Category Archives: Sailing Trawlers

Sailing Trawlers

sv Orient – FD206

Technical

Completed: 1899
Net Tonnage: 6.63
Length: 30’6″
Breadth: 9′
Depth: 4′ 7″
Built: Arnside

History

1899: Built at Arnside for Richard Woodhouse, Euston Rd, Morecambe.
25.10.1899: Registered at Lancaster (LR122)
24.14.1903: Sold to Jeffrey Wright, 73 Kemp St Fleetwood.
14.07.1903: Registered at Fleetwood (FD206).
08.07.1908: Sold to Thomas Cuthbert Hornby, 57 Blackiston St, Fleetwood. Skippered by Thomas Tomlinson.
17.10.1908: Sold to Alexander Rawcliffe of 126 Victoria St, Fleetwood and skippered by Ernest Railton and Joseph Rawcliffe.
28.12.1918: Fleetwood registration cancelled, boat having been transferred to Barrow.
18.05.1921: Boat sold to ?? ?? Fleetwood and Barrow registration cancelled.
19.06.1921: Registered at Fleetwood (FD388).

Click to enlarge images

iv Orient FD206

iv Orient FD206

Changelog
18/11/2016: Page published.

iv Sea King – FD14

Technical and historical information needed about this vessel. Please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Gross Tonnage: 6.61

History

21.11.1890: Registered at Fleetwood.
7.12.1903 Sold and and owned by J. Wilson Jnr. She changed owners again on 21.7.1916, again on 30.5.1917 and yet again on 21.11.1917. Sold again on 26.6.1919.
19.06.1920: Fleetwood registry closed on transfer to Whitehaven registry.

Click to enlarge images

iv Sea King FD14

iv Sea King FD14

Changelog
01/11/2016: Page published.

sv Martha and Lizzie – FD??

Additional information courtesy of Gary Hicks and Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 70163
Net Tonnage: 35

History

1874: Completed by David Banks Jnr & Co, Queen Anne’s Battery, Plymouth as MARTHA AND LIZZIE. Registered at Fleetwood (No.7/1974). Owned by William Thompson, Blackburn.
4.8.1874: Sailed Fleetwood at 1.00pm. for the fishing grounds off Morecambe Bay (Sk. Robert Rimmer); five crew all told.
5.8.1874: On the ‘oyster beds’ some nine miles NNW of Morecambe Bay Lightship in company with other trawlers including CYGNET (FD110), EZRA (FD1) (Sk. Richard Wright) and MARY ASHCROFT (FD??), with the trawl down in a moderate SW breeze under main and jib running across the tide. At about 6.00pm. when hauling the net saw a ship under full sail on the port tack coming towards them. Hauled the jib sheet to get clear of the vessel and sailed away about two miles before letting go the net again. An hour later trawling on the port tack, saw the same ship again bearing down on them now on the starboard tack. When it became obvious that the ship would not pass clear, paid out about five or six fathoms of trawl rope to head the smack. When close shouted to the ship to bear away or luff up, but saw no one onboard. The MARTHA AND LIZZIE was struck amidships and went down under the ship’s bow. Three men, David Cowell, George Cowell and Edward Rimmer, were able to get hold of the chain cable and scramble onboard the ship assisted by a crew member, leaving two men struggling in the water. David Cowell asked Capt Austen to lower a boat, but Murphy, the channel pilot, said he had seen the two men go down. After wearing ship, payed off on the port tack and when in a position close to where the collision had occurred, saw a boat belonging to the CYGNET searching. After wearing ship again transferred the survivors to the boat. They were initially placed onboard the MARY ASHCROFT but later taken to Fleetwood onboard the CYGNET. Robert Rimmer and fisherman David Cowell were drowned. The ship proved to be the American ship IRONSIDES (1400grt/) (Capt. George Blackstone Ashton), Liverpool for New York with general cargo.
27.8.1875: Body of Robert Rimmer recovered by John Wilson, fisherman, some few miles NW of Morecambe Bay Lightship.
25.12.1874: At Liverpool, Capt Ashton was arrested on a charge of manslaughter and taken to Kirkham to await trial.
19.1.1875: At Blackpool Police Court, Capt Ashton was charged on remand with running down a fishing smack and causing the death of two men. The prosecution alleged that the captain did not do his best to save the men. The case was adjourned for one week.
25.1.1875: At Poulton Petty Sessions Capt Ashton was committed for trial at the next Lancaster Assizes.
11.3.1875: At Lancaster Assizes Capt Ashton found not guilty, by direction of the judge, on the grounds that he was an American subject on board an American registered vessel and not subject to the jurisdiction of the Queen and therefore the case could not be supported.

Changelog
30/10/2016: Page re-published due to site problems.

s.v. Onward – FD99

Technical

Official Number: 68618
Yard Number: 20
Completed: 1873
Gross Tonnage: 58
Net Tonnage: 24
Registered Tonnage: 34.45
Built: John Gibson, Fleetwood
Rig: Ketch

History

18.4.1873: Completed by John Gibson, Fleetwood (Yd.No.20) for Richard Leadbetter & others, Fleetwood as ONWARD.
1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
1.1.1875: Owned by Richard Johnson, Fleetwood.
1884: Owned by Walter D. Cowman, 15 King St, Whitehaven & others. Fleetwood registry closed Registered Whitehaven (6/1884). Walter D. Cowman, managing owner.
Pre1919: Sold to Edward S. Kirkham, Fleetwood.
15.3.1920: Whitehaven registry closed. Broken up.

Click to enlarge image

s.v. Onward FD99

s.v. Onward FD99

Changelog
26/03/2011: Page published.
05/01/2015: Information updated.
27/01/2016: Page transferred from MH site and picture added.
01/12/2018: Information updated.

s.v. Annie FD108

Information courtesy of Dick Massey

If you have any technical or historical information about this vessel, please contact info@fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk

Technical

Built: Crossfield’s Arnside
Engine: Engine: 22hp Lister Blackstone JP2

History

Notes: From Dick Massey
ANNIE was very different in the hull shape to the regular prawners. Some time after the war she was returned to her builders (Crossfields at Arnside), for a complete rebuild.
The vessels side planking was raised two planks higher, the stern was changed from the traditional low counter stern to a fine cruiser stern, like Scottish seiners.

On deck the layout was the traditional, longish fore deck with the new trawl winch mounted offset to port, forward of the very stout main mast. Most prawners used a capstan instead of a true double drum trawl winch, as now fitted to ANNIE.

The new engine was a Lister Blackstone JP2 of 22 hp. This engine being a real marine engine, had a dry sump.
The sump oil was contained in a separate tank fitted on a shelf on the port side of the engine room. Starting was by hand crank, later an electric start was fitted. The propeller shaft went out on the starboard quarter.

As ANNIE had originally been built for sail, her lights burned oil, later converted to electric. The best mast head lights were reputed to be made from a Rose’s marmalade jar as it had many sides and this gave a better light.

Annie was very modern compared to most of the older vessels being forty feet long, but with a little shelter doghouse just aft of the mast, above the engine. Then a long cockpit to within six feet of the stern.

The trawl was worked on the port side, but when the cod end was lifted aboard with a tackle from the head of the mast, the fish were landed on to the starboard side deck. After the net was shot away again, gutting and the sorting of the fish took place with the crew standing in the cockpit, the gutted fish was sorted in to five stone baskets.

Up until 1978 ANNIE was laid in the dock at Birkenhead in a very neglected state.
To get ANNIE from the Mersey to the Isle of Man, was a problem considering the state she was in, but a fishing vessel the ROS CARBRIE, was employed to carry a cargo of fibre-glass resin to Douglas. So Tank, her skipper, agreed to tow ANNIE for the sum of £100 cash. So my first trip on the vessel was on the end of a rope.
With the ANNIE in Douglas, I was then skipper of the CAIRNGORM, work was commenced to refurbish the old boat again.
The engine was fully overhauled with a new prop shaft and propeller fitted, a new wooden rudder built and fitted and the old large mast was removed and gifted to another old prawner.
Two new masts were fitted, along with an after wheel house. When the work was finished the old boat looked like any other small Scotch fishing vessel.
After the rebuild, she was worked trawling for fish and queenies, scalloping with two four ft. dredges. A hydraulic line hauler was fitted for long lining for dog fish.

In 1980 ANNIE was sold to Mr James Harrington, of Dursey Island, Kilmichael, Bantry , Co Cork.
After the sale I delivered ANNIE back to her old berth at Fleetwood, this was for the new owner to clear customs for the export of the boat, ANNIE was still FD 108.
The old Lister engine pushed ANNIE to her new home, here she laid on a mooring as there was no harbour.
In a bad storm she broke adrift and went ashore, to be smashed up on the rocky shore, when the storm was over all that the owner could find was the long iron keel.

Click to enlarge images

Annie FD108

Annie FD108
Picture at Douglas courtesy of Dick Massey

MFV Annie FD108

MFV Annie FD108
Annie second from left in the Fish Dock
Picture courtesy of Jay Cresswell

Changelog
19/04/2015: Page published.
20/08/2015: Corrected information.
05/09/2015: Added picture.