Category Archives: Drifter/Trawler

S.D/T. Seasons’ Gift LT127 (Seasonal)

Wartime and seasonal post war visitor
Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139821
Yard Number: 544
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by James Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.544) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as SANDSTORM (Ad.No.3907).
31.5.1918: Completed (1-6pdr).
12.7.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
14.11.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as GLENBRECK (A381).
9.3.1921: Sold to Thomas Gilmour, Aberdeen (John H. Harrow, manager) under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen).
11.1922: Mortgage foreclosed. Repossessed by His Majesty, represented by the Commissioners representing the office of Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland, London.
3.9.1923: Aberdeen registry closed.
16.10.1923: Sold to Thomas Thorburn Irvin, Aberdeen (managing owner).
16.10.1923: Aberdeen registry re-opened (A381).
2.1924: Sold to John Dougal & David Dougal, Eyemouth (David Dougal managing owner)
26.2.1924: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1924: Registered at Berwick as RIVER EYE (BK3).
1926: Registered at Berwick as OLDEN TIMES (BK3).
12.1929: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
20.12.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT127).
31.1.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as SEASONS’ GIFT (LT127).
14.2.1930: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole (32/64) & Ernest George Catchpole (32/64), Lowestoft (Stanley Edward Catchpole, manager).
4.2.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
7.7.1931: Sold to Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane (32/64), Lowestoft & Isaac Alexander Kemp (32/64), Kessingland (Frederick Ernest Beane, manager).
27.2.1939: Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane, Lowestoft.
26.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service on balloon barrage (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
27.4.1940: Returned to owner.
1940-1945: Trawling out of Fleetwood.
24.2.1941: In Wyre channel in collision with Icelandic wooden motor fishing vessel HELGI (115grt/1939).
3.1.1942: Frederick Ernest Beane died.
7.4.1943: Transferred to Mrs Margaret Beane, Lowestoft.
19.5.1943: Typical wartime landing. 97 kits – cod/codling-19, plaice-15, roker-57, gurnard-1, sole & prime-5.
1946-1950: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
1954: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
17.5.1954: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.
12.8.1954: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog

21/02/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.
01/08/2021: Updated history

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 161639
Yard Number: 251
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 138
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 95.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 9.8 ft
Built: King’s Lynn Slipway Co Ltd, King’s Lynn
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co (R.H. Hutchinson), Gt Yarmouth (Engine No.618)
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees

History

1930: Launched by King’s Lynn Slipway Co Ltd, King’s Lynn (Yd.No.251) for Henry James Eastick, Gorleston as LYDIA EVA. Towed to Gt. Yarmouth for machinery fit.
22.7.1930: Engine trials.
23.7.1930: Registered at Yarmouth (YH89).
26.7.1930: Mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, City of London (A).
8.1930: Completed (Built at King’s Lynn by Tyneside labour due to industrial action at Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents). (Fished more successfully as a trawler as herring drift nets damaged by bluff bow. Also used as a herring carrier).
11.10.1937: At Yarmouth landed 221 crans of herring.
12.1938: Last landing at Yarmouth.
21.10.1939: Sold by mortgagee under mortgage (A) to South Caernarvonshire Yacht Co Ltd, Pwllhelli for £800. Converted and re-classified as a salvage vessel for Air Ministry contract associated with Pwllheli and other West coast Bombing & Gunnery Ranges.
18.1.1940: Mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, City of London (B).
1940: South Caernarvonshire Yacht Co Ltd t/a Western Marine Craft Ltd, Pwllheli.
10.12.1942: Requisitioned for war service with Ministry of Aircraft Production (Hire rate £50.0.0d/month).
27.5.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T (Ministry of Aircraft Production). Further converted at Abersoch for cargo with strengthened main mast and derrick. John Deheer Ltd, Grimsby (Pwllheli) designated managers.
4.9.1943: Yarmouth registry closed except as far as relates to mortgage (B). “Registry no longer required”.
7.1943: Registered at London.
1943-1945: Based Abersoch, Pwllheli and Ilfracombe.
1945: Transferred to Maryport, attendant to Mawbray Bombing Range.
1947: Transferred to Weymouth.
1.4.1947: Sold to Air Ministry, London. Registered at London as WATCHMOOR.
1948-1952: Based Milford, Watchet, Appledore, London, Cardiff and Pembroke Dock.
1952: Transferred to Whitehaven.
21.12.1965: Proposed to transfer all MOD (Air) vessels to MOD (Navy).
1.4.1966: Transferred to Director of Marine Services (DMS), Bath. British registry closed. Based Pembroke Dock, crew on D606 articles.
27. 6.1966: In Cardigan Bay experienced engine problems. EMPIRE NETTA (290grt/1945) connected and delivered Holyhead.
1966: Rebuilt on Tyneside with new wheelhouse and new boiler by Stockton Chemical Engineers & Riley Boilers Ltd, Stockton on Tees (Boiler made 1961).
1967-1968: Various duties as required by DMS.
1968: Declared surplus to requirements. De-equipped and laid up at Pembroke Dock.
1969: Sold to Turner & Hickman Ltd, Glasgow.
1972: Sold to The Maritime Trust. Docked and overhauled in Penzance by Holman & Sons Ltd.
1.10.1972: Arrived Gt. Yarmouth.
1972: Registered at Yarmouth as LYDIA EVA.
1973: Rebuilt by George Overy Ltd, Lowestoft.
1973-1978: Following partial restoration at Lowestoft, static display at Gt. Yarmouth.
1978-1986: Static display at St. Kathrines Dock, London.
1986-1990: Exhibition closed. Laid up in West India Dock.
1989: Lydia Eva Charitable Trust formed.
1990: Sold to Trust for £1.00.
30.6.1990: Arrived Gt. Yarmouth in tow of HECTOR READ (65grt/1966).
2000: Slipped at Lowestoft but on survey found to need extensive shell plate renewals. Laid up in Lake Lothing.
12.2006: Application for Heritage Lottery Funding successful (£839,000).
1.3.2007-18.3.2008: Slipped by Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft for survey and 60% shell plating and some frame renewals, deck relaid, electrical installation update, start of machinery overhaul.
9.2008: Towed to Gt. Yarmouth for Great Yarmouth Maritime Festival.
10.2008: Returned to Lowestoft.
10.2008-20.5.2009: At Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft to complete boilerwork, museum and after cabin fit out.
3.2009: In steam, successful boiler trial.
20.5.2009: Returned to Gt. Yarmouth.
12.2009: Arrived Lowestoft from Gt. Yarmouth under tow.
12.2009-2010: Continued refurbishment by Small & Co (Marine & Engineering) Ltd, Lowestoft.
3.2010: Successful steaming trials in Lake Lothing.
15.5.2010: Steamed to Gt. Yarmouth. Open to visitors.
14.12.2010: Steamed to Lowestoft for further work by Small & Co Ltd. Laid over adjacent to Laundry Lane slip.
2018: Still in steam.

Click to see Lydia Eva under steam
Video courtesy of CanaryCity (YouTube)

Click to enlarge images
© Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of James Holt

Watchmoor

Watchmoor
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89

S.D/T. Lydia Eva YH89
Picture courtesy of The Maureen Tatlow Collection

Changelog
13/02/2011: Page published. 5 updates since then.
17/12/2015: Picture added.
09/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
15/05/2021: Updated history.

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4127
Official Number: 146044
Yard Number: 568
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History
1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.568) ) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WATERSHED (Ad.No.4127).
18.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.10.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for disposal.
23.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft on Part IV Register (LT628).
27.7.1921: Lowestoft registry closed By Order of Chief Registrar of Shipping. “To be registered under Part I in London”.
30.7.1921: Registered by The Admiralty at London (PartI) as WATERSHED (No.401 of 1921) O.N.146044.
9.1921: Sold to Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby
9.1921: London registry closed.
12.9.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1302). H. Croft Baker designated manager.
26.6.1922: Registered at Grimsby as SALVIAN (GY1302).
4.1923: Sold to Havre Pêcheries Co, Havre.
7.5.1923: Grimsby registry closed.
5.1923: Registered at Le Havre as SANVIE.
1924: Sold to James Ritchie, Gardenstown & others. Le Havre registry closed. Registered at Banff as CONVALLARIA (BF51).
27.11.1930: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
11.1930: Banff registry closed.
27.11.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT247). George H. Catchpole designated managing owner.
9.7.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agent).
30.3.1937: Re-possessed by mortgagee Peacock & Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft. Frederick Beane manager.
12.8.1938: Sold to James Ritchie, Fraserburgh.
22.8.1938: Lowestoft registry closed.
3.9.1938: Registered at Banff (BF497).
1939: Sold to Mrs Jane A. Ritchie, Fraserburgh & others.
10.4.1940: requisitioned for war service on harbour defence patrol (Hire rate £17.17.10d/month).
10.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Sold to Albert Sutton & A. R. Sutton, Scarborough.
26.3.1946: Returned to owners. Fishing from Lowestoft.
1954: Sold for breaking up. Banff registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog

28/01/2011: Page published. 6 updates since then.
08/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
31/08/2021: Updated history.

S.D/T. Fellowship LT65 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 135090
Yard Number: 154
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 99
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 87.80 ft
Breadth: 18.7 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: Livingstone & Cooper Ltd, Hessle
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees

History

1914: Launched by Livingstone & Cooper Ltd, Hessle (Yd.No.154) for John Thomas Cullen Salmon, Gt. Yarmouth as THE MAJESTY.
22.9.1914: Registered at Yarmouth (YH25).
10.1914: Completed for The Crown Steam Drifters Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth (George Herbert Hansell, manager).
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1033). Based Larne.
1919: Returned to owner.
1920s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
7.6.1924: Sold to Harry Baxter (16/64), Lowestoft; Edward Catchpole (16/64), Kessingland; Charles William Dance (16/64) and John Utting (16/64), Lowestoft (Edward Catchpole, manager).
16.6.1924: Yarmouth registry closed.
17.6.1924: Registered at Lowestoft (LT65).
16.7.1924: Registered at Lowestoft as FELLOWSHIP (LT65).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
6.3.1931: Off Padstow, broke rudder.
6.3.1931: Damaged in collision with OCEAN RAMBLER (YH727) in Padstow Harbour.
21.8.1933: At Fraserburgh with damaged propeller.
21.8.1933: Connected to BOY SCOUT (LT17) disabled and delivered Lerwick.
2.8.1938: At Lerwick with damaged propeller.
1939: R. Catchpole, Lowestoft appointed manager.
16.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service on examination service (Hire rate £27.0.0d/month).
1940: To Mediterranean as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £27.13.6d/month). Based Suda Bay (Ty S/Lieut. S. Barrie RNR).
7.1941: Based Suez Canal area with M/S Group 40 (Ty S/Lieut E. Saul RNVR).
24.10.1941: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
1946: No record.

Changelog
26/01/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.
19/08/2020: Updated history.

S.D/T. Lord Collingwood LT183 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Johnson

Technical

Official Number: 149244
Yard Number: 293
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 116
Net Tonnage: 51
Length: 92.3 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 9.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Wm. Burrell & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co (1927) Ltd, Goole

History

28.6.1930: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co (1927) Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.293) for Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Co Ltd, Lowestoft as Lord COLLINGWOOD.
9.1930: Completed (Harold B. Jackson, manager).
13.9.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT183).
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow, Milford and Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
4.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on contraband control (Hire rate £65.7.10d/month).
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
30.5.1940: Sailed Yarmouth with twelve other drifters for Ramsgate.
28.5.1940: With Senior Officer (Cdr J. S. M. Glendinning RNR retd) in steam tug JAVA (128grt/1905-500ihp) (Capt W. Jones) left Ramsgate for Dunkirk at 3.00pm in company with steam drifters LORD RODNEY (LT390), LORD KEITH (LT181)) and LORD St. VINCENT (LT79). 29.5.1940: Arrived Dunkirk, at 4.30am. ferrying troops to ships (ferried 325 men). 10.00am. alongside Dunkirk Pier embarking troops. 5.00pm. left Dunkirk beaches for Ramsgate.
30.6.1940: At Ramsgate at 5.20am. landed 315 troops.
4.6.1940: ‘Operation Dynamo’ terminated.
9.1940: Employed on DEMS training.
10.1940: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
21.9.1943: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager) when Basil Parkes bought most of Lowestoft Steam Herring Drifters Ltd better vessels.
2.1944: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
12.1944: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
2.1945: Re-deployed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
13.2.1946: Returned to owner (Maj. A. W. Suddaby MBE, Gorleston, manager).
1946: Sold under U.N.R.&R. Scheme and loaned to Poland (“Dalmor” Przedsiebiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia). Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at Gdynia as APOLONIUSZ (GDY109). Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth with local skippers.
1.6.1949: Sold to Arthur W. Eastoe, Ronald C. Cook & Richard H. Golby, Lowestoft and John Odde, East Molesey. Gdynia registry closed.
1949: Registered at Lowestoft as LORD COLLINGWOOD (LT34).
8.1949: Sold to Westenborg Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Herman Westenborg, manager). Lowestoft registry closed.
27.7.1949: Registered at Milford (M42).
21.12.1954: Sold to St. Anne’s Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (Herman Westenborg, manager).
11.3.1958: Completed trials after conversion to motor by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft fitted with 318bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport.
26.7.1962: Put into Fishguard due to ingress of water in engineroom. Local Fire Brigade attended. At 9.30 am. sailed for Milford with fireman and pump onboard.
9.11.1964: Fishing off Tuskar Rock Lighthouse (Sk. Ted Bowles), when hauling discovered mine in trawl. Dropped mine back in sea but wire parted and caught deckhand Harry Spriggs dragging him overboard. Managed to free himself and hauled back onboard. Spriggs landed at Rosslare, Co. Wexford for hospital treatment, but no serious injury.
20.10.1966: Suffered slight fire damage while alongside at Milford.
17.7.1969: Sold to Norrard Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Frederick John Ingram, manager).
5.1970: Sold to Hughes Bolckow Ltd, Blyth for breaking up.
3.6.1970: Sailed Milford (Sk. Walter Robson) for Blyth in company with ASCONA (LT108) (Sk. Jack Utting) also sold for breaking. 8.6.1970: Delivered Blyth.
26.1.1972: Milford registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Lord Collingwood LT183

S.D/T. Lord Collingwood LT183
Picture courtesy of The John Stevenson Collection

Changelog
21/01/2011: Page published. 3 updates since then.
25/04/2021: History updated.