Tag Archives: War Loss

S.T. Albatross (1) GY279

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 108460
Yard Number: 177
Completed: 1897
Gross Tonnage: 158
Net Tonnage: 66
Length: 100.0 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by C. D. Holmes & Co, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley

History

6.3.1897: Launched by Cochrane & Cooper, Beverley (Yd.No.177) for Thomas Baskcomb (22/64), Henry Lewis Taylor (21/64) & Thomas William Baskcomb (21/64), Grimsby as ALBATROSS.
4.1897: Completed.
6.4.1897: Registered at Grimsby (GY279).
6.4.1897: Thomas Baskcomb designated managing owner.
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to George Jeffs, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 51/2% (A).
6.4.1897: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (B).
8.4.1898: Mortgage (B) discharged.
5.2.1899: While sheltering in Fuzleford Harbour, Faroe Islands, arrested by Danish gunboat for being in harbour with trawls not stowed. Fined £10. On leaving harbour had
machinery defect and returned to harbour. Fined a further £34 with nets and gear confiscated.
3.4.1907; Mortgage (A) transferred to Thomas Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
24.2.1908: Mortgage (A) discharged.
24.4.1908: Thomas Baskcomb shares (22/64) and Henry Lewis Taylor shares (21/64) sold to Thomas William Baskcomb (64/64), Grimsby.
25.2.1908: Thomas William Baskcomb designated managing owner.
17.3.1908: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The York City & County Banking Co Ltd, York (C).
14.9.1910: Sold to Alick Black (60/64) and Rowland Hill (4/64), Grimsby.
15.9.1910: Alick Black designated managing owner.
15.9.1910: Mortgage (C) discharged.
5.11.1910: Rowland Hill shares (4/64) sold to Alick Black (64/64), Grimsby.
25.1.1911: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
Pre 1913: Fishing from Fleetwood.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 66.76 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
5.6.1914: Henry Croft Baker appointed manager.
27.5.1914: Mortgage (D) discharged.
28.5.1914: Sold to The Savoy Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
30.6.1914: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to London City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (E).
8.11.1915: Mortgage (E) discharged.
9.11.1915: Sold to John Lawrence Green (64/64), Grimsby.
10.11.1915: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial Bank of England Ltd, London (F).
11.11.1915: John Lawrence Green designated managing owner.
24.9.1916: Stopped by U-boat (U57) approx 20 miles E of Flamborough Head and sunk by gunfire.
20.10.1916: Grimsby registry closed “ Vessel sunk in North Sea by German submarine on the 24.9.1916”.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Albatross GY229

S.T. Albatross GY279
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

Changelog
20/05/2012: Page published. 7 updates since then.
01/02/2015: Picture added.
30/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from image.

S.T. Dhoon (1) FD244

Technical

Official Number: 139213
Yard Number: 636
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 275
Net Tonnage: 108
Length: 125.4 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough

History

19.4.1916: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.636) for The “Wyre” Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood as DHOON.
24.5.1916: Registered at Fleetwood (FD244).
5.1916: Completed (Magnus B. J. Wedum, manager).
9.1916: Requisitioned for war service from the builders and fitted out as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.2959).
24.11.1916: Mined near Newarp Light Vessel.
19.12.1916: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost – Ty/Sk. Allan McB. Ramsay; Edward Casey, 2nd Hand; George Sharkey & William Stonebanks, Enginemen; Hugh McAngus, seaman; James F. B. Main, Malcolm McLeod, Isaac S. Stone & George M. Tait, deckhands; Donald Finlayson & Arthur G. Gardner, trimmers; John G. Lawrie, signalman)

S.T. Delphine A126

Technical

Official Number: 135979
Yard Number: 569
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 250
Net Tonnage: 97
Length: 125.0 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

25.11.1913: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.569) for Consolidated Steam Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Grimsby as DELPHINE.
5.1.1914: Registered at Grimsby (GY958).
1.1914: Completed at a cost of £8773 13s 0d (John D. Marsden, manager).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1619).
1919: Returned to owner.
9.1927: Owners restyled Consolidated Fisheries Ltd (Sir John D Marsden, Bart, manager).
28.9.1929: Grimsby registry closed “To transfer to Nova Scotia”.
7.7.1930: Grimsby registry re-opened (GY958).
9.1934: Sold to North Star Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Aberdeen (John Alexander Harrow, manager).
19.9.1934: Grimsby registry closed.
20.9.1934: Registered at Aberdeen (A126).
10.1939: Sold to Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
20.11.1939: On fishing grounds 18 miles N by E of Tory Island, Co. Donegal (Sk.C. J. Coxall); thirteen crew. At 3.30 p.m. observed 4 miles WSW a cloud of steam from a sinking trawler (THOMAS HANKINS (LO333)). Surmised U-boat in vicinity, hauled gear and made off, sent W/T distress message. At 4.00 pm. stopped by U-boat (U.33), abandoned to boat, sunk by gunfire. Boat damaged in launching, Ch.Eng put his foot in hole and packed with tallow. After twenty two hours and 38 miles, landed on Tory Island.
30.11.1939: Aberdeen registry closed.

Changelog
19/05/2012: page published. 5 updates since then.

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

Technical

Official Number: 136887
Yard Number: 576
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 269
Net Tonnage: 107
Length: 125.3 ft
Breadth: 23.5 ft
Depth: 12.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

27.4.1914: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.576) for Fred Kelsall & Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Thomas F. Kelsall, manager) as CITY OF DUNDEE.
22.5.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD4).
5.1914: Completed.
11.1914: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (Ad.No.678). Based Dover.
15.9.1915: At 7.10 pm. foundered after collision with steamer PATROCLUS (5509grt/?) at the Folkestone Gate. Officer in Command Lieut. Albert J. Coles RNR and seven men saved, six by PATROCLUS and two by steamer MISTLEY (135grt/?) . Remainder of crew, Warrant Officer Telegraphist, RNR and six men, lost*.
28.9.1915: Fleetwood registry closed.

(Lost* – Ty/Warrant Telegraphist Ernest A. Sutton; Charles E. Freeman, 2nd Hand; Arthur Howe, 2nd Engineman; Thomas Baker & Thomas May, deckhands; William E. Hill, trimmer.)

(Note: “Lieut. A. J. Coles RNR and Lieut. A. Bean RNR “SEAWARD HO” rendered good Service on Folkestone Gate, when traffic Route had to be diverted at a moment’s notice”.)

Click to enlarge image

S.T. City of Dundee FD4

S.T. City of Dundee FD4
Picture courtesy of Bill Blow

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 revisions since then.
09/08/2014: Picture added.
03/11/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Bracklyn FD2

Technical

Official Number: 136888
Yard Number: 401
Completed: 1914
Gross Tonnage: 303
Net Tonnage: 122
Length: 125.8 ft
Breadth: 23.4 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
Built: J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

22.4.1914: Launched by J. Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.401) for The Brooklyn Fishing Co Ltd, Fleetwood as BRACKLYN.
5.1914: Completed (Richard W. Mason, manager).
28.5.1914: Registered at Fleetwood (FD2).
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (Ad.No.667).
28.3.1916: Bad weather, with other vessels ran ashore on Corton Beach, Gt. Yarmouth. Weather eased and towed off by tug LOWESTOFT (172grt/1898) assisted by Lowestoft lifeboat KENTWELL (Cox George Ayres).
1917: Thomas Cardwell appointed manager.
11.5.1917: Mined off Great Yarmouth.
21.5.1917: Fleetwood registry closed.

(MPK – Lieut Arthur E.L. Rudd; Ty/Sk. Archibald Radmore; Robert Bailey, 2nd Hand: John N. Saunders & Robert W. Mitchinson, Enginemen; William Colby, deck hand; Magnus Adamson & John T. Alden, trimmers; Percy M. Stace, trimmer/cook.)

Notes: On 28 March 1916 two sailing ships, two steamers and the minesweeper BRACKLYN went on Corton Beach, off Great Yarmouth, in bad weather. The Lowestoft lifeboat, KENTWELL, was launched but the weather was so bad that no crews could be found and it is doubtful if they could have been taken off because of the weather.
When the weather eased the KENTWELL was towed down to one of the schooners. When they arrived they found that the coastguards with their rocket apparatus had rescued all the crews with the exception of that from the ship nearest Hopton. The Gorleston lifeboat, MARK LANE, had got them. When they returned, George Ayers the 2nd Coxswain who was in charge, was asked to go out to the minesweeper. They went out and helped the tug LOWESTOFT to get her off the beach. Later in the year an award of £40 for salvage was received.
Having survived this it seems ironic that BRACKLYN was subsequently lost to a mine.

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 5 updates since then.