Additional information courtesy of Bary Johnson Milford Trawlers
Admiralty Number: 3506
Official Number: 143858
Yard Number: 667
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.5 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
17.10.1916: Laid down. Requisitioned by The Admiralty on the stocks; no instalment monies paid.
08.2.1917: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.667) and requisitioned by The Admiralty (non-standard “Castle” class) as JAMES JOHNSON.
12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as THOMAS DEAS O.N.143858. Engaged in commercial trawling.
3.2.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO294).
Between 18.5.1920 – 18.6.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
1920: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society, London.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
29.11.1920: Landed at Milford and laid up.
1.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed.
9.1922: At HM Dockyard Pembroke, fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
10.1922: Sold to Henry James Shooter, Exeter; Sk. Henry William Salter, Milford Haven & Sk. Thomas Salter, Hakin.
9.10.1922: London registry closed.
10.10.1922: Registered at Milford (M253).
22.10.1923: Shares re-allocated to James Henry Shooter, Exeter & Sk. Thomas Salter, Hakin.
23.12.1926: Sold to Mrs Elizabeth Ann Heck Pettit, Milford Haven (David Pettit, manager).
27.1.1931: Outward from Milford for the fishing grounds on the afternoon tide in darkness, misty light rain, stranded in Gellyswick Bay. Refloated under own power with no damage.
1932: David Pettit (66) died.
1933: Transferred Mrs Elizabeth Ann Heck Owens, Hakin (managing owner).
28.7.1933: Arrived Limerick, Co. Limerick with broken steam pipe having been aground in river.
11.11.1936: Sailed Milford for West of Ireland grounds at 4.15 p.m. (Sk. Robert W. C. Kettle). Anchored off to await crew member. Picked up and proceeded down Haven,
At 7.15 p.m. in collision with steam tanker SAN DARIO (1136grt/1936) alleged to be at anchor unlit. Stood by and checked damage before returning to Milford.
23.3.1937: Sailed Milford for West coast of Ireland grounds (Sk. Robert W. C. Kettle).
31.3.1937: Spoke THOMAS LEEDS (M70) stopped with condenser door blown off. THOMAS LEEDS effected repair but requested tow to Milford.
3.4.1937: Delivered THOMAS LEEDS to Milford.
24.9.1939: Last landing at Milford.
30.9.1939: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Cleveleys, manager) for £5750.
3.1940?: Homeward in a full gale ran ashore near Port Askaig, Islay. Refloated with the assistance of the Port Askaig (Islay) lifeboat (14 crew £2000 of fish).
16.2.1941: Lost after explosion approximately 4 miles off Spurn Point, believed to have been mined; crew of thirteen lost.
20.3.1941: Milford registry closed “Vessel sunk by enemy action”.
(Lost – Sk. W. Scott, G. R. Bush, G. R. Hodson, T. G. Hudson, T. Madden, R. Neill, W. G. Phillips, C. H. Powdrill, H. Powdrill, T. P. Power, J. H. Raywell, W. Semper, R. Wilson)
(John (aka James) Johnson, OS (volunteer), age 24, b. Newport, Rhode Island, America – VICTORY (SB110)
Click to enlarge image
17/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
19/02/2015: Information added.
03/11/2016: Information updated.