Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers
Official Number: 149219
Yard Number: 577
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 48
Length: 92.0 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 8.0 ft
T.3-cyl by Wm. Burrell & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Built: John Chambers & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
1929: Launched by John Chambers & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.577) for Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Co Ltd, Lowestoft as LORD SUFFOLK.
6.1929: Completed (Harold B. Jackson, manager).
21.6.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT44).
6.12.1929: In North Sea, with steam drifter BOY ALAN (LT331), stood by disabled Spanish steamer until tugs arrived from Hull.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Padstow, Milford and Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
9.8.1938: Off Milford Haven disabled, steam drifter LORD St. VINCENT (LT79) connected and delivered Milford.
18.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.1600) (Hire rate £61.13.4d/month). Renamed BANSHEE.
21.9.1943: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (B. A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager) when Basil Parkes bought most of Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Ltd better vessels.
25.1.1946: Returned to owner (Maj. A. W. Suddaby MBE, Gorleston, manager). Reverted to LORD SUFFOLK (LT44).
1946: Sold to J. C. Llewellin (Trawlers) Ltd, Milford Haven.
1947: Sold to Norrard Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Frederick W. Ingram, manager).
1959: Converted and fitted with 4 stroke 5-cyl 335bhp oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport.
1959: Re measured 120g .
21.4.1966: Off Tuscar Rock (S. Arthur James) took onboard three crew of leaking 50ft yacht, REINDEER on delivery voyage, South Coast – Glasgow. Connected and commenced tow for Rosslare, Co. Wexford but yacht foundered. Survivors landed at Rosslare.
1969: Laid up at Milford.
1970: Sold to Kilvey Trawling Co Ltd, Swansea. Fishing out of Milford.
30.3.1971: Fishing 25 miles off Wicklow Head (Sk. K. Jenkins), disabled with wire round propeller. Towed into Wicklow harbour, Co. Wicklow.
16.3.1972: Inward in Milford Haven in the early hours with very thick fog (Sk. Jack Clarke) ran into partially built Amoco jetty and became jammed on rising tide. Conservancy Board alerted and vessel freed by Wimpey tug SKOMER. Berthed at Milford with extensive damage to fore end, deck, guardrails, main and mizzen masts.
1976: Sold for breaking up.
Click to enlarge image
25/10/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
31/01/2017: Image added.
06/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.