Additional information courtesy of Barry Johnson
Official Number: 149244
Yard Number: 293
Gross Tonnage: 116
Net Tonnage: 51
Length: 92.3 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 9.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Wm. Burrell & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co (1927) Ltd, Goole
28.6.1930: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co (1927) Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.293) for Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Co Ltd, Lowestoft as LORD COLLINGWOOD.
9.1930: Completed (Harold B. Jackson, manager).
13.9.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT183).
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow, Milford and Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
4.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on contraband control (Hire rate £65.7.10d/month).
30.5.1940: Sailed Yarmouth with twelve other drifters for Ramsgate.
31.5.1940: Sailed Ramsgate for Dunkirk (Operation Dynamo). Evacuated Allied troops and landed at Ramsgate.
9.1940: Employed on DEMS training.
10.1940: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
21.9.1943: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager) when Basil Parkes bought most of Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Ltd better vessels.
2.1944: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
12.1944: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
2.1945: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
13.2.1946: Returned to owner (Maj. A. W. Suddaby MBE, Gorleston, manager).
1946: Sold to Poland under U.N.R.& R. Scheme Scheme (“Dalmor” Przedsiebiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia). Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at Gdynia as APOLONIUSZ (GDY109). Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth with local skippers.
1.6.1949: Sold to Arthur W. Eastoe, Ronald C. Cook & Richard H. Golby, Lowestoft and John Odde, East Molesey. Gdynia registry closed.
1949: Registered at Lowestoft as LORD COLLINGWOOD (LT34).
8.1949: Sold to Westenborg Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Herman Westenborg, manager). Lowestoft registry closed.
27.7.1949: Registered at Milford (M42).
21.12.1954: Sold to St. Anne’s Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Herman Westenborg, manager).
11.3.1958: Completed trials after conversion by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft fitted with 318bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport.
26.7.1962: Put into Fishguard due to ingress of water in engineroom. Local Fire Brigade attended. At 9.30 am. sailed for Milford with fireman and pump onboard.
9.11.1964: Fishing off Tuskar Rock Lighthouse (Sk. Ted Bowles), when hauling discovered mine in trawl. Dropped mine back in sea but wire parted and caught deckhand Harry Spriggs dragging him overboard. Managed to free himself and hauled back onboard. Spriggs landed at Rosslare, Co. Wexford for hospital treatment, but no serious injury.
20.10.1966: Suffered slight fire damage while alongside at Milford.
17.7.1969: Sold to Norrard Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Frederick John Ingram, manager).
5.1970: Sold to Hughes Bolckow Ltd, Blyth for breaking up.
3.6.1970: Sailed Milford (Sk. Walter Robson) for Blyth in company with ASCONA (LT108) (Sk. Jack Utting) also sold for breaking.
8.6.1970: Delivered Blyth.
26.1.1972: Milford registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
21/01/2011: Page published. 3 updates since then.