Official Number: 139956
Yard Number: 677
Gross Tonnage: 316
Net Tonnage: 127
Length: 135.3 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
27.11.1916: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.677) for The Atlas Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as VAMBERY.
25.7.1917: Completed (George S. Letten, manager).
30.7.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1082).
7.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper and later employed as an escort (1-6pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1280). Based Milford Haven.
1920: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
8.1936: Sold to Earl Steam Fishing Co, Grimsby (Sir Alec Black, Bart, manager).
4.1937: Registered at Grimsby as SARONTA (GY1082).
18.11.1939: In convoy for the Icelandic grounds, Sarpedon (GY984) as Convoy Officer’s ship (Convoy Officer Lieut Reginald H. W. Jackson RNVR) in company with ANDANES (GY923), CONISBORO (GY244), WIGMORE (GY469)(Sk. Walter Bore) and MURMANSK (GY26). At about 11.15pm when 25 miles N by W of Rattray Head in appoximate position 58°01.2N/01°57.5W attacked by U-boat (U.22) and WIGMORE sunk by torpedo. Launched boat at great danger to self to search for survivors but to no avail; all sixteen crew lost.
8.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Hire rate £92.3.4d/month).
12.1940: Sold to Sir Alec Black, Bart, Grimsby.
1.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1849). Based Lowestoft with M/S & Patrol Group 9.
22.4.1942: Sold to Active Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £8500.
7.1945: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd, London (William A. Bennett, manager) for £14000.
11.1945: Surveyed and restored at Glasgow.
12.1945: Returned to owner.
4.2.1947: Sold to Lord Line Ltd, Hull for £8950.
4.2.1947: Registered at Hull (H390).
17.5.1950: Sold to Associated Fisheries Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (T.W. Boyd, manager)
1952: Laid up.
6.10.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Clayton & Davie Ltd, Dunston on Tyne for breaking up.
18.10.1952: Arrived Tyne.
1953: Hull registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
04/01/2008: Page published.3 updates since then.
28/04/2014: Information updated.
13/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.