Tag Archives: Magnolia SFC

S.T. Marion (3) FD39


Official Number: 97550
Yard Number: 168
Completed: 1891
Gross Tonnage: 128
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 97.3 ft
Breadth: 19.3 ft
Depth: 10.6 ft
Engine: C.2-cyl by Baird & Barnsley, North Shields
Built: J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields


9.10.1891: Launched by J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields (Yd.No.168) for James J. Usher, Sunderland (managing owner) as MARION.
12.1891: Completed.
12.1891: Registered at Sunderland (SD??).
1895: Sold to The Dundee Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Dundee (William High, manager). Sunderland registry closed. Registered at Dundee (DE14).
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 119g 50n under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
1916: Sold to William High, Dundee (managing owner).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve. Renamed MARION II.
1919: Released and reverted to MARION (DE14).
1925: Sold to P. McGreery, ?? (Rowland Morris, Fleetwood, manager).
1925: Sold to Magnolia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Rowland Morris, manager).
5.1925: Dundee registry closed.
19.5.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD39) (Originally entered on register as FD38).
1928: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
10.12.1928: Fleetwood registry closed “Ship broken up”.

27/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.

S.T. Magnolia FD37 (1)


Official Number: 108432
Yard Number: 198
Completed: 1898
Gross Tonnage: 184
Net Tonnage: 73
Length: 111 ft
Breadth: 20.8 ft
Depth: 11.3 ft
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen, 1898
Engine: T.3-cyl by Whyte & Mair, Dundee


17.9.1898: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.198) for Cornelius C. Morley & William G. D. Goff, Waterford, Co Waterford as MAGNOLIA.
10.1898: Completed (Cornelius C. Morley, manager).
23.11.1898: Registered at Milford (M146).
27.3.1901: While about 50 miles N of Mine Head Light (Sk. Samuel R. Longthorpe), struck on on starboard quarter by steamer REGINALD on course for Ballycotton Light.
9.4.1901: At Tralee Petty Sessions, Co. Kerry, Sk. Samuel Longthorpe was fined £5 with £10 costs for illegal trawling within the limits of Ballinspellige Bay, Co. Kerry.
9.3.1903: Sold to Southern Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Waterford, Co. Waterford (Cornelius C. Morley, Hakin, manager).
24.12.1903: While trawling 12 miles WNW of Cape Prior (Sk. M. Kingston), in collision with French steam trawler (B2672) which caused slight damage to starboard bow .
13.2.1906: Off the Blaskets (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), in very heavy weather sustained damage and lost boat.
15.12.1906: When SSW of the Longships (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), at 7.30 p.m. spoke with steamer IDA ZSCHIMMER (362grt/?)of Rostock disabled.
16.12.1906: At 2.00 a.m. Master requested standby until daylight and tow to Falmouth. Connected and with PEBGUIN (PH178) delivered Falmouth at 8.00 p.m.
9.1909: New boiler fitted.
9.10.1909: When 63 miles Wby N1N from St. Ann’s Head (Sk. B. H. Blockwell), James Bennett (26), fourth hand fell overboard and drowned.
29.12.1909: When towing 40 miles WNW from the Smalls at about 7.00 p.m. found EMERALD (M37) disabled with boiler trouble. Connected and commenced tow to Milford.
30.12.1909: At about 6.00 a.m. delivered Milford.
7.1.1915: Arrived Milford with motor vessel ANHOLT, picked up disabled off St. Ann’s Head.
7.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.790). Based Dover.
11/12.1917: At Messrs Fletcher, Son & Fearnall Ltd, Union Dry Dock, Limehouse, boiler and steam line repairs/renewal.
8.1915: Renamed MAGNOLIA III. Based Portland.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven. Reverted to MAGNOLIA (M146).
10.7.1919: Sold to John McR. Knight, Hakin; John Young, Little Haven & Francis J. Smith, Milford Haven (John McR. Knight, Hakin, manager).
10.1919: Sold to Abraham Moore, Scarborough (managing owner).
16.10.1919: Milford registry closed.
10.1919: Registered at Scarborough (SH160).
1920: Sold to Stepney Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Scarborough (Abraham Moore, manager).
1922: Sold to Co-operative Fishing Society Ltd, Scarborough (Christopher Naylor, manager).
1923: Charles A. Oxley appointed manager.
1925: Sold to P. McGreery, (Rowland Morris, Fleetwood, manager).
1925: Sold to Magnolia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Arthur M. Goldsmith, Manchester) (Roland Morris, manager).
5.1925: Scarborough registry closed.
19.5.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD37).
1927: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Milford Haven.
25.6.1928: Fishing 20 miles off Fastnet Light (Sk. W. Perry) at about 10.30 p.m. propeller shaft fractured and taking water aft. Taken in tow by AMROTH CASTLE (SA8) for Berehaven (Castletownbere), Co. Cork.
26.6.1928: At about 2.30 a.m. foundered 14 miles SE of Fastnet Rock. Crew taken onboard AMROTH CASTLE and landed at Berehaven.
11.10.1928: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T Magnolia FD37

S.T Magnolia FD37
Picture from the Internet

26/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.
19/01/2019: Image added.
21/05/2021: Updated history.

S.T. Lysander II FD352


Official Number: 118794
Yard Number: 38
Completed: 1903
Gross Tonnage: 264
Net Tonnage: 96
Length: 130 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.1 ft
Built: Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley
Engine: 78nhp T.3-cyl by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull


10.10.1903: Launched by Cook, Welton & Gemmell, Beverley (Yd.No.38) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull as LYSANDER.
21.12.1903: Registered at Hull (H800). Charles Hellyer designated manager.
12.1903: Completed.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (2-6pdrs) (Ad.No.255).
2.1915: Renamed LYSANDER II.
17.4.1915: Registered at Hull as LYSANDER II (H800).
9.11.1917: Sold to The Mersey Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Ernest Taylor designated manager. Based Granton.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
3.11.1919: Hull registry closed.
4.11.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD352).
1922: Joseph A. Taylor & Harold Taylor designated managers.
1924: Walter J. Morley designated manager.
22.4.1925: Company in voluntary Liquidation. William Ignatius Swarbrick, Chartered Accountant, Preston appointed Liquidator.
7.7.1925: Sold by the liquidator to Magnolia Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Arthur M. Goldsmith, Manchester). Rowland Morrice designated manager.
16.7.1925: The Mersey Steam Trawlers Ltd wound-up.
25.5.1926: Registered at Fleetwood as SYDNELSIE (FD352).
1927: Sold to Reginald L. Hancock, Milford Haven. Reginald L. Hancock designated managing owner.
25.6.1935: Fishing off SW Ireland (Sk. Joe Watts). Struck rocks off the Blasket Islands, Co.Kerry.
28.6.1935: Came off rocks and sank; crew abandoned in boat and picked up by a Dingle trawler.
3.7.1935: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss”.
Click to enlarge image

S.T. Lysander H800

S.T. Lysander H800
Picture from the Internet (TrawlerPhoto Forum)

26/12/2008: Page published. 4 revisions since them.
04/09/2014: Picture added.
17/05/2021: Updated history.