Tag Archives: Transvaal STC

S.T. Transvaal FD381

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall
Technical

Official Number: 138979
Yard Number: 658
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 250
Net Tonnage: 119
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

9.12.1915: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.658) for Henry L. Taylor & Staff, Grimsby as TRANSVAAL.
9.8.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY953).
15.8.1916: Completed (Henry L. Taylor, manager). Requisitioned by The Admiralty from the builders and fitted out as mine sweeper (1-12pdr, 1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3307). Based Peterhead.
12.7.1917: Arrived on the fishing grounds (Lieut W.E. Dawson RNR), escorting the Fraserburgh fleet. At 6.00pm. heard gunfire and discovered a submarine attacking the sailing drifters SPIDER (BF279) and SURPRISE (BF2008). At 7.10pm. engaged with 12pdr and 6 pdr and pursued. Submarine dived and at 7.20pm. depth charges dropped. At 8.00 pm. joined by HM Drifter CLOVER (BF323) (Ad.No.4329) but submarine escaped.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby (Henry L. Taylor, manager).
12.1919: Sold to Henry L. Taylor & H. G. Hopwood, Grimsby.
12.1919: Sold to Melville Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. (Herbert M. Johns, manager).
26.10.1920: Grimsby registry closed.
27.10.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD381).
26.11.1923: Sold to The Transvaal Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager).
2.12.1935: Went to assistance of steam trawler CAVE (H643) which had run aground entering Stornoway harbour. Connected, refloated and assisted to berth.
1.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and designated for minesweeping duties (magnetic)(Hire rate £70.16.8d/month).
20.1.1940: Returned.
9.6.1941: Sold to Basil A. Parkes, Fleetwood.
1.12.1941: Sold to The Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
11.8.1942: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a fuelling trawler(Esso) (33ton tank for refuelling diesel landing craft) (P.No.Y.7.45). Mediterranean Command.
6.1944: Operation Neptune-Normandy landings. Assigned as a fuelling trawler to Force O.
18.11.1944: Foundered in English Channel in severe weather conditions (Off hire 17.11.1944). All crew MPK.
14.12.1945: Fleetwood registry closed. (CHR has some anomalies in dates).

(MPK – Ty/Sk.Thomas Threlfall RNR; Herbert W. Cook, 2nd Hand; Dennis Reaney & Laurence J. Smith, Enginemen; William Hamblett, George T. King, James McCourt, John E. Pharaoh, Joseph C. Vorley, Eric Walker, Herbert D. Ward & James Watson, seamen; Jack Edwards, Alfred Lloyd & Joseph Skayman, stokers; Alexander Smith, Ldg Cook; Thomas P. Kelly, Signalman; James J.Rogers Ord. Telegraphist.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Transvaal FD381

S.T. Transvaal FD381

Changelog
24/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
28/07/2016: Information added.
10/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Chieftain FD30

Additional information courtesy of George Westwood

Technical

Official Number: 121095
Yard Number: 86
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 278
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 133.4 ft
Breadth: 22.3 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: 70NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Speed 10.5 knots

History

28.9.1905: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.86) for The Marine Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Walton, manager) as CHIEFTAIN.
2.12.1905: Completed.
11.12.1905: Registered at Hull (H847).
1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.945).
30.10.1918: Sold to Thomas Round, Roker, Sunderland (Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough, manager).
1919: Returned to owner.
7.2.1919: Hull registry closed.
10.2.1919: Registered at Scarborough (SH21).
14.2.1919: Sold to Thomas Round, Roker (48/64), Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough (16/64) (Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough, manager).
17.2.1919: Sold to Thomas Round, Roker (32/64), Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough (16/64) and Charles William Dorkin, Sunderland (16/64) (Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough, manager).
21.2.1919: Sold to Thomas Round, Roker (16/64), Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough (16/64), Charles William Dorkin, Sunderland (16/64) and George William Tindall, Scarborough (32/64) (Thomas Whitehead, Scarborough, manager).
10.1919: Sold to The East Riding Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Charles Hudson, Hessle, manager).
17.10.1919: Scarborough registry closed.
18.10.1919: Registered at Hull (H93).
1.924: Sold to Hudson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Thomas Hudson, managers).
5.1926: Sold to Robson Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Robson Preston, Poulton-le-Fylde, manager).
27.5.1929: Hull registry closed.
28.5.1929: Registered at Fleetwood (FD30).
15.12.1932: Sold to Transvaal Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager).
1936: Sold for breaking up.
26.6.1936: Fleetwood registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Chieftan FD30

S.T. Chieftain H847
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Chieftan FD30

S.T. Chieftain FD30
Picture from the Osta Collection

S.T. Chieftain FD30

S.T. Chieftain FD30
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog
18/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Strathlethen A984

Technical

Official Number: 129347
Yard Number: 482
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 191.70
Net Tonnage: 73.75
Length: 112.75 ft
Breadth: 21.90 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

19.10.1910: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.482) for The Aberdeen Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STRATHELTHEN.
5.1.1911: Registered at Aberdeen (A340).
1.1911: Completed. John Brown designated manager.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as an accommodation ship for boom working vessels (1-3pdr). Based Scapa.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Aberdeen.
1919: Sold to Wallace L. Mullender, Walter Shipp & William Hutchings, Lowestoft.
13.8.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
15.8.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT493). Walter Shipp designated managing owner.
1923: Sold to John Craig, James Craig, George Craig & Joseph Craig, Aberdeen. John Craig designated managing owner.
12.10.1923: Lowestoft registry closed.
23.10.1923: Registered at Aberdeen (A948).
29.4.1932: In dense fog 6 miles off Aberdeen in collision with trawler BRACONASH (A728) which subsequently foundered. Crew picked up and landed Aberdeen.
29.12.1933: Entering Aberdeen in gale and heavy seas, carried away steering chains and struck north pier. Damaged and taken in tow by steam tug CHESTER (90grt/1900/25nhp ) and berthed safely.
7.11.1935: Sold to George Craig, Aberdeen. George Craig designated managing owner.
14.1.1937: Sold to River Ness Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen George Craig designated manager.
4.1.1939: Sold to Andrew Robertson Jnr & James Reid, Aberdeen. A. Robertson designated managing owner
1939: Sold to A. Robertson Jnr, Aberdeen. A. Robertson designated managing manager.
1940: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
2.8.1941: Sold to Transvaal Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. J. N. Ward & Son designated managers).
19.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 249 kits – hake-175, flats-12, ling/coley-51, roker-7, gurnard-1, dogs-3.
5.4.1944: Sold to Brebner Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen. William Brebner designated manager.
1956: Sold to BISCO for breaking up.
1956: Sailed Bo’ness for breaking.
5.10.1956: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Changelog
07/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
10/03/2020: Information updated.

S.T. J. Baels Mauricx FD362

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Colin Reed

Technical

Official Number: 139280
Yard Number: 230
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 211
Net Tonnage: 82
Length: 118.9 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan, Coatbridge

History

4.4.1906: Launched by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan (Yd.No.330) for Soc. Anon Pecheries d’Islande, Ostend as J. BAELS-MAURICX.
4.1906: Completed. Registered at Ostend (O115). J. Baels designated manager.
15.9.1914-31.10.1915: Landing at Milford (Belgian crew).
11.1915: Sold to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
11.1915: Ostend registry closed.
24.11.1915: Registered at Hull (H406). George T. Armitage designated manager. Fishing from Fleetwood.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Hotchkiss 6pdr gun (No.1557); complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
2.1918: At Fleetwood landed a catch of 800 stone from Iceland which grossed a record £7,000.
25.07.1918: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. George Cooke), senior ship, in company with MANNOFIELD (A526) (Sk. B. Hume, Blackpool) and NETTLE (GW11).
7.8.1918: Around noon, from a position off Vestmannaeyjar, streamed log and in company set course for home.
9.8.1918: At about 2.30pm. when some 63 miles NW of St. Kilda, sighted a submarine on the surface, which closed and when about 4,500yds away opened fire the shells falling ahead, either side and astern. Sk. George Cook ordered the NETTLE to keep clear and brought both trawlers round so that the guns could bear. Laying broadside the submarine brought all three of her guns to bear on the trawlers and again opened fire which was returned. Control of the trawlers’ guns was exercised from the bridge roof by the skippers and from men placed in the rigging of the main mast. After about an hour a shell pierced the bulwarks, the deck, boiler casing and the lifeboats of the J. BAELS-MAURICX and shrapnel wounding J. T. Boyaton, Ch Eng. in the head. About two hours into the battle, a shell exploded above the MANNOFIELD and shrapnel hit Sk. Hume on the head, although badly wounded and bleeding, he bandaged the wound and carried on. A few minutes later a shell burst about a foot above the taffrail and shrapnel fell all around the gun severely wounding the MANNOFIELD second gunner. A little while later a shell struck the J. BAELS-MAURICX on the port side, shrapnel went through the wheelhouse, breaking the windows, damaging the funnel and wounding gunner in the leg. About half an hour before the submarine’s final approach a shell pierced the shell plating of the MANNOFIELD close to the rudder and the ship started to take in water. Arrangements were made to transfer the crew to the J. BAELS-MAURICX but examination showed that although the cabin was flooded the vessel had stabilised. On the submarine’s third approach two rounds were fired by each trawler which were considered hits, resulting in the submarine breaking off the engagement. In total 36 rounds fired after the 31/2 hour engagement. Despite the damage to the MANNOFIELD, it was decided to proceed at best speed to Castlebay, Barra to seek medical attention and assess the situation.
10.8.1918: At Castlebay, the doctor tended the wounded and after discussion with the other skippers and bearing in mind the damaged trawler had already steamed 130 miles in a fresh breeze, decided to sail for Fleetwood, a distance of about 250 miles, keeping inside the islands; sailed for Fleetwood at 9.30pm.
12.8.1918: At 9.00am. passed Lune Buoy and came to anchor, proceeded to Wyre Dock on the afternoon tide and reported incident to Lieut. James A. Robertson OBE RNVR, Port Fishery Commander *.
5.9.1918: At the Wyre Dock Cafe a a luncheon was held presided over by Lieut. Robertson in his role as president of the Fleetwood Fishing Vessel Owners’ Association. This was followed by an address and presentation by Cdr Abbott RN of a gold watch and gold albert to each skipper and silver watches, all suitably inscribed, to all crew members of the three trawlers.
1919: Released.
11.1919: Sold to The Melville Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
16.12.1919: Hull registry closed.
19.12.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD362). Herbert M. Johns designated manager.
26.11.1923: Sold to The Transvaal Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Magnus B. J. Wedum designated manager.
1.8.1928: Sold to John H. Lister & Harry L. Lister, Hartlepool.
12.8.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1928: Renamed ELEAZAR (HL31). Harry L. Lister designated managing owner.
1936: Sold for breaking up. Hartlepool registry closed.

Note: * Due to the commendation submitted to The Admiralty by Lieut. Robertson and endorsed by the Port Commander, Cdr. C. W. Muir RN, The Admiralty awarded Sk. Cooke and Sk. Hume the DSC and the gunners from both ships the DSM.

Changelog
24/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
03/08/2016: Information added.
13/06/2018: Significant update.