Category Archives: Steam Trawlers

S.T. Mannofield FD366

Additional information courtesy of Colin Reed
Technical

Official Number: 121604
Yard Number: 781
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 206
Net Tonnage: 81
Length: 117.5 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

29.8.1905: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.781) for The Milford Haven Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Cardiff as St. BRIDE.
10.10.1905: Registered at Milford (M88).
10.1905: Completed (George Sheard, Milford Haven, manager).
30.10.1905: While stormbound at Milford waiting to proceed to sea (Sk. J. Kilby), ranged alongside quay and stove in 25ft of shell plating at waterline midships and 12ft on port quarter and other damage.
5.5.1906: At Dungarvan Petty Sessions, Co. Waterford, Sk. J. Kilby was fined £100 for illegal trawling within the limits of Dungarvan Bay.
15.11.1909: While hauling 250 miles WbyS from St. Ann’s Head (Sk. C. I. Wildridge), ALBATROSS (PH17) collided and struck bow and port side aft, causing damage.
28.8.1910: 12 miles off Ballycotton Light (Sk. H. Rostron), collided with CHARMOUTH (M242) while approaching St. CLEAR (M205) to transfer engine oil.
19.4.1911: In heavy weather, 120 miles WbyN of Smalls’ Light (Sk.W. E. J. Smith), lost boat and sustained other damage.
2.3.1912: Last landing at Milford.
3.1912: Sold to Aspeslagh & Zonnekeyn, Ostend (Henry P. Aspeslagh, manager).
16.3.1912: Milford registry closed.
17.3.1912: Registered at Ostend as NIXE (O142).
18.3.1912: Arrived Ostend in company with NAIADE (O144)(ex St. CLEAR (M.205)). To be used for fishing off Iceland, Morocco and African coast.
10.1915: Sold to Patrick Fannon, Aberdeen.
11.10.1915: Ostend registry closed.
21.10.1915: Registered at Aberdeen as MANNOFIELD (A526).
8.12.1915: Sold to Patrick Fannon & John Ellis, Aberdeen.
25.2.1916: Sold to Armitage’s Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull (George T. Armitage, manager).
2.3.1917: At Fleetwood. Fitted with 1-12pd H.A. Mk IV gun; complement increased by two gunners.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
25.07.1918: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds (Sk. B. Hume, Blackpool) in company with J. BAELS-MAURICX (FD362) (Sk. George Cooke), senior ship and NETTLE (GW11).
7.8.1918: Around noon, from a position off Vestmannaeyjar, streamed log and in company set course for home.
9.8.1918: At about 2.30pm. when some 63 miles NW of St. Kilda, sighted a submarine on the surface, which closed and when about 4,500yds away opened fire the shells falling ahead, either side and astern. Sk. George Cook ordered the NETTLE to keep clear and brought both trawlers round so that the guns could bear. Laying broadside the submarine brought all three of her guns to bear on the trawlers and again opened fire which was returned. Control of the trawlers’ guns was exercised from the bridge roof by the skippers and from men placed in the rigging of the main mast.

After about an hour a shell pierced the bulwarks, the deck, boiler casing and the lifeboats of the J. BAELS-MAURICX and shrapnel wounding J. T. Boyaton, Ch Eng. in the head. About two hours into the battle, a shell exploded above the MANNOFIELD and shrapnel hit Sk. Hume on the head, although badly wounded and bleeding, he bandaged the wound and carried on. A few minutes later a shell burst about a foot above the taffrail and shrapnel fell all around the gun severely wounding the MANNOFIELD second gunner. Twice more the submarine ran in towards the trawlers turning broadside to fire and the J. BAELS-MAURICX was hit on the starboard side, the shell piercing the bulwark, deck, boiler casing, lifeboats and shrapnel wounding J. T. Boyaton, Ch Eng. in the head.

A little while later a shell struck the J. BAELS-MAURICX on the port side, shrapnel went through the wheelhouse, breaking the windows, damaging the funnel and wounding the gunner in the leg. About half an hour before the submarine’s final approach a shell pierced the shell plating close to the rudder and the ship started to take in water.
Arrangements were made to transfer the crew to the J. BAELS-MAURICX but examination showed that although the cabin was flooded the vessel had stabilised. On the submarine’s third approach two rounds were fired by each trawler which were considered hits, resulting in the submarine breaking off the engagement. In total 47 rounds fired, five rounds remaining after the 31/2 hour engagement. Despite the damage, it was decided to proceed at best speed to Castlebay, Barra to seek medical attention and assess the situation.

10.8.1918: At Castlebay, the doctor had tended the wounded and after discussion with the other skippers and bearing in mind having already steamed 130 miles in a fresh breeze, decided to sail for Fleetwood, a distance of about 250 miles, keeping inside the islands; sailed for Fleetwood at 9.30pm.
12.8.1918: At 9.00am. passed Lune Buoy and came to anchor, proceeded to Wyre Dock on the afternoon tide and reported incident to Lieut. James A. Robertson OBE RNVR, Port Fishery Commander. On survey found found more shell plating damage and rivets sprung.
5.9.1918: At the Wyre Dock Cafe a a luncheon was held presided over by Lieut. Robertson in his role as president of the Fleetwood Fishing Vessel Owners’ Association. This was followed by an address and presentation by Cdr Abbott RN of a gold watch and gold albert to each skipper and silver watches, all suitably inscribed, to all crew members of the three trawlers. *
1919: Released.
1.1920: Sold to Thomas H. Smith, Fleetwood.
19.1.1920: Aberdeen registry closed.
20.1.1920: Registered at Fleetwood (FD366).
11.2.1920: Sold to John Gallen, Donegal, Co. Donegal.
12.4.1920: Sold to Irish Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Killybegs, Co. Donegal. William J. Malloy designated manager.
24.10.1921: Sold to William McCabe, Dublin.
4.5.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
5.1923: Registered at Dublin (D215). William McCabe designated managing owner.
1926: Sold to Trawlers (Ireland) Ltd, Dublin. Patrick Fannon designated manager.
1927: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice & Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin. Patrick Fannon designated manager.
1938: Sold for breaking up. Dublin registry closed.

* Due to the commendation submitted to The Admiralty by Lieut. Robertson and endorsed by the Port Commander, Cdr. C. W. Muir RN, The Admiralty awarded Sk. Cooke and Sk. Hume the DSC and the gunners from both ships the DSM.

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
01/06/2018: Significant information update.
14/06/2018: Significant information update.
05/06/2021: Updated information.

S.T. Manda FD178

Technical

Official Number: 109543
Yard Number: 229
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 150
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 100.6 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: T.3-cyl by Ross & Duncan, Glasgow

History

1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.229) for Orient Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby as PLATO.
5.6.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY726).
6.1898: Completed (Frank Barrett, manager).
11.2.1911: Sold to George Sutherland Patterson (salmon factor) & John Watson (shipwright), Montrose (George S. Patterson managing owner).
24. 4.1911: Sold to to Norway.
9.9.1912: Sold to George Sutherland Patterson (salmon factor) & John Watson (shipwright), Montrose (George S. Patterson managing owner).
3.5.1912: Registered at Aberdeen as MANDA (A468).
20.1.1913: Sold to George Sutherland Patterson, Montrose.
2?.1.1913: Sold to Clevedon Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Walter Morley, manager).
27.1.1913: Aberdeen registry closed.
28.1.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD178).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 58.11 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
27.7.1914: At Fleetwood, Skipper reported that when he called at Killybegs, Co. Donegal for medical assistance for a crewman, Customs Officers searched the vessel for rifles and ammunition.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
6.7.1917: Sold to Grant & Baker Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Arthur Grant, manager).
10.8.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.
14.8.1917: Registered at Grimsby (GY1093).
10.1918: Released.
23.12.1918: Posted missing; crew of ten lost.
10.4.1919: Grimsby registry closed “Vessel lost”.

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 4 updates since then.
04/06/2021: Updated history.

S.T. Malaga GY393

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 146901
Yard Number: 59
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 271
Net Tonnage: 122.76
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Built: Dominion Shipbuilding Co Ltd (Thor Iron Works), Toronto
Engine: 370ihp T.3-cyl by National Shipbuilding Co, Goderich, Ontario
Boiler: John Inglis & Sons, Ontario

History

1.1917: Ordered by The Admiralty (paid for and built under direction of RCN) (Canadian “Castle”- “T.R.” class) from Collingwood Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ontario (Yd.No.59) and subcontracted to Dominion Shipbuilding Co Ltd (Thor Iron Works), Toronto.
15.6.1918: Completed as TR.13 (1-12pdr).
8.1919: Paid off and laid up.
1920: Accepted offer of Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd, Inverness (Captain Donald John Munro CMG RN as agent) to bring drifters with trawlers as escorts to UK for lay-up in Muirtown Basin, Caledonian Canal, Inverness prior to sale and possible refit for classification as steam trawlers (The Rose Street Foundry & Engineering Co Ltd letter dated 12 April 1920).
1921: Brought over at The Admiralty’s expense.
1.1926: Still laid up.
2.1926: Rejected offer for all remaining trawlers at £2,000 each (B. Allenby, Aberdeen letter dated 10 Feb 1926).
4.9.1926: Sold “as is” to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
4.9.1926: Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager.
22.9.1926: Registered at Grimsby as MALAGA (GY393); fishing out of Fleetwood.
16.10.1926: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Midland Bank Ltd, London (A).
6.2.1928: Registered office transferred to Fleetwood.
25.4.1928: Alteration of particulars of IHP (500ihp). Certificate of Survey at Liverpool dated 18.10.1927.
24.6.1929: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.12.1929: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland/Butt of Lewis grounds.
27.12.1929: Berthed at Stornoway with forecastle and fish room flooded having struck submerged rocks off Butt of Lewis.
17.1.1933: Stood by SAN SEBASTIAN (FD126) stranded near White Beach Point, NE side of Galway Bay. Connected and at 11.3 am. refloated and towed to anchorage to await tide to Galway.
5/6/7.1933: Chartered by Italian Government to provide support for a trans Atlantic flight involving 20 to 30 aeroplanes (Sk. Geoff Barcock).
9.5.1933: Sailed Fleetwood for NW Atlantic.
19.5.1933: Arrived St. John’s, Newfoundland.
8.10.1935: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds (Sk. George A. Novo DSC); twelve crew.
17.10.1935: Spoke with trawler SAN SEBASTIAN (FD126); last communication.
18.10.1935: In severe storm conditions, missing off Portrush, Co. Antrim; no survivors *.
27.10.1935: Posted missing.
20.12.1935: Grimsby registry closed “ Vessel missing since 18th October 1935 and presumed lost with all hands”.

(* Lost – Sk.George Albert Novo DSC; George Albert Novo Jnr, Mate; Richard Blundell, Bosun; Walker Jackson, Ch. Eng; Edward Gove, 2nd Eng; George Nelson, Arthur Perry, Christopher Blair, deckhands; Daniel Logue and John Burke, firemen; William Ellis, cook; James Turner, boy;)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Malaga GY393

S.T. Malaga GY393
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
27/04/2014: Information updated.
02/05/2014: Information updated.
08/01/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
19/10/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Majestic GY682 (2)

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 104184
Yard Number: 115
Completed: 1894
Gross Tonnage: 159
Net Tonnage: 69
Length: 102.5 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.0 ft
Engine: 320ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Earle’s Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley

History

21.8.1894: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.115) for Robert Walter Windeatt (32/64), William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten (32/64 jointly) all Grimsby as MAJESTIC.
12.9.1894: Registered at Grimsby (GY682).
19.9.1894: Completed.
20.9.1894: Robert Walter Windeatt shares (32/64) mortgaged to William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten (32/64 jointly) for the sum of £2100 with interest at 5% (A). 20.9.1894: William Somerville Letten appointed manager.
19.1.1898: Mortgage (A) discharged.
19.1.1898: William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten shares (32/64 jointly) sold to Robert Walter Windeatt (64/64), Grimsby.
19.1.1898: Robert Walter Windeatt appointed manager.
19.1.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten,Grimsby for the sum of £2877 with interest at 5% (B).
22.2.1898: Sold to Atlantic Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
2.3.1898: Mortgage (B) discharged.
12.3.1898: Robert Walter Windeatt appointed manager.
2.4.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Company Ltd, Lincoln (C).
4.5.1898: Mortgage (C) discharged.
30.4.1898: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (D).
24.12.1993: Mortgage (D) discharged.
31.12.1903: Sold to The Grimsby Northern Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64) Grimsby.
6.1.1904: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (E).
9.1.1904: John William Hobbs appointed manager.
1.8.1905: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Humber Engineering Co Ltd, Grimsby (F).
29.1.1906: Mortgage (E) discharged.
30.1.1906: Mortgage (F) discharged.
30.1.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (G).
8.2.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Humber Engineering Co Ltd, Grimsby (H).
25.3.1908: Mortgage (H) discharged.
6.4.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Humber Engineering Co Ltd, Grimsby for the sum of £500 with interest at 5% (I).
7.4.1908: Mortgage (I) transferred to James Codling, Grimsby.
8.4.1908: Mortgage (I) transferred to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln.
9.4.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Humber Engineering Co Ltd, Grimsby (J).
27.6.1908: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (G) to William Hudson (64/64), Grimsby. William Hudson designated managing owner.
29.6.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Lincoln & Lindsey Banking Co Ltd, Lincoln (K). Fishing out of Fleetwood.
23.10.1911: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Alick Black, Grimsby (L).
15.4.1915: Sold to Reginald White (64/64), Grimsby.
17.4.1915: Mortgage (L) discharged.
17.4.1915: Alick Black appointed manager.
28.4.1915: Mortgage (K) discharged.
14.6.1916: Sold to George William White & William Willows (64/64 jointly), Grimsby.
15.6.1916: Alick Black appointed manager.
2.12.1916: Sold to Charles Dobson (64/64), Healing. Charles Dobson designated managing owner.
7.12.1916: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (M).
10.1.1917: Stranded in Robin Hood’s Bay, Yorkshire. Total loss.
5.3.1917: Grimsby registry closed “… total wreck”.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Majestic GY682

S.T. Majestic GY682
Picture courtesy of The Steve Farrow Collection

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
05/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
03/06/2021: Updated history.

S.T. Magnolia FD37 (1)

Technical

Official Number: 108432
Yard Number: 198
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 184
Net Tonnage: 73
Length: 111 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen, 1898
Engine: T.3-cyl by Whyte & Mair, Dundee

History

17.9.1898: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.198) for Cornelius C. Morley & William G. D. Goff, Waterford, Co Waterford as MAGNOLIA.
10.1898: Completed (Cornelius C. Morley, manager).
23.11.1898: Registered at Milford (M146).
27.3.1901: While about 50 miles N of Mine Head Light (Sk. Samuel R. Longthorpe), struck on on starboard quarter by steamer REGINALD on course for Ballycotton Light.
9.4.1901: At Tralee Petty Sessions, Co. Kerry, Sk. Samuel Longthorpe was fined £5 with £10 costs for illegal trawling within the limits of Ballinspellige Bay, Co. Kerry.
9.3.1903: Sold to Southern Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Waterford, Co. Waterford (Cornelius C. Morley, Hakin, manager).
24.12.1903: While trawling 12 miles WNW of Cape Prior (Sk. M. Kingston), in collision with French steam trawler (B2672) which caused slight damage to starboard bow .
13.2.1906: Off the Blaskets (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), in very heavy weather sustained damage and lost boat.
15.12.1906: When SSW of the Longships (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), at 7.30 p.m. spoke with steamer IDA ZSCHIMMER (362grt/?)of Rostock disabled.
16.12.1906: At 2.00 a.m. Master requested standby until daylight and tow to Falmouth. Connected and with PEBGUIN (PH178) delivered Falmouth at 8.00 p.m.
9.1909: New boiler fitted.
9.10.1909: When 63 miles Wby N1N from St. Ann’s Head (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), James Bennett (26), fourth hand fell overboard and drowned.
29.12.1909: When towing 40 miles WNW from the Smalls at about 7.00 p.m. found EMERALD (M37) disabled with boiler trouble. Connected and commenced tow to Milford.
30.12.1909: At about 6.00 a.m. delivered Milford.
7.1.1915: Arrived Milford with motor vessel ANHOLT, picked up disabled off St. Ann’s Head.
7.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.790). Based Dover.
11/12.1917: At Messrs Fletcher, Son & Fearnall Ltd, Union Dry Dock, Limehouse, boiler and steam line repairs/renewal.
8.1915: Renamed MAGNOLIA III. Based Portland.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven. Reverted to MAGNOLIA (M146).
10.7.1919: Sold to John McR. Knight, Hakin; John Young, Little Haven & Francis J. Smith, Milford Haven (John McR. Knight, Hakin, manager).
10.1919: Sold to Abraham Moore, Scarborough (managing owner).
16.10.1919: Milford registry closed.
10.1919: Registered at Scarborough (SH160).
1920: Sold to Stepney Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough (Abraham Moore, manager).
1922: Sold to Co-operative Fishing Society Ltd, Scarborough (Christopher Naylor, manager).
1923: Charles A. Oxley appointed manager.
1925: Sold to P. McGreery, (Rowland Morris, Fleetwood, manager).
1925: Sold to Magnolia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Arthur M. Goldsmith, Manchester) (Roland Morris, manager).
5.1925: Scarborough registry closed.
19.5.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD37).
1927: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Milford Haven.
25.6.1928: Fishing 20 miles off Fastnet Light (Sk. W. Perry) at about 10.30 p.m. propeller shaft fractured and taking water aft. Taken in tow by AMROTH CASTLE (SA8) for Berehaven (Castletownbere), Co. Cork.
26.6.1928: At about 2.30 a.m. foundered 14 miles SE of Fastnet Rock. Crew taken onboard AMROTH CASTLE and landed at Berehaven.
11.10.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T Magnolia FD37

S.T Magnolia FD37
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
26/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.
19/01/2019: Image added.
21/05/2021: Updated history.