Picture and documents courtesy of Bob Dawson
Official Number: 127573
Yard Number: 401
Gross Tonnage: 287
Net Tonnage: 111
Length: 130.3 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields, 1909
3.2.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.401) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood as SULBY.
9.3.1909: Registered at Fleetwood (FD87).
3.1909: Completed (Richard C. Ward & John N. Ward, joint managers).
1910: John N. Ward appointed manager.
10.2.1912: Stranded 3 miles N of Ramsey (Sk. Fairclough); ten crew. Refloated and returned to service.
1912: Magnus B. J. Wedum appointed manager.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.131).
1919: Returned to owner.
13.3.1926: Sold to George Hindle, Wilpshire, Lancs (Joseph A. Taylor, Albert V. Thompson & Harold Taylor joint managers).
16.2.1931: Sold to Islay Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Melling, manager).
10.3.1931: Sold to Cape Fisheries Ltd, London (Albert V. Thompson, Fleetwood, manager).
5.7.1932: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood & Andrew Wilson, Buckie (Alexander Keay managing owner).
18.3.1933: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood (managing owner).
25.4.1933: Homeward from West of Scotland grounds, stranded at Strongarve, 4 miles N of Mull of Kintyre. Glasgow steamer LOCHIEL (318g/1906) and Southend lifeboat standing by. At 3.00 pm. refloated and after checks, proceeded to Fleetwood.
21.11.1939: On fishing grounds 35 miles NW of Rathlin Island (Sk. Clarence H. Hudson), eleven crew (in company with CUIRASS (GY436) and William HUMPHRIES (LO533)). At 8.00 a.m. stopped by by U-boat (U.33) with warning shot, crew abandoned in two boats, but shelled while lowering port boat. Sunk by gunfire, five rounds from deck gun, in approx position 55.27N – 08.01W. In gale force winds, boat with Skipper and four crew never seen again.
23.11.1939: After 381/2 hours in open boat (H. Blackburn, bosun) made a landfall at Tobermory and picked up by Tobermory lifeboat.
28.11.1939: Fleetwood registry closed “Sunk by German Submarine”.
(Survivors – H. Blackburn, Bosun; J. Geddes; H.G. Hay; A. Lewis; J. Threlfall, S. Melhuish and F. Brunt.
Lost presumed drowned – Sk.Clarence H. Hudson; J. Dawson, Mate; James Wood; R. A. Fisher and R. J. Randles)
14/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.