Tag Archives: Smack

sv Industry FD22


Official Number:
Completed: 1830
Net Tonnage: 21
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Freckleton


Smack – trawling

1830: Completed by ??, Freckleton for ??, ?? as INDUSTRY.
1854: Thomas & William Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Thomas Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1898: Fleetwood registry closed.

26/02/2011: Page published.

s.v. Ida FD153

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall


Official Number: 67139
Completed: 1855
Net Tonnage: 22.91
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Rothesay


1865: Completed by ??, Rothesay as IDA.
1.1.1870: Not listed in MNL.
1.1.1875: Owned by Peter Leadbetter Jnr, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD153).
1.1.1876: Owned by John Thompson , Isle of Whithorn, Wigtonshire. Registered at Fleetwood as ISLE OF BUTE (FD153).
1.1.1880: Owned by Hugh Stewart, Tonderghie, Whithorn, Wigtonshire.
By 1.1.1982: Owned by John A. Douglas, Monreith, Wigtownshire. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Wigtown.
1.1.1886: Owned by George F. Levason, Whitehaven. Wigtown registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (2/1886).
1.1.1890: Same.
1893: Owned by Thomas Brown, Maryport (managing owner).
1895: Owned by Joseph Greenop, 12 Stanley Street, Workington (managing owner).
5.3.1895: Sailed Workington for grounds off St.Bees Head. In the afternoon run down by the Whitehaven steamer WALNEY (238grt/1881) (Capt Hunter), foundering quickly but crew of three picked up by the steamer.
26.3.1895: At the Board of Trade Inquiry at Whitehaven, the court found the master of the WALNEY was not justified in leaving only one man on deck and that the collision was caused by the seaman on watch, Edward Anderson porting the helm when he thought he was starboarding. Capt Hunter was ordered to pay £5.0.0d towards the cost of the Inquiry.
1895: Whitehaven registry closed.

26/02/2011: Page published.
22/11/2014: Information updated.
28/11/2014: Information updated.
26/11/2018: Information updated.

s.v. Hannah Eliza FD8

Additional material courtesy of Ian Wilson


Official Number: 22654
Completed: 1855
Net Tonnage: 31.78
Rig: Smack
Built: George Rigby & Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton


1855: Completed by George Rigby & Peter Rawstrone, Freckleton as HANNAH ELIZA. Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
1.1.1868: Owned by William Gornall, West Street, Fleetwood.
1.1.1875: Owned by Frederick William Rigby, Preston.
26.1.1881: Fishing out of Ayr. In collision one man lost.
By 4.1884: Owned by Patrick Murphy, 15 Swingpump Lane, Whitehaven. Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Whitehaven (4/1884).
By 1888: Re measured 23n, coasting.
1888: Sold to Bernard McGeehan, Kirkistown, Co. Down (managing owner). Employed as a trading smack.
22.12.1894: At Maryport (J. McGeehan, Master). In a severe WNW gale Force 9, lying laden with coal, damaged.
27.12.1894: Off Maryport involved in a collision with the Bangor owned Belfast registered vessels, BRIGANTINE C. M. REYNOLDS (50525) (144n/1864) and schooner LOUISA (8173) (59n/1838). Crew of three rescued. Declared a Total loss. Whitehaven registry closed.

26/02/2011: Page published. Three updates since then.
21/11/2014: PLN added.
26/11/2018: Updated information.

s.v. Grace Darling FD21


Official Number: 17238
Completed: 1852
Net Tonnage: 24
Rig: Smack
Built: ?? Peel


1852: Completed by ??, Peel as GRACE DARLING.
1855: Registered at Fleetwood (FD21).
1.1.1875: Owned by Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1.1.1880: Owned by Lawrence Collinson, Fleetwood.
1997: Fleetwood registry closed. Registered at Ramsey.
1908: Ramsey registry closed.

26/02/2011: Page published.
17/11/2014: Information amended.

s.v. Ellen and Ann

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson


Official Number: 20853
Completed: 1858
Gross Tonnage: 84.6
Length: 51.3 ft
Breadth: 16.2 ft
Depth: 7.5 ft
Rig: Smack – trawling


1858: Completed by Gibson & Butcher, Fleetwood for ??, ?? as ELLEN and ANN. Registered at Fleetwood.
1.1.1870: Owned by H. & C. Blundell, Southport.
1.1.1875: Owned by Henry Wroe, Row Lane, North Meols.
1876: Registered at Liverpool (14/1876).
1.1.1880: Owned by Thomas Evans (64/64), Laburnum Villa, Egerton Street, New Brighton.
1891: Liverpool registry closed.
6.4.1891: Registered at Douglas (DO225).
5.11.1891: Sold to John Eccles (64/64), 21 Bank Road, Hoylake for the sum of £1,000.
16.11.1891: John Eccles designated managing owner.
4.10.1893: Remeasured 34g 34n.
12.1894: Sailed Hoylake for fishing grounds off the Welsh coast (Sk. John Eccles); five crew total.
21.12.1894: At about 2.00pm. in freshening weather, sailed Bangor for home in company with smack BETSEY (1630)(LL73) (32tons/1796/1877 owner Robert A. Aldred, Hoylake). In evening as storm increased and in snow and sleet separated from BETSEY which was cast ashore off Hoylake.
22.12.1894: In the early hours, ELLEN and ANN with sails carried away was driven into the Ribble estuary and took the ground off Birkdale, quickly opening up; all five crew drowned. (The Southport No.2 lifeboat EDITH and ANN (Cox William Robinson) was launched to other vessels in distress but had to return when her mainmast broke.)
24 & 26.12.1894: All bodies recovered.
27.12.1894: Inquest held at Southport.
25.7.1895: Douglas registry closed.

Note: Mrs. Eccles lost her husband, two sons and all their lifetime savings and was left penniless with four children. An appeal for help for her and Mrs. Sherlock was made at the end of the inquest.

Note: On 22 Dec 1894 MAUD PICKUP (Cox Robert Wright) which was newly arrived that year was launched to the 3-masted Barrow schooner ANNIE PICKUP and all crew saved. 120mph recorded at Fleetwood night of 21/22 Dec.

Crew lost – John Eccles (51), 21 Bank Road, Hoylake; Joseph Sherlock (57) Mate, Becks Yard, School Lane, Hoylake; Joseph Rainford (18) seaman; Edwin Eccles (20) seaman; John Eccles (15) cook. (Joseph Rainford was the stepson of Joseph Sherlock and the younger Eccles were sons of the skipper).

23/02/2011: Page published.
12/11/2014: Information updated.
21/11/2015: Added additional information