Official Number: 122709
Yard Number: 784
Gross Tonnage: 227
Net Tonnage: 111
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built; Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by W.V.V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge, Glasgow
16.10.1905: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.784) for J. E. Rushworth & R. Atkinson, Grimsby as TUBAL CAIN.
21.11.1905: Registered at Grimsby (GY88). J. E. Rushworth designated managing owner. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
8.1914: On an trip to Iceland grounds (Sk. William Charles Smith).
7.8.1914: When some 50 miles WNW of Stalberg, west coast of Iceland, stopped by armed German liner KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE (Kapitän Max Reymann, 14349grt/1897). Crew taken prisoner and sunk by gunfire.
09.08.1914: Grimsby registry closed “Sunk by German cruiser”.
26.8.1914: Coaling and re-provisioning at Rio de Oro, Spanish Sahara, west Africa when the cruiser HMS HIGHFLIER (Capt Henry Buller RN) arrived off the bay. Skipper and crew put aboard the collier ARUCAS (2317grt/1914) which sailed for Las Palmas. Following a brief engagement, KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE was scuttled by her crew and HIGHFLIER, conscious of having breached Spanish neutrality, left the area.
28.8.1914: Arrived Las Palmas, crew put ashore, contacted owners.
29.8.2014: Embarked for London.
02/03/2018: Page published.