Additional information courtesy of Christine Simm
Official Number: 63932
Gross Tonnage: 38
Net Tonnage: 25
Length: 57 ft
Rig: Smack – trawling & lining
Built: John Gibson, Fleetwood
16.12.1870: Completed by John Gibson, Fleetwood (Yd.No.14) for Thomas Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others as WONDER.
3.1.1871: Registered at Fleetwood (FD68).
1881: Census at Fleetwood – John Leadbetter (36), b-North Meols, master; John Leadbetter (38), b-North Meols, mate; Spencer Sumner (26), b-Warton, AB; William Leadbetter (15), b-Fleetwood, AB: Robert Leadbetter (13), b-Fleetwood, cook.
24.10.1887: Sold to John Leadbetter, Fleetwood & others (John Leadbetter, managing owner).
25.10.1890: Taking advantage of a favourable breeze some thirty smacks left for the fishing grounds. The Harbour Authorities were constructing a groyne near the Lower Shore Light with piles driven in. Along with YOUNG WALKER (FD47), ROBERT and ANN (FD98) and FLEETWING (FD63) ran amongst the piles. Drove one or two piles down but FLEETWING was holed and had to put back into harbour with pumps manned.
1910: Owned by Richard Ashcroft.
1918: Sold to Thomas W. Dixon, 38 James Street, Whitehaven (managing owner).
23.2.1922: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (WA16).
By1929: Thomas W. Dixon, 4 Market Place, Whitehaven.
1929: Whitehaven registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
24/02/2009: Page published.
01/03/2015: Minor information update.
23/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.
11/06/2022: Updated information.
03/10/2022: Added an image.
24/10/2022: Added an image.