Tag Archives: Boston DSF

S.T. Auk H755

Technical

Official Number: 118762
Yard Number: 54
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 168.32
Net Tonnage: 45.38
Length: 110.0 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.1 ft
Built: Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co, Hull

History

9.7.1903: Launched by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co Ltd, Goole (Yd.No.54) for Kelsall Brothers & Beeching Ltd (64/64), Hull as AUK.
21.8.1903: Registered at Hull (H755).
8.1903: Completed (George Beeching, Hull & John E. A. Kelsall, London, managers).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 63.62net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.422).
3.1917: Fitted out to “Q” ship under names BEN NEVIS, CLAYMORE, GIRDLER, GLEN AFRIC, HOPE, LORNE, St GOTHARD and SPIKA.
30.3.1918: Reverted to minesweeping role and renamed ANTIC.
11.1918: Returned to owner at Hull and reverted to AUK (H755).
7.6.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank Ltd, London (A). John Slater designated manager.
6.3.1923: Mortgagee re-styled as Westminster Bank Ltd, London.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to William Augustus Hayward, Eastbourne.
14.10.1927: Mortgage (A) transferred to Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd, London.
22.10.1928: Robert Burton appointed manager.
16.9.1932: Charles Hugh Emerson appointed manager.
10.1932: Mercantile Marine Finance Corporation Ltd in liquidation.
1.11.1932: Mortgage (A) transferred to Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Chelsea and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees).
23.1.1936: Mortgage (A) discharged.
11.2.1936: Sold to Brixham Trawlers Ltd, Brixham.
14.2.1936: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) for £750 with interest at 5% with Harold Frank Hayward, London; Maud Florence Katherine Rogers, Corfe Castle and Ernest Norton, London (joint mortgagees)(B). Ralph S. Dugdall appointed manager.
12.1937: Transferred to Fleetwood when Brixham Trawlers Ltd moved to the port.
9.12.1937: Sailed Brixham for Fleetwood in company with PINTAIL (H982).
14.12.1937: First landing at Fleetwood 8 boxes.
27.12.1937: Second landing at Fleetwood, 118 boxes grossed £250.
2.12.1938: Brixham Trawlers Ltd registered office transferred to Fleetwood. Ralph S. Dugdall designated manager.
4.4.1939: After attempting to get medical help for Sk. George Bradley suffering from double pneumonia at Llandudno and foiled by heavy seas, proceeded at full speed for Fleetwood so that he could be taken to hospital.
30.4.1943: Typical wartime landing. 110 kits – hake-32, cod/codling-17, haddock-6, whiting-3, flats-4, ling/coley-38, roker-7, gurnard-3.
19.12.1945: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds.
31.12.1945: At Tobermory, deck hand Bernard Brooks (17) died in the fish room when a block of ice, approx 2 tons, fell on him.
1.1.1946: Called Oban to land body before sailing for Fleetwood.
20.4.1953: Mortgage (C) discharged.
26.6.1958: Gordon Cranford Dugdall appointed manager.
1.8.1959: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood.
8.1.1960: Sir Fred Parkes, Blackpool appointed manager (Arthur J. Lewis, manager).
31.3.1960: Sold for breaking up.
15.8.1960: Hull registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Auk H755

S.T. Auk H755
Picture from the Internet

S.T. Auk H755

S.T. Auk H755
Picture courtesy of The Osta Collection

Changelog
15/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
15/01/2016: Information updated.
09/02/2017: Removed disputed image.
21/07/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

Technical

Official Number: 180333
Yard Number: 789
Completed: 1948
Gross Tonnage: 366
Net Tonnage: 137
Length: 136.9 ft
Breadth: 26.1 ft
Depth: 13.3 ft
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 600ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull Fitted for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F
Speed: 10.9 knots

History

1.11.1947: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.789) for The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood as MARGARET WICKS.
26.1.1948: Completed registered at Fleetwood (FD265).
16.2.1948: Landed maiden (Sk. W. Lane), grossed £3940 from 1087 boxes.
1.12.1953: In response to broadcast steamed to assist VELIA (FD116) in search for survivors from HILDINA (H222) which had capsized in approximate position 59.48N 5.14W, 50 miles N by W1/2W of Sule Skerry having come fast and broached. At 10. 16 am.VELIA proceeded to Stornoway with ten survivors. In deteriorating weather conditions continued search in company with MONIMIA (FD266) until 1.37 pm. but no further survivors found although wreckage was sighted.
6.1956: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
7.7.1956: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (Sir Fred Parkes, manager).
1958: New boiler fitted.
12.9.1962: On Icelandic grounds arrested for alleged illegal fishing.
13.9.1962: Court at Reykjavik fined Sk. Mecklenburgh £2160 and confiscated nets and catch (£1350).
7.2.1963: Transferred to Aberdeen Near Water Trawlers Ltd, Aberdeen (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
24.3.1963: On slip at Tórshavn but not hauled out, possible fouled propeller.
13.5.1963: Returned to Fleetwood (Arthur J. Lewis, manager).
7.12.1963: Sailed Fleetwood for fishing grounds (Sk. Harry Chantler). Took bunkers in Belfast.
8.12.1963: With Mate in charge of watch, at 0225 stranded on rocks Mull of Oa, Islay; fifteen crew rescued by breeches buoy. Islay lifeboat and HMS HAMPSHIRE stood by.
15.12.1963: Refloated by salvage and mooring vessel RFA DISPENSER (775grt/1943) and towed to Port Ellen Bay. Subsequently towed to Ardrossan for survey.
1.1964: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (Arthur J. Lewis, manager).
2.1964: Declared a CTL.
2.1964: Sold to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd, Faslane for breaking up.
12.2.1964: Sailed Ardrossan under tow for Faslane.
13.2.1964: Delivered Faslane. Fleetwood registry closed. DTI held preliminary inquiry into the loss, but no formal inquiry was ever held.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265
Picture courtesy of Mark Stopper

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265
Picture courtesy of Alan Hirst

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265
Picture courtesy of Peter Hearn

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265
Being slipped at Tórshavn.
Picture courtesy of Finn Bjørn Guttensen

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Margaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Magaret Wicks FD265

S.T. Magaret Wicks FD265
Picture courtesy of Fred Baker

Changelog
12/01/2009: Page published. 9 updates since then.
11/12/2015: Picture added.

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

Technical

Official Number: 163938
Yard Number: 592
Completed: 1934
Gross Tonnage: 390
Net Tonnage: 149
Length: 151.9 ft
Breadth: 25.6 ft
Depth: 13.6 ft
Built: Cook Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 117nhp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull
Speed: 11.6 knots

History

31.7.1934: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell Ltd, Beverley (Yd.No.592) for Jutland Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd, Hull as LADY MADELEINE.
25.8.1934: Registered at Hull (H85).
30.8.1934: Completed (Edward Cargill, manager).
27.1.1939: Sold to The Admiralty (£18,333).
27.2.1939: Hull registry closed. Fitted out as a “Gem” class anti-submarine trawler. Renamed HMS MOONSTONE (1-4”, AA weapons, DC)
(P.No.T.90).
19.6.1940: On patrol in the Red Sea (Bosun William Moorman), captured the Italian submarine GALILEO GALILEI; towed to Aden by HMS KANDAHAR
(P.No.F28). After repair submarine was commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS EUROPA.
1946: Laid up at Milford Haven on Disposal List (SORF, Pembroke Dock).
4.1946: Sold to Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Capt. E. D. W. Lawford DSO, manager).
1946-47: Restored at Barrow.
1.1947: Converted at Barrow-in-Furness for burning oil fuel, F.P. above 150° F.
1.1947: Registered at London as RED LANCER (LO442).
7.1963: Company taken over by Boston Deep Sea Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood.
17.1.1964: Iago Steam Trawler Co Ltd office closed.
1.1964: Sold to Lacmots Ltd, Glasson Dock for breaking up.
27.1.1964: Delivered Glasson Dock.
1964: London registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

HMT Moonstone

HMT Moonstone
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

Galileo Galilei

Galileo Galilei
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

Gallileo Galilei

HMS Kandahar towing Gallileo Galilei
Picture courtesy of The Imperial War Museum

S.T. Red-Lancer LO442

S.T. Red-Lancer LO442
Picture courtesy of Stephen Myerscough

S.T. Red Lancer LO442 inboard of Red Rose

S.T. Red Lancer LO442 inboard of Red Rose.
Picture courtesy of Harold Beswick, 1952.

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

S.T. Red Lancer LO442
Pre-radar. Picture courtesy of Phillip Dell

S.T. Red Lancer LO442

S.T. Red Lancer LO442
Picture courtesy of the JJ collection

Changelog
10/01/2009: Page published. 7 updates since then.
10/04/2015: Three pictures added.
20/03/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
28/09/2019: Updated information and added an image.

S.T. Rochester LT153

Technical

Official Number: 109529
Yard Number: 174
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 165
Net Tonnage: 51
Length: 104.2 ft
Breadth: 21 ft
Depth: 10.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Muir & Houston, Glasgow
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan

History

12.3.1898: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.174) for Hagerup, Doughty & Co Ltd, Grimsby as ROCHESTER.
4.1898: Completed (Fred E. Hagerup, manager).
7.5.1898: Registered at Grimsby (GY671).
4.4.1906: Transferred to Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co (Grimsby) Ltd, Grimsby (John D. Marsden, manager) on the formation of the company.
11.1913: New boiler fitted.
10.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.642). Based Kirkwall.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
21.10.1920: Transferred to Lowestoft.
8.1.1925: Grimsby registry closed.
9.1.1925: Registered at Lowestoft (LT153).
9.1927: Owners restyled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D Marsden, Bart, manager).
1941: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1944: Sold to Eton Fishing Co Ltd, Hull (George Gillard, manager). Registered at Hull (H59).
27.7.1944: Mined 27 miles ENE of Withernsea Lighthouse whilst steaming home (Sk.Arthur E. Ward); eleven crew lost*, one man picked up+. Approx imate position of wreck 53°54N/42°30E.

(Lost* – Sk.Arthur E. Ward (38); John Lilley (58) 2nd Hand; Henry Laverick, 3rd Hand; Edward Kilkenny (55), Bosun; Robert W. Brown (38), Ch Eng.; Charles W. Smith (51), 2nd Eng.; William Conroy (33) & Edwin A Whifield (26), spare hands; Frederick W. Swales (35) & William Cowan (50), trimmers and James R. Middlemiss (53), cook).

(Saved+ – Frank East)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Rochester LT153

S.T. Rochester LT153
Picture courtesy of The Cor Bal Collection

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.
08/04/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.

S.T. River Ythan M51

Technical

Official Number: 118159
Yard Number: 388
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 161
Net Tonnage: 61
Length: 112.2 ft
Breadth: 21.1 ft
Depth: 11.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

3.7.1905: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.388) for Thomas Devlin, Jnr, Trinity, Edinburgh (managing owner) as CHAMBERLAIN.
18.7.1905: Registered at Granton (GN19).
7.1905: Completed.
1910: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin, Trinity, Edinburgh (managing owner).
3.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.3336). Based Larne.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Granton.
17.6.1919: Sold to John Inglis, Peebles (Thomas L. Devlin & Robert D. Devlin, managers).
12.10.1920: Stranded on rocks N of St. Abbs Head. Later refloated.
1923: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Robert D. Devlin, Leith (managing owners).
1929: Sold to Thomas L. Devlin & Son, Granton (Robert Devlin, manager).
5.2.1930: Sold to Adam Bros. Ltd, London (Thomas L. Adams, Aberdeen, manager).
9.6.1931: When some 50 miles off Aberdeen, in collision with drifter REPLENISH (BF530) which subsequently foundered. Crew picked up and landed at Aberdeen.
1932: Sold to Alexander King & Benjamin Allenby, Aberdeen (Alexander King, managing owner).
3.1932: Granton registry closed.
31.3.1932: Registered at Aberdeen (A188).
22.11.1932: Registered at Aberdeen as RIVER YTHAN (A188).
12.1939: Sold to John C. Llewellin, Hakin; Joseph L. Yolland, Milford Haven; John Yolland Jnr, Fleetwood & Thomas S. Yolland, Swansea (John C. Llewellin, Hakin, manager).
7.12.1939: Aberdeen registry closed.
15.12.1939: Registered at Milford (M51).
1940: On requisition list for war service but not taken up.
12.8.1940: Fishing the Small’s ground (Sk. W. Davies) in company with KERNEVAL (M62) (Sk. J. Cheyney) and JASMINE (M90) (Sk. Walter Perry) damaged by German aircraft attack 6 miles NW of Smalls Lighthouse. Injured *.
9.3.1941: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
26.10.1944: Sold to Loyal Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (Albert W. Butt, manager).
15.12.1944: Missing since leaving Grimsby. Twelve crew lost.
9.3.1945: Milford registry closed.

(* Injured – Sk. Walter Perry and Bosun Fred McKay – ERMINE. Ch. Eng. George Turrell – KERNEVAL )

(Lost – Sk. E. A. Bray, A. E. Bacon, A. J. Bennett, H. Brightmore, F. Bullock, J. G. Foster, W. Gfug, C. F. Graves, H. L. Hunter, A. E. Miles, G. A. Smith, F. W. Sullivan.)

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 5 updates since then.