Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S.T. Egeria GY533

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson, Bill Blow, Birgir Þórisson, Göran Olsson and Dag Bakka Jnr

Technical

Official Number: 93116
Completed: 1887
Gross Tonnage: 92.25
Net Tonnage: 92.25
Length: 84.0 ft
Breadth: 21.3 ft
Depth: 10.3 ft
Built: William Caisley, Howdendyke
Engine: 30nhp C.4-cyl diagonal by John Holmes, Hull
Boiler: (100psi) by Hawksley, Willis & Co, Sheffield

History

1887: Completed by William Caisley, Howdendyke for John Holmes (64/64), Hull as EGERIA.
22.9.1887: Registered at Hull (H25).
22.9.1887: John Holmes designated managing owner.
22.9.1887: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George Bowman, Hull for the sum of £700 with interest at 5% (A).
16.3.1888: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London & Yorkshire Bank Ltd, London (B).
1.5.1888: Mortgage (A) discharged.
7.8.1891: Hull registry closed.
1891: Converted to steam and fitted with C.4-cyl diagonal (30nhp) by John Holmes, Hull.
1891: On completion of steam conversion re-measured 95.64g 29.63n.
7.8.1891: Re-registered at Hull (H25) on completion of conversion to steam and alteration to tonnage.
7.8.1891: John Holmes designated managing owner.
1.12.1893: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (B) to George Martin Smith (64/64), Grimsby.
1.12.1893: George Martin Smith designated managing owner.
7.12.1893: Hull registry closed.
8.12.1893: Registered at Grimsby (GY553).
18.12.1893: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Hull Banking Co Ltd, Hull (C).
1.1.1895: Mortgage transferred to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York.
24.4.1895: Mortgage (C) discharged.
16.10.1895: Sold to Arthur Richardson, Portrush, Co. Antrim.
16.10.1895: Arthur Richardson designated managing owner. Landing at Fleetwood.
5.1897: Sold to Otto Wathne, Seydisfjordur, Iceland.
3.5.1897: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Copenhagen (LBCG).
2.6.1897: Arrived Iceland from Fleetwood. Longlining from Seydisfjordur, initially with dories and some Norwegian/Faroes fishermen. The operation was not a success returning a loss of 15% in 1897.
20.2.1898: Sold to A/S. “Seydisfjords Dampfiskeri”, Copenhagen. Copenhagen registry closed. Registered at Seydisfjordur (NS39).
1902: Sold to A. Erving, Kristiansund, Norway.
1.6.1902: Icelandic registry closed. Registered at Kristiansund.
1909: Re-engined by Mjellern & Karlsen in Bergan with a C.2-cyl (36nph).
1914: Sold to A/S D/S Egeria (Edvard Mikalsen), Kristiansund.
1918: Sold to Thor Egeland, Stavanger. Kristiansund registry closed. Registered at Stavanger.
1.1.1919: Out of Trondheim for the fishing grounds off the Norwegian coast; nineteen crew. Mined near Rövarholmen and foundered with the loss of eleven crew. Stavanger registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

Egeria Papers

Egeria Papers
Courtesy of NE Lincs Archives/Bill Blow

Changelog

30/09/2013: Page published. 9 updates since then.
13/05/2016: Removed incorrect image.
31/05/2020: Updated Information.

S.T. Mary Bruce LT368

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow, Douglas Paterson, Barry Banham, Mike Thompson and Barry Johnson

Technical

Official Number: 129283
Yard Number: 196
Completed: 1910
Gross Tonnage: 207
Net Tonnage: 82
Length: 112.0 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley
Engine: 266ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull

History

25.6.1910: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.196) for Hellyers’ Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as PERICLES.
17.8.1910: Completed.
6.9.1910: Registered at Hull (H131).
6.9.1910: Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
21.4.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Charles Hellyer & Benjamin West, Hull for account current not to exceed £75,000 with interest at 41/2% (A).
20.9.1916: Mortgage (A) discharged.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
18.10.1919: Company placed in voluntary liquidation.
4.11.1919: Walter Fred Harris, Frank Orlando Hellyer & William Stooks Hellyer appointed joint liquidators.
24.11.1919: Sold by the liquidators to Hull Northern Fishing Co Ltd (64/74), Hull.
24.11.1919: William Richard Nowell appointed manager.
8.1.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial & Union Bank of England Ltd, London (B).
15.2.1924: Mortgagee re-styled National Provincial Bank Ltd, London.
1.3.1929: Mortgage (B) discharged.
17.1.1929: Frank Orlando Hellyer appointed manager.
6.3.1929: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
6.3.1929: George Altoft appointed manager.
7.3.1929: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (C).
16.12.1932: Mortgage (C) discharged.
16.12.1935: Sold to Alexander Robert Buthlay Jnr, George F. Buthlay & James Bruce Buthlay, all Aberdeen (64/64 joint owners).
27.12.1935: Hull registry closed.
30.12.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A393). Alexander Richard Buthlay Jnr designated managing owner.
11.2.1936: Registered at Aberdeen as MARY BRUCE (A393) (BoT Minute R.G.1003/1936).
11.1941: Sold to Fort Rona Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven.
17.11.1941: Aberdeen registry closed.
21.11.1941: Registered at Milford (M147). Henry John Horwood appointed manager.
23.7.1945: Sold to United Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Milford Haven for £11,000. Henry John Horwood appointed manager.
3.1948: Sold to The Shoals Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft for £8,750. David Frederick Cartwright MBE MC, Gorleston appointed manager.
25.3.1948: Milford registry closed.
27.3.1948: Registered at Lowestoft (LT368).
1949/50: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood.
1953: Sold to BISCO and allocated to C. W. Dorkin & Co Ltd, Gateshead for breaking up.
9.3.1953: Sailed Lowestoft for River Tyne.
12.3.1953: Delivered Gateshead.
7.10.1953: Lowestoft registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Changelog
28/08/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
11/06/2021: Updated information.

S.T. Diamond GY603

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 104168
Yard Number: 104
Completed: 1894
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net Tonnage: 63
Length: 101.0 ft
Breadth: 20.3 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes Ltd, Hull

History

7.5.1894: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.104) for Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss, Grimsby (32/64 joint owners); Frederick Emil Hagerup (8/64), Charles Denton Holmes (8/64), Grimsby and George Cooper (8/64), Arthur Cochrane (8/64), Beverley as DIAMOND.
29.5.1894: Registered at Grimsby (GY603).
29.5.1894: Thomas Campbell Moss designated managing owner.
29.5.1894: Vessel mortgaged 64/64) to The Hull Banking Co Ltd, Hull (A).
29.5.1894: Completed.
16.11.1894: Arrived Hull with Danish schooner ELLA of Nexo, cargo china clay, picked up derelict and leaking.
1.1.1895: Mortgage (A) transferred to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York.
2.11.1895: Mortgage (A) discharged.
9.11.1895: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
5.6.1901: Andrew Cochrane and George Cooper shares (8/64 each) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (48/64 joint owners), Grimsby.
5.6.1901: Thomas Campbell Moss continues as manager.
9.11.1901: Frederik Emil Hagerup (8/64) shares mortgaged to Arthur Henry Leslie Melville & Eustace Albert Smith, Grimsby, joint mortgagees (C).
28.2.1905: Mortgage (C) discharged.
1.7.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (D).
6.7.1908: Mortgage (B) discharged.
2.5.1911: Mortgage (D) discharged.
2.12.1914: Charles Denton Holmes shares (8/64) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (56/64 jointly), Grimsby.
22.9.1911: Frederick Emil Hagerup shares (8/64) sold to Thomas Campbell Moss & Frederick Moss (64/64 jointly), Grimsby.
18.12.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (E).
19.1.1917: Mortgage (E) discharged.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve (1-6pdr HA). Renamed DIAMOND II.
1919: Released and reverted to DIAMOND (GY603).
14.2.1921: Sold to T. C. & F. Moss Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
21.3.1921: Thomas Campbell Moss appointed manager.
8.10.1921: William Thomas Moss appointed manager.
22.12.1945: Sold to Jubilee Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), London.
1.1.1946: Ernest Thomas Milton appointed manager.
1940s-1950s: Seasonal fishing from Fleetwood 07.1952: Sold for breaking up.
26.7.1952: Grimsby registry closed “Ship being broken up”.

Changelog

15/08/2013: Page published. 2 updates since then.
17/04/2020: Information updated.

S.T. Prince de Liège O83

Wartime visitor
Additional information courtesy of Maurice Voss

Technical

Official Number: ????
Yard Number: 989
Completed: 1926
Gross Tonnage: 338
Net Tonnage: 137
Length: 138.8 ft
Breadth: 23.8 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

18.11.1925: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.989) for Pickering & Haldane’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as LORD WEIR.
28.1.1926: Registered at Hull (280).
28.1.1926: Completed (John McCann & Edward Cartwright, joint managers).
1929: Albert Turgoose & James Clark, appointed joint managers).
1938: Re measured 42,16 x 7,23 metres – 324.40Bgrt 112.64n.
7.1938: Sold to Pêcheries à Vapeur S.A., Ostend (John Bauwens, manager).
16.7.1938: Hull registry closed.
21.7.1938: Arrived at Ostend in company with LORD MOUNTBATTEN (H225 (GRAAF VAN VLAARDEREN (O92)).
27.7.1938: Registered at Ostend as PRINCE de LIÈGE (O83).
5.1940: Escaped to England with refugees.
6.1940: Transferred to Belgian Economic Mission, London. Fishing from Fleetwood.
23.9.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.172).
12.1945: Returned to owner.
9.1946: At Antwerp rebuilt by Guthrie & Hursch with new bow section 148.2 feet – 375.36Bgrt 137n
T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull.
18.9.1946: Returned to service after rebuild and Special Survey.
1951: Sailed for Hemiksem for conversion to a motor trawler.
1951: Re engined by St. Pieterswerf, Hemiksem with 4 stroke 6-cyl Carels oil engine 755bhp by Société d’Electricité et de Mécaniques, Ghent (Engine No.9663). Re measured 391.89 Bgrt 159.82n.
20.12.1951: Returned to service.
22.12.1962: Outward for Icelandic grounds. Stranded on Corn Holm Rock, Copinsay, Orkney in approx. position 58 54N 02 41.7W. Abandoned by crew and subsequently declared a Total Loss. Ostend registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Prince de Liège O83

S.T. Prince de Liège O83
Picture courtesy of The Emiel Ryck Collection

M.T. Prince De Liege O83

M.T. Prince De Liege O83
Picture courtesy of The JJ Collection

M.T. Prince de Liège O83

S.T. Prince de Liège O83
Picture courtesy of The Emiel Ryck Collection

Changelog
29/07/2013: Page published. 5 updates since then.
26/10/2015: Added 2 pictures.
24/01/2019: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Lord Darling GY116

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 136189
Yard Number: 597
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 256
Net Tonnage: 100
Length: 123.5 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 430ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

28.2.1914: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.597) for Cargill Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as PRINCE PALATINE. 5.5.1914: Registered at Hull (H95).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr HA & Hydrophone) (Ad.No.341).
1919: Returned.
12.8.1918: Sold to Joseph Robert Elijah Mordaunt, Sk. Fred William Miles, Sk. Thomas Charles Miles & Sk. Harry Newman, all of Grimsby and Sk. George Arthur Newman, Cleethorpes (64/64 joint owners).
14.8.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (A).
20.8.1918: Hull registry closed.
2.9.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1186).
2.9.1918: Joseph Robert Elijah Mordaunt designated managing owner.
30.9.1918: Mortgage (A) discharged.
7.10.1918: Sold to Louis Kaminski (32/64), Grimsby.
8.10.1918: Micklsky Isaacs (32/64), Cleethorpes.
8.10.1918: Louis Kaminski designated managing owner.
8.10.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (B).
1919: Returned.
28.3.1919: By Deed Poll, Louis Kaminski name changed to Louis Kay.
12.11.1919: Mortgage (B) discharged.
13.11.1919: Sold to Victa Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
13.11.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (C).
23.12.1919: Louis Kay appointed manager.
12.1.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) by agreed buyer, Equitable Steam Fishing Co Ltd, to Barclays Bank Ltd (D).
13.1.1920: Mortgage (C) discharged.
14.1.1920: Sold to Equitable Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
14.1.1920: Joseph Harris appointed manager.
28.2.1923: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (D) to Newport (Mon) Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Newport, Mon.
16.4.1923: William Francis Goodwin appointed manager.
16.4.1923: Grimsby registry closed. Registered at Newport, Mon (NT9) (2/1923).
11.1924: Newport, Mon registry closed.
26.11.1924: Registered office transferred to Grimsby.
26.11.1924: Registered at Grimsby (GY116).
27.11.1924: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
5.8.1925: Registered at Grimsby as LORD DARLING (GY116) (BoT Minute No.M/R.G.1138/1925 dated 4.7.1925).
12.1925: Arrived to fish in Canadian waters landing catches at Canso and Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia.
1928: Returned to Grimsby.
30.7.1928: Mortgage (E) discharged.
31.7.1928: Sold to Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Grimsby for the sum of £3,768.2.0d.
4.8.1928: John Denton Marsden appointed manager.
30.11.1928: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (F).
31.12.1929: Capital expenditure on vessel during year £113.5.11d.
29.8.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY1774) (Hire rate £68.5.4d/month). Based North Shields with M/S Group 68.
11.1941: Transferred to Examining Service.
31.3.1942: Mortgage (F) discharged.
21.4.1942: Harry Markham Cook, Fleetwood appointed manager.
23.4.1943: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd (64/64), London.
10.11.1944: Returned to owner.
4.12.1945: Sold to Aldred Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
6.12.1946: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (G).
24.1.1946: Harry Markham Cook, Louth appointed manager.
7.12.1946: Registered office transferred to Grimsby.
21.6.1948: Mortgage (G) discharged.
29.9.1948: Sold to Wharfedale Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
4.10.1948: Harry Markham Cook, Louth appointed manager.
8.11.1948: Sold to William Donald McFarlane (64/64), Dundee.
15.11.1948: Joe Croan, Newhaven, Edinburgh appointed manager.
22.2.1949: Sold to Fairfield Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Dundee.
2.3.1949: Joe Croan, Newhaven, Edinburgh appointed manager.
30.10.1950: Sold to Onward Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
8.11.1950: Frank Bellamy Robinson, Cleethorpes appointed manager.
8.12.1950: Registered at Grimsby as VIRGINIAN (GY116) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1362/50 dated 1.12.1950).
12.6.1961: Sold to H. P. Heuvelman N.V., Krimpen a/d IJssell and broken up.
20.6.1961: Grimsby registry closed “… on sale of vessel to foreigners (Dutch subjects)”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Lord Darling GY116

S.T. Lord Darling GY116
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

S.T. Virginian GY116

S.T. Virginian GY116
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
21/07/2013: Page published. 7 updates since then.
30/04/2014: Added picture.
20/05/2017: Added image and removed FMHT watermarks.
26/04/2021: Updated history.