Category Archives: Wartime Visitors

S.T. Christine IJM2 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Milford Trawlers, Keith Morgan and Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 123730
Yard Number: 798
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 213 (As built 215g)
Net Tonnage: 68 (As built 87n)
Length: 117.3 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.798) for George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven as INDIA.
10.1906: Completed.
17.10.1906: Registered at London (LO248) (O.N.123730). George H. D. Birt designated managing owner.
22.10.1906: Arrived Milford (Sk. Nightingale). Landed £159 gross.
26.1.1910: Returned to Milford (Sk. William Jones), having been knocked on her beam ends and swept clean by very heavy seas when fishing 250 miles to the west of St. Ann’s Head. Mate, J. Scoble, had been washed overboard but recovered. Put into Berehaven, Co. Cork to attend to injured and pump out.
9.6.1911: Last landing at Milford.
7.1911: Sold to N.V. Algemeene Viss. Maats., IJmuiden in an en bloc deal with PERSIA (LO250). J. F. Clerq & E. H. Heijmans, managers.
7.1911; London registry closed.
7.1911: Registered at IJmuiden as CHRISTINE (IJM2).
1920: Transferred to Vereenigde Exploitatie Mij. (VEM)*, Ijmuiden. A. J. Veltkamp & S. Koster, managers.
1931: J. F. Clerq & S. Koster designated managers.
1932: J. F. Clerq appointed manager.
1933: Company re-styled N.V. Visscherij-onderneming “De VEM”, IJmuiden (F. Thiel, manager).
9.5.1940: Escaped from Holland to England.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
19.7.1943: Typical landing, Home Waters. 655 kits – hake-480, haddock-30, flats-15, ling/coley-110, roker-20.
1945: Returned to Holland and resumed fishing from IJmuiden.
1950: Sold to shipbreakers. IJmuiden registry closed.
6.1951: Breaking up completed.

Note * – Vereenigde Exploitatie Mij ( VEM) was founded from 3 companies:
Algemeene Visscherij Mij (20 vessels)
Exploitatie and Administratie Maatschappij ”Shamrock I”.( 12 vessels)
Vereenigde Steenkolenhandel, Afdeling Reederij. ( 21 vessels) ( Afdeling Reederij = Section Shipping Company)
Also the VEM had bought from other companies: 3 motor fishing vessels, 18 sailing fishing vessels, so there was 64 vessels but many were old.

Changelog

17/03/2013: Page published. 5 updates since then.
23/11/2018: Updated information.

S,T. Amstelstroom IJM91 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 118765
Yard Number: 292
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 174 (As built 183)
Net Tonnage: 68 (As built 65)
Length: 109.1 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston Ltd, Glasgow

History

13.8.1903: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.292) for The Great Northern Steamship Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as ESSEX.
8.1903: Completed (William R. Nowell, manager).
8.9.1903: Registered at Hull (H762) (O.N.118765).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3329).
4.1917: Renamed ESSEX III. Based Holyhead.
1919: Sold to Charles Dobson, Grimsby (managing owner).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner and reverted to ESSEX (H762).
17.3.10919: Hull registry closed.
20.3.1919: Registered at Grimsby (GY130).
23.2.1920: Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd formed to purchase the fleet of Charles Dobson.
5.1920: Sold to Dobson Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Charles Dobson, manager).
1.1929: Sold to Exploitatie Mij. “De Stroomlijn”, IJmuiden (J. E. Koning & J. Van der Made, managers).
8.1.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
1.1929: Registered at IJmuiden as AMSTELSTROOM (IJM91).
1931: J. Brachthuizen appointed manager.
1932: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Cornelia”, IJmuiden (H. J. van der Laan & J. H. Kerkhoven, managers).
1933: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Mij. “Twee Gezusters”, IJmuiden (P. Parlevliet, manager).
1935: L. Parlevliet Dzn & L. Parlevliet Nzn appointed managers.
1940: Escaped to England.
1940-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1945: Sold to L. Parlevliet Dz, IJmuiden (managing owner).
1945: IJmuiden registry closed. Registered at Katwijk as DIRK (KW157).
28.11.1946: Stranded on beach near Petten 20 miles north of IJmuiden.
3.1947: Refloated.
12.1947: Sold to Amels & van der Berg, Harlingen. Katwijk registry closed. Registered at Harlingen as FRIESLAND (HA5).
7.1948: Sold to Zeevisscherij Mij. “Limburgia”, IJmuiden. Harlingen registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as HOLLANDIA (IJM78).
10.9.1948: Stranded near Westkapelle, Walcheren; subsequently refloated and returned to service.
1951: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Changelog

17/03/2013: Page published. 6 updates since then.
28/06/2019: Information updated.

S.T. Knikker IJM4 (Wartime visitor)

Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Yard Number: 275
Completed: 1899
Gross Tonnage: 189
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl by Sir C. Furness Westgarth & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

7.10.1899: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.275) for Stoomvisscherij Mij “IJszee”, IJmuiden as BARENDSZ.
8.11.1899: Completed at Selby registered to Visscherij Mij “Barendsz”, IJmuiden (P van Vliet Kzn, manager).
11.1899: Registered at IJmuiden (IJM4).
1903: Sold to Maats tot Beheer van Steamtrawlers en andere visschersvaartuigen, IJmuiden (A. G. Meeuwenoord & A. de Vries, managers).
21.10.1916: Sold to Scheepsexploitatie Mij “Amsterdam”, IJmuiden (D. Boon, manager).
1921: Sold to Exploitatie Mij “Zandvoort”, IJmuiden (W. H. Driehuizen, manager).
1924: Sold to Visscherij Mij “Noorderlicht”, IJmuiden (W. H. Voogd, manager).
1927: Sold to Visscherij Mij “Gelria”, IJmuiden (Zwart, Loenersloot & Gomes, managers). Registered at IJmuiden as GELRIA (IJM4).
1935: Sold to Visscherij Mij “Knikker”, IJmuiden (N. Bakenhof, manager) Registered at IJmuiden as KNIKKER (IJM4)
1937: Sold to Visscherij Maatschappij “Protinus”, IJmuiden.
1938: Sold to Visscherij Maatschappij “De Daad”. IJmuiden.
1940: Escaped to England with many refugees.
1940s: Fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
1949: Laid up.
02.1950: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.
Engine: T.3-cyl by Sir C. Furness Westgarth & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Knikker IJM4

S.T. Knikker IJM4
Picture courtesy of The Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog

15/03/2013: Page published 4 updates since then.
14/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Perseus IJM45 (Wartime visitor)

Technical

Official Number: 108480
Yard Number: 193
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 157 (As built 160g)
Net Tonnage: 56 (61n)
Length: 100.2 ft
Breadth: 21.0 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull

History

1897: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Hull (Yd.No.193) for “D” Line Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as DANE.
18.9.1897: Completed (Arthur Jeffs, manager).
17.10.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY403) (O.N.108480).
6.1912: Sold to N.V. Vissch. Maats. “Praxis”, Ijmuiden (J. Prins & G Carst, managers).
3.6.1912: Grimsby registry closed.
6.1912: Registered at IJmuiden as PERSEUS (IJM45).
1940s: Escaped to England and fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents) (I.D.No.208).
1951: Sold to Dutch shipbreakers and broken up at IJmuiden.
1.1951: IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dane GY403

S.T. Dane GY403
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow Collection

S.T. Perseus IJM45

S.T. Perseus IJM45 Picture courtesy of the Jan Harteveld Collection

Changelog

13/03/2013: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
16/01/2019: Added an image.

S.T. Maria IJM95

Wartime visitor
Additional information courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 123595
Yard Number: 797
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 214 (as built). (212g )
Net Tonnage: 99 (as built). (71n)
Length: 117 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.797) for Frederick W. Mackrill, Cleethorpes (managing owner) as HYDRA.
11.1906: Completed.
30.11.1906: Registered at Grimsby (GY196) (O.N.123595).
10.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1918).
7.1916: Renamed HYDRA II. Based Dover.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner and reverted to HYDRA (GY196).
6.1928: Sold to N.V. Viss. Mij. “Maria”, IJmuiden (J. de Groot & T. H. Voogt, managers).
3.7.1928: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1928: Registered at IJmuiden as MARIA (IJM95).
1933: Viss. Mij. “Maria” in liquidation.
1934: Sold to Viss. Mij. “De Daad”. IJmuiden (F.J.F. & M.M. Weimar, managers).
1936: Sold to N.V. Vissch. Maats “Avanti”, IJmuiden (N.V. Vissch. Maats. De Daad, managers).
1940s: Escaped to England and fishing from Fleetwood (Bloomfield’s Ltd, managing agents).
5.4.1951: Sold to shipbreakers and broken up. IJmuiden registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Hydra GY196

S.T. Hydra GY196
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog

12/03/2013: Page published. 4 updates since then.
13/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermark from image.