Tag Archives: North Shore Fishing Co

S.D/T. Blue Haze LT564 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4144
Official Number: 139988
Yard Number: 8
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Urquhart, Lindsay & Robertson, Orchar Ltd, Dundee
Boiler: Great Central Co-operative Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby

History

1919: Launched by J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.8) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BLUE HAZE (Ad.No.4144).
5.2.1919: Forms for tender to purchase received by the Admiralty.
6.6.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
14.7.1919: Sold to Bertha Agusta Richards & Charles Aleyn Jordan, Lowestoft.
10.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (Part I & VI) as BLUE HAZE O.N.139988 (LT564).
4.10.1919: Off Dungeness in fog, in collision with Cardiff steamer MANIN II.
13.12.1919: Sold to Viking Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft. James Pye designated manager.
20.8.1924: Sold to James Pye & Robert J. Read, Lowestoft (joint owners).
19.2.1925: Sold to Seven Ltd, Lowestoft. James Pye designated manager.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
1940: Re-possessed by bank and laid up at Lowestoft.
5.1940: Hire negotiated with The Admiralty by Basil Parkes, Fleetwood.
18.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service on miscellaneous Naval duties (P.No.FY.1757) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
22.5.1940: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool.
1.7.1940: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, Cleveleys designated manager.
11.1940: Based Anstruther as a TRV.
4.2.1946: Laid up.
8.2.1946: Returned to owner. Laid up.
7.2.1949: Sold to Bisset Buchan Coull, Peterhead.
2.9.1949: Registered at Peterhead as LILIUM (PD67).
5.9.1949: Lowestoft registry closed.
1953: Sold to Sophia McL. Coull, Peterhead.
1955: Sold to John Cameron, Peterhead for breaking up. John Cameron designated managing owner.
12.1956: Still listed in MNL ie. Certificates not returned and cancelled.
Changelog

06/01/2011: Page published. 2 updates since then.
07/09/2019: Updated information.

S.D/T. Glow LT668

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 3980
Official Number: 146042
Yard Number: 557
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.7 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.557) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as GLOW.
21.11.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (Ad.No.3980).
13.11.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London.
5.2.1920: Registered at Lowestoft (Part IV) as Glow (LT668) and engaged in commercial fishing.
2.9.1920: Assisted into Lowestoft Boulogne steam trawler LILLOIS (B??) disabled after boiler explosion at sea in which two men were killed and two injured.
6.7.1921: Lowestoft registry closed at request of The Admiralty.
30.7.1921: Registered by The Admiralty at London (Part I) as GLOW (No.399 of 1921) O.N.146042.
8.1921: Sold to William Robbens & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (William Robbens, manager).
8.1921: London registry closed.
26.8.1921: Lowestoft registry re-opened (LT668).
1.12.1925: In moderate weather off Southwold connected to steam drifter CLACH Na CUDEN (YH361) disabled with machinery problem and delivered Lowestoft.
7.3.1934: Sold to George Hitchim Catchpole, Lowestoft.
2.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.964) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month). Fitted with LL sweep, based at Dundee.
6.1940: At Jarrow (Sk. C. Chamberlain RNR).
5.1943: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
25.11.1943: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
16.11.1945: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Norway.
7.10.1946: Lowestoft registry closed.
12.10.1946: Sailed Lowestoft for Norway.

Click to enlarge images

HMD Glow

HMD Glow
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.D/T. Glow LT668

S.D/T. Glow LT668
Picture courtesy of The John Baxter Collection

Changelog
13/12/2010: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
12/09/2014: Picture added.
02/11/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from images.
20/11/2020: Updated history.

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589 (Seasonal)

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4142
Official Number:139989
Yard Number: 9
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 97
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Coatbridge
Boiler: Thos. Sudron & Co Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

1919: Launched by J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.9) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BOW WAVE (Ad.No.4142).
5.2.1919: Forms for tender to purchase received by the Admiralty.
26.6.1919: Sold to Bertha Agusta Richards & Charles Aleyn Jordan, Lowestoft.
29.7.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
17.9.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (Part I & IV) as BOW WAVE O.N.139989 (LT589).
13.12.1919: Sold to Viking Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (James Pye, manager).
10.8.1924: Sold to James Pye & Robert J. Read, Lowestoft (joint owners).
19.2.1925: Sold to Seven Ltd, Lowestoft (James Pye, manager).
11.6.1925: In dense fog stranded on rocks E of Redcar Pier. Refloated on evening tide with damage propeller.
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Lowestoft Fish Selling Co Ltd, Lowestoft, managing agents).
26.8.1930: At Bangor Magistrates Court, Sk. F. J. Pye, Fleetwood, was fined £10 for trawling within the three mile limit off the Welsh coast.
1940: Re-possessed by bank and laid up at Lowestoft.
5.1940: Hire negotiated with The Admiralty by Basil Parkes, Fleetwood.
18.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service and employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
22.5.1940: Sold to Fred Parkes, Blackpool.
1.7.1940: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Fred Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
11.1940: Based Anstruther as a TRV.
8.2.1946: Returned to owner.
3.1.1949: Sold to Andrew Pyper Baird, Peterhead.
17.3.1949: Lowestoft registry closed.
11.4.1949: Registered at Peterhead as JEAN BAIRD (PD1).
1954: Sold for breaking up. Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589

S.D/T. Bow Wave LT589
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Jean Baird PD1

S.D/T. Jean Baird PD1
Picture from the Internet

Changelog

21/09/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
18/09/2019: Updated information and added an image.

S.D/T. Acorn KY194 (Seasonal)

Seasonal Visitor
Copyright 2010 © by Barry Banham.

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4133
Yard Number: 547
Official Number: 137618
Gross Tonnage: 96.45
Net Tonnage: 4.70
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
DEPTH: 9.25 ft
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.547) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as PAMPERO (Ad.No.4133).
10.1919: Sold to Arthur James Larner (64/64), Caister on Sea.
1.11.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
15.11.1919: Registered at Yarmouth (Part I & IV) as EDALBA O.N.137618 (YH218).
26.11.1919: Sold to Edward A. Baker (48/64), Gt. Yarmouth & Arthur James Larner (16/64), Caister on Sea. Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood.
20.5.1922: Sold to E. A. Baker (64/64), Gt. Yarmouth.
21.9.1922: Sold to Martin Gardner, H. Gardner, D. Carstairs, Cellardyke & W. Wilson, North Shields.
16.10.1922: Yarmouth registry closed.
10.1922: Registered at Kirkcaldy as ACORN (KY194).
By 1939: Sold to Agnes & Thomas Gardner, Cellardyke.
23.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service. Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1944: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil Arthur Parkes, Blackpool, manager).
7.1946: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce) (“Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow DalekomorskichSp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia, managers) under the UNRRA scheme. Kirkcaldy registry closed. Registered at Gdynia as SYLWERIUSZ (GDY114).
1946-1949: Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth.
23.5.1949: Sold to R. C. Cook, A. W. Eastoe, R. H. Colby, Lowestoft & J. Odde, East Molsey. Gdynia registry closed.
27.7.1949: Registered at Lowestoft as ACORN (LT31).
1952: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
13.5.1952: Last landing at Fleetwood.
7.9.1954: Sold to Percy William Sutton, Gt. Yarmouth.
16.9.1954: Sold to Mercury Fisheries Co Ltd, Halifax, NS. Paul Stockhammer, London designated manager. Lowestoft registry closed.
21.9.1954: Registered at Halifax, NS.
23.9.1954: Sailed Lowestoft for Canada (Sk. Ivan Down) in Company with motor trawler BOSTON SWIFT (‘H’11), calling Stornoway to top up with bunker coal. 13.10.1954: Arrived Halifax, NS in tow of BOSTON SWIFT with depleted bunkers.
1975: Broken up at Halifax, NS.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Acorn LT31

S.T. Acorn LT31
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Collection

Changelog

11/03/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
30/06/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
08/06/2019: Minor information update.

S.D/T. Plough KY232

Technical

Official Number: 145552
Yard Number: 445
Completed: 1920
Yard Number: 445
Gross tonnage: 95
Net Tonnage: 39
Length: 86.1 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Isaac J. Abdela & Mitchell Ltd, Brimscombe
Built: Isaac J. Abdela & Mitchell Ltd, Queensferry

History

1919: Launched by Isaac J. Abdela & Mitchell Ltd, Queensferry (Yd.No.445) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as FOAM.
1.10.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
12.10.1920: Transferred to Fishery Board for Scotland for disposal.
7.1.1921: Sold to John & P. Thomson & J. R. Brown, Cockenzie.
1921: Registered at Leith as STARWORT (LH288).
1923: Sold to Martin Gardner, Robert Gardner & Martin Gardner Jnr, Cellardyke (John T. Graham, Anstruther, manager).
1923: Registered at Kirkcaldy as MENAT (KY232).
1934: Sold to Robert Gardner, Cellardyke (John T. Graham, Anstruther, manager). Registered at Kirkcaldy as PLOUGH (KY232).
1939: Sold to Mrs R. F. Gardner, Cellardyke.
14.9.1939: Requisitioned for war service on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1942: Sold to North Shore Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
2.3.1946: Returned to owner.
10.4.1948: On passage Yarmouth – Fleetwood, struck submerged wreckage and foundered near E. Goodwins. Crew took to boat and picked up by Ramsgate lifeboat. Kirkcaldy registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Plough KY232

S.D/T. Plough KY232

Changelog
03/02/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
30/07/2016: Picture added.