Tag Archives: Mason & Wright

S.T. Cygnet FD110

Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell


Official Number: 124687
Yard Number: 340
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 300
Net Tonnage: 111
Length: 130.5 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: Richardsons Westgarth & Co Ltd,
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields


27.2.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.340) for Richard Watson Mason (sailmaker) & John Wright (fishing master) (64/64 joint owners) Fleetwood as CYGNET.
18.4.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD110), John Wright appointed manager.
18.4.1907: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
4.1907: Completed.
15.5.1907: Mortgage (A) discharged.
16.5.1907: Sold to Cygnet Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard W. Mason, manager).
17.5.1907: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
1.11.1911: Thomas Caldwell appointed manager.
19.4.1911: In collision with sailing trawler KING DAVID (FD93) near ferry slipway. KING DAVID holed and beached on Knott Spit.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out at Devonport as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.126).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 116.61net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.11.1914: At Plymouth; Parent ship VIVID.
3.1917: Renamed CYGNET II.
22.9.1915: Based Plymouth with Unit 122. Later based Stromness.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood and reverted to CYGNET (FD110).
1.11.1919: Mortgage (B). Mortgagee changed name to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London.
11.1925: Mortgage (B) discharged.
11.1925: Sold to Tr°ol AB Fiskm°asen, Uddevalla, Sweden (Sven Sanne, manager).
30.11.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.
1925: Registered at Uddevalla as STORMF°OGELN (U18).
1928: Johan Herman Sanne appointed manager.
11.1936: Sold to Knut Vartdal, Aalesund. Registered at Aasund as RAMOEN (M-1-VD).
1936: Transferred to Rederi A/S Ramoen, Aalsund (Knut Vartdal, manager).
9.1939: Transferred to Norwegian Navy as guardship in Oslofjord.
14.4.1940: Seized by Germans and put into service.
1945: Transferred to Rederi A/S Ramoen, Aalsund (Knut Vartdal, manager).
1948: Fitted out as a motor trawler.
1948: Re-engined with 500bhp 2stroke 5-cyl oil engine by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Glasgow. (engine made ?).
1960: Johannes K. Vartdal appointed manager.
1961: Re-engined with 600bhp 2stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Wichmann Mtrf., Rubbestadneset.
4.1964: Reported breaking up completed.

Click to enlarge image

National Railway Museum

S.T. Cygnet FD110width=

S.T. Cygnet FD110
© National Railway Museum and SSPL

S.T. Cygnet FD110

S.T. Cygnet FD110

18/05/2012: Page published. 10 updates since then.
14/09/2015: Information updated.
03/02/2016: Minor information update.
04/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks.

S.T. Adventure FD154


Official Number: 109728
Yard Number: 398
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 184
Net Tonnage: 49
Length: 110.2 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.4 ft
Built: Brooklyn Steam Fishing Co Ltd
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen


12.3.1906: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.398) for Henry A. Tweddell, Hartlepool as ADVENTURE.
4.1906: Completed.
14.4.1906: Registered at Hartlepool (HL19 ).
1909: Fishing out of Fleetwood (Sk. G. Aket).
1912: Sold to Richard Watson Mason & John Wright, Fleetwood. Richard W. Mason designated managing owner.
9.1912: Hartlepool registry closed.
14.9.1912: Registered at Fleetwood (FD154).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 71.05net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
13.3.1915: Twelve miles off Black Head, Rhins of Galloway. Picked up body from damaged lifeboat ex auxiliary merchant cruiser BAYANO (5948grt/1913) torpedoed 3 miles west of Corsewall Point, Rhins of Galloway (55.03N 5.26W) by U-boat (U27).
11.3.1915. Put in to Ramsey to land body later identified as CPO H. B. Williams.
6.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA). Renamed ADVENTURE II (Ad.No.2771).
6.6.1916: Sold to Brooklyn Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Richard W. Mason, manager).
26.3.1917: Sold to Margaret Fawns, Granton.
4.10.1917: Sold to Archibald Glen Brown, Granton.
14.10.1917: Reverted to ADVENTURE (FD154).
1919: Returned to owner.
1.1920: Sold to John Mitchell, Peterhead. Robert S. Mitchell designated manager.
25.2.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.2.1920: Registered at Peterhead (PD239).
1921: Sold to Imperial Cold Storage & Supply Co Ltd. Aberdeen.
6.1.1922: Trawling off Buchan Ness (Sk. William Cowe); ten crew in total. On hauling 10 miles SSE of Buchan Ness, mine in trawl exploded causing hull damage on the starboard side in way of the fishroom. Pumps could not cope with ingress of water and abandoned before foundering. All crew saved by another trawler.
13.1.1922: Peterhead registry closed “Totally lost”. Wreck lies upright in 71metres in position 57.24N 01.37W facing south-east.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Adventure HL19

S.T. Adventure HL19
Picture from the Internet

Note Adventure’s Bell salvaged by Buchan Shipwrecks. Wreck found & dived 24 August 2007 at 57 24.097N 01 37.318W 7 miles east of Cruden Bay.

Adventure's Bell

Adventure’s Bell
Picture from the Internet

18/05/2012: Page published. 8 updates since then.
27/07/2015: Information updated.
02/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
11/06/2019: Minor information update.