Tag Archives: Rossall SFC

S.T. Star of Freedom FD200

Technical

Official Number: 129356.
Yard Number: 487
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 258
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.1 ft
Depth: 12.9 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

18.2.1911: Launched by Hall, Russell & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.487) for The Walker Steam Trawl Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen as STAR OF FREEDOM.
2.1911: Completed (Thomas Walker, manager).
1.3.1911: Registered at Aberdeen (A361).
Pre 1913: Andrew Walker, manager.
1913: Sold to The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood (John D. Gibson, manager).
11.8.1913: Aberdeen registry closed.
12.8.1913: Registered at Fleetwood (FD200).
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr & W/T) (Ad.No.955). Fitted as Leader.
30.3.1915: Allocated Unit No.61 – No.3 Patrol based Penzance (Sub Lieut. C. Walter).
4.1915: Re-appointed Unit No.61 – Section A based Penzance (Lieut. J.J. Gillespie RNR).
24.7.1915: Refit at Penzance completed, fitted with ‘silent chamber’.
10.1916: Unit No.61 – Section A 1st Division based Penzance (Lieut. T. Kippins RNR).
19.4.1917: Mined off Trevose Head, Cornwall, while ‘sweeping (Lieut. T. Kippins RNR). Foundered with loss of ten of her crew.
19.5.1917: Fleetwood registry closed “Lost on Admiralty service”.

(Lost – Ty/Warrant Telegraphist Jack Wade; Joseph Dykins & Reginald N. James, Enginemen; George Lace, Ldg Seaman; Frederick Dutton, George Edwards, John Ivey & Edward Jewell, deckhands; Joseph Mills & Joseph C. Remphrey, trimmers.)

Annex A
26.12.1914: Commissioned.
1.1.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss 12pdr and WT (Call sign YFP) and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.955). Fitted as Leader.
30.3.1915: Allocated Unit No.61 – No.3 Patrol based Penzance (Sub Lieut. C. Walter).
4.1915: Re-appointed Unit No.61 – Section A based Penzance (Lieut. J.J. Gillespie RNR).
24.7.1915: Refit at Penzance completed, fitted with ‘silent chamber’.
10.1916: Unit No.61 – Section A 1st Division based Penzance (Lieut. T. Kippins RNR).
19.4.1917: Mined off Trevose Head, Cornwall.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Star of Freedom FD200

S.T. Star of Freedom FD200
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

S.T. Star of Freedom A361

S.T. Star of Freedom A361
Picture courtesy of The James Cullen Collection

Changelog
14/05/2009: Page published. 4 revisions since then.
27/10/2014: Picture added.
12/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Rosetta FD100

Technical

Official Number: 124685
Yard Number: 273
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 236
Net Tonnage: 71
Length: 126.8 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 12.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

24.12.1906: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.273) for Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood & others (James Ormesher, Manchester (32/64); Mary H. Ormesher, Manchester (8/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Rosetta Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64)) (trading as The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood) as ROSETTA.
18.2.1907: All five shareholders mortgaged their shares to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A), (B), (C), (D), (E).
21.2.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD100), Walter H. Dickensen, manager.
2.1907: Completed (Walter H. Dickenson, manager).
11.7.1908: John D. Gibson appointed Ship’s Husband.
30.10.1908: Registered owner Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool & Others (James Ormesher, Manchester (32/64); Mary H. Ormesher, Manchester (8/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Rosetta Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64)) (trading as The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood).
10.11.1908: Seven shares sold by Walter H. Dickensen to James Ormesher (4) and Mary H. Ormesher (3).
10.11.1908: Two mortgages for four & three shares to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (F) & (G).
19.11.1908: Walter H. Dickensen mortgage (E) discharged.
9.1.1912: Assisted steamer GLENESK (3524grt/1891) towing her to Moville, Co. Donegal. Crew received £825 salvage money.
14.1.1909: Mortgages (A), (B), (C), (D), (F) & (G) discharged.
10.8.1911: John D. Gibson appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.69net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a net carrier (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.2340). Based Falmouth (Sk. George Arthur Novo RNR).
1917: On Special Service (“In view of enemy submarine activity in Trevose Head area, disguised and sent to fish in that vicinity, the 6pdr gun concealed aft, inside a collapsible boat built for the purpose”).
31.1.1917: Sailed Falmouth for patrol around Lizard Head.
1.2.1917: Having steamed NNE and seen nothing, altered to NE and sighted four smacks and a steam trawler and commenced fishing with them.
2.2.1917: In the early hours trawling some 26 miles NbyW from Trevose Head. At 4.00 am. hailed by steam trawler to cut gear as a submarine was 3/4 mile away having sunk the Lowestoft smack INVERLYON (LT687) and he had crew onboard. Continued with tow for 15 minutes before hauling, with last 20 fathoms trawl came fast. Reversed winch and freed at which time Mate, John Watterson, sighted a submarine surfacing 100 yards on starboard quarter. Downed the boat, manned the gun and commenced firing. First three rounds hit the submarine, the fourth caused an explosion and flames and a further four rounds were fired before the submarine pulled away and disappeared in the dark.
4.2.1917: After continuing search/trawling, left the area and came to Wolf Rock.
7.2.1917: Returned to Falmouth to land.
19.2.1917: Recommended that Sk. Novo and Mate, Watterson be awarded DSC and DSM respectively for their prompt engagement of the enemy submarine and a monetary award of £200 for crew.
25.2.1917: “The King has been pleased to award the Distinguished Service Cross to Skipper Novo, and the Distinguished Service Medal to Mr J. Watterson, Secondhand, Mate of the “ROSETTA”. It is further approved to award the sum of £200 to the “ROSETTA” …”. (Sk. G. A. Novo RNR, of Fleetwood, commissioned the ship in Fleetwood and served in her until her return).
1919: Returned to owner.
5.8.1919: Sold to Gerald W. Kelton, Dunsfold, Surrey.
8.8.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
15.1.1920: Registered at Aberdeen (A266).
1924: Transferred to Grimsby (William F. Goodwin, manager).
9.6.1925: Off Newsand Buoy, Humber estuary, in thick fog collided with steam trawler CONQUEROR (GY1111) which subsequently foundered. Blamed for excessive speed.
1927: Re-measured 125.7 ft BP 246g 71n.
1927: Sold to J. Prentout & Cie, Fécamp (Société de Léché et Cie, manager).
11.2.1927: Aberdeen registry closed.
2.1927: Registered at Fécamp.
Pre 1930: Sold to Société de Léché et Cie, Fécamp.
Pre 1940: Sold to Société Les Boulonnais, Boulogne-sur-Mer. Registered at Boulogne.
1952: Sold for breaking up.

(Note: The only U-boat in the vicinity was U55 (Wilhelm Werner); there is no mention of this incident in U55’s KTB (War Diary). Could it be that ROSETTA snagged on wreckage from one of the smacks sunk by U55 on 30.1.1917 and 1.2.1917 in the vicinity, EUONYMUS (132764) (LT161); HELENA & SAMUEL (106434) (LT4); MERIT (109301) (BM28); TREVONE (128648) (LT453); W.A.H. (136610) (LT539); WETHERILL (127591) (LT98) and ADA (117369) (R184); INVERLYON (117495) (LT687), hauled the part submerged wreck to the surface and opened fire? Bearing in mind that the incident occurred at approx 4.30 am. on a dark February morning.)

Annex A

4.1915: At Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss 3pdr and fitted out for net carrying (Ad.No.2340).
4.1915: Based at Falmouth (Sk. G.A. Novo RNR) working with net drifters.
By 1.10.1918: At Falmouth (Special Service).

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Rosetta FD100

S.T. Rosetta FD100
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst Collection

Changelog
22/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
22/06/2015: Updated information.
22/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Doris (1) FD141

Additional material courtesy of Bob Wilson

Technical

Official Number:124695
Yard Number: 271
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 239
Net Tonnage: 72
Length: 126.4 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen

History

12.10.1907: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.271) for Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood & others (James Ormesher, Manchester (27/64); Mary H. Ormesher, Manchester (13/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64)) (trading as The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood) as DORIS.
22.11.1907: Ormesher shares (27/64 & 13/64) mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A) & (B).
23.11.1907: Dixon shares (10/64 & 7/64) mortgaged to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (C) & (D). Dickenson shares (7/64) mortgaged to William Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (E).
26.11.1907: Registered at Fleetwood (FD141).
11.1907: Completed. Walter Henry Dickenson, manager.
11.7.1908: John David Gibson appointed Ship’s Husband.
30.10.1908: Owner registered as Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool & others (James Ormesher, Manchester (27/64); Mary H. Ormesher, Manchester (13/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64)) (The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood).
19.8.1911: John D. Gibson appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 98.85net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
21.1.1914: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. William Wright): ten crew.
About 22.1.1914: Vessel presumed foundered in severe weather conditions off the coast of Skye; all crew lost.
25.1.1914: Lifebuoy and pound boards picked up by Liverpool trawler EILEEN DUNCAN (LL36) (Sk. William Barrett). Subsequently the bodies of George Joseph Nicholson and Matthew Wood were recovered and wreckage including part of wheelhouse, lifeboat and lifebuoys picked up and identified.
11.2.1914: Fleetwood registry closed.
16.4.1914: At the BoT Formal Inquiry (S.171) held at Liverpool, the Inspector, David Davies, found;
“In the absence of direct evidence it is not possible to say with certainty, but for the reasons set forth in the report, I have come to the conclusion, that during the bad weather prevailing at the time, this vessel struck on Mills Rocks, these being a group of submerged rocks lying 31/2 miles WSW from Oigh Sgeir Island*, and that she soon broke up and eventually sank, giving the crew very little chance to save themselves.”
(Lost (all Fleetwood unless stated) – Sk. William Wright; John Talbot (39), Mate; Matthew Wood (32) Bosun; John Stephenson, Ch. Eng; William Croft, 2nd Eng; Robert W. Chiffens (17) & William Jones, deckhands; Levi Leake (32) & Arthur Stephenson, firemen; George Joseph Nicholson, Kirkham, cook).

Note * – Hyskeir skerry at the southern entrance to The Minch SW of the island of Canna

From The Fishing News 06/02/1914…………..

The body of William Nicholson, cook of the Fleetwood trawler DORIS, has been picked up off the coast of Skye, and this removes all doubts as to the fate of the vessel. From the condition of the body it is evident that the trawler was lost several days ago in one of the fierce storms that have recently raged off the western coasts of Scotland.

Wreckage comprising part of the wheelhouse, the lifeboat, and lifebuoys with the vessel’s name on them, and part of the deck fittings have been picked up. The DORIS, FD141, was a comparatively new vessel, having been built in 1907 by the John Duthie (Torrey) Shipbuilding Co of Aberdeen. She left Fleetwood on January 21 and had not been seen or heard of since.

In the faint hope that some of the crew may have reached one of the many uninhabited islands of the Hebrides and may be there stranded without any means of communicating with civilisation, 2 Fleetwood trawlers have been despatched by the FFVOA to make a search of the Hebridean waters.

Five wives and twenty children, in addition to a widowed mother, are dependent on the crew of DORIS. The lost trawler belonged to the Rossall Steam Fishing Company, of Fleetwood.

The sad news about DORIS recalls the mystery of BELOVAR, which twelve months ago sailed from Fleetwood, and from that day to this no tidings have come, either about the ship or the ill-fated men who sailed with her.

A Blackpool correspondent says :- In connection with the foundering of the Fleetwood steam trawler DORIS in the Hebrides with a crew of ten, a Blackpool man named Albert Clarke had a remarkable escape. Clarke intended sailing in the vessel and went on board, but at the last moment Skipper Wright declined to take him as he had not signed a clearance form. Clarke therefore transferred himself to another boat. The ship’s cook, George Nicholson, one of the drowned men, who leaves a wife and seven children, only transferred to DORIS at the last moment.

The skipper, William Wright, aged 45 of Burns Rd, Fleetwood, was making his first trip with the DORIS having been employed on another of the same company’s boats. He had been thirteen years at sea. He leaves six grown up children.

Reverend Frederick d’Heurter writes from St Joseph’s, Wesham, Kirkham, near Preston, to the Manchester Guardian :- Among the poor men who lost their lives in the wreck of the Fleetwood trawler DORIS is George Nicholson, cook, a member of my congregation. He leaves a widow with seven children all under nine years of age, in the greatest destitution, as they were totally dependent for support on the husband’s wage.

If you will kindly insert these few lines I pray and hope that some kind-hearted and charitable readers who might like to show their practical sympathy to the poor widow and fatherless little ones. All help sent to me for their relief will be gratefully accepted.

Notes from Bob Wilson
The trawler, DORIS, was lost with all hands in January 1914 off the Western Hebrides. The crew members were:

Skipper – William Wright.
Mate – John Talbot
Bosun – Matthew Wood
Chief Engineer – John Stephenson
Second Engineer – William Croft
Trimmer – Levi Leake
Trimmer – Arthur Stephenson
Deckhand – Robert William Chiffins
Deckhand – William Jones
Cook – George/William Nicholson

There was only one body found and that was of the cook, William or George Nicholson.

My Grandfather, James Patterson, was the Spare Hand on the CLARA BELLA. The Fleetwood Chronicle article of the time stated ‘a rather strange coincidence in connection with James Patterson, is that he is stated to have signed articles to have sailed with the ill-fated DORIS, but at the last minute, he changed his mind and went in the CLARA BELLA. The trawler DORIS foundered off the coast of Skye around January 22nd 1914 with all crew lost. My grandfather’s fate was sealed.
On 25th of March 1913, after the loss of the BELOVAR and NEW CROWN a disaster fund was set up to help the bereaved families – it paid out about £200 in twelve months. After the loss of the CLARA BELLA and the DORIS an appeal was launched by the fund ‘Urgent Help Needed’.
After researching the loss of the CLARA BELLA I can only conclude that there were a lot of contradictions in the various articles published in the Fleetwood Chronicle 1914.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Doris FD141

S.T. Doris FD141
Picture courtesy of The John Stevenson Collection

S.T. Eileen Duncan LL36

S.T. Eileen Duncan LL36
Picture courtesy of the Peter Green Collection

Changelog
10/01/2009: Page published.
31/05/2014: Eileen Duncan picture added.
25/09/2015: Information updated.
11/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. Fanny FD89

Technical

Official Number: 122949
Yard Number: 267
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 235
Net Tonnage: 65
Length: 126.3 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: Ross & Duncan, Govan
Built: J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

8.9.1906: Launched by J. Duthie, Sons & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd. No.267) for Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood & others ( James Ormesher, Manchester (40/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Rosetta Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64) as FANNY.
29.10.1906: Registered at Fleetwood (FD89), Walter H. Dickenson appointed manager.
29.10.1906: All four shareholders mortgaged their shares to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (A), (B), (C), (D).
10.1906: Completed.
11.7.1908: John D. Gibson appointed manager.
30.10.1908: Registered owner Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool & Others (James Ormesher, Manchester (40/64); Joseph Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (10/64); Margaret Rosetta Dixon, South Shore, Blackpool (7/64) and Walter Henry Dickenson, Fleetwood (7/64)) (trading as The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood).
10.11.1908: Seven shares sold by Walter H. Dickenson to James Ormesher (4/64) and Margaret R. Dixon (3/64).
11.11.1908: Two mortgages for four & three shares to Williams Deacon’s Bank Ltd, London (E) & (F).
19.11.1908: Walter H. Dickenson mortgage (D) discharged.
14.1.1909: Mortgages (A), (B), (C), (E) & (F) discharged.
1912: Sold to The Rossall Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood. John D. Gibson appointed manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 94.07net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
25.1.1917: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland fishing grounds.
1.2.1917: Last seen on fishing grounds.
7.2.1917: Officially posted as missing. Listed as “Missing since 1st February 1917” believed sunk by U-boat (no claim made) off Dhuheartach Light; lost with all ten crew.
3.3.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost – Sk. Dennis Nolan; Joseph Leadbetter, Mate: Thomas Nicholson, Bosun, Thomas Morley, Ch Eng; Frederick Wessels, 2nd Eng; Alfred Dabor, Thomas Leadbetter, George Hughes, deckhands; David Iddon, fireman; Hugh Nicholson, cook

20/12/2008: Page published. 3 updates since then.