Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham
Official Number: 162956
Yard Number: 245
Gross Tonnage: 120
Net Tonnage: 53
Length: 94.3 ft
Breadth: 28.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Built: S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Note: Last steam drifter built in England
1931: Launched by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.245) for Alan Howard Watson, Lowestoft as MERBREEZE.
9.1931: Completed at a cost of £6,550. (Allan Howard Watson managing owner).
24.9.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT253).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (William Head, Lowestoft, managing agent).
3.5.1932: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, manager).
21.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.953) (Hire rate £69.3.6d/month).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Ty/Sk. W. G. A. Thompson RNR).
1.1942: Based Londonderry (Ty/Lieut. H. Wright RNVR).
11.6.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Re deployed as a minesweeping drifter.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed.
10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Transferred to Ministry of Transport.
2.1948: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, manager).
27.2.1948: Registered at Lowestoft (LT365).
27.7.1955: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, Beccles, manager).
12.10.1955: Inward to Lowestoft, when some three miles off in collision with the Middlesbrough registered steamer NORTHUMBRIAN COAST (1180grt/1935) and sustained damage to stem and bow plating. Slipped at Lowestoft for repair
25.2.1958: Sold to Charles Henry Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth.
2.7.1959: Sold to Merbreeze Ltd, Lowestoft (John George Mitchell, manager).
14.10.1959: Completed conversion to motor by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted with 6-cyl 360bhp 4 stroke oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
14.10.1959: Surveyed and re measured 122g 42n.
28.10.1959: Trials on completion of conversion to motor.
26.11.1975: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Luton (John Leggett, Lowestoft, manager).
18.12.1975: Lowestoft registry (Part I) closed “Vessel no longer fishing”. Stripped of all usable parts including main engine.
1975: Engine removed, rebuilt by L.B.S. Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted in offshore platform standby safety vessel KINGFISH.
1976: Sold to T. G. Darling, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for breaking up by East Anglian Reclamation Ltd at Nelson Wharf, Oulton Broad.
13.10.1976: Lowestoft registry (Part IV) closed “Vessel broken up”.
Click to enlarge images
05/10/2012: Page published.
22/06/2014: Picture added.
11/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
04/05/2019: Added an image.