Additional information courtesy of David Whiteside
Official Number: 114912
Yard Number: 754
Gross Tonnage: 207
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: 62hp T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
22.9.1904: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.754) for Henry Melling, Preston as the LIZZIE MELLING.
3.11.1904: Registered at Preston (PN45). Henry Melling, Preston designated managing owner. Fishing out of Liverpool.
19.4.1905: At Preston landed 10 tons of fish from a Home Waters trip.
20.4.1905: Sailed, no destination recorded but presumably for coal and ice before proceeding to fishing grounds.
1906: Transferred to fish out of Fleetwood.
1907: Sold to The Melling Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Henry Melling, Preston designated manager.
6.1915: At Aberdeen, requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper.
12.12.1915: Arrived Milford and commissioned (1-6pdr)(Ad.No.2511). Based Stromness.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1919: Sold to Thomas F. Kelsall, Fleetwood. Thomas F. Kelsall designated managing owner.
1920: Sold to Melling Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Henry Melling, Preston designated manager.
1931: Sold to W. & J. Melling, Preston. William Melling designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Mellings Ltd, Fleetwood. William Melling, Penwortham designated manager.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 187 kits – hake-18, cod/codling-15, haddock-4, flats-20, ling/coley-69, roker-9, gurnard-27, dogs-25.
27.9.1949: One of five trawlers that went aground in the Wyre Channel in thick fog when outward for the fishing grounds. Refloated next tide and proceeded.
27.7.1953: Landed Fleetwood. Temporary laid up.
Pre-1956: Harvey Sucksmith, Cleveleys designated manager.
6.1957: Sold to Hammond Lane Metal Co Ltd, Dublin for breaking up.
14.6.1957: Delivered Dublin.
1957: Preston registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
The nobby ORIENT FD206, LIZZIE MELLING PN45 outboard of WRENTHORPE FD80 with MARTON FD38 ahead.
19/01/2009: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
28/06/2014: Picture 4 added.
20/04/2015: Updated information.
29/01/2017: Removed disputed image.
22/02/2017: Changed image.
13/04/2019: Added an image.
26/12/2020: Updated history & added an image.