Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S.T. Essex M193

Technical

Official Number: 121607
Yard Number: 790
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 220
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 120.7 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Smith’s Dock Co. Ltd, North Shields

History

8.3.1906: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.790) for Cornelius C. Morley, Hakin & Sidney M. Price, Milford Haven as ESSEX.
4.1906: Completed.
11.4.1906: Registered at Milford (M193). Cornelius C. Morley designated managing owner.
27.7.1906: Off Lundy conducted successful trials with new propeller designed by William Miller Walters, Liverpool (patented 866544 dated 17.9.1907).
29.12.1907: Coming up Haven (Sk.Richard Bird) ran down Guernsey schooner CAMELIA (68765)(97n/1873), master (James W. Leathlean) missing, crew picked up and landed at Milford.
30.12.1908: Body of James Leathlean recovered at Angle.
2.6.1908: At Board of Trade Inquiry at Swansea Sk. Richard Bird was severely censured for his want of care in the time taken to pick up survivors.
11.1912: Transferred to Fleetwood. Messrs Morley & Price designated managers.
12.12.1912: Working Donegal Bay grounds (Sk. P. Leary). Anchored in Culmore Bay, Co Londonderry to repair steam joints. Tested engine and sheered and grounded. Refloated on the flood and proceeded to Londonderry for further repair
4.3.1913: Sheltering in Ramsey Bay (Sk. William Rayworth), deckhand T. F. Chard (18) of Fleetwood, damaged thumb in WC door.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.142).
1914: Based Portsmouth.
2.1915: Renamed ESSEX II.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven and reverted to ESSEX (M193).
15.8.1919: Sold to Messrs William Wolfe, William Gordon Tonner & Alfred James Stevens, Milford Haven (trading as Essex Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven). William Wolfe designated managing owner.
13.4.1920: Sold to Essex Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Milford Haven. William Wolfe designated manager.
1924: Company in liquidation.
1925: Sold to A. S. de Parasulo, Spain (no port of registry recorded).
17.1.1925: Milford registry closed.
1930: (No port of registry recorded).
1930: Sold to Pesquerias Pasaitarras S.C., San Sebastian. Registered at San Sebastian as MARIA LUISA.
Post 1945 Pre1949: Sold to José Romero Nuñez, San Sebastian.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Essex M193

S.T. Essex M193
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
23/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
18/07/2020: Information updated.

S.T. Ellena FD394

Additional information courtesy of David Whiteside, Andy Hall, David Slinger, Ian Buxton, Geoff Davidson and Barry Banham.

Technical

Official Number: 141961
Yard Number: 580
Completed: 1921
Gross Tonnage: 257.46
Net Tonnage: 99.67
Length: 125.6 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: 420ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

10.1921: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.580) for Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as ELLENA.
23.11.1921: Registered at Fleetwood (FD394). Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
11.1921: Completed. First Skipper Charles A. Green.
1924: William W. Brierley designated manager.
24.2.1930: On St. Kilda grounds at about 6.00am. in response to a radio message from steam trawler Sarba (FD177) which had lost her propeller, hauled and proceeded to casualty which was some 22 miles away, Owing to darkness, heavy seas and dense fog it took five hours to close and connecting was difficult in the weather conditions.
25.2.1930: Wires parted and only by strenuous efforts over four hours was the tow reconnected and the passage resumed.
26.2.1930: The fog remained a hazard and off Maughold Head, IoM, narrowly escaped being set on the rocks.
27.2.1930: Delivered Fleetwood after a 375 mile tow which had taken 64 hours to complete.
8.2.1936: Arrived Fleetwood in tow of steam trawler KODAMA (FD36), picked up in Donegal Bay disabled with rudder problem.
1.5.1939: At Fleetwood landed a ship’s compass and binnacle taken onboard while fishing off Barra Head (Sk. John Goodman). Examined by compass adjuster, Mr McKenzie who was in no doubt that the compass came from the steam trawler BOSTONIAN ( FD41) (Sk. H. Atkinson), lost with all hands in severe weather south of Barra in January 1938.
15.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper.
12.1.1941: Renamed ZAREBA (P.No.FY.1814) (Hire rate £86.14.9d/month).
28.4.1944: Sold to Malcolm Smith Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen . Malcolm Smith designated manager.
24.11.1944: Fitted out for barrage balloon towing duties. R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen, temporary managers.
6.1945: Returned and reverted to ELLENA (FD394).
13.2.1946: Sold to Shire Trawlers Ltd (64/64), London. William A. Bennett designated manager.
9.1948: Sold to Alexander Hay (64/64), Aberdeen.
11.10.1948: Fleetwood registry closed.
14.10.1948: Registered at Aberdeen (A618). Alexander Hay designated managing owner. Operated as a liner.
24.4.1950: At Aberdeen landed 1250 8st boxes (63 tons) of halibut and 300 8st boxes of mixed fish from a twenty-one day Iceland trip (Sk. John Taylor). A world record landing of halibut.
1953: Made one trip to Greenland as a liner.
13.5.1955: Sold to Alexander Hay, George D. Taylor, John George Maurice Taylor, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners). Operating as a liner (Sk. John Taylor).
20.3.1958: Sold to Alexander Hay & John George Maurice Taylor, Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners).
27.6.1960: Arrived Lowestoft for for layup prior to conversion to motor.
1960 – 1962: Converted to motor at Lowestoft by LBS Engineering Ltd and fitted with 600bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine by A.K. Diesels Ltd, Lowestoft (Last vessel to be converted from steam to motor at Lowestoft).
12.10.1960: Sold to Alexander Hay (64/64), Aberdeen.
12.10.1960: Sold to Devotion Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen. Alexander Hay designated manager.
21.5.1962: Alterations to tonnage and other particulars. Certificate of Survey at Lowestoft dated 23.4.1962 refers – 263.40g 99.64n.
25.6.1962: Sailed Lowestoft for Aberdeen on completion of conversion and trials.
1967: Laid up at Aberdeen.
2.1968: Repossessed by White Fish Authority (WFA) in respect of loan. Offered for sale.
3.1968: Sold to John Davis and Clifford Davis, Fleetwood.
9.3.1968: Arrived Fleetwood on the evening tide.
13.3.1968: Aberdeen registry closed.
15.3.1968: Registered at Fleetwood (FD333). Bowden Ramster designated manager. Laid up at Fleetwood.
1970: Sold to Thos W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
6.2.1970: Suffered machinery problem at the Ribble bar when inward from Fleetwood and anchored 299° 5 miles from Nelson Buoy; owner onboard. In the morning with a gale warning, attended by Lytham St. Anne’s lifeboat SARAH TOWNSEND PORRITT (Cox. Harold ‘Codge’ Parkinson), decided to move on the noon tide to Lytham; connected and commenced tow. With slow progress and with nine vessels * behind including DORIC FERRY (2573grt/1962) and BARDIC FERRY (2550grt/1957) and concern they could be delayed, Preston pilot boat St. JOAN (Sk. John Eccles) ordered to assist; closed, breasted up and with lifeboat ahead, proceeded to take to anchor in the Lighthouse Hole at Lytham to await a tug to continue tow to Preston.
7.2.1970: Taken up to Preston on the am. tide by tug FRANK JAMIESON (146grt/1955) following motor vessels SOUTRA (1334grt/1958) and EMINENCE (999grt/1969); just after 1.00am. berthed in basin. On pm. tide delivered to Wards by FRANK JAMIESON; draught on arrival 6ft forward, 14ft aft. The last vessel broken up by the Preston yard before closure.
7.11.1970: Fleetwood registry closed “Vessel no longer fishing”.

The RNLI Lytham St.Anne’s Station received two cheques following service to motor trawler ELLENA, both for £20 donated by Dalby Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Bowden Ramster), one for the Station Branch and the other for the crew.

* Seven ships – OWENRO, CORIA, CRESCENCE, SPANIEL, BARBEL BOLTEN, GOODWILL MERCHANT, GERTRUD HAUSCHILDT.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Ellena FD394

S.T. Ellena FD394
Picture courtesy of The David Buckley Collection.

S.T. Ellena A618

S.T. Ellena A618
Picture (Laid up at Lowestoft) courtesy of The David Slinger Collection.

S.T. Ellena FD394 after conversion to MV

M.T. Ellena FD394
Picture courtesy ofThe David Slinger Collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

M,T. Ellena FD333

M,T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of The Phil Rogers Collection

S.T. Ellena FD333

S.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of the World Ship Soc. D.B. Cochrane collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of The Frank Kilroy – David Forshaw collection

M.T. Ellena FD333

M.T. Ellena FD333
Picture courtesy of The Frank Kilroy – David Forshaw collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
26/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
02/07/2017: Added two images.
03/07/2017: Information updated.
10/07/2017: Added another image and updated information.
19/07/2017: Updated information.
10/08/2017: Added two images.
23/11/2017: Information updated.
13/12/2018: Information updated.
11/06/2020: Information updated.
02/02/2021: Added an image.
13/05/2022: Added an image and updated information.

S.T. Electra II H661

Technical

Official Number: 118840
Yard Number: 58
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 269
Net Tonnage: 102
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 22.2 ft
Depth: 11.6
Engine: 70 NHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Speed: 10 knots

History

14.9.1904: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.58) for Francis & Thomas Ross Ltd, Hull as ELECTRA (H661).
14.11.1904: Registered at Hull (H661).
11.1904: Completed (Thomas Ross, manager).
7.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA).
8.1915: Renamed ELECTRA II (Ad.No.1743).
4.12.1915: Registered at Hull as ELECTRA II (H661). Based Dover.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Hull.
12.12.1934: Sold to Henry Elliott, Fleetwood.
1935: Sold to H. Elliott & Sons Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Elliott appointed manager).
29.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (2-Lewis Mgs (2×1)) (P.No.4.159) (Hire rate £67.5.0d/month). Based Liverpool.
21.12.1942: Sold to Aldred Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. Markham Cook, manager).
6.1943: Fitted out for boom gate duties.
2.1946: Returned and laid up in Alexandra Dock, Grimsby.
1946: Sold John R. Hepworth & Co (Hull) Ltd, Paull for stripping and breaking up.
6.11.1946: Left Grimsby in tow for Paull.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Electra H661

S.T. Electra H661
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Dorinda FD198

Additional material courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 139216
Yard Number: 277
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 105
Length: 128.8 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.6 ft
Engine: 540ihp T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow
Boiler: Dunsmuir & Jackson Ltd, Govan
Built: Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee

History
23.11.1916: Launched by Dundee Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Dundee (Yd.No.277) for The Active Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood as DORINDA.
9.2.1917: Registered at Fleetwood (FD198) (James A. Robertson, manager).
2.1917: Completed. Requisitioned from the builders for war service and fitted out for escort duties (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.3003).
18.10.1917: Re-registered at Fleetwood (FD198). Based Milford Haven.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
14.10.1932: Responded to request for assistance from JACINTA (FD235) which had struck submerged rock 8 miles off Rathlin Island, losing all blades on her propeller. Connected and commenced tow to Fleetwood.
15.10.1932: Delivered Fleetwood.
30.8.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.623) (P.No.FY.600) (Hire rate £78.15.0d/month).
1944: Sold to Malcolm Smith Ltd (64/64), Aberdeen (Malcolm Smith, manager).
10.1945: Restored and surveyed at Dumbarton. Fleetwood registry closed.
8.10.1945: Registered at Aberdeen (A602).
5.11.1945: Returned to owner.
17.4.1946: Registered at Aberdeen as LOCH LOMOND (A602) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1102/1945 dated 8.4.1946).
29.7.1946: Sold to Anglo Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
1.8.1946: Joseph Reginald Cobley appointed manager.
29.7.1946: Aberdeen registry closed.
1.8.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY310).
15.8.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank Ltd, London (A).
4.10.1946: Registered at Grimsby as Anglo (GY310) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1439/1946 dated 10.9.1946).
20.10.1949: Leslie Little appointed manager.
30.3.1950: Registered at Grimsby as DEERNESS (GY310) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1029/50 dated 24.3.1950).
6.8.1952: Charles Dobson appointed manager.
24.7.1955: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (A) to Elkington Estates Ltd, Grimsby.
9.1955: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
15.9.1955: Grimsby registry closed “… vessel sold to foreigners (Belgian subjects) for breaking up.”

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Dorinda FD198

S.T. Dorinda FD198
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
22/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
27/04/2020: Updated information.

S.T. Dewsland FD64

Technical

Official Number: 127405
Yard Number: 421
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 236
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 70bhp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Son, Selby

History

24.9.1907: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.421) for William Jenkins & Isaac J. Jenkins, Milford Haven and James Hier, Neyland as DEWSLAND.
19.11.1907: Completed.
28.11.1907: Registered at Milford (M220). William Jenkins designated managing owner.
11.12.1913: Manoeuvring in dock at Milford damaged stern, bulwarks and mizzen boom.
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service Ad.No.2664). At Devonport fitted with 1-12pdr and mine-sweep. i.a.w. Area XIV Patrol Orders dated 30.3.1915: Allocated Unit 87 – Section D based Isles of Scilly (Sk. W. H. Bevan RNR).
2.6.1915 Off Isles of Scilly, picked up ten crew members of DELTA B (O171) sunk by U34 and landed them at St. Mary’s.
16.1.1916-22.1.1916: Refit at Falmouth. Relief KING FREDERICK (Ad.No.2659.
10.1916: Allocated Unit Nos. 85, 87, 147 – Sections C, D, E, F 1st Division based Isles of Scilly ( Sk. W. H. Bevan RNR).
1919: Returned to owner.
10.4.1919: Sold to Maurice Wilkins & George Moreland, Manchester (c/o Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood, manager).
1.1921: Transferred to Aberdeen (Sam Isaacs (Aberdeen) Ltd, managers) on charter to Bookless Brothers, Aberdeen/Sheffield to operate from Hafnarfjordur, Iceland, ‘salting’.
6.1921: Returned.
15.3.1923: Sold to Gerald Kelton, Dunsfold, Surrey (William F. Goodwin, Grimsby, manager).
11.1925: Sold to John Wm. A. Potts & Lars J. Larsen, Fleetwood (trading as Ples Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager)).
6.11.1925: Milford registry closed.
9.11.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD64).
12.2.1927: In dense fog stranded in Wyre channel.
1928: Trading as Dewsland Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (William A. Stonebanks, manager).
27.10.1933: Fishing off Tiree on hauling in gale force winds trawl became entangled with propeller. After twelve hours managed reach Oban, despite a burst steam pipe.
28.10.1933: Divers cleared propeller. Sailed Oban but shortly afterwards steam pipe fractured and returned to Oban for repair.
16.11.1933: Sold to Stanley Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Rochdale. James Brierley, Rochdale designated manager.
31.3.1937: Sold to G. Rollinson & Co Ltd, Manchester.
31.3.1937: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood.
6.11.1937: Frederick Jones (50), Stortford Place, Fleetwood died in hospital at Oban (buried Fleetwood Cemetery).
31.1.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood for £6500.
28.4.1943: Typical wartime landing, Home Waters. 320 kits – hake-190, ling/coley-98, roker-11, gurnard-3, dogs-18.
13.6.1944: Sold to Hull Merchants Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull for £12000.
5.7.1944: Fleetwood registry closed.
6.7.1944: Registered at Hull (H84).
30.11.1945: Insured value £16,500; for 1946 proposed same.
24.12.1945: Registered at Hull as DERNA (H84).
24.11.1947: Sold to East African Fisheries Ltd, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanganyika Territory (Charles C. Johnston, London, agent).
29.6.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
29.06.1951: Sold to Harold G. Lewis, Mombasa, Kenya.
22.8.1951: Sold to Lamer Line Ltd. Mombasa (Harold G. Lewis, manager). Used as cargo vessel between Mombasa and Tanga.
22.7.1954: Grounded on Niule Reef outside Tanga with cargo of petrol in cans.
27.8.1954: Salved and towed into Tanga for discharge.
30.8.1954: Towed to Mombasa.
14.9.1954: Sank at moorings at Mtongwe, Mombasa. No salvage attempted and abandoned.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Dewsland FD64

S.T. Dewsland FD64
Picture courtesy of The RossallBeach Collection

S.T. Dewsland FD64 as Derna

S.T. Derna H84
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Mike Thompson Collection

S.T. Derna H84

S.T. Derna H84
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
09/09/2014: Fourth picture added.
10/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
16/04/2020: Updated history.