Tag Archives: Strath Class

S.T. River Spey A6

Additional information courtesy of Maggie Law Maritime Museum

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3691
Official Number: 143906
Yard Number: 80
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 202
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 115.1 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Boiler: Lindsay Burnett & Co, Govan
Built: Montrose Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Montrose

History

13.7.1918: Launched by Montrose Shipbuilding Co, Montrose (Yd.No.80) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as DAVID CONN (Ad.No.3691).
3.12.1918: Completed (1-12pdr).
29.11.1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) O.N.143906.
26.8.1919: The Admiralty (Director of Contracts) letter giving Charles F. Paton, Glasgow the option to purchase twelve steam trawlers at a price of £182,000.
21.10.1919: Option transferred by Charles F Paton to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd, Montrose.
15.11.1919: Sold to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Montrose. Charles F. Paton, Glasgow designated manager.
29.11.1919: Registered at London (Part I) as DAVID CONN O.N.143906.
12.1919: London registry closed.
26.12.1919: Registered at Montrose (Part IV) as DAVID CONN (ME96). Fishing as a great liner.
16.3.1920: Registered at Montrose as RIVER SPEY (ME96).
26.8.1921: Extraordinary general meeting called for the purpose of considering resolutions for the voluntary winding-up of the company, and the selling, by the liquidators, of the business and property of the company to a new company proposed to be formed with a name nearly as may be the same as that of the present company. Further finance to be arranged. Vessels laid up.
9.1921: Some vessels returned to fishing. Harry A. Holmes, Aberdeen designated manager.
10.5.1922: Extraordinary general meeting of the Company has been called in Edinburgh to consider the voluntary winding-up of the Company as, in the words of the resolution submitted, it ” cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business.”
10.5.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation; deficit about £100,000. Mr James Winning, chartered accountant, Glasgow appointed liquidator on advice of National Bank of Scotland Ltd the largest secured creditor.
1923: Sold by the liquidator to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Boston. Fred Parkes, Wyburton designated manager.
16.1.1924: Sold to the Misses Williamina & Kate H. Lewis (64/64 joint owners), Pitfodels, Aberdeen. William A. Mackie designated manager.
22.1.1924: Montrose registry closed.
23.1.1924: Registered at Aberdeen (A6).
17.10.1932: Sold to William Alexander Leith (64/64), Aberdeen. William Alexander Leith designated managing owner.
23.3.1934: At Sheriff Court, Stornoway, Sk. George Marsh pleaded “Guilty” to a charge of illegal trawling four-fifths of a mile off the Butt of Lewis and was fined £100 or 60 days imprisonment. On a second charge of failing to show regulation lights he was fined £40 or 40 days imprisonment. Sk. Marsh had three previous convictions and elected to go to prison.
29.12.1937: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
9.1.1939: First landing at Fleetwood, 290 boxes grossed £502.
8.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service for patrol duties (Hire rate £38.18.4d/month).
20.4.1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1643).
21.10.1942: Sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London. William A. Bennett designated manager.
16/17.4.1941: On patrol off Lowestoft (Sk. G. J. T. Rose RNR). RAF Wellington (S/L. Roy Elliott RAF) of No.3 Photographic Unit returning from a mission over Bremen in the wake of a bombing raid, had engine fire and shedding a propeller, lost height and ditched some nine miles E of Lowestoft. The eight man crew took to the damaged dinghy with two in the water holding on and were eventually sighted and picked up.
17.4.1941: Survivors landed at Lowestoft.
4.1944: Fitted out for danlaying and miscellaneous duties.
11.1944: Returned.
30.11.1945: Insured value £17,000; for 1946 same.
17.6.1946: Sold to St. Christopher Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
3.4.1951: First landing at Milford.
4.4.1951: Sold to J. C. Llewellin (Trawlers) Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven. John Charles Llewellin designated manager.
4.4.1951: Aberdeen registry closed.
9.4.1951: Registered at Milford (M130). Pareja pair trawling with SHIELBURN (M15).
14.8.1951: At Milford landed from a twelve day trip to west Ireland grounds (Sk. Jack Garnham Snr) pairing with SHIELBURN (M15) (Sk. Matthew Owston) a record post war catch of 401 kits £4,301 gross.
15.1.1955: Last landing at Milford.
16.1.1955: Berthed between SHIELBURN (M15) and LETTERSTON (M158), alongside Fish Market at Milford Haven. At just after 6.00 am. watchman found water ingress in engine room. Fire Brigade arrived quickly but despite their efforts with three pumps, started to settle by the stern and sank.
27.1.1955: Sold to D. V. Howells & Sons Ltd, Hakin. David V. Howells designated manager.
3.1955: Salved and sold to BISCO, allocated to Thos. W. Ward, Sheffield for breaking up.
23.5.1955: Arrived at Castle Pill, Milford Haven.
4.8.1955: Milford registry closed, breaking up completed.

(David Conn. Landsman, age 24, b. Stratford, London – VICTORY (SB61)

Note: – Crew 1940/41 – Skipper G. J. T. Rose RNR; Coxswain P. D. Jackson; Engine W. O. J. F. McEune, & Engineman W. Johnstone; Ldg Sea W. MacDonald: L/Sig (T) J. Quinn; Seaman Greathead, Seaman M’Coy, Seaman MacLeod, Seaman W. Rea, Seaman Squires; O/Seaman Chatburn, O/Seaman Booth, O/Seaman Wood; Stoker 1/c W. Walsh; Stoker 2/c G. Butler; Stoker 2/c G. G. Phipps; L/Cook G. W. Hume.
Click to enlarge images

HMT River Spey

HMT River Spey
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.T. River Spey A6

S.T. River Spey M15
Picture courtesy of Milford Trawlers

04/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
07/10/2015: Information updated.
12/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
20/04/2018: Information updated.
05/11/2018: Information updated.

S.T. River Earn FD419

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Maggie Law Maritime Museum

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3760
Official Number: 135790
Yard Number: 83
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 215
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 112 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Engine: 57hp T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Built: Montrose Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Montrose

History

1919: Launched by Montrose Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Montrose (Yd.No.83) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES FEAGAN (Ad.No.3760).
5.2.1919: Forms for tender to purchase received by the Admiralty.
26.8.1919: The Admiralty (Director of Contracts) letter giving Charles F. Paton, Glasgow the option to purchase twelve steam trawlers at a price of £182,000.
21.10.1919: Option transferred by Charles F. Paton to The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd.
17.12.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel for The Montrose Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Montrose. Charles F. Paton, Glasgow designated manager.
22.12.1919: Registered at Montrose (Part I & IV) as JAMES FEAGAN O.N.135790 (ME57).
16.3.1920: Registered at Montrose as RIVER EARN (ME57).
26.8.1921: Extraordinary general meeting called for the purpose of considering resolutions for the voluntary winding-up of the company, and the selling, by the liquidators, of the business and property of the company to a new company proposed to be formed with a name nearly as may be the same as that of the present company. Further finance to be arranged. Vessels laid up.
9.1921: Some vessels returned to fishing. Harry A. Holmes, Aberdeen designated manager.
10.5.1922: Extraordinary general meeting of the Company has been called in Edinburgh to consider the voluntary winding-up of the Company as, in the words of the resolution submitted, it ” cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business.”
10.5.1922: Company in voluntary liquidation; deficit about £100,000. Mr James Winning, chartered accountant, Glasgow appointed liquidator on advice of National Bank of Scotland Ltd, the largest secured creditor.
2.11.1922: Sold by the liquidator to Thomas Frederick Kelsall & Henry Blackburn (64/64 joint owners), Fleetwood.
12.11.1924: Sold to The River Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood. Thomas Frederick Kelsall & Henry Blackburn designated joint managers.
14.11.1922: Montrose registry closed.
20.11.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD419).
10.1925: Sold to A. Ciriza, San Sebastian, Spain.
31.10.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.1925: Registered at San Sebastian as MARCELINA de CIRIZA.
1944: Sold to Miguel Ojeda Perez, San Sebastian.
1946: Registered at San Sebastian as COSTA MONTAÑESA.
Post 1954 pre 1959: Sold to Constantino Castro Barrenechea & Others, Gijon.
1970?: Sold for breaking up.

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
07/10/2015: Information updated.
20/04/2018: Information updated.

S.T. Olden Times SN42

Additional information courtesy of Douglas Paterson and Andy Hall

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4425
Official Number: 143260
Yard Number: 652
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 202
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.5 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

11.4.1919: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.652) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as JOSHUA BUDGET (Ad.No.4425).
1.5.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
4.4.1919: Advertised by The Admiralty (Director of Contracts) for sale by tender to be received until 12 noon 10.4.1919.
4.1919: Sold to Richard Wardell Crawford (64/64), Scarborough.
11.6.1919: Registered at Scarborough as MARY CROWTHER (SH99). Richard Wardell Crawford designated manager.
14.4.1920: Sold to The Forth Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Edinburgh. Henry O. M. Lees, Granton appointed manager.
28.5.1920: Scarborough registry closed.
29.5.1920: Registered at Granton (GN61).
10.1920: Registered at Granton as FORTH VIEW (GN61).
31.7.1922; Company in voluntary liquidation “with a view to its reconstruction.” James Paterson, Edinburgh appointed liquidator and to enter into an arrangement with a new company, Forth Steam Trawling Co (1922) Ltd, for the sale to it of the whole business and assets of the company.
8.11.1922: Reported that the Forth Steam Trawling Co (1922) Ltd, Edinburgh had been formed.
24.12.1922: Forth Steam Trawling Co Ltd removed from register.
12.2.1923: Sold to Forth Steam Trawling Co (1922) Ltd, Edinburgh along with FORTH BANK (GN62)), FORTH HAVEN (GN60) and FORTH VALE (GN52). Henry O. M. Lees, Granton appointed manager.
8.1925: Vessels to be sold and proceeds applied to reducing bank overdraft; balance of overdraft to be met by Directors.
1925: Sold to Société Nouvelle des Pêcheries à Vapeur, Bordeaux.
15.9.1925: Granton registry closed.
1925: Re-measured 208g 53n 35,26 (115.7) x 6,67 (21.9) x 3,29 (10.8) metres (feet).
9.1925: Registered at Boulogne as ROCHE IVOIRE.
4.1934: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood.
1934: Re-measured 202g 88n 115.4 x 22.1 x 12.1 feet.
10.4.1934: Registered at North Shields as OLDEN TIMES (SN42).
4.5.1934: Sold to David Dougal, Tynemouth & others (c/o R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields).
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties. Employed on auxiliary patrol duties (Hire rate £63.2.6d/month).
20.2.1940: Returned.
8.1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to C. W. Dorkin & Co Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
1954: North Shields registry closed.

(Joseph (aka Joshua) Budget (aka Budgett, Buggett, Budger) AB, b. Frome, Somerset, age 26 – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB566) killed in action 21 Oct 1805 at Trafalgar)

Changelog
03/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
09/09/2016: Significant information update.

S.T. Nellie Melling FD25

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4415
Official Number: 143889
Yard Number: 642
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage: 87
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by James Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen (built 1917)
Boiler: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

9.9.1918: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd. No.642)(“Strath” class) for Admiralty as THOMAS BURNHAM (Ad.No.4415).
29.9.1918: Completed (1-12pdr).
1919: Registered by The Admiralty in the Registry of British Ships at London (O.N.143889).
24.8.1920: Registered by The Admiralty as a fishing vessel at London (LO446).
11.1921: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd (64/64), Grimsby. John Denton Marsden appointed manager.
28.11.1921: London registry closed.
7.12.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1325).
13.2.1922: Registered at Grimsby as FLORIBELLE (GY1325) (BoT Minute M/R.G.36930 dated 20.1.1922)
15.11.1923: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
27.11.1923: Mortgagee restyled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
4.3.1924: John D. Marsden knighted.
29.6.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd, Grimsby (Sir John D. Marsden, Bart, manager).
24.7.1928: Mortgage (A) discharged.
25.7.1928: Sold to Archibald Glen Brown (64/64), Granton.
26.7.1928: Grimsby registry closed.
26.7.1928: Registered at Granton (GN80).
26.7.1928: Archibald Glen Brown designated managing owner.
1932: Sold to Alexander W. Gardner, North Shields (managing owner).
1933: Registered at North Shields as COPIEUX (GN80).
1933: Granton registry closed.
21.4.1933: Registered at North Shields (SN157).
3.1938: Sold to George Cormack, Aberdeen (managing owner).
25.2.1938: North Shields registry closed.
28.2.1938: Registered at Aberdeen (A465).
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service designated as a minesweeper (Hire rate £60.18.0d/month).
3.2.1940: Returned to owner.
10.1942: Sold to Milford Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven (James C. Ward, manager).
5.10.1942: Aberdeen registry closed.
12.10.1942: Registered at Milford (M183).
6.1945: Sold to The River Ness Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (George Craig, manager) for £12,500.
2.9.1945: Milford registry closed.
4.10.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A599).
13.5.1949: Sold to Mellings Ltd, Fleetwood (W. Melling, manager).
17.5.1949: Aberdeen registry closed.
18.5.1949: Registered at Fleetwood (FD25).
7.7.1949: First landing at Fleetwood, 177 boxes, £718 gross.
7.1949: Registered at Fleetwood as NELLIE MELLING (FD25).
20.7.1949: First landing, 276 boxes, £1056 gross.
1.2.1954: Fishing off Isle of Man (Sk. Harry Buckley). On hauling found body in trawl. Skipper ordered body to be put back in water. (Body believed to be one of seven airman from RAF B29 Washington aircraft missing in area,
5.1.1954. 3.1955: Sold to Alexander Hay & John Main, Aberdeen (Alexander Hay managing owner).
25.3.1955: Fleetwood registry closed.
26.5.1955: Registered at Aberdeen (A17).
5.7.1955: Registered at Aberdeen as GIRDLENESS (A17) (MoT& C.A. Minute R.S.S.8/1/0494 dated 18 6.1955).
4.7.1957: Stranded near Cantick Head; Longhope lifeboat stood by.
7.7.1957: Refloated after jettisoning most of her bunkers. Returned to Aberdeen but declared CTL.
8.1957: Sold BISCO and allocated to G. & W. Brunton, Grangemouth for breaking up.
11.9.1957: Arrived Grangemouth under tow from Aberdeen.
25.9.1957: Delivered.
3.12.1957: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up at Grangemouth.”

(Thomas Burnham, AB (volunteer), age 30, b. Fareham. Hampshire – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB400))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Girdle Ness A17

S.T. Girdle Ness A17
Picture courtesy of Grimsby Reference Library

Changelog
29/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
09/11/2011: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.

S.T. Moray GN105

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3848
Official Number: 147964
Yard Number: 1315
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 206
Net Tonnage: 79
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine (1): C.4-cyl 11” & 22” – 10” steam engine driving experimental water jet propulsion and new boiler fitted by R. & H. Green & Silley Weir Ltd, Blackwall.
Engine (2): T.3-cyl by Plenty & Son Ltd, Newbury.
Built: Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe

History

9.1918: Launched by Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe (Yd.No.1315) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as HENRY JENNINGS (Ad.No.3848).
1919: Towed to Thames for machinery installation and completion by R. & H. Green & Silley Weir Ltd, Blackwall.
22.7.1919: Completed (W/T).
1920: Based at Portsmouth Torpedo School.
9.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London and renamed URE.
1921: Experimental water jet propulsion replaced with conventional shafting and propeller.
1924: Re-engined with T.3-cyl by Plenty & Son Ltd, Newbury.
1924: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby. (Fred Parkes, Wyberton, Boston, manager).
1924: Registered at Boston as ABY (BN19).
1925: Sold to General Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh (Adam E. Noble, Leith, manager).
12.1928: Boston registry closed.
27.12.1928: Registered at Granton as MORAY (GN105).
1930: Sold to Archibald G. Brown, Granton (General Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh purchased by A. G. Brown) (managing owner).
13.10.1932: Stranded near St. Monans, Fife. Refloated with bottom damage.
14.10.1932: Returned to Granton. Subsequent repair involved 10 shell plates and cost £100. Deckhand Peter Horne adjudged responsible and fined £5 for falling asleep.
1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager). Fishing from Fleetwood.
16.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a patrol vessel (Hire rate £61.16.0d/month).
22.10.1941: Fitted as a water boat (boiler feed) with portable tanks.
10.11.1942: Employed on miscellaneous duties.
14.3.1943: Foundered off St. Ann’s Head, Pembrokeshire in heavy seas while employed as a victualing supply vessel. Granton registry closed.

(Henry Jennings, Private, Marine, age 27, b. Wolverhampton, Staffordshire – VICTORY (ML83))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Moray GN105

S.T. Moray GN105
Picture courtesy of The Mark Stopper Collection

Changelog
27/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.
07/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.