Tag Archives: Strath Class

S.T. William Hanbury GY1322

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3824
Official Number: 144310
Yard Number: 160
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 204.10
Net Tonnage: 81.95
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith

History

8.1918: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.160) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM HANBURY (Ad.No.3824).
3.10.1918: Completed as an armed trawler (1-12pdr).
19.07.1919: Arrived Milford Haven. Laid up.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
3.1.1920 – 28.2.21: Landing at Milford.
27.3.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I & IV) as William Hanbury O.N.144310 (LO344).
04.1920: At HM Dockyard, Pembroke fitted out for fishing under Special Survey of Lloyd’s Register and classed 100A1 Stm Trawler at Milford. Fishing out of Swansea.
16.4.1920: Surveyed at Swansea and re-measured 204g 82n.
13.8.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
14.9.1920: In afternoon came upon a boat and picked up crew of the Plymouth owned Bridgwater ketch MERIDIAN (93grt/1858). The ketch on passage Par for Runcorn with china clay, had stranded in dense fog on the rocks near Smalls lighthouse at 9.00pm on 13.9.1920 and crew had abandoned in boat and stood off.
15.9.1920: Landed survivors at Milford. (Ketch came afloat afterwards and fetched up on rocks two miles N of Carsnore Point, Co. Wexford – total loss)
2.11.1921: Sold to Taylor Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
14.11.1921: London registry closed.
7.12.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1322).
7.12.1921: Henry Lewis Taylor designated manager.
25.11.1939: Paid off in Grimsby from her last trip.
26.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on auxiliary patrol duties (Nore/Sheerness)(Hire rate £61.4.0d/month).
1.1940: Returned.
13.2.1940: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
17.2.1940: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde designated manager.
16.2.1940: Sailed Grimsby for fishing grounds and Fleetwood.
4.3.1940: Landed Fleetwood. Grimsby crew paid off*.
7.3.1940: First trip from Fleetwood.
20.1.1942: In a SW gale at approx 9.45 p.m. stranded on St. Anne’s Head, Isle of Man (Sk. Thomas J. Wade). Attended by Port St. Mary lifeboat SIR HEATH HARRISON. All crew+ taken off. Total Loss.
21.1.1942: At 3.00 a.m. Sk. Wade died of heart attack at Castletown.
15.5.1942: Grimsby registry closed.

(Grimsby Crew* – Sk. H.G. Hunt; Mate, J. Gregory; Bosun, J. Hilton; Ch.Eng. L. Allott; 2nd Eng. J. Webster; A.E. Edgell, G. Briggs, firemen; J.W. Barton, deckhand/trimmer; W. Shepherd, G. Watcham, deckhands; R.W. Barton, cook.

Crew+ – Sk. Thomas J. Wade; Sidney J. Mitchell, Mate; William Wright, 3rd Hand; Charles R. Dodswell, Ch.Eng; Albert J. Wicks 2nd Eng; William Harrison, Wilson J. McAteer, firemen; Joshue B. Quickfall, Charles W. Exelby, Frederick Mearns and Robin E. Masson, deckhands; Sidney A. Melhuish, cook.)

(William Hanbury, Private, Marine, age 33, b. Stapleford, Notts – VICTORY (SB ML76)
Click to enlarge image

S.T. William Hanbury GY1322

S.T. William Hanbury GY1322
Picture courtesy of Geoffrey Pullen

Changelog

08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
06/03/2015: Picture added.
21/03/2017: Information updated and FMHT logo removed from image.

S.T. William Beaumont GY854

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3644
Official Number: 143911
Yard Number: 634
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 203
Net Tonnage 82
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

9.7.1918: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.634) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as WILLIAM BEAUMONT. (Ad.No.3644).
17.8.1918: Completed (1 – 12pdr HA).
1.1920: Sold at auction at Milford to Crown Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Sir George E. J. Moody, manager).
24.1.1920: Registered at Grimsby (GY854).
1925: Transferred to Fleetwood.
4.1928: Sold to Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
20.4.1928: Grimsby registry closed.
29.5.1928: Registered at Aberdeen as STAR OF SCOTLAND (A347).
10.12.1939: Damaged by German air attack 10 miles SE of Fetlar, Shetland.
1946: Sold to George Robb & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen (George Robb, manager). Registered at Aberdeen as VIKING STAR (A347).
Post 1958: Sold to Bruces Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen.
1960: Sold to Netherlands for breaking up.
3.1960: Arrived Rotterdam in tow of tug LOIRE.
(William Beaumont, AB (volunteer), age 22, b. Carlisle, Cumberland – VICTORY (SB419))

Changelog

08/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Sturdee LT588

Technical

Official Number: 139345
Yard Number: 657
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 215
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 74hp T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

12.6.1919: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.657) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as MICHAEL BRION (Ad.No.4430).
9.7.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel for Leonard C. Cockrell, Wivenhoe as STURDEE.
21.7.1919: Registered at Hull (H72).
1919: On registration at Hull measured 202g.
17.9.1919: Hull registry closed.
22.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT588).
12.1919: Sold to Vanessa Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Leonard C. Cockrell, manager).
1923: Sold to Arthur S. Bowlby, Harlow (Edward D. W. Lawford, c/o Iago Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven, manager).
7.5.1925: Arrested for trawling inside the limits in Bantry Bay, Co. Cork (Sk. Henry A. Edward).
27.8.1925: Appeared at Bantry District Court and fined.
1930: Transferred to Fleetwood when Edward D. W. Lawford moved his vessels to the port.
1932: Laid up at Fleetwood.
9.1932: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
9.1932: Sold to John Gore, Aberdeen (managing owner).
5.11.1932: Lowestoft registry closed.
19.11.1932: Registered at Aberdeen (A219).
1933: Sold to Gorspen Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Alexander J. Spence, manager).
1937: Sold to Alexander A. Davidson, Aberdeen (managing owner).
25.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper; employed on auxiliary patrol duties (Nore/Harwich)(Hire rate £63.2.6d/month).
31.1.1940: Returned.
1940: Sold to T. W. N. Davidson, Aberdeen (Alexander A. Davidson, manager).
1940: Directed to Fleetwood under wartime controls (Iago Steam Trawling Co Ltd, managers).
1944: Returned to Aberdeen.
1945: Sold to Looker Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Alexander A. Davidson, manager).
11.10.1956: Sailed Aberdeen on a North Sea trip (Sk.William Wilson); eleven crew.
19.10.1955: Arrived back off Aberdeen at 5.30 pm decided not to enter port but to drift in Aberdeen Bay until morning. Weather deteriorated in the evening, W to SW wind, moderate to heavy ground swell with poor visibility in passing rain showers. At about 9.30 pm. low water, stranded in a position to the northward of the Aberdeen North Breakwater . Crew of eleven* taken off by Aberdeen lifeboat HILTON BRIGGS (Cox. George Flett) and landed in Aberdeen.
20.10.1955: Catch landed.
10.1955: Declared a CTL and subsequently broken up in situ.
12/12.3.1956: At the Formal Investigation (S.435) held at Aberdeen, the Court found that the stranding and subsequent total loss was due to the fault of Sk Wilson and also of Reuben Rae, who had falsely claimed to hold a Second Hand’s Certificate. Sk. Wilson’s ticket was suspended for one year and Reuben Rae ordered to pay £15 towards the cost of the investigation.

(Crew* – All Aberdeen unless stated. Sk. William Wilson, Macduff; Reuben Rae, Mate; Charles Trowbridge, 2nd fisherman; John A. Reid, Buckie, Ch Eng; James Connell, 2nd Eng; Larry McEhatton, James Findlay, John Morrice, deckhands; Charles Shand, William Watt, firemen; Gordon Westland, cook.)

(Michael Brion, Landsman, age 25, b. Bandon, Co. Cork – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB728))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sturdee LT588

S.T. Sturdee A219
Picture courtesy of Billy Worrall

Changelog
07/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
25/06/2015: Picture added.
20/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Northward Ho A15

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3827
Official Number: 139338
Yard Number: 163
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 204
Net Tonnage: 88
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith

History

10.1918: Launched by Hawthorns & Co Ltd, Leith (Yd.No.163) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as JAMES HINES (Ad.No.3827).
1919: Sold to Benjamin Knowles, Hull.
13.5.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel for The Hollinwood Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (Benjamin Knowles, manager).
22.5.1919: Registered at Hull (H56).
1927: Sold to Seaward Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (Charles Hudson, manager).
13.5.1927: Registered at Hull as NORTHWARD HO (H56).
1929: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Altoft, manager).
3.1934: Sold to George Leiper, Aberdeen (managing owner).
1.3.1934: Hull registry closed.
3.3.1934: Registered at Aberdeen (A15).
16.7.1936: Landed at Fleetwood 248 boxes grossed £418 (Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, agents).
1938: Sold to W. Leiper, Aberdeen (managing owner).
11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.795) (Hire rate £63.15.0d/month).
1940: Sold to Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd & Regent Fishing Co (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen (Thomas Walker, manager).
1946: Sold to The Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Ralph S. Dugdall, manager).
28.2.1946: Returned after restoration and survey at Aberdeen.
1946: Registered at Aberdeen as SMEE (A15).
7.1955: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
28.7.1928: Delivered Bruges.
29.7.1955: Aberdeen registry closed.

(James Hines, Private, Marine, age 25, b. Wollondridge (?), Dorset – VICTORY (ML120))

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Smee A15

S.T. Smee A15
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Sedock GY123

Additional information courtesy of David Slinger

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4496
Official Number: 144386
Yard Number: 1330
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 202
Net Tonnage: 77
Length: 115.4 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl by A. G. Mumford & Co, Colchester
Boiler by Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Built: Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe

History

1919: Launched by Rennie Forrestt Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, Wivenhoe (Yd.No.1330) (“Strath” class) for The Admiralty as PATRICK DIVINE (Ad.No.4496).
04.1919: Offered for sale by tender, to be completed as a fishing vessel.
10.04.1919: Tenders closed at 12.00 noon.
1919: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as PATRICK DIVINE O.N.144386.
11.12.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel ex fishing gear. Initially landing at Gt. Yarmouth. Harry F. Eastick managing agent.
17.02.1920: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part IV) (LO323).
By 18.06.1920: Allocated to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
1920: Allocated to the National Fishery Scheme for the setting up of the Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London.
3.08.1920: Minesweepers’ Cooperative Trawling Society Ltd, London registered.
12.1921: Sold to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby.
12.12.1921: Registered at Grimsby (GY1332). John D. Marsden designated manager.
2.1922: Registered at Grimsby as YOLANDA (GY1332).
29.6.1927: Owners re-styled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd. Sir John D. Marsden Bart designated manager.
11.1929: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull.
21.11.1929: Grimsby registry closed.
22.11.1929: Registered at Hull (H133). George Altoft appointed manager.
1934: Sold to Shields Engineering & Dry Dock Co Ltd, North Shields.
17.2.1934: Hull registry closed.
26.2.1934: Registered at North Shields (SN12). Thomas S. Reid designated manager.
6.7.1935: Registered at North Shields as SEDOCK (SN12).
2.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £65.13.0d/month).
2.1940: Returned to owner.
9.3.1940: Fishing 12 miles NW of Tory Island, Co. Donegal in company with ALVIS (H52); FLYING ADMIRAL (H66); JOHN MORRICE (A786) and PELAGOS (GN55) and reported with the Irish trawler LEUKOS (D86) also in the vicinity. Group approached by U-boat (U.38) which fired a single round at a trawler, hitting her in the engine room and she subsequently sank. Although no conclusive evidence confirms, the trawler probably was the LEUKOS; all eleven crew lost*.
2.1940: Sold to Harry J. Richards, Milford Haven.
1941: Sold to Parkholme Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
6.3.1942: Last landing at Milford.
1942: Landing at Fleetwood.
8.1943: Sk. Reginald King (38) of Fleetwood died at sea from injuries sustained when helping with the trawl.
2.1945: Sold to Derwent Trawlers Ltd, Grimsby.
10.1945: North Shields registry closed.
10.1945: Registered at Grimsby (GY123). Grimsby Industries (Trawler Managers) Ltd designated managers.
8.1951: Sold to John C. Llewellin (Trawlers) Ltd, Milford Haven.
8.1951: Grimsby registry closed.
14.8.1951: Registered at Milford (M173). John C. Llewellin designated manager.
30.8.1951: Sold to North Eastern Trawlers Ltd, London. John C. Llewellin designated manager.
11.1951: Sold to Derry Trawling Co Ltd, Aberdeen.
14.11.1951: Milford registry closed.
16.11.1951: Registered at Aberdeen (A692). David Wood designated manager.
17.12.1951: Registered at Aberdeen as STRATHGAIRN (A692) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1332/51 dated 8.12.1951).
13.2.1959: Sold to Bruce’s Stores (Aberdeen) Ltd, Aberdeen.
7.1959: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
21.7.1959: Delivered Bruges.
21.8.1959: Aberdeen registry closed “Sold to Foreigners (Belgian subjects).”
(Patrick Divine, OS, age 20, b. Co. Kildare – ROYAL SOVEREIGN (SB619))

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
05/08/2016: Information updated.
15/12/2016: Information added.