Tag Archives: Parkes

S.T. Croxby GY642

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 132105
Yard Number: 214
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 215
Net Tonnage: 104
Length: 118.9 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: T.3-cyl (425ihp) and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

1.5.1911: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.214) for John Wilfred Grant (16/64), William Grant (16/64), Dawson Robinson (16/64) & Harry Robinson (16/64), Grimsby as CROXBY.
19.6.1911: Registered at Grimsby (GY642).
19.6.1911: William Grant designated managing owner.
19.6.1911: Completed.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1632). Based Dover.
6.11.1915: Harry Robinson mortgaged shares (16/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (A).
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner.
1.6.1922: John Wilfred Grant appointed manager.
13.7.1923: Dawson Robinson died.
13.9.1923: Probate granted. Shares (16/64) transferred to Harry Robinson (32/64).
3.12.1926: William Grant died.
13.4.1927: Probate granted. Shares (16/64) transferred to Arthur Grant & John Wilfred Grant , Cleethorpes and William Grant Jnr, Navenby & Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone (16/64 joint owners).
28.5.1927: Arthur Grant & John Wilfred Grant, Cleethorpes and William Grant, Navenby & Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone joint shares (16/64) sold to John Wilfred Grant (21/64) & Arthur Grant (6/64), Cleethorpes and Hugh Bourne Grant (5/64), Humberstone.
28.2.1930: John Wilfred Grant, Cleethorpes shares (21/64) and Hugh Bourne Grant, Humberstone shares (5/64) sold to Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (26/64), Grimsby.
7.3.1930: Arthur Grant, Cleethorpes shares (6/64) sold to Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd (32/64), Grimsby.
13.3.1930: John Wilfred Grant, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
9.2.1934: The Rugby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, shares (32/64) sold to Harry Robinson (64/64), Grimsby.
9.2.1934: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.2.1934: Harry Robinson designated managing owner.
25.6.1935: Off Aberdeen in collision with trawler EBOR BELLE (GY101) which foundered. Crew picked up.
13.5.1940: Sold to Supreme Fishcuring Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
3.6.1940: Basil A Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
5.7.1943: Sold to John Carl Ross (64/64), Grimsby.
20.7.1943: Harvey Wilfred Wilson appointed manager.
23.7.1946: Sold to Grimsby Merchants Amalgamated Trawling Ltd (64/64) Grimsby.
29.9.1948: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (B).
8.5.1952: Mortgage (B) discharged.
13.5.1952: Sold to Alfred Bannister (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. George Edward Penistone appointed manager.
27.3.1960: Sold to H. P. Heuvelmen NV, Krimpen aan den IJssel for breaking up.
4.5.1960: Grimsby registry closed “…on sale to foreigners (Dutch subjects) for breaking up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Croxby GY642

S.T. Croxby GY642
Picture courtesy of Steve Farrow

S.T. Croxby GY642

S.T. Croxby GY642

S.T. Croxby GY642

S.T. Croxby GY642
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Croxby GY642

S.T. Croxby GY642
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

Changelog
13/03/2013: Page published.
17/11/2014: Picture added.
11/04/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Uranus H1293

In Parkes (Fleetwood) ownership. Did not fish from the port.

Technical

Yard Number: 740
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 429
Net Tonnage: 157
Length: 150 ft
Breadth: 25 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

6.3.1920: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.740) for Louis Dero, Le Havre as URANUS.
7.9.1920: Completed. Registered at Le Havre (H1293).
6.1921: Sold to Sociètè Havraise de Pèche, Le Havre.
1925: Transferred to Fécamp.
1929: Sold to Basil Parkes, Fleetwood.
1.1930: Sold to Victor Fournay, Boulogne. Le Havre registry closed. Registered at Boulogne as MARC ACHILLE (B1400).
04.02.1939: Off the south west Norway coast, at about 1.00am stranded 2 miles SW of Utsire, pumps unable to cope with ingress of water. Norwegian fishing vessel NIBDDJUPEVAG responded to distress and all crew taken off. At about 5.30am vessel rolled over and foundered. Boulogne registry closed.

Changelog

31/01/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.T. Cradock LT591

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4472
Official Number: 139348
Yard Number: 170
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Boiler: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith

History

1.1919: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.170) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CHALMERS (Ad.No.4472).
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale.
1919: Sold to Leonard C. Cockrell, Wivenhoe.
2.5.1919: Renamed CRADOCK.
30.8.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear.
8.9.1919: Registered at Hull (H78).
17.9.1919: Hull registry closed.
22.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT591).
27.11.1919: Sold to Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Leonard C. Cockrell, manager).
19.1.1921: First landing at Milford Haven.
3.12.1923: Sold to Arthur S. Bowlby, Harlow (Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd) (Edward D. W. Lawford, Milford Haven, manager).
12.12.1928: Last landing at Milford.
24.12.1928: Sold to Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd, Dundee (William N. Taylor, manager).
1932/33: Landing occasionally at Milford.
5.1933: At Fleetwood with Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd involvement.
9.12.1933: Sold to Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Thomas S. Read, manager).
23.12.1933: Lowestoft registry closed.
15.1.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN8).
24.2.1935: At about 10.30am. when outward from North Shields for fishing grounds, in collision off the Satellite buoys, with inbound Aberdeen registered steam coaster KILDRUMMY (629grt/1924) which sustained extensive damage to shell plating starboard side forward. Returned to North Shields with damage forward and stem twisted; KILDRUMMY proceeded up the Tyne.
8.11.1941: Attacked and bombed by German aircraft, 14 miles NNE of St. Abbs Head and subsequently foundered; crew of nine away in lifeboat.
19.11.1941: North Shields registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

(William Chalmers, Master, age 35, b. Lerwick – HMS ROYAL SOVEREIGN)

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 10 updates since then.
03/08/2015: Information updated.

S.T. Cleopatra II M213

Technical

Official Number: 127404
Yard Number: 360
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 240
Net Tonnage: 71
Length: 120.2 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Co Ltd, Wallsend
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

8.10.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.360) for David Pettit, Milford Haven (managing owner) as CLEOPATRA.
18.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M213).
11.1907: Completed.
24.1.1910: Laying to in heavy gale and shipping seas, 275 miles W by 1/4S from St. Ann’s Head, lost boat and other damage (Sk. J. Bryant).
31.10.1910: Fishing 240 miles W by S from St. Ann’s Head, caught gear of ABELARD (M17). Port bow damaged by ABELARD when hauling (Sk. George Gibbs).
12.3.1914: In heavy seas proceeding to Crook Haven, Co. Cork for shelter (Sk. Walter Smith). Ch. Eng., John Bowen (37) slipped when getting up ashes and was lost overboard and drowned.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.140).
12.1914: Renamed CLEOPATRA II.
21.1.1915: Registered at Milford as CLEOPATRA II (M213). Based Portsmouth.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven (David Pettit managing owner).
25.9.1932: Entering Baltimore, Co. Cork stranded on NW corner of Perch Rock.
26.9.1932: Refloated with assistance.
20.10.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
21.11.1934: Sold to Harley & Miller Ltd, Liverpool (Richard H. Jones, Wallasey, manager).
21.11.1934: Milford registry closed.
11.1934: Registered at Liverpool (LL47).
7.1937: Sold to Edgar E. Carter, Milford Haven (Westward Trawling Co Ltd).
11.1937: Liverpool registry closed.
12.7.1937: Registered at Milford (M235).
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (employed as auxiliary patrol). Renamed TEAZER (Hire rate £60.0.0d/month).
2.1940: Returned and reverted to CLEOPATRA II (M235).
1.1960: Sold to Haulbowline Industries Ltd, Passage West, Cork for breaking up.
12.1.1960: Sailed Milford for Cork (Sk. Tom Salter).
21.3.1960: Milford registry closed.

Changelog

20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Braconlea A227

Technical

Official Number: 137620
Yard Number: 584
Completed: 1920
Gross Tonnage: 200
Net Tonnage: 76
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 22.0 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

9.1.1920: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.584) for Charles H. George, Caister on Sea, Gt Yarmouth as DONUM MARIS.
6.8.1920: Registered at Gt. Yarmouth (YH227).
7.1920: Completed.
12.8.1920: Sold to Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John S. Doeg, manager).
14.9.1920: Yarmouth registry closed.
23.9.1920: Registered at Aberdeen as BRACONLEA (A227).
17.3.1940: In North Sea in company with AVONDEE (A826), bombed by German aircraft; no damage sustained and fire returned.
1942: Company and fleet sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
7.1945: Sold to Haven Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (R. P. Lewis, manager).
1946: Sold to John W. Johnstone, Aberdeen.
5.10.1952: In strong gale decided to make for Mid Yell Voe, Shetland to shelter (Sk. William Summers). At entrance to Voe struck rocks at the Baas of Hascosay and immediately started to take water. Boat launched and requested assistance by radio and siren. Already at anchor in the Voe sheltering was the Aberdeen steam trawler GEORGE H. HASTIE (SN274); weighed anchor and with local boat in tow proceeded to the casualty. Crew transferred by local boats to GEORGE H. HASTIE and landed at Mid Yell.
6.19.1952: With exception of Skipper and Ch. Engineer, crew embarked in STRATHLEVEN (A47) for Aberdeen. Subsequently declared a CTL. Aberdeen registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Braconlea A227

S.T. Braconlea A227
Picture courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/05/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.