Tag Archives: Lost

S.T. Robinia GY1147

In Parkes (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not sail from Fleetwood
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 110944
Yard Number: 18
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 207.53
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 116.3 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Schofield, Hagerup & Doughty Ltd, Grimsby
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull

History

1900: Launched by Schofield, Hagerup & Doughty Ltd, Grimsby (Yd.No.18) for The North Eastern Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as ROBINIA.
28.2.1900: Builder’s Certificate issued.
2.3.1900: Registered at Grimsby (GY1147).
2.3.1900: George Doughty, Waltham Hall appointed manager.
3.1900: Completed.
20.12.1900: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Law Guarantee & Trust Society Ltd, London (A).
31.12.1908: Mortgage (A) discharged.
31.12.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Law Guarantee, Trust Society & Accident Soviety Ltd, London (B).
26.1.1914: Mortgage (B) discharged.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
1919: New boiler fitted.
29.11.1919: Sold to Thomas William Baskcomb, Grimsby.
11.1919: Thomas William Baskcomb designated managing owner.
1.12.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (C).
22.10.1935: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (C) to Fred Parkes, Blackpool and Fleetwood.
24.10.1935: Sold to T. C. & F. Moss Ltd, Grimsby.
10.1935: William T. Moss appointed managing owner.
11.12.1940: Outwards for Icelandic grounds. Mined in British defensive Northern Mine Barrage (laid in Operation ‘SN’) in position 62.20N 12.40W. All crew saved.
28.3.1941: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel sunk off coast of Iceland on 10 December 1940 through striking a mine”.

Click to enlarge images

Robinia Builders Certificate

Robinia Builders Certificate

S.T. Robinia GY1147

S.T. Robinia GY1147
Picture courtesy of The Grimsby Telegraph

Changelog
17/06/2010: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
09/08/2014: Information updated and picture added.
20/08/2014: Picture added.
18/08/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Moravia GY1018

Technical

Official Number: 139931
Yard Number: 350
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 307
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 130.2 ft
Breadth: 23.0 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

28.10.1916: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No350) for The Great Grimsby & East Coast Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as MORAVIA.
13.1.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1018).
2.1917: Completed (Walter W. Butt, manager).
6.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1272).
1919: Returned to owner.
9.1.1932: On an Icelandic trip sustained heavy weather damage to wheelhouse, funnel, boat and mizzen swept away. Skipper and one hand washed overboard and lost. After thirty-six hours drifting found by Hull trawler CAPE GRISNEZ (H84), connected and towed approx 900 miles to Grimsby.
6.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £89.5.0d/month).
4.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1819).
14.1.1942: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
14.3.1943: Mined in the North Sea in approx position 52 15N 01 48E (Ty/Sk. Lieut. H. R. Pook RNR). One crewman MPK.
1943: Grimsby registry closed.

(MPK – Edward D. Alexander, Seaman)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Moravia GY1018

S.T. Moravia GY1018
Picture courtesy of Jeffrey Pullen

Changelog
16/06/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/03/2015: Picture added.
17/08/2018: Removed FMHT watermark.

S.T. Magnolia GY482 (2)

In Parkes ownership. Did not fish from Fleetwood.
Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 137026
Yard Number: 181
Completed: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 259.76
Net Tonnage: 103.37
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: 495ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Gt. Central Co-op Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby

History

7.6.1909: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.181) for G. E. Forum, Esbjerg as KONG FREDERIK III.
27.7.1909: Completed. Registered at Fanö (F145).
24.11.1914: Arrived Fleetwood on evening tide, searched by Customs officials and detained to await instructions from The Admiralty.
4.1915: Sold to Frank Barrett (64/64), Grimsby (BoT Minute M4711/1915).
4.1915: Fanö registry closed.
14.4.1915: Frank Barrett designated managing owner.
1915: Alterations following BoT survey at Grimsby dated 4.12.1915.
15.4.1915: Registered at Grimsby (GY482) (O.N.137026).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.2659). Renamed KONG FREDERIK.
13.2.1918: Picked up from boat crew of HM Trawler SARDIUS II (Ad.No.3357) (GY1140) inwards to Falmouth Bay which struck Runnelstone Rock. Badly holed drifted into Pendower Cove and became a total wreck. Landed survivors at Penzance.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
22.12.1919: Registered at Grimsby as KING FREDERIK III (GY482) (BoT Minute M.12433-19 dated 27.10.1919).
21.1.1920: Sold to Direct Fish Supplies Ltd (64/64), London.
21.1.1920: George William Payne Margarson, Grimsby appointed manager.
27.1.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (A).
23.3.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation.
10.8.1922: Placed in compulsory liquidation.
6.9.1922: Sold under mortgage (A) to Thomas William Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby (managing owner).
6.9.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
12.9.1922: Thomas William Baskcomb designated managing owner.
22.3.1928: Registered at Grimsby as MAGNOLIA (GY482) (BoT Minute M/RG 1076/1928 dated 10.3.1928).
22.10.1935: Sold under mortgage (B) to Fred Parkes (64/64), Fleetwood & Blackpool.
28.10.1935: Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys appointed manager.
28.10.1935: Sold to Harry Norman Franklin (64/64), Grimsby.
30.10.1935: Harry Norman Franklin designated managing owner.
7.11.1935: Harry N. Franklin sold shares 43/64) to Harry Franklin Ltd (43/64), Grimsby.
7.11.1935: Harry N. Franklin sold shares (21/64) to Sk. James Hendry (21/64), Grimsby.
7.11.1935: James Hendry shares (21/64) mortgaged to Harry Franklin Ltd, Grimsby (C).
9.11.1935: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
30.12.1935: Harry Franklin Ltd shares (43/64) mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (D).
31.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S trawler. Renamed GLACIER (P.No.4.257) (Hire rate £65.0.0d/month).
9.1941: Employed on balloon barrage.
1.1.1944: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.1.1944: Sk. James Hendry sold shares (21/64) to East Anglian Fish Selling Co Ltd (21/64), Grimsby.
11.1.1944: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
28.6.1944: Returned to owner and reverted to MAGNOLIA (GY482).
13.4.1946: Mortgage (D) discharged.
19.8.1952: On a North Sea trip (Sk. Stanley Wing) in a heavy swell 45 miles NE of Spurn Light Vessel started to take in water. Steam trawler ROSE of ENGLAND (GY 236) (Sk. Alf Walker), which had just landed left Grimsby with remaining crew (five) and a pump. Found casualty down by stern, transferred pump and connected, but in turning for the Humber seas swept over the stern and pump washed overboard.
20.8.1952: After nineteen hours under tow, started to settle and quickly foundered. Crew jumped in sea to be picked up by ROSE of ENGLAND, but three men lost*.
24.9.1952: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel foundered on 26th August 1952”.

(*Lost – Sk. Stanley Wing; Ch.Eng Albert Forster and deckhand Roland Willis)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Magnolia GY482

S.T. Magnolia GY482
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

Changelog
14/06/2010: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
13/12/2014: Information updated.
13/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.

S.T. Honora GY374

In Parkes Ownership. Did not fish from Fleetwood

Technical

Official Number: 146898
Yard Number: 13
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 394
Net Tonnage: 154
Length: 140.8 ft
Breadth: 25.2 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Goldie & McCulloch Co Ltd, Galt, Ontario
Built: Foundation Co, Savannah, Ga

History

1919: Launched by Foundation Co, Savannah, Ga (Yd.No.13) for the Government of France, Paris as WATTIGNIES.
1919: Completed as a minesweeper for the Marine Francaise.
1920: Sold to Pêcheries de L’Ouest S.A., Fécamp. Renamed BOIS DES CAURES.
1925: Re-possessed by bank and laid up at Fécamp.
12.1925: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool (managing owner) (en bloc with Bois des Buttes and Magenta for c£5,000).
23.12.1925: Registered at Grimsby as HONORA (GY374).
5.1926: Sold to Luis Mitre y Manuel Rodriguez Giles, Buenos Aires.
19.6.1926: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Buenos Aires.
1926: Re measured 194n.
6.1926: Sailed Grimsby to bunker at Boulogne due to Miner’s Strike, before sailing for South America.
1927: Sold to Empreza Rodriguez Giles, Buenos Aires.
1931: Sold to Manuel Rodriguez Giles, Buenos Aires.
27.8.1933: Wrecked near Maldonado, Uruguay (River Plate estuary).

Changelog

11/06/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Bois des Buttes ??

In Parkes ownership. Did not fish from Fleetwood

Technical

Official Number (USA): 227162
Yard Number: 12
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 362
Net Tonnage: 108
Length: 140.8 ft
Breadth: 25.2 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Goldie & McCulloch Co Ltd, Galt, Ontario
Built: Foundation Co, Savannah, Ga

History

1919: Launched by Foundation Co, Savannah, Ga (Yd.No.12) for Government of France, Paris as HONDSHOOTE.
1919: Completed as a minesweeper for the Marine Francaise.
1920: Sold to Pêcheries de L’Ouest S.A., Fécamp. Renamed BOIS des BUTTES.
1925: Re-possessed by bank and laid up at Fécamp.
1925: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool (en bloc with BOIS des CAURES and MAGENTA for c£5,000). Not registered in UK (B. A. Parkes, Grimsby, manager).
1926: Sailing under French flag as a ‘tug’ during General/Miner’s Strike shipping coal to UK.
1928: Sold to Bay State Fishing Co, East Boston, Mass. Fécamp registry closed. Registered at Boston, Mass as BREEZE. (US.O.N.227162).
1928: Re measured 384g 261n.
1938: Sold to Seaboard Navigation Co, Boston, Mass. Renamed KENNEBEC.
1938: Converted to cargo. Re measured 400g 232n.
1940: Sold to Government of France, Paris (Marine Francais) and fitted out as a minesweeper. Boston, Mass registry closed. Renamed La QUIMPEROISE.
22.6.1940: French government signed surrender. ‘Demobilised and disarmed’ under German control. Commissioned into the Kriegsmarine (P.No.M.4000). Re-numbered (P.No.M.4009).
12.2.1945: Scuttled in River Loire.

Changelog

11/06/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.