S.D/T. Faithful Star LT323 (Seasonal)
Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Official Number: 148197
Yard Number: 998
Gross Tonnage: 103
Net Tonnage: 44
Length 90.3: ft
Breadth: 19 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Engine T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Built by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
7.3.1927: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.999) for Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as FAITHFUL STAR.
9.4.1927: Completed (Frederick E. Catchpole, Lowestoft, manager) (valued at £3,900).
19.6.1927: Registered at Lowestoft (LT323).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
3.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service employed on contraband control (1-3pdr) (Hire rate £49.11.4d/month).
6.1941: Based Weymouth as armed patrol (Ty/Sk. W. G. Hitter RNR).
9.3.1946: Returned to owner.
15.10.1946: At Lowestoft landed 190 crans of herring.
11.1952: Converted to motor by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft, re-engined with 300bhp 4 stroke 3-cyl diesel by W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft.
21.11.1952: Surveyed following conversion to diesel propulsion.
14.12.1957: At night in a strong onshore wind and snow showers got into difficulties and stranded about 1/4 mile S of Orford Ness Lighthouse (Sk. George Challis). Two crew got ashore and raised alarm, other crew members made it to shore but Sk. Challis was rescued by LSA breeches buoy. Salvage arranged with Yarmouth tug RICHARD LEE BARBER (122grt/1940) but delayed due to picking up a barge which was adrift and delivering Harwich. Pushed further up the beach and damaged by heavy seas. Declared a Total loss.
1958: Lowestoft registry closed.
(Crew – Sk. George Challis; Jack Bessey, Mate; Robert Norman, 3rd Hand; Charles O’Neill, Ch Eng; Eric Burwood, 2nd Eng; Stanley Humphrey & Kenneth Womack, deckhands; Frank Webb, cook.)
Click to enlarge images