Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S.D/T. Hazeldale (2) BCK83

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Official Number: 132142
Yard Number: 13
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 87 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9 ft
Built: Mackay Brothers, Alloa
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge

History

1911: Completed by Mackay Brothers, Alloa (Yd.No.13) for William Murray Snr, Buckie (managing owner) as CORN RIG.
30.5.1911: Registered at Buckie (BCK83).
18.1.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter.
7.1915: Employed AS boom drifter. Based Scapa.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Inverness (Wm. Murray, 9 Seaview Road, Buckpool).
1920: Sold to William Murray Snr & John McK. Murray, Buckie (William Murray Snr, managing owner).
8.12.1923: Severely damaged by fire, salved and re-fitted.
1924: Registered owner John McK. Murray, Buckie (managing owner).
25.11.1937: In foggy conditions stranded at 6.18 am. on Caister Shoal, Yarmouth Roads. Refloated at 9.45 am. and proceeded to fishing grounds.
By 1939: Sold to J. Murray, Buckie & others.
16.10.1939: Requisitioned for war service on contraband control (Hire rate £25.10.0d/month).
7.1940: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
10.1945: At Buckie “to return to fishing”.
1949: Sold to Andrew Wilson, Buckie & others.
1950: Converted by Herd & Mackenzie Ltd, Buckie, fitted with 4 stroke 5-cyl 240bhp oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
1950: Re measured 96g 34n.
1950: Registered at Buckie as HAZELDALE (BCK83).
Pre 1952: Managers became Hazael Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (J. Thain).
1967: Laid up.
1967: Sold to W. Donnan, Whitehaven.
13.9.1967: Buckie registry closed.
1.1968: Sold to Messrs C. & J. Davies Ltd, Fleetwood for breaking up.
6.1974: Buckie registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Hazeldale BCK83

S.T. Hazeldale BCK83
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.D/T. Corn-Rig BCK83

S.D/T. Corn-Rig BCK83
Picture © Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Corn Rig BCK83

S.T. Corn Rig BCK83
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Hazeldale BCK83

S.D/T. Hazeldale BCK83
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
22/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
26/03/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
29/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Hayburn Wyke FD99

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3559
Official Number: 144289
Yard Number: 819
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 324
Net Tonnage: 134
Length: 138.5 ft
Breadth: 23.7 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

28.8.1917: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.819)(“Mersey” class) for The Admiralty as ROBERT BARTON. (Ad.No.3559).
10.11.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, W/T).
14.11.1917: Delivered.
19.12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as ROBERT BARTON O.N.144289.
1919: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and engaged in commercial trawling.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
23.12.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO494). Laid up.
10.1921: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford. 10.1922: Sold to West Dock Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (E. W. Robins, manager).
5.10.1922: London registry closed.
18.10.1922: Registered at Hull as HAYBURN WYKE (H717).
1926: Fishing out of Fleetwood.
10.1926: At Londonderry landed 61 year old Richard Swan taken ill on the fishing grounds. Swan subsequently died in hospital.
04.1930: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr Jnr, manager).
2.5.1930: Sailed Hull for Norwegian grounds (Sk. James M. Pegler); Fleetwood crew eleven all told. Found fishing was not too good and set a course for Rockall some 1,000 miles away via the Orkney Islands.
18.5.1930: At Fleetwood, after a 3,000 mile 16 day trip landed from Norwegian, Rockall and Butt of Lewis grounds, 300 boxes. When free running vessel averaged 101/2 knots.
25.4.1930: Hull registry closed.
26.4.1930: Registered at Fleetwood (FD99).
8.6.1930: In Wyre Channel, one of 23 trawlers inbound, when a few hundred yards from lock pit found channel blocked by trawlers NELLIE BRADDOCK (FD175) and ERNA (FD158) aground on Tiger’s Tail. Swept by tide and also took the ground. Refloated on next tide and entered Wyre Dock.
1.8.1931: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
3.1938: On the St. Kilda grounds (Sk. J. W. Greens) along with other Fleetwood trawlers. Dodging in heavy weather with Bosun on watch when a loud bang was heard from aft and vessel did not answer to the helm; engine stopped. Skipper on bridge and crew sent aft discovered chains and rods intact and assumed rudder damaged or parted. Called DINAMAR (FD73) nearby and asked him to standby until weather dropped away. Later with some improvement in weather steamed slowly towards Hirta, St. Kilda, escorted by DINAMAR. Once in the lee of the island it was discovered that the rudder was smashed. After discussion it was decided to rig a jury rudder using a trawl door and still in gale force conditions the boat was launched with four men including the skipper to suspend and secure the door. After 36 hours, with the door over the stern on chains and shackled to the remains of the rudder stock, the trawl warps were connected and a successful trial undertaken heaving and veering the winch. On completion left St. Kilda for the 300 mile trip to Fleetwood with two men on the winch, initially constantly exposed to seas sweeping over the trawl deck.
29.3.1939: Arrived safely in Fleetwood, the feat being described as “superb seamanship”.
10.1939: Sold to Oddsson & Co Ltd, Hull.
14.5.1940: At Hull last landing before requisitioning. West Coast (fished round), – 380kits £505 gross.
23.5.1940: Fleetwood registry closed.
27.5.1940: Registered at Hull (H334).
27.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel.
28.5.1940: Hire rate £94.10.0d/month.
1.1941: Based Ipswich with M/S & Patrol Group 79.
8.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY139). Based Swansea
2.1.1945: At anchor off Ostend (Sk. Lieut Francis Wilson RNR). Torpedoed by German ‘Seehund’ midget submarine and foundered rapidly. Crew of twenty-two* missing presumed killed.
23.3.1945: Hull registry closed. Wreck lies in position 51.15.27N 02.48.44E.

*Crew – Skipper Lieut Francis Wilson RNR;
Ty/Skipper Edward R. Smith RNR;
Harry S. Sharman, Ch Engineman;
David Marriott & Andrew Reekie, enginemen;
John G. Gardner, Leading seaman;
Arthur Brewster,
George W. Carrington,
Robert A. McMillan,
Thomas Murphy,
Harold R. Waite,
Raymond White,
Ronald J. White & John Wright, seamen;
Walter A. Rogers, telegraphist;
James P. Howell, signalman;
Jack Hooper, ordinary signalman;
Benjamin P. Charlton,
Daniel Ferrie & William J. Spears, stokers;
Thomas Sweeney, cook;
Frederick Bass, steward.

(Robert Cutts Barton, Midshipman, age 20, b. Pembroke – VICTORY (SB673))
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Hayburn Wyke FD99

S.T. Hayburn Wyke FD99
Picture courtesy of the JJ collection

S.T. Hayburn Wyke FD99

S.T. Hayburn Wyke FD99
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
22/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
19/05/2016: Picture added.
21/05/2016: Information updated.
06/06/2016: Information updated.
03/09/2016: Information updated.
21/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
26/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Hawk FD176

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 108532
Yard Number: 547
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 243.64
Net Tonnage: 81.68
Length: 133.7 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 10.8 ft
Built: Edwards Bros, Howden-on-Tyne
Engine: 550ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by N.E. Marine Engineering Co Ltd, Sunderland

History

1897: Launched by Edwards Bros, Howden-on-Tyne (Yd.No.547) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Manchester as HAWK.
7.8.1897: Registered at Fleetwood (FD176).
7.8.1897: (John E. A. Kelsall & George Beeching, Fleetwood designated managers.
8.1897: Completed.
29.10.1898: On the Smalls ground with the K&B ‘Gamecock’ fleet. Trawler TEUTONIC (FD180), transferring boxes when boat began to fill with water and sank leaving crew, J. Lewis, mate, Martin Stuart, bosun and Thomas, third hand in water. Stuart a Yarmouth man was seen to go under but did not rise again. Other two picked up but Stuart’s body not recovered.
24.3.1899: Fleetwood registry closed. Transferred to Hull. George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London designated managers.
12.4.1899: Registered at Hull (H238).
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (2-3pdrs) (Ad.No. 690). Based Peterhead with Unit 41 – patrol & escort.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 95.55 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1.11.1915: Based Longhope with Unit 41 – patrol & escort.
9.1.1916: Based Malta with Unit 41 – patrol & escort.
17.2.1917: Whilst escorting British steamer OKEMENT (4349grt/1915) unit was torpedoed by U.boat (U64) 120 miles SE by S of Malta in approx position 34.04N 16.27E. Stopped to render assistance and was also hit with torpedo intended for Okement. Seven killed*. Foundered.
27.12.1917: Hull registry closed “Vessel total loss 17th February 1917 on Admiralty Service”.

*Killed – Michael Palmer, 2nd Hand; John Johnson & James Souter, Enginemen; William J. Cowan & George Leask, seamen; Henry Gregson, telegraphist; John W. Tennant, trimmer.

Changelog
22/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
04/02/2016: Information updated.
25/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Hagnaby (2) GY203

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3793
Official Number: 143935
Yard Number: 342A
As built: As built 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 feet
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 114
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Fawcett Preston & Co Ltd, Liverpool
Built: Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ayr

History

5.8.1918: Launched by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ayr (Yd No.342A) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as DOMQUE GENTILE (Ad.No.3793).
15.10.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr).
9.12.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as DOMQUE GENTILE O.N.143935.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
1.6.1920: Landed at Milford. Laid up.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.8.1920: Registered at London (Part IV) as DOMQUE GENTILE (LO411).
11.1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler at Milford.
22.11.1920: Landed at Milford.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
2.1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby.
6.2.1925: London registry closed.
13.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY203).
303.03.1925: Registered at Grimsby as HAGNABY (GY203). Fred Parkes, Wyberton designated manager. Fishing from Fleetwood.
By 6.1926: Registered office established at Fleetwood.
5.1927: Sold to Gumersindo Roura, La Coruna. Renamed SANTIAGO RUSIÑOL.
2.6.1927: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1927: Registered at Corunna.
195?: Company restyled Gumersindo Roura S.L.
195?: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1978: Believed sold for breaking up.

(Dominique (Domque) Gentile, Private, Marine, age ?, b. Valletta, Malta – VICTORY (ML179))

Changelog
20/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
16/09/2016: Information updated.
24/12/2020: Updated history.

S.T. Princess Victoria (1) H766

Technical

Official Number: 118769
Yard Number: 350
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 272
Net Tonnage: 84
Length: 128.3 ft
Breadth: 22.4 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull

History

27.8.1903: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.350) for Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as PRINCESS VICTORIA.
23.9.1903: Registered at Hull (H766).
9.1903: Completed (George T. Armitage, manager).
1915: Transferred to Fleetwood (George T. Armitage, manager).
9.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an armed trawler (Ad.No.1971).
7.11.1915: Foundered off Ushant following collision.
25.3.1916: Hull registry closed “Total loss”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Princess Victoria H766

S.T. Princess Victoria H766

Changelog
21/12/2008: Page published.
30/10/2014: Picture added.