No user registrations
Because of attacks by spammers and hackers I have, after much consideration, decided to stop allowing user registration on this site and I’ve deleted all current users.
I was forced to take this regrettable action after discovering a Trojan infection and browser re-direct had been embedded.
I hope you will understand that this course of action is designed to protect users of this site and to allow them to continue to browse it as normal.
Official Number: 67134
Net Tonnage: 35
Built: Whitehaven, 1872
1872: Built Whitehaven for William Leech, Fleetwood as Emma Maria.
1872: Registered at Fleetwood (FD85).
1880/81: Sold to Joseph Bird, Fleetwood.
1982: Sold to Joseph Kitchingman, Liverpool.
By 1887: Sold to John Davies, 20 Marmion Road, Hoylake. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Liverpool (LL70).
23.12.1900: Reported ashore by “61 perch” Liverpool Bay. Crew safe. Total loss. 1901: Refloated, repaired and returned to service.
1908/09: Sold to Joseph R. Foulkes, Port Dinorwic & others. Joseph R. Foulkes designated managing owner.
1911: Liverpool registry closed.
19/05/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham and Jan Harteveld
Official Number: 99575
Yard Number: 90
Gross Tonnage: 132.72
Net Tonnage: 54
Length: 95.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Hull
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes, Hull
1892: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.90) for Hull Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as MELBOURNE.
23.6.1892: Registered at Hull (H200). Henry Toozes appointed manager.
1.1913: Bloomfields Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth joined the Russian fishing syndicate, The Russian Northern Maritime Industries, the object of which was “Fishing, trading in fish and the exploitation of the riches of the sea of any kind whatever under the Russian flag’.
31.3.1912: Sold to W. A. Massey & Son Ltd, Hull, shipbrokers.
4.1913: Sold to Bloomfields Ltd, Gt Yarmouth on behalf of the syndicate for the sum of £875. Refurbished and outfitted for drift netting at a cost of £800.
2.5.1913: Hull registry closed. Registered at Archangel as PECHA (sometimes recorded as PESHA). Charles Jourieff Spahde, St. Petersburg appointed manager.
5.1913: Sailed Gt Yarmouth for Archangel (Sk.William James Empson Green); six hands all told.
5.1913: Arrived Archangel, coaled and took onboard a number of Russian fishermen.
13.6.1913: Sailed Archangel for fishing grounds. No fish found and returned to Archangel.
20.6.1913: Sailed Archangel for Barents Sea; fished but still without success.
27.6.1912: As previously agreed moved to Shetland waters and engaged with other drifters in the seasonal herring fishery.
9.1913: Arrived back in Yarmouth, Russian fishermen returned home.
10.1913: Bloomfields assumed sole ownership (64/64).
10.1913: Remeasured 126g 57n.
21.10.1913: Registered at Yarmouth as OCEAN COMRADE (YH405). James Bloomfield appointed manager. Engaged in the ‘Home Fishing’.
3.1914: Bloomfields informed the Russians that they would take sole ownership of the steam drifter (see 10.1913).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper but fitted out as support for A/S net drifters (Ad.No.160).
2.1.1915: Sailed Lowestoft for Dover in company with HM drifters NINE SISTERS (Ad.No.157) (LT608), SEDULOUS (Ad.No.158) (YH2) and YOUNG FISHERMAN (Ad.No.159) (LT141).
1.3.1918: Sold to William Masson (24/64), Andrew Lewis (20/64), T. Christie (20/64), all Aberdeen. Andrew Lewis designated managing owner.
3.1918: Returned to owner. Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
18.12.1918: William Masson shares (10/64) sold to R. Masson (10/64), Aberdeen.
1.1.1919: William Masson shares (14/64) sold to I. Masson (6/64), J.Masson (6/64), T. Masson (2/64).
2.6.1928: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maatschappij “Beka”, IJmuiden (Broertjes en Knechtjens).
3.6.1928: Yarmouth registry closed.
6.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as BEKA (IJM78).
2.7.1929: Sailed IJmuiden for fishing grounds (Sk. A. Groen).
4.6.1929: Towing at about 2 knots about 22n miles NNW of Norderney Light vessel. At 22.30 experienced a light shock and thinking trawl had come fast stopped engine; on port side was German auxiliary motor fishing vessel ELLA (HF-284) using a light to ascertain name and number of BEKA which was damaged on port bow. Hailed and Germans confirmed they were not in any danger but needed to retrieve their gear
which was entangled with that of BEKA. About half an hour later gear was cleared and winch was heard recovering lines and on completion sailed away in ESE direction, lights partly obscured by sails. BEKA resumed fishing. ELLA subsequently foundered, her skipper claiming that BEKA had switched off all her lights and disappeared in the darkness offering no assistance. This was denied by skipper and crew of
1.10.1930: Company declared bankrupt.
31.1.1931(regd): Sold to Cols Durrant (64/64), Lowestoft.
31.1.1931: Registered at Lowestoft as OCEAN COMRADE (LT244).
2.2.1931: Sold to William Barnard (64/64), Lowestoft. William Barnard designated managing owner.
1936: White fish trawling from Fleetwood (Hewett Steam Fishing Co Ltd agents).
4.1937: Sold to German principals for breaking up. Seized by German Authorities whilst fishing.
26.4.1937: Lowestoft registry closed.
30.4.1937: Certificate returned by British Consul General, Hamburg
30/04/2016: Page published.
Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Birgir Þórisson
Official Number: 110904
Yard Number: 124
Gross Tonnage: 268
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee
T.3-cyl (540ihp) and boiler by Cooper & Greig, Dundee
1899: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilders’ Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.124) for The Grimsby Castle Line Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as BALMORAL CASTLE.
8.1899: Completed as a well vessel.
25.8.1899: Registered at Grimsby (GY530).
25.8.1899: Robert W. Windeatt appointed manager.
6.1908: Sold to Maats “Friesland”, IJmuiden.
29.6.1908: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1908: Registered at IJmuiden as FRIESLAND (IJM109).
5.1909: Sold to Arthur Smith, Grimsby.
5.5.1909: Registered at Grimsby as FRIESLAND (GY459).
5.5.1909: Alick Black appointed manager. Converted to a trawler. Well closed by rivets. Fishing from Fleetwood.
20.2.1911: Arrived Fleetwood with 600 boxes of hake caught off the Moroccan coast, £600 – £700 gross.
1914: Sold to Henry Burns and W. Burns, Grimsby for the sum of £4,000.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service and converted to a boom defence vessel (1-12pdr).
1917: Sold to The Zaree Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £9,000. Henry Burns appointed manager.
9.1919: Returned to owners without being reconditioned, the company being allowed £3,630 for the necessary reconditioning work.
10.10.1919: Sailed Grimsby on first trip after reconditioning.
6.1920: Dry-docked for inspection, cleaning and painting.
12.1920: Laid up in Alexandra Dock which was also the timber pound.
6.5.1921: Manager ordered vessel prepared for sea, intending to make one trip to avoid dock dues. Engineering Superintendent, Mr Waddingham, advised dry-docking to inspect bottom but this was not pursued by the manager.
7.5.1921: Steam raised.
11.5.1921: Insured with Lloyds for the sum of £10,000 for one month from this date. Book value £6,000.
12.5.1921: Sailed Grimsby at 9.30am. for North Sea grounds (Sk. Henry Ormonde); ten hands all told. Weather fine, sea calm and slight SE breeze. Shortly after noon, deckhand Anderson went into the engine room to see his friend the 2nd Eng and noticed water in the bilge and the engine connecting rod bottom ends were splashing in water as they revolved. The 2nd responded saying, “Yes, the ship is leaking”. The water ingress was not reported to the skipper. At dinner shortly after 1.00pm. the third hand asked the 2nd how the ship was going and he replied, she was “ leaking like a basket”. The third hand asked if it was a case of going back but the 2nd replied that he did not know. This conversation was confirmed by others present. The skipper was not informed. At 2.00pm. the trimmer, John Love, who had listened to the conversation after dinner went into the engine room to get a lamp and observed that the cranks were splashing around in the crank pit. At 3.45pm. the Ch Eng noticed a knocking in the high pressure crank bearing and asked the second hand who was on watch to stop the ship so he could inspect and tighten up. The nuts were tightened and the engine restarted but after about twenty minutes the 2nd called for the Ch Eng. and on arriving in the engine room saw that water was rushing in. The ejector and the donkey pump was started but the water was quickly over the plates and the shipside valve for the ejector was under water and could not be opened up. In the stokehold the water had risen so much that the boiler could not be fired. The skipper was called and on seeing the amount of water, knee deep over the engine room plates, ran on deck and by steam whistle and flag signalled the steam trawler NAIRANA (H528) which had just overtaken them, to come to their assistance. The NAIRANA some three miles away immediately turned and came within hailing distance. The crew had set to work with the hand pump and buckets but were quite unable to deal with the ingress of water. The water rose and put out the fires and shortly after the engine stopped. The NAIRANA came alongside, connected and for about three-quarters of an hour towed towards the coast but the vessel started to settle and the skipper thought it advisable to to let go the tow line and he and the crew got into the boat which they had previously tuned out. At about 6.15pm. they all boarded the NAIRANA. At about this time the Hull trawler TANJORE (H759), homeward from the fishing grounds came on the scene. The three skippers and the mate and Ch Eng of the FRIESLAND went back onboard but it was evident that nothing could be done to save the ship. At about 7.30pm. the FRIESLAND foundered sinking stern first in position about 25 miles NE1/2E from Spurn lightship. The crew transferred to the TANJORE and proceeded to Hull, the FRIESLAND crew later transferring to the Grimsby trawler ELITE (GY100) which landed them safely at Grimsby with most of their belongings.
12.5.1921: Grimsby registry closed. “Vessel foundered”.
5.9.1921: Following the formal investigation held at Grimsby, the Court found that the FRIESLAND was lost by foundering in consequence of the inrush of water, the cause of which the Court is compelled to leave undetermined. The Court also considers Mr. Henry Burns to blame for not accepting Mr. Waddingham’s suggestion that she should be dry-docked and thoroughly examined before she went to sea, and ordered him to pay £200 towards the costs of the Inquiry. The Chief and 2nd Engineers deserve severe censure for not having informed the skipper that the vessel was making water at a much earlier time than they did. Their default in this matter greatly reduced the chance of the vessel being turned round and regaining the land before foundering.
Click to enlarge image
24/01/2016: Page published.
28/01/2016: Picture added and information updated.
Official Number: 17219
Net Tonnage: (34) 29
Rig: – smack
1825: Completed at Cowes as PURSUIT.
1854: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
1970: Owned by Robert Wilson, Fleetwood
18/01/2015: Page published.