Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow, Milford Trawlers and Granton Trawlers
Admiralty Number: 3587
Official Number: 143809
Yard Number: 382
Gross Tonnage: 281
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10.5 knots
2.11.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.382) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as RICHARD BACON (Ad.No.3587).
12.3.1918: Completed as an armed trawler (Commissioned) (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as RICHARD BACON O.N.143809. Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries and engaged in commercial trawling.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.08.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO438). 11.1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed.
1922: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston.
7.7.1922: London registry closed.
7.1922: Registered at Boston as HAGNABY (BN179). Fred Parkes, Wyberton designated manager.
1923: Occasional landings at Fleetwood.
2.1925: Sold to Victor Fourny, Boulogne sur Mer.
2.1925: Remeasured 282Bgrt 54Bnet.
2.1925: London registry closed.
2.1925: Registered at Boulogne as PROFESSEUR BERGONIÉ.
1930: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
3.1930: Boulogne registry closed.
3.1930: Tonnages reverted to 280.82g 108.82n.
4.3.1930: Registered at Fleetwood as DAILY CHRONICLE (FD69). Fred Parkes, Blackpool designated manager.
18.07.1930: Christopher Anderson, Bosun, (20) Fleetwood was washed overboard and drowned. His father William Anderson, was also drowned from a trawler five years ago.
5/6/7.1933: Chartered by Italian Government to provide support for a trans Atlantic flight involving 20 to 30 aeroplanes.
12.8.1934: On St. Kilda ground in collision with steam trawler JACINTA (FD235) which sustained damage to starboard side. No damage.
11.1934: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Sons, Granton.
5.11.1934: Fleetwood registry closed.
28.11.1934: Registered at Granton as COMMODATOR (GN6) (BoT Minute M/R.G. No.1449/1934 dated 26.11.1934). Thomas L. Devlin Jnr designated manager.
3.12.1936: Homeward from fishing grounds, struck by heavy seas and with slack bunkers took on a dangerous list to port carrying away all moveable deck fittings, some fishing gear and railings. Cut away remainder of fishing gear and crew went below to trim bunkers. On completion set course for Aberdeen to land and effect repairs.
24.07.1939: Arrived at Wick Caithness to land John Fegan, fireman, of Lochend Road, Edinburgh, who sustained injuries to his back while the vessel was at the fishing grounds the previous night. Fegan was taken by ambulance to Pignold Hospital Wick.
29.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.634) (Hire rate £84.6.0d/month).
01.01.1940: Skipper William Limb, R.N.R awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC).
1942: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Sons Ltd, Granton. Thomas L. Devlin Jnr designated manager.
1943: Sold to Mrs E. D. Breen, Edinburgh.
6.1945: Sold to Grimsby Merchants Amalgamated Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
6.1945: Granton registry closed.
18.6.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY57). Harvey Wilfred Wilson designated manager.
4.10.1945: Re-classed at Glasgow and returned to owner.
15.2.1946: Sold to Richard Gordon Parsley (64/64), Milford Haven.
21.2.1946: Richard Gordon Parsley designated managing owner.
28.2.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
24.4.1946: Put in to Berehaven, Co. Cork after 140 tons of bunker coal shifted in 85mph gale force conditions some 70 miles off the SW coast of Ireland and put her on her beam ends. Crew spent five and a half hours trimming bunkers to restore her to an even keel.
26.7.1948: Registered at Grimsby as LYNANDI (GY57) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1224/1948 dated 31.5.1948).
14.1.1954: Fishing off Old Head of Kinsale (Sk. W. G. King) experienced boiler problems, blew down and lost power. INVERFORTH (GN52) (Sk. Ambrose Setterfield) connected and commenced tow to Milford.
16.1.1954: In the early hours in very heavy weather tow parted and vessel in danger of drifting on to St. Ann’s Head. At 12.15 a.m. Angle lifeboat (Cox Alfred Watkins) launched and shortly afterwards tug EMPIRE ROSA (292grt/1946) left Pembroke Dock to assist. Both were unable to reach the trawler with wave heights of 40ft and returned to Milford. Also standing by with the INVERFORTH was the trawler THOMAS BOOTH (M274) (Sk. E. Robins) and as the weather moderated the Angle lifeboat and the EMPIRE ROSA returned to the scene, the latter connecting at 11.00 a.m. and despite parting the line on one occasion, the vessel with INVERFORTH and Angle lifeboat in company was delivered to Milford, anchoring at 4.15 p.m.
1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
29.7.1954: Delivered Castle Pill for breaking up.
19.10.1954: Grimsby registry closed “except so far as relates to mortgage (A)”. “Vessel broken up”.
8.11.1954: “Registry finally closed on discharge of mortgage (A)”. Receipt produced dated 30.7.1954.
(Richard Bacon, AB (volunteer), age 47, b. Salisbury, Wiltshire – VICTORY (SB645))
Click to enlarge image
25/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
13/01/2017: Information updated.
24/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.