S.D/T. Ascona LT108 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham and Barry Johnson


Official Number: 149226
Yard Number: 578
Completed: 1929
Gross Tonnage: 138
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 98.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 10.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees (foreside firing)
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft


1929: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.578) for Nelson George Utting (32/64) & William George Utting (32/64), Lowestoft as ASCONA.
12.2.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as (LT108).
3.1930: Completed.
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow and Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
17.3.1934: At Padstow damaged in collision with OCEAN SUNLIGHT (YH29).
24.4.1938: In fog in Morecambe Bay suffered damage in collision with KATHLEEN (LT673).
30.8.1938: At Bangor Magistrates Court, Sk. Noah Ayres fined £50 for trawling within the three mile limit in Caernarvon Bay (First summons under the Sea Fishery Act of June 1938).
20.9.1938: Suffered damage to propeller off Fleetwood.
13.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY949) (Hire rate £77.15.11d/month).
1.6.1940: Based at Harwich.
4.1945: Transferred to miscellaneous Naval duties.
1.1.1946: Sold to Vigilant Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (David F. Cartwright, MBE MC, manager).
4.1946: Returned to owner.
26.4.1948: Damaged gallows when trawl came fast.
25.10.1948: At Lowestoft landed 216 crans of herring.
29.3.1949: Damaged gallows when trawl came fast.
12.11.1952: At Lowestoft landed 217 crans.
16.4.1953: Sold to Norrard Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Frederick William Ingram, manager).
16.6.1953: Returned to Milford (Sk. Jack Chenery) with mast fractured when lifting haul of jellyfish. Landed 59kits grossed £311 (3 days).
25.10.1957: Sailed Milford for Lowestoft to be converted to diesel propulsion.
14.2.1958: Completed trials after conversion by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft fitted with 402bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport (engine made 1947).
1958: Re measured 146g 60n.
7.3.1958: Returned to Milford.
19.5.1965: Fishing off the Smalls (Sk. Charles Manthorpe), deckhand Billy Owen injured in face when slip hook flew off gallows. Returned to Milford.
11.1968: Sustained damage to stem and bow plating in a collision at Milford dockhead.
12.12.1968: Arrived Gloucester for dry docking and repair.
6.1.1970: Laid up at Milford.
5.1970: Sold to Hughes Bolckow Ltd, Blyth for breaking up.
3.6.1970: Sailed Milford (Sk. Jack Utting) for Blyth in company with LORD COLLINGWOOD (M42) (Sk. Walter Robson) also sold for breaking.
8.6.1970: Delivered Blyth.
26.6.1972: Lowestoft registry closed. (16.7.1974: Mortgage to W.F.A. discharged).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ascona LT108

S.T. Ascona LT108
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst Collection

S.T. Ascona LT108

S.T. Ascona LT108
Picture courtesy of The Bob Kettle Collection

05/11/2010: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
18/08/2014: Picture added.
03/06/2016: Minor information update.
20/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
18/07/2019: Updated information.