Tag Archives: Seasonal

S.D/T. Glen Heather LT62 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 135761
Yard Number: 146
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 95
Net Tonnage: 40
Length: 85.8 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.15 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth

History

1913: Launched by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth (Yd.No.146) for H. R. Broadley Ltd, Lowestoft as GLEN HEATHER.
7.1913: Completed (Henry C. Broadley, manager).
29.7.1913: Registered at Lowestoft (LT62).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1866). Based in Aegean Sea.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Lowestoft (H. R. Broadley Ltd, Lowestoft).
28.1.1920: Disabled with nets in propeller. Steam trawler EXETER (GY426) connected and delivered Lowestoft.
22.7.1931: Sold to George Mitchell, Lowestoft (managing owner).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (William Head, managing agent).
21.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.556) (Hire rate £27.13.6d/month).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Ty/Sk. S. J. Catchpole RNR).
1942: Based Milford LL sweep drifter (Ty/Sk. F. A. Nunn RNR).
11.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
12.10.1945: Returned to owner.
1948: Sold for breaking up.
17.11.1948: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Glen Heather LT62

S.D/T. Glen Heather LT62
Painting courtesy of Percy John Scarle

Changelog

22/02/2011: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.D/T. Seasons’ Gift LT127 (Seasonal)

Wartime visitor
Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139821
Yard Number: 544
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by James Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.544) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as SANDSTORM (Ad.No.3907).
31.5.1918: Completed (1-6pdr).
12.7.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
10.1920: Sold to Thomas Gilmour, Aberdeen (John H. Harrow, manager).
4.11.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as GLENBRECK (A381).
9.1923: Repossessed by The Admiralty.
3.9.1923: Aberdeen registry closed “Sold to Admiralty”.
10.1923: Sold to Thomas Thorburn Irvin, Aberdeen (managing owner).
16.10.1923: Aberdeen registry re-opened.
2.1924: Sold to John Dougal & David Dougal, Eyemouth (David Dougal managing owner)
26.2.1924: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1924: Registered at Berwick as RIVER EYE (BK3).
1926: Registered at Berwick as OLDEN TIMES (BK3).
12.1929: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
20.12.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT127).
31.1.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as SEASONS’ GIFT (LT127).
14.2.1930: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole (32/64) & Ernest George Catchpole (32/64), Lowestoft (Stanley Edward Catchpole, manager).
4.2.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
7.7.1931: Sold to Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane (32/64), Lowestoft & Isaac Alexander Kemp (32/64), Kessingland (Frederick Ernest Beane, manager). 27.2.1939: Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane, Lowestoft.
26.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service on balloon barrage (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
27.4.1940: Returned to owner.
1940-1945: Trawling from Fleetwood.
24.2.1941: In Wyre channel in collision with Icelandic wooden motor fishing vessel HELGI (115grt/1939).
3.1.1942: Frederick Ernest Beane died.
7.4.1943: Transferred to Mrs Margaret Beane, Lowestoft.
1946-1950: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
1954: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
17.5.1954: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.
12.8.1954: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog

21/02/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 161639
Yard Number: 251
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 138
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 95.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 9.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co (R.H. Hutchinson), Gt Yarmouth (Engine No.618)
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: King’s Lynn Slipway Co Ltd, King’s Lynn

History

1930: Launched by King’s Lynn Slipway Co Ltd, King’s Lynn (Yd.No.251) for Henry James Eastick, Gorleston as LYDIA EVA. Towed to Gt. Yarmouth for machinery fit.
22.7.1930: Engine trials.
23.7.1930: Registered at Yarmouth (YH89).
26.7.1930: Mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, City of London (A).
8.1930: Completed (Built at King’s Lynn by Tyneside labour due to industrial action at Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents). (Fished more successfully as a trawler as herring drift nets damaged by bluff bow. Also used as a herring carrier).
11.10.1937: At Yarmouth landed 221 crans of herring.
12.1938: Last landing at Yarmouth.
21.10.1939: Sold to South Caernarvonshire Yacht Co Ltd, Pwllhelli for £800 under mortgage (A). Converted and re classified as a salvage vessel for Air Ministry contract associated with Pwllheli and other West coast Bombing & Gunnery Ranges.
18.1.1940: Mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, City of London (B).
1940: South Caernarvonshire Yacht Co Ltd t/a Western Marine Craft Ltd, Pwllheli.
10.12.1942: Requisitioned for war service with Ministry of Aircraft Production (Hire rate £50.0.0d/month).
27.5.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T (Ministry of Aircraft Production). Further converted at Abersoch for cargo with strengthened main mast and derrick ((John Deheer Ltd, Grimsby (Pwllheli), manager).
4.9.1943: Yarmouth registry closed except as far as relates to mortgage (B). “Registry no longer required”.
7.1943: Registered at London.
1943-1945: Based Abersoch, Pwllheli and Ilfracombe.
1945: Transferred to Maryport, attendant to Mawbray Bombing Range.
1947: Transferred to Weymouth.
1.4.1947: Sold to Air Ministry, London. Registered at London as WATCHMOOR.
1948-1952: Based Milford, Watchet, Appledore, London, Cardiff and Pembroke Dock.
1952: Transferred to Whitehaven.
21.12.1965: Proposed to transfer all MOD (Air) vessels to MOD (Navy).
1966: Rebuilt on Tyneside with new wheelhouse and new boiler by Stockton Chemical Engineers & Riley Boilers Ltd, Stockton on Tees (Boiler made 1961).
1.4.1966: Transferred to Director of Marine Services (DMS), Bath. British registry closed. Based Pembroke Dock, crew on D606 articles.
6.1966: In Cardigan Bay experienced engine problems. EMPIRE NETTA (290grt/1945) connected and delivered Holyhead.
1967-1968: Various duties as required by DMS.
1968: Declared surplus to requirements. De-equipped and laid up at Pembroke Dock.
1969: Sold to Turner & Hickman Ltd, Glasgow.
1972: Sold to The Maritime Trust. Docked and overhauled in Penzance by Holman & Sons Ltd.
1.10.1972: Arrived Gt. Yarmouth.
1972: Registered at Yarmouth as LYDIA EVA.
1973: Rebuilt by George Overy Ltd, Lowestoft.
1973-1978: Following partial restoration at Lowestoft, static display at Gt. Yarmouth.
1978-1986: Static display at St. Kathrines Dock, London.
1986-1990: Exhibition closed. Laid up in West India Dock.
1989: Lydia Eva Charitable Trust formed.
1990: Sold to Trust for £1.00.
30.6.1990: Arrived Gt. Yarmouth in tow of HECTOR READ (65grt/1966).
2000: Slipped at Lowestoft but on survey found to need extensive shell plate renewals. Laid up in Lake Lothing.
12.2006: Application for Heritage Lottery Funding successful (£839,000).
1.3.2007-18.3.2008: Slipped by Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft for survey and 60% shell plating and some frame renewals, deck relaid, electrical installation update, start of machinery overhaul.
9.2008: Towed to Gt. Yarmouth for Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival.
10.2008-20.5.2009: At Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft to complete boilerwork, museum and after cabin fit out.
10.2008: Returned to Lowestoft.
3.2009: In steam, successful boiler trial.
20.5.2009: Returned to Gt. Yarmouth.
12.2009: Arrived Lowestoft from Gt. Yarmouth under tow.
12.2009-2010: Continued refurbishment by Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft.
3.2010: Successful steaming trials in Lake Lothing.
15.5.2010: Steamed to Gt. Yarmouth. Open to visitors.
14.12.2010: Steamed to Lowestoft for further work by Small & Co Ltd. Laid over adjacent to Laundry Lane slip.
2011: Still in steam.

Click to see Lydia Eva under steam
Video courtesy of CanaryCity (YouTube)

Click to enlarge images
© Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of James Holt

Watchmoor

Watchmoor
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of The Maureen Tatlow Collection

Changelog
13/02/2011: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/12/2015: Picture added.
09/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 146044
Yard Number: 568
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.568) ) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WATERSHED (Ad.No.4127).
18.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.10.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for disposal.
23.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft on Part IV Register (LT628).
27.7.1921: Lowestoft registry closed By Order of Chief Registrar of Shipping. “To be registered under Part I in London”.
7.1921: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London (No.401 of1921).
9.1921: Sold to Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. Croft Baker, manager).
9.1921: London registry closed.
12.9.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1302).
26.6.1922: Registered at Grimsby as SALVIAN (GY1302).
4.1923: Sold to Havre Pêcheries Co, Havre.
7.5.1923: Grimsby registry closed.
5.1923: Registered at Le Havre as SANVIE.
1924: Sold to James Ritchie, Gardenstown & others. Le Havre registry closed. Registered at Banff as CONVALLARIA (BF51).
27.11.1930: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
11.1930: Banff registry closed.
27.11.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT247).
9.7.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agent).
30.3.1937: Re-possessed by mortgagee Peacock & Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Frederick Beane, manager).
12.8.1938: Sold to James Ritchie, Fraserburgh.
22.8.1938: Lowestoft registry closed.
3.9.1938: Registered at Banff (BF497).
1939: Sold to Mrs Jane A. Ritchie, Fraserburgh & others.
10.4.1940: requisitioned for war service on harbour defence patrol (Hire rate £17.17.10d/month).
10.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Sold to Albert Sutton & A. R. Sutton, Scarborough.
26.3.1946: Returned to owners. Fishing from Lowestoft.
1954: Sold for breaking up. Banff registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog

28/01/2011: Page published. 6 updates since then.
08/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/T. Fellowship LT65 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 135090
Yard Number: 154
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 99
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 87.80 ft
Breadth: 18.7 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees

History

1914: Launched by Livingstone & Cooper Ltd, Hessle (Yd.No.154) for John Thomas Cullen Salmon, Gt. Yarmouth as THE MAJESTY.
22.9.1914: Registered at Yarmouth (YH25).
10.1914: Completed for The Crown Steam Drifters Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth (George Herbert Hansell, manager).
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1033). Based Larne.
1919: Returned to owner.
1920s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
7.6.1924: Sold to Harry Baxter (16/64), Lowestoft; Edward Catchpole (16/64), Kessingland; Charles William Dance (16/64) and John Utting (16/64), Lowestoft (Edward Catchpole, manager).
16.6.1924: Yarmouth registry closed.
17.6.1924: Registered at Lowestoft (LT65).
16.7.1924: Registered at Lowestoft as FELLOWSHIP (LT65).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
6.3.1931: Off Padstow, broke rudder.
6.3.1931: Damaged in collision with OCEAN RAMBLER (YH727) in Padstow Harbour.
21.8.1933: At Fraserburgh with damaged propeller.
21.8.1933: Connected to BOY SCOUT (LT17) disabled and delivered Lerwick.
2.8.1938: At Lerwick with damaged propeller.
1939: R. Catchpole, Lowestoft appointed manager.
16.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service (Hire rate £27.0.0d/month).
1940: To Mediterranean as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £27.13.6d/month). Based Suda Bay (Ty S/Lieut. S. Barrie RNR).
7.1941: Based Suez Canal area with M/S Group 40 (Ty S/Lieut E. Saul RNVR).
24.10.1941: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1946: FATE?

Changelog

26/01/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.