S.D/T. Tritonia LT188 (Seasonal)
Copyright 2010 Barry Banham for FMHT.
Official Number: 149246
Yard Number: 583
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 51
Length: 92.0 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 9.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Burrell & Co, Gt Yarmouth (installed at Yarmouth)
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
1930: Completed by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.583) for The Herring Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Ritson J. Tripp, manager) as TRITONIA.
11.10.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT188).
21.4.1936: Sold at auction to Sidney J. Tripp, Lowestoft for £4600.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.973) (Hire rate £64.16.7d/month).
12.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1.12.1945: Sold to Vigilant Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (David F. Cartwright MBE MC, manager).
1.1946: Returned to owner.
1949: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood.
18.10.1949: At Lowestoft landed 110 crans of herring.
6.10.1953: Sold to Mitchell Tritonia Ltd, Lowestoft.
20.10.1953: At Lowestoft landed 2471/4 crans of herring which had taken 141/2 hours to haul.
1957-20.3.1957: Converted by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft. Re-engined with 4 stroke 3-cyl 335bhp oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
20.3.1957: Ran trials after conversion to motor.
26.11.1975: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Luton (John Leggett, Lowestoft, manager). Berthed at North Quay, Lowestoft and stripped of all useable parts.
1976: Sold to T. G. Darling, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for breaking up.
12.7.1976: Lowestoft registry closed.
Click to enlarge image