S.T. Kumu FD176


Official Number: 132416
Yard Number: 386
Completed: 1913
Gross Tonnage: 315
Net Tonnage: 129
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 23.6 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Built: J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen


9.4.1913: Launched by J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.386) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as KUMU.
5.1913: Completed.
21.5.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD176). Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Taylor designated managers.
30.7.1914: Outward for fishing grounds in collision off Knott Spit buoy with L&YR steamer DUKE of ARGYLL (1635grt/1892) inwards from Belfast, coming up channel stern first. Damage to both vessels and returned to dock for repair to stem and shell plating. DUKE of ARGYLL to Birkenhead for repair.
5.9.1914: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.128). At Devonport fitted with 1-6pdr. W/T (call sign XLG) and mine-sweep. Fitted as Leader.
30.3.1915: Allocated as Leader to Unit 122 Section C – ‘Trawler Sweepers’ (Lieut. F. V. Varley RNR).
1.1916: Remains as Leader with Unit No.122 ‘Trawler Sweepers’ based Devonport (Sub Lieut. W. B. A. Angus RNR)
5.11.1916: Rendered assistance to Brixham Lifeboat.
10.1916: Remains as Leader with Unit No.122 ‘Trawler Sweepers’ based Devonport (Lieut. H. K. Hole RNR).
19.5.1917: At about 1755 when some 5 miles EbyN of Hope’s Nose, Tor Bay in position 50.30N 3.22W, disabled by mine explosion with the loss of two hands*. ( Mine laid by UC17 on 11.5.1917). Beached at Babbacombe, subsequently refloated and repaired.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
18/19.2.1929: Stranded in North Bay, St. Kilda, sank in about 20fms, 42 hours after striking the rocks. Twelve crew taken off by HARRY MELLING (FD397) who had tried to tow her clear and over £200 of fishing gear removed but catch lost.
5.3.1929: Fleetwood registry closed.

*Killed – John W. Howard, Trimmer and Alexander Urquhart, Deckhand

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Kumu FD176

S.T. Kumu FD176, foreground vessel.
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

24/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.
02/01/2016: Picture added.
10/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
26/03/2021: Updated history.