Official Number: 109662
Yard Number: 430
Gross Tonnage: 181
Net Tonnage: 47
Length: 105 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
10.1.1898: Launched by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull (Yd.No.430) for Fleetwood Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as KITTY.
29.7.1898: Registered at Fleetwood (FD191), George E. J. Moody, Grimsby designated manager.
22.11.1905: While stormbound in Tobermory, at about 6.00pm two crew members, W. Robertson (23) and John Shuttleworth (20), took boat away to visit CITY of BRISTOL (FD207) anchored near by. By midnight they had not returned and the whistle was blown repeatedly; there was no response.
23.11.1905: In the morning the CITY of BRISTOL was hailed and it was discovered that nothing had been seen of the boat or the two men It was assumed that the boat had become unmanageable and driven by the gale had drifted seawards. Search parties were organised and scoured the shore of the island of Calvey and in the vicinity of Rhubha nan Gall lighthouse. With Customs Officers and police onboard, weighed and proceeded to search entrance to Loch Sunart, where two oars and a sou’wester were recovered. Assumed that both men had perished, aborted trip and set course for Fleetwood.
24.11.1905: At about 8.30pm entered Wyre Dock.
29.12.1905: Reported that body of John Shuttleworth had been recovered.
30.4.1908: Sold to Joseph Johnston & Sons Ltd, Montrose (William Douglas Johnston, Junr, designated manager).
9.5.1908: Fleetwood registry closed.
11.5.1908: Registered at Montrose (ME226).
1913: Sold to John Wright & Richard W. Mason, Fleetwood.
1913: Sold to The Brooklyn Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Richard W. Mason designated manager.
26.2.1913: Montrose registry closed.
3.3.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD179).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 73 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907
12.1916: Sold to George Frederick Sleight, Grimsby.
14.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.
18.12.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY1005). George Frederick Sleight designated managing owner,
9.5.1917: Stopped by U-boat (UC42) 25 miles ENE of St. Abb’s Head, Skipper and Chief Engineer made prisoner. Sunk by explosive charge in position 56.11.39N 01.45.00W.
11.6.1917: Grimsby registry closed.
Click to enlarge image
24/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
22/08/2017: Added an image.
07/10/2017: Updated information.