Tag Archives: Parkes

S.T. Braconmoor A143

Technical

Official Number: 162276
Yard Number: 632
Completed: 1931
Gross Tonnage: 356
Net Tonnage: 163
Length: 140.3 ft
Breadth: 24.6 ft
Depth: 13.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

23.12.1930: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.632) for Don Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as BRACONMOOR.
1.1931: Completed (John S. Doeg, manager).
23.1.1931: Registered at Aberdeen (A143).
1.1.1939: On the Faroe fishing grounds (Sk. James Morrison), skipper fell overboard and deckhand James Henderson jumped in the water to save him. Sk. Morrison was recovered but there was no sign of James Henderson; presumed drowned.
27.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.686) (Hire rate £185.8.4d/month).
14.4.1941: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
8.1946: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce) (“Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich Sp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia, managers) under the UNRRA scheme.
6.8.1946: Alteration of tonnage. Certificate of Survey at Cardiff 31.7.1946 – 356.15g 155.61n.
9.8.1946: Aberdeen registry closed.
8.1946: Registered at Gdynia as WEGA (GDY??).
20.3.1966: Sold for breaking up at Gdansk. Gdynia registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

HMT Braconmoor

HMT Braconmoor
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. Wega GDY 92

S.T. Wega GDY 92
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

S.T. Wega GDY 92

S.T. Wega GDY 92
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
09/06/2016: Information updated.
14/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
16/05/2018: Added images.

S.T. Almandine H415

Technical

Official Number: 163097
Yard Number: 572
Completed: 1932
Gross Tonnage: 295 (287)
Net Tonnage: 135n (126)
Length: 129.0 ft
Breadth: 24.0 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

27.9.1929: The Board of Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd requested Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd to submit a design for a new class of trawler for use on the North Sea and Faroes grounds.
18.12.1929: Design was approved and contracts signed with the shipyard to build the ships and with Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engine and boiler at a total cost of £14,025. The name chosen was AVANTURINE (Yd.No.542). In the tender the shipyard included the option to build additional vessels to this design at the same price.
19.1.1931: The option was exercised and a further two vessels ordered, the price agreed was £13,850 and names chosen SIBERITE (Yd.No.564) and EUCLUSE (Yd.No.565).
20.1.1932: Two further vessels were ordered the price agreed being £13,450. The names chosen were ALMANDINE and PYROPE.
Total cost for ALMANDINE, with amendments, fishing gear and other equipment £14,024.11.10d.
5.4.1932: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.572) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ALMANDINE.
30.4.1932: Registered at Hull (H415).
12.5.1932: Completed (John William Lown, manager).
14.5.1932: Sailed on first trip to Faroe grounds.
4.8.1932: Landed 641 kits of herring grossed £361.
19.10.1933: In strong SSE wind connected to trawler De la POLE (H395) disabled with fouled propeller.
20.10.1933: Delivered Hull (awarded £250 by Hull Steam Trawlers Mutual Insurance & Protecting Co Ltd).
19.11.1938: On St. Andrew’s dock slip fitted with bronze propeller.
30.5.1939: In Princess Dock, Hull. Boiler fitted with superheater by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd.
25.7.1939: Insured value £13,900.
29.8.1939: Admiralty telegram informing owners that ship would be requisitioned at 5.00 pm.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service (Hire rate £162.5.0d/month).
1.9.1939: Sailed for London with RN crew. Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No. FY645).
1940: Based Grimsby with M/S Group 40 (Ch. Sk. A. Robb, RNR).
10.2.1940: Steam trawler THERESA BOYLE (GN4) (Sk. Oliver Bell) damaged by German air attack when fishing 115 miles ExN of Aberdeen. Took to boat and vessel foundered.
12 .2.1940: At 4.30 p.m. RAF aircraft overflew boat, rocket fired. Aircraft communicated with HM Trawlers BRABANT (GY544) (P.No.FY.586) and ALMANDINE (H415) (P.No.FY.645), ‘sweeping 10 miles away. After 50 hours in open boat picked up by ALMANDINE and landed at ?? at 6.00 p.m. all crew suffering from exposure.
1.1941: At Grimsby (Ty/ Sk. S. A. White RNR).
5.1.1943: Returning in company to the Humber in a storm with snow squalls, stranded on a sand bank. Spurn lifeboat attended and at great risk to herself took off nineteen crew and landed them on the beach. Refloated on flood, tug connected and after taking off three remaining crew, proceeded to Grimsby.
10.7.1945: Off Lizard Point, Cornwall picked up eleven survivors from HM Trawler KURD (H344/P.No.FY639) (Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barratt RNR) which had been mined with loss of sixteen crew including CO*.
22.5.1946: Returned after refurbishment at Hull by Stewart & Graig Ltd.
22.5.1946: Sailed on trip to Faroe grounds.
30.9.1948: Sold to Milford Fisheries Ltd, Milford Haven (Owen W. Limbrick, manager) for £27,500.
10.1959: Converted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
10.1959: Remeasured 287g 126n.
16.2.1960: Reginald James Parry appointed manager.
17.2.1962: Sold to Hammond Lane Metal Co Ltd, Dublin (Donald James Flavin, manager).
2.3.1962: Sold to Mrs Daisy Pretoria Carter, Milford Haven (Alastair Adams, manager).
1962: Laid up at Milford.
10.6.1963: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
10.1963: Sold to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
7.12.1963: Arrived Troon Harbour (draughts 6’0”/15’3”).
16.12.1963: Breaking commenced.
30.1.1964: Beached (draughts 7’0”/8’9”).
17.3.1964: Rebeached.
16.4.1964: Breaking completed.
15.6.1964: Hull registry closed “Broken up”.

(MPK* – Ty/Act Lt Cdr Roy Barrett RNR; Ty/Sub Lieut. Ronald W. Wooden RNVR; Edwin Spooner, Ch.Engineman; Edward H. F. Ranson, Engineman; Cyril G. Lowe, PO; William Bassett, Ldg Seaman; Frederick W. H. Griffiths, Ldg Cook; Thomas A. Aitken, John G. Bond, Vincent Ware, Charles R, Wright, Seamen; Dennis R.H. Faulkner, Arthur G. Bunnett, Ord Seamen; Patrick J. McQuade, Telegraphist; Insull C. Guest, Stoker; Kenneth G. Bray, Stoker 2c)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415 Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

S.T. Almandine H415

S.T. Almandine H415
Picture courtesy of The Phil Smith Collection

Changelog

20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
14/04/2014: Picture added.
08/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
19/06/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Calydavia M110

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3679
Official Number: 143465
Yard Number: 359
Completed: 1918
As Built: 360disp 125.6 x 23.5 x 12.8 ft
Gross Tonnage: 277
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 125.7
Breadth: 23.4
Depth: 12.8 ft
Built: Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew

History

28.6.1918: Launched by Bow, McLachlan & Co Ltd, Renfrew (Yd.No.359) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as CHARLES DONELLY (Ad.No.3679).
12.7.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, Hydrophone and W/T).
4.5.1920: Sold by auction at Milford to David Pettit, Hakin for £8500.
25.5.1920: Registered at London (LO358).
10.7.1920: Registered at London as CALYDAVIA (LO358) (Ref BT minute 10871 dated 24/6/1920).
10.7.1920: London registry closed.
21.7.1920: Registered at Milford (M110).
1920: Transferred to D. Pettit Ltd, Milford Haven (David Pettit, Hakin, manager)
1934: Mrs Elizabeth A. H. Pettit appointed manager.
2.11.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
4.2.1935: Sold to Liston Carnie, William Carnie Jnr and Thomas Young Carnie, Glasgow & Newhaven.
4.2.1936: Milford registry closed.
2.1936: Registered at Granton as PELAGOS (GN55).
1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
9.3.1940: Fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal in company with ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786) and SEDOCK (SN12) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. Group approached by U-boat (U.38) which fired a single round at a trawler, hitting her in the engineroom and she subsequently sank. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the trawler probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
Pre 4.1940: Employed on Fishery Protection (WA/Fort William/Fleetwood).
30.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a patrol vessel (P.No.4.103) (Hire rate £83.2.0d/month).
3.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper.
1942: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1945: Sold to Joseph Craig, Aberdeen.
8.1945: Returned to owner.
1945: Granton registry closed.
6.7.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A589).
26.1.1953: Sold to Craig Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (64/64)
1953: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up. 30.12.1953: Arrived Granton from Aberdeen under own power.
30.4.1954: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up.”

(Lost* – Sk. James P. Thomason (28), Fleetwood & Dublin; William Donnelly, Blackpool, Mate; P. J. Scanlon, Cleethorpes, Bosun; Alexander McLeod, Stornoway, Ch Eng; Bernard Smith (23), Dublin, 2nd Eng; Thomas Mulligan, Fleetwood & Dublin & Anthony Pill, Fleetwood & Dublin, deckhands; Michael Cullen (17), Dublin, fireman; Patricio McCarthy (42) Dublin, cook; James Hawkins (17) Fleetwood & Dublin & Robert Sumler (16), Fleetwood & Dublin, apprentices)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Calydavia M110

S.T. Calydavia M110
Picture courtesy of The Peter Green Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/11/2015: Picture added.
10/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
25/10/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Clixby GY180

Technical

Official Number: 143859
Yard Number: 108
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 280
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl by Gauldie, Gillespie & Co, Glasgow
Built: G. Brown & Co Ltd, Greenock

History

29.3.1918: Launched by G. Brown & Co Ltd, Greenock (Yd.No.108) (“Castle” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES CEPELL (Ad.No.3718).
8.5.1918: Completed (1-12pdr, hydrophone and W/T).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as JAMES CEPELL O.N.143859.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
1920: Fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100 A1 Stm Trawler.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.08.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) as JAMES CEPELL (LO421).
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
2.1925: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby.
6.2.1925: London registry closed.
13.2.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY180).
5.3.1925: Registered at Grimsby as CLIXBY (GY180). Fred Parkes, Wyberton, Boston appointed manager. Fishing out of Fleetwood.
7.1926: Sold to Oscar Dahl, La Rochelle.
29.7.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
7.1926: Registered at La Rochelle as ANTIOCHE II.
1939: Requisitioned by Marine Francois as a minesweeper (P.No.AD285).
3.7.1940: Seized in Falmouth. Transferred to The Admiralty.
12.1940: Commissioned as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1746).
1944: Transferred to Free French Forces (D42).
1946: Returned to French owners.
1952: Sold to ?? UK.
10.1952: Sold to BISCO and allocated to John Cashmore Ltd, Newport, Monmouthshire for breaking up.
6.11.1952: On delivery voyage, La Rochelle-Newport, broke away from tug and went ashore Isle D’Quessant. Broken up in situ.

(James Cepell, Armourer, age 35, b. London – VICTORY (SB867))

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
20/09/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Ceylonite GY170

Technical

Official Number: 144317
Yard Number: 340P
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 249
Net Tonnage: 109
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 480ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley

History

Ordered by Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull. Requisitioned by The Admiralty on the stocks, no instalment monies paid.
7.7.1917: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.340P) (non-standard “Castle” class) for The Admiralty as THOMAS BUCKLEY (Ad.No.3607).
20.12.1917: Completed as a minesweeper (1-12pdr & W/T).
24.12.1917: Delivered.
1.10.1918: At Penzance F.C.T. Escort (Chief Skipper RNR).
28.5.1919: Loaned to US Navy (North Sea Minesweeping Detachment).
7.10.1919: Returned to The Admiralty.
1919: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries and engaged in commercial trawling.
7.1.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as THOMAS BUCKLEY O.N.144317.
28.01.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO276). Laid up.
between 18.05.1920 – 18.06.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London for commercial trawling.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
12.1920: At John I Thornycroft & Co Ltd, Woolston completed fitting out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Southampton.
1920: Allocated to the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
01.1922: Scheme abandoned, the necessary working capital of £100,000 having not been subscribed. Laid up.
1922: Sold to Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull.
25.10.1922: London registry closed.
10.1922: Remeasured 100net.
6.11.1922: Registered at Hull (H724). Walter Scott designated manager.
27.11.1922: Registered at Hull as CEYLONITE (H724).
29.1.1930: Sold to Taylor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. Charles Taylor designated manager.
31.1.1930: Hull registry closed.
1.2.1930: Registered at Grimsby (GY170).
22.6.1939: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
27.6.39: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
9.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on patrol duties (1-12pdr) (Hire rate £72.12.6d/month).
9.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY1853).
1.1946: Laid up.
22.5.1946: Returned to owner.
9.10.1947: Sold to Joseph Croan (64/64), Newhaven, Edinburgh.
3.12.1947: Joseph Croan designated managing owner.
3.12.1947: Grimsby registry closed.
12.1947: Registered at Leith (LH246).
1960: Sold to BISCO (£2750) and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.77E).
14.6.1960: Delivered Charlestown from Granton under own power.
12.6.1961: Breaking up commenced.
(Thomas Buckley, Private, Marine, age 29, b. Northwich, Cheshire – VICTORY (ML69))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Ceylonite LH246

S.T. Ceylonite LH246
Picture courtesy of Shetland Maritime Museum

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 revisions since then.
01/09/2014: Picture added.
28/09/2014: Removed incorrect picture.
17/11/2019: Updated information.