Tag Archives: Admiralty Drifter

S.D/T. Ocean Lover YH107 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4125
Official Number: 137613
Yard Number: 566
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Boiler: James Abernethy & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

3.1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.566) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as GALE (Ad.No.4125).
5.1919: Sold to W. J. E. Green Ltd, Great Yarmouth (William J. E. Green, manager).
6.6.1919: Completed as OCEAN LOVER.
7.6.1919: Registered at Yarmouth (YH107).
30.10.1925: Landed at IJmuiden 125 crans grossed £285.
13.1.1926: Landed 5 tons of white fish at Yarmouth having been delayed two days by fog.
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, Fleetwood/Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agent) (Notable skipper, Arthur Cobb, Lowestoft).
17.3.1940: Requisitioned for war service under Naval control (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month). Based Southend.
15.11.1945: Returned to owner.
9.1.1946: Sold to Arthur P. Buchan (22/64), Peter Buchan (21/64) & John F. Buchan (21/64), Peterhead.
6.3.1946: Yarmouth registry closed.
3.1945: Registered at Peterhead (PD157).
6.1950: Off Rattray Head (Sk. Arthur Buchan) in thick fog, foundered after being in collision with steam trawler CUNNINGHAM (GY86). Nine crew picked up but Sk. Buchan who was taking this trip as a relief for his son Peter Buchan, was lost. Survivors landed at Peterhead.
7.1950: Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Ocean Lover YH107

S.D/T. Ocean Lover YH107
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Ocean Lover YH107

S.D/T. Ocean Lover YH107
Picture courtesy of The Greenday Collection

S.D/T. Ocean Lover PD157

S.D/T. Ocean Lover PD157
Picture from the Internet

Changelog

14/06/2011: Page published. 5 updates since then.
24/12/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/S. Silvernight GY138

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4186
Official Number: 146868
Yard Number: ?
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 91.89
Net Tonnage: 38.65
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 19.8 ft
Depth: 9.8 ft
Built: Routh & Waddingham, Winteringham
Engine: T.3-cyl by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles
Boiler: Clayton & Sons Ltd, Leeds

History

1920: Launched by Routh & Waddingham, Winteringham (Yd.No.- ) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as SWELL (Ad.No.4186).
23.6.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
14.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
3.8.1922: Sold to Grimsby Seine Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
3.8.1922: Samuel Franklin appointed manager. Converted for seine netting.
1.8.1922: Registered at Grimsby as SILVERNIGHT (GY138).
16.9.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Lloyds Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.4.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Samuel Franklin (64/64), Grimsby.
3.6.1932: Sold under mortgage (A) to Harry Franklin Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
7.6.1932: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
14.6.1932: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
14.7.1932: Shares (21/64) sold to Sk. Robert Cowie, Cleethorpes.
14.7.1932: Robert Cowie shares (21/64) mortgaged to Harry Franklin Ltd, Grimsby (C).
14.7.1932: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
8.11.1932: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1940-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
15.12.1947: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.1.1948: Robert Cowie shares (21/64) sold to Harry Franklin Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1.1.1948: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
1955: Sold for breaking up.
21.10.1955: Grimsby registry closed. “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge image

HMD Swell

HMD Swell
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow Collection

Changelog

07/04/2011: Page published. 5 updates since then.
22/01/2016: Information updated.
21/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/S. Whitenight GY88

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4161
Official Number: 146867
Yard Number: 18
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 94.56
Net Tonnage: 39.85
Length: 86.5 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 9.95 ft
Built: Clapson & Sons, Barton on Humber
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Boiler: Thos. Sudron & Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

14.2.1920: Launched by Clapson & Sons, Barton on Humber (Yd.No.18) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as FOUNTAIN (Ad.No.4161).
3.6.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
14.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
3.2.1922: Sold to Grimsby Seine Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Converted for seine netting.
19.7.1922: Registered at Grimsby as WHITENIGHT (GY88).
19.7.1922: Samuel Franklin appointed manager.
25.7.1922: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Loyds Bank Ltd, London (A).
18.12.1931: Mortgage (A) discharged.
21.12.1931: Sold to Harry Norman Franklin (64/64), Grimsby.
21.12.1931: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
14.1.1932: Shares (43/64) sold to Harry Franklin Ltd (43/64), Grimsby.
14.1.1932: Shares (21/64) sold to Sk. Andrew Wilson Mair (21/64), Cleethorpes.
14.1.1932: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
23.3.1932: Vessel mortgaged (43/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
24.5.1932: Andrew Wilson Mair shares (21/64) mortgaged to Harry Franklin Ltd (21/64), Grimsby (C).
7.11.1932: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1.3.1934: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.3.1934: Andrew Wilson Mair shares (21/64) sold to Harry Franklin Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
2.3.1934: Harry Norman Franklin appointed manager.
1940-1945: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1949: Converted to a floating club house for Grimsby & Cleethorpes Yacht Club. Moored in Alexandra Dock, Grimsby.
19.10.1954: Grimsby registry closed. “Vessel broken up” (although reported by beneficial owner, this was not the case).
1974: In poor condition buried by contractors in the building of the Grimsby car import terminal at Winnipeg (now Westgate).

Click to enlarge images

S.D/S Whitenight GY88

S.D/S Whitenight GY88
Picture courtesy of The ALB Collection

S.D/S Whitenight GY88

S.D/S Whitenight GY88
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
07/04/2011: Page published. 6 updates since then.
21/01/2016: Information added.
21/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.D/T. Seasons’ Gift LT127 (Seasonal)

Wartime visitor
Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139821
Yard Number: 544
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 35
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by James Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.544) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as SANDSTORM (Ad.No.3907).
31.5.1918: Completed (1-6pdr).
12.7.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
10.1920: Sold to Thomas Gilmour, Aberdeen (John H. Harrow, manager).
4.11.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as GLENBRECK (A381).
9.1923: Repossessed by The Admiralty.
3.9.1923: Aberdeen registry closed “Sold to Admiralty”.
10.1923: Sold to Thomas Thorburn Irvin, Aberdeen (managing owner).
16.10.1923: Aberdeen registry re-opened.
2.1924: Sold to John Dougal & David Dougal, Eyemouth (David Dougal managing owner)
26.2.1924: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1924: Registered at Berwick as RIVER EYE (BK3).
1926: Registered at Berwick as OLDEN TIMES (BK3).
12.1929: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
20.12.1929: Registered at Lowestoft (LT127).
31.1.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as SEASONS’ GIFT (LT127).
14.2.1930: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole (32/64) & Ernest George Catchpole (32/64), Lowestoft (Stanley Edward Catchpole, manager).
4.2.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
7.7.1931: Sold to Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane (32/64), Lowestoft & Isaac Alexander Kemp (32/64), Kessingland (Frederick Ernest Beane, manager). 27.2.1939: Sold to Frederick Ernest Beane, Lowestoft.
26.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service on balloon barrage (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
27.4.1940: Returned to owner.
1940-1945: Trawling from Fleetwood.
24.2.1941: In Wyre channel in collision with Icelandic wooden motor fishing vessel HELGI (115grt/1939).
3.1.1942: Frederick Ernest Beane died.
7.4.1943: Transferred to Mrs Margaret Beane, Lowestoft.
1946-1950: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
1954: Sold to Belgian shipbreakers.
17.5.1954: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.
12.8.1954: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog

21/02/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 146044
Yard Number: 568
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.568) ) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WATERSHED (Ad.No.4127).
18.10.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.10.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for disposal.
23.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft on Part IV Register (LT628).
27.7.1921: Lowestoft registry closed By Order of Chief Registrar of Shipping. “To be registered under Part I in London”.
7.1921: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London (No.401 of1921).
9.1921: Sold to Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. Croft Baker, manager).
9.1921: London registry closed.
12.9.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1302).
26.6.1922: Registered at Grimsby as SALVIAN (GY1302).
4.1923: Sold to Havre Pêcheries Co, Havre.
7.5.1923: Grimsby registry closed.
5.1923: Registered at Le Havre as SANVIE.
1924: Sold to James Ritchie, Gardenstown & others. Le Havre registry closed. Registered at Banff as CONVALLARIA (BF51).
27.11.1930: Sold to George Hitcham Catchpole, Lowestoft.
11.1930: Banff registry closed.
27.11.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT247).
9.7.1931: Sold to Stanley Edward Catchpole, Lowestoft.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agent).
30.3.1937: Re-possessed by mortgagee Peacock & Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Frederick Beane, manager).
12.8.1938: Sold to James Ritchie, Fraserburgh.
22.8.1938: Lowestoft registry closed.
3.9.1938: Registered at Banff (BF497).
1939: Sold to Mrs Jane A. Ritchie, Fraserburgh & others.
10.4.1940: requisitioned for war service on harbour defence patrol (Hire rate £17.17.10d/month).
10.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Sold to Albert Sutton & A. R. Sutton, Scarborough.
26.3.1946: Returned to owners. Fishing from Lowestoft.
1954: Sold for breaking up. Banff registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247

S.D/T. Convallaria LT247
Picture courtesy of The George Westwood Collection

Changelog

28/01/2011: Page published. 6 updates since then.
08/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.