Tag Archives: Strath

S.T. Cradock LT591

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4472
Official Number: 139348
Yard Number: 170
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Boiler: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith

History

1.1919: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.170) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM CHALMERS (Ad.No.4472).
4.4.1919: Advertised for sale.
1919: Sold to Leonard C. Cockrell, Wivenhoe.
2.5.1919: Renamed CRADOCK.
30.8.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear.
8.9.1919: Registered at Hull (H78).
17.9.1919: Hull registry closed.
22.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT591).
27.11.1919: Sold to Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Leonard C. Cockrell, manager).
19.1.1921: First landing at Milford Haven.
3.12.1923: Sold to Arthur S. Bowlby, Harlow (Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd) (Edward D. W. Lawford, Milford Haven, manager).
12.12.1928: Last landing at Milford.
24.12.1928: Sold to Robert Taylor & Sons Ltd, Dundee (William N. Taylor, manager).
1932/33: Landing occasionally at Milford.
5.1933: At Fleetwood with Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd involvement.
9.12.1933: Sold to Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Thomas S. Read, manager).
23.12.1933: Lowestoft registry closed.
15.1.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN8).
24.2.1935: At about 10.30am. when outward from North Shields for fishing grounds, in collision off the Satellite buoys, with inbound Aberdeen registered steam coaster KILDRUMMY (629grt/1924) which sustained extensive damage to shell plating starboard side forward. Returned to North Shields with damage forward and stem twisted; KILDRUMMY proceeded up the Tyne.
8.11.1941: Attacked and bombed by German aircraft, 14 miles NNE of St. Abbs Head and subsequently foundered; crew of nine away in lifeboat.
19.11.1941: North Shields registry closed “Sunk by enemy action”.

(William Chalmers, Master, age 35, b. Lerwick – HMS ROYAL SOVEREIGN)

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 10 updates since then.
03/08/2015: Information updated.

S.T. Braconhill A138

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4422
Official Number: 139805
Yard Number: 649
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

30.1.1919: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.649) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM BENTLEY (Ad.No.4422).
1919: Sold to The Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John S. Doeg, manager)
1.3.1919: Completed as BRACONHILL.
14.3.1919: Registered at Aberdeen (A138).
29.1.1920: Sold to Sidney Allen & Woodford Elles-Hill, London.
6.10.1920: Sold to Sam Robford Co Ltd, London (Keith R. Hoare, London, manager). Transferred to Fleetwood.
23.6.1928: Sold to Arthur Ogg, Aberdeen (Richard W. Lewis & Sons Ltd, managers).
Pre 1930: Delete managers.
14.3.1934: Sold to Bracken Steam Trawling Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (William A. Leith, manager).
1936: Sold to G. R. Wood, Aberdeen.
1937: Sold to G. Wood (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (G. R. Wood, manager).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Hire rate £63.8.9d/month).
12.2.1940: Returned to owner.
16.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. ) (Hire rate £63.8.9d/month).
25.2.1942: Sold to G. R. Purdy Trawlers Ltd, North Shields (George R. Purdy, manager).
6.1945: Surveyed and restored at Newcastle.
2.7.1945: Returned to owner.
22.1.1947: Registered at Aberdeen as AGNES PURDY (A138) (BoT Minute RG No.1641/1946 dated 14.12.1946).
14.11.1957: Sold to W. H. Dodds & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (A. W. King, manager).
6.12.1957: Registered at Aberdeen as PHALAROPE (A138).
1961: Sold to Dutch shipbreakers for breaking up.
2.8.1961: Aberdeen registry closed.

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/09/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Braconburn A768

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4418
Official Number: 144676
Yard Number: 645
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 78
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

9.10.1918: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.645) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as RICHARD BRISCOLL (Ad.No.4418).
8.11.1918: Completed as a minesweeper/training ship.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
07.1920: At HM Dockyard, Sheerness fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at London.
13.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
24.08.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) as RICHARD BRISCOLL O.N.144676 (LO440).
9.1921: Sold to The Don Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
8.11.1921: Registered at Aberdeen (A768).
J. S. Doeg designated manager.
9.11.1921: London registry closed.
21.12.1921: Registered at Aberdeen as BRACONBURN (A768) (BoT Minute No.36609 dated 17.12.1921).
14.4.1941: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
26.4.1943: Typical wartime landing. 383 kits – cod/codling-18, haddock-330, ling/coley-25, dogs-10. F6.
1944: Sold to The Admiralty for use as a blockship.
30.7.1944: On passage to Scapa Flow foundered after collision with American steamer Le BARON RUSSELL BRIGGS (7176grt/1944) off Bell Rock in position 56.35N 02.10W; six crew lost. 26.9.1944: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel sank in collision in North Sea …”.

(Lost – Sk. J. A. Clixby, F. S. Barwick, A. Christy, J. W. Oldham, T. E. Taylor, J. A. Todd)

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
03/09/2016: Information updated.
22/09/2016: Information updated.