Tag Archives: Hesketh ST Ltd

S. T. Marloes FD170

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger and Maurice Voss

Technical

Official Number: 128753
Yard Number: 466
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 220
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 117.4 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

30.3.1911: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.466) for Thomas G. Hancock, Hakin & John D. Harries, Milford Haven as MARLOES.
5.1911: Completed (Thomas G. Hancock, managing owner).
26.5.1911: Registered at Milford (M76).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.15).
1918: Sold to John W. Smethurst, Grimsby (managing owner). Based Harvre.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
5.1919: Sold to The Hesketh Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
20.5.1919: Milford registry closed.
21.5.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD170).
1922: Joseph A. & Harold Taylor, Fleetwood appointed managers.
1924: Magnus B. J. Wedum appointed manager.
30.12.1924: Sold to George J. Ward & Frederick Swann, Lytham (Seafield Trawling Co) (Walter Morley, Fleetwood, manager).
1926: Sold to Cie Belge de Pêcheries Maritimes, Ostend.
5.8.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
8.1926: Registered at Ostend as COMMANDANT BULTINCK (O177).
Pre 1929: Sold to Société Anonyme Pêcheries à Vapeur, Ostend (John Bauwens, manager).
3.10.1929: Homeward to Ostend (Sk. Gerwia Van den Bergen) after fishing off Isle of Man, in a hail storm gusting 70mph, rain, thunder & lightning, decided to run for Fleetwood, driven off course stranded on Rossall Beach in the early hours; three crew members lost attempting to get ashore for help (Celestinus-Franciscus Tratsaert, Mate; Pierre-Michel Luyens, deckhand and Willie Walter Ernest Van Yper, deck boy). Broken up in situ. Ostend registry closed.

Click to view a movie of the stranded vessel

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Marloes  FD170

S.T. Marloes FD170
Picture courtesy The David Slinger Collection

S. T. Commandant Bultinct O95 on Rossall Beach

S. T. Commandant Bultinct O95 on Rossall Beach
Picture courtesy of David Shuttleworth

S. T. Commandant Bultinct O95 on Rossall Beach

S. T. Commandant Bultinct O95 on Rossall Beach
Picture courtesy of David Shuttleworth

S.T. Commandant Bultinct 095

S.T. Commandant Bultinct 095
Picture courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Commandant Bultinck O95

S.T. Commandant Bultinck O95
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Commandant Bultinck O177

S.T. Commandant Bultinck O177

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew
Picture courtesy of Mario Couvreur & Marc Denman

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew Picture courtesy of Mario Couvreur & Marc Denman

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew
Picture courtesy of Mario Couvreur & Marc Denman

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew

Commandant Bultinck Lost Crew
Picture courtesy of Mario Couvreur & Marc Denman

Changelog
28/01/2009: Page published. 7 revisions since then.
27/11/2014: Added crew pictures and amended PLN.
10/03/2015: Added picture.
07/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
17/01/2018: Added a link to movie page.

S.T. The Norman FD145

Additional information courtesy of Göran Olsson

Technical

Official Number: 128742
Yard Number: 391
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 86
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland

History

22.10.1908: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.391) for Neale Bros, Penarth (Wilfred Neale, Cardiff; Howard K. Neale, Joshua S. Neale, Morley H. Neale, Douglas E. Neale, Penarth) as THE NORMAN.
12.1908: Completed (James Thomas, Milford Haven, manager).
16.12.1908: Registered at Milford (M231).
1910: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
15.12.1910: Milford registry closed.
12.1910: Registered at Cardiff (CF30).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service.
18.5.1915: Commissioned.
19.5.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted out as a minelayer (1-6pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.1762).
1917: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Dover.
1918: Sold to The Hesketh Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, manager).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
4.1919: Cardiff registry closed.
14.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD145).
1921: Joseph A. & Harold Taylor appointed managers.
1924: Magnus B. J. Wedum appointed manager.
30.12.1924: Sold to George J. Ward & Frederick Swann, Lytham (Seafield Trawling Co) (Walter Morley, Fleetwood, manager).
1926: Sold to Lambert Häller, Gothenburg.
11.6.1926: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.1926: Registered at Gothenburg as NORMAN (GG56).
1928: Sold to Elfgrimernas Trål A/B, Gothenburg (Lambert Häller, manager).
1944: Sold to A/B Doggersbankar, Gothenburg (Carl G. Edquist, manager).
Post 1945 Pre 1949: Sold to Göteborgs Torskmjölsfabrik, Gothenburg (Ch. Stranne, manager).
1963: Broken up in Gothenburg.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Norman GG56

S.T. Norman GG56
Picture courtesy of Göran Olsson

Changelog
08/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
22/08/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Laureate FD35

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Milford Trawlers

Technical

Official Number: 109890
Yard Number: 372
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 194
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 112 ft
Breadth: 21.2 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

20.8.1898: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.372) for William Hall Dodds, Aberdeen & others as LAUREATE.
2.10.1898: Laid at Waterloo Quay, Aberdeen. At about half past midnight, watchman John Smith was slackening a berthing rope when he stumbled and fell overboard. Gunsmith, John Tait who was onboard heard his cries, jumped into the water and managed to get a rope round Smith and he was quickly rescued none the worse for his immersion.
10.1898: Completed.
6.10.1898: Registered at North Shields (SN257). William H. Dodds designated managing owner.
6.10.1898: Ran engine trials in Cruden Bay. Achieved 11 1/2 knots.
10.10.1898: Sailed Aberdeen for Fair Isle grounds (Sk. Anthony Forster).
17.10.1898: Arrived off Aberdeen, unable to enter owing to strong gale and confused seas.
20.10.1898: At Aberdeen landed from the Fisher Bank catch worth £300.
17.1.1900: Arrived Aberdeen with OCEAN BRIDE (A743) in tow picked up disabled some 60 – 70 miles off Aberdeen.
29.5.1902: At about 1.00am. while entering Aberdeen on the north side of the channel, when near the Pilot’s House, Porch Pier, run into by herring boat NANCY (A219) outwards for the fishing grounds. Damage to the bows of NANCY which was cut to the waterline, towed to Pocra Pier and crew landed.
26.6.1902: Sold to The “Dodds” Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen. William H. Dodds designated manager.
8.1904: Transferred to fish out of Milford (John Pettit managing agent).
5.9.1905: First landing at Milford (Sk. J. W. Beck).
8.11.1905: At Milford landed bosun, Charles Goffem, with a fractured leg.
2.1.1906: Last landing at Milford.
29.11.1906: At Lerwick Sheriff Court, Sk. Peter Petersen, Aberdeen was charged with trawling 21/6 miles off the coast at Walls, Shetland on 22.9.1906. Pleading not guilty the defence, by advocate Mr Stott was lengthy, however the Sheriff found the charge proved and imposed a penalty of £75 or dirty days imprisonment.
1908: Transferred to fish from Oporto, Portugal.
7.9.19808: Arrived Oporto.
2.1910: While boarding another vessel in Oporto, Second fisherman, Thomas Lang (28), Aberdeen, fell overboard and drowned.
30.4.1910: While shifting berth in river Douro, struck submerged rock; subsequent inspection found no damage.
22.6.1910: Arrived Oporto.
1.1911: Sold to G. Puls, Oporto.
14.1.1911: North Shields registry closed.
1.1911: Registered at Oporto as LAUREADO.
1913: Sold to The Dodds Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
13.4.1914: Landed at Aberdeen 540 boxes 130 score.
5.1913: Oporto registry closed.
19.5.1913: Registered at North Shields as LAUREATE (SN237). William Hall Dodds designated manager.
12.5.1915: At Aberdeen, landed from Iceland grounds a fine shot of over 500 boxes of medium sized haddocks in excellent condition. Besides a number of halibut, cod and other fish, made £945.
4.6.1915: Picked up crew of steam trawler EBEBEZER (A.892) from a small boat and landed them at Lerwick. EBENEZER had been stopped on 4.6.1915 by U.boat (U19) some 117 miles SWx1/2S of Outer Skerries and sunk.
30.8.1915: At Aberdeen landed 450 boxes and 30 score fish after a 16 day trip, £787 gross.
21.9.1915: At Aberdeen landed 500 boxes and 10 score fish (32 tons) from a 20 day trip to Iceland grounds, £860 gross.
1.12.1915: At Aberdeen landed 320 boxes and 10 score fish (17 tons) from a 15 day trip, owing to scarcity of fish made a record £812 gross.
5.6.1916: Sold to The Hesketh Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with Nordenfelt 6pdr gun (No.269); complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1918: Released.
27.2.1919: North Shields registry closed.
28.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD35).
2.1919: Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
1921: Joseph A. Taylor & Harold Taylor designated managers.
7.11.1921: Fishing from Grimsby. On a North Sea trip (Sk. Dennis Randlesome), picked up two survivors of the Norwegian steamer ALF (1,128grt/1871) which had foundered off Smith’s Knoll Light-vessel.
15.3.1922: Sk. Randlesome presented with a silver cup by the Norwegian Government in recognition of the rescue of the Alf survivors.
1924: Magnus B. J. Wedum designated manager.
1924: Sold to Frederick Swann & George J. Ward, Lytham. Walter Morley, Fleetwood designated manager.
29.8.1925: Arrived Londonderry, Co Londonderry from Fleetwood for repairs.
1926: Sold to George Brown, Leith. George Brown designated managing owner.
7.1929: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
7.1929: Sold to Frank Thomas Vaughan (22/64), Hakin; Frank P. A. Lock (21/64), Hakin & Albert E. Marchant (21/64), Milford Haven. Frank Thomas Vaughan designated managing owner.
26.7.1929: Fleetwood registry closed.
30.7.1929: Registered at Milford (M29).
8.3.1937: Last landing at Milford.
7.5.1937: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
1.9.1937: Milford registry closed, breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Laureate FD35

S.T. Laureate FD35
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

S.T. Laureate FD35

S.T. Laureate FD35
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
25/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
27/02/2015: Picture added.
18/05/2016: Picture added and information updated.
12/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
19/10/2018: Updated information.

S.T. Glenbervie FD42

Technical

Official Number: 137805
Yard Number: 572
Completed: 1915
Gross Tonnage: 224
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 120.7 ft
Breadth: 22.7 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

23.8.1915: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd Aberdeen (Yd.No.572) for John Stewart Boyle, Glasgow as GLENBERVIE.
9.1915: Completed. John Stewart Boyle designated managing owner.
18.9.1915: Registered at Glasgow (GW14).
18.10.1915: From an Icelandic trip, landed 31 tons of fish – 600 boxes and 40 score of cod, £1035 gross.
11.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.438). Based Harwich.
1918: Sold to The Hesketh Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor designated managers.
3.1919: Glasgow registry closed.
4.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD42).
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1922: Joseph A. & Harold Taylor designated managers.
3.1924: Sold to John Lewis Ltd Aberdeen.
23.3.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
2.10.1924: Registered at Aberdeen (A53). Andrew Lewis designated manager.
4.11.1924: Sold to John Lewis Ltd & Sk. James Porter, Aberdeen. Andrew Lewis remains manager.
03.06.1929: Sir Andrew Lewis designated manager.
6.7.1929: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin, Granton. Thomas L. Devlin designated managing owner.
6.7.1929: Aberdeen registry closed.
7.1929: Renamed CONQUISTADOR (GN10).
01.09.1938: Responded to distress call from steam trawler CONCERTATOR (GN8) disabled close to Dubh Artach Lighthouse after her trawl warp fouled propeller. Connected and after 40 mile tow delivered Oban; beached to clear propeller.
1939: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin Ltd, Granton.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £61.12.0d/month). Based Queenborough with M/S Group 120 (WILDFIRE II base ship).
15.8.1940: In company (Temp Sk. J. Paterson RNR) with LIBRA (Dutch) (P.No.FY867) (Temp. Sk. R. Aughton RNR) shot down a German aircraft.
13.11.1940: Acting Skipper John Paterson R.N.R. and Seaman Harold White mentioned in despatches.
25.11.1940: Foundered after collision in Thames estuary while returning to harbour with some rescued crewmen from the previously sunk HMT KENNYMORE (P.No.FY857)(GY 38); Temp Sk. J. Paterson RNR and all crew rescued. Subsequently salved and broken up.ntly salved and broken up.

Changelog
21/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
14/11/2020: Updated history.

S.T. General FD76

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow, Andy Hall and Douglas Paterson

Technical

Official Number: 109031
Yard Number: 221
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 191.01
Net Tonnage: 70.29
Length: 112.7 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Bailey & Leetham, Hull

History

6.4.1898: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.221) for The East Coast Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as GENERAL.
26.5.1898: Registered at Hull (H397). Robert Blades designated manager.
1.6.1898: Completed.
12.1898: Sold to The Palatine Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
27.12.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY1014).
30.12.1898: Hull registry closed. Arthur Jeffs designated manager.
9.1.1899: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (A).
15.11.1901: Arrived Grimsby. Sk. George Linnet reported that James Goodgroves, deck hand was washed overboard on Wednesday 13 Nov. Stated that deceased left the bridge to attend the fires. He was away a long time and the second hand and the skipper went in search, but could find no trace. The BoT inquiry, held by Mr Bach, found that no blame could be attached to any one.
04.11.1904: In collision with the steam trawler XANTHOSIA (GY368) near Lower Burcom buoy, Humber estuary striking her on the port side, the damage to the shell plating being so severe that with the ingress of water she started to settle. Crew transferred and vessel foundered within five minutes. Survivors landed at Grimsby.
22.11.1906: Mortgage (A) discharged.
30.11.1906: Sold to Harry Birch Jeffs (64/64), Grimsby.
30.11.1906: Sold to Harry Birch Jeffs & George William Jeffs, Grimsby (64/64 joint owners).
31.11.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
1.12.1906: George William Jeffs designated managing owner.
05.09.1907: A BoT inquiry was held at Grimsby into the mysterious disappearance of a young trimmer, named Johnson, on the last trip when the trawler was some ten miles from Codling Head, Faeroe. Sk. Bantock had ordered Johnson to shoot the fish livers into a cask at the trawler’s stern. Later, he heard a cry of “Man overboard.” The engines were immediately rung full speed astern and Johnson was seen struggling in the water. The crew gathered life lines and lifebuoys, but before the vessel reached the struggling man, he disappeared beneath the waves, and was not again seen; Johnson was heavily clad and could not swim. A verdict of accidental death by drowning was recorded and no blame attached to Sk. Bantock.
12.5.1908: Arrested by German gunboat ZEEDER while off German coast inward to IJmuiden to land (Sk. Grimmer). Taken to Cuxhaven but released 24 hours later with no charge. Owners protested.
8.1912: New boiler.
11.6.1913: At Grimsby Coroner’s Court held at the Grimsby Hospital an inquest was held into the death of Thomas Patrick Magee (37), a foreman in the fish empties yard of the Great Central Railway Co. Magee had sailed in the trawler as the guest of Sk. Michael Coghan. Shortly after sailing for the fishing grounds, Magee complained of a headache and the skipper administered smelling salts. Later Magee became worse, suffering from delusions and tried to jump overboard seeking to rescue people he believed were in the water. Despite every possible attention by the skipper Magee died the following day and the vessel returned to Grimsby where the body was conveyed to the mortuary. The post mortem revealed death was due to congestion of the brain caused by the excessive use of alcohol and a verdict was recorded by the Coroner (Mr Thomas Mountain) in accordance with the medical testimony.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 75.99 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
29.10.1914: Mortgage (B) discharged.
31.10.1914: Sold to John Gervase Campbell, James Thomson, Michael Thomson, Charles Bruce Miller & Charles Clark Fraser, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners).
5.11.1914: John Gervase Campbell designated managing owner.
6.11.1914: Grimsby registry closed.
10.11.1914: Registered at Aberdeen (A173).
1915: Sold to The Aberdeen General Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. John G. Campbell designated manager.
1.5.1915: Sold to Martinus Augustus Olesen & Edith Kendall, Cleethorpes.
15.6.1915: While on the Icelandic fishing grounds, at about 6.30am., deckhand George Durrant (36), Aberdeen was discovered to be missing.
16.6.1915: George Durrant’s body was picked up in the net of a Hull trawler and returned to the vessel, landing him at Seyðisfjörður where he was interred.
29.6.1915: Landed a catch of 40 tons at Aberdeen.
29.7.1915: Sold to The Hesketh Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor, Thornton-le-Fylde designated managers.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
7.3.1919: Aberdeen registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD76).
1922: Joseph A. & Harold Taylor appointed managers.
1924: Sold to William Gray, Dunbar.
1925: Sold to J. Flockhart, Newhaven, Edinburgh. Alex Flockhart, Leith designated manager.
2.2.1927: On the fishing grounds 210 miles NE of the Isle of May, Firth of Forth, trawled up a large skull measuring about 4 feet 10 inches long by 3 to 4 feet across. On return to Leith the skull was landed and identified by the Natural History Department of the Royal Scottish Museum as a bottle nosed whale, probably about 24 ft long.
1927: Sold to N.V. Visscherij Maats Poolzee (Jac. Frater Smid & G. Prins), IJmuiden.
29.11.1927: Fleetwood registry closed.
12.1927: Remeasured 182g 44n.
12.1927: Registered at IJmuiden as POOLZEE (IJM77).
1940s: Fishing out of Fleetwood. Bloomfield’s Ltd, Fleetwood managing agents.
5.6.1943: Typical landing. 279 kits – hake-235, cod/codling-15, haddock-3, flats-4, ling/coley-16, roker-3, gurnard-2, dogs-1.
1948: Whaleback fitted.
4.1951: Sold for breaking up. IJmuiden registry closed.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. General FD76

S.T. Poolzee IJM77
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Changelog
21/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
27/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.
25/12/2017: Significant information update.
30/10/2020: Updated history.