Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow and Andy Hall
Official Number: 145559
Yard Number: 860
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Built: Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town
Engine: 270ihp T.3-cyl by D. & R. B. Scott, Tayport
Boiler: Hewitt & Kellitt Ltd, Bradford
1919: Launched by Lea Shipbuilding & Repairing Co, Canning Town (Yd.No.860) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as WHITECLOUD.
25.8.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
9.12.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal. Laid up at Dundee.
1921: Sold to A. Lewis McCombie, Granton (Thomas Murphy, manager) for £4,875 under HM Treasury mortgage agreement (Disposal of Admiralty Drifters to Ex-service Fishermen).
1922: Registered at Leith (LH304). Official No.145559.
1922: Registered at Leith as ADMIRAL STARTIN (LH304).
1.1926: Sold to Samuel Chapman Snr, Samuel Chapman Jnr, Fred Chapman and Benjamin Chapman, Grimsby (64/64 joint owners). Samuel Chapman Jnr designated managing owner.
1.1926: Leith registry closed.
13.1.1926: Registered at Grimsby (GY376).
4.1926: Sold to John Pirie (16/64), James Pirie (16/64), William Pirie (21/64) and George Paul (11/64), all Portknockie.
30.4.1926: James Pirie designated managing owner.
30.4.1926: Grimsby registry closed.
5.5.1926: Registered at Banff as FISHER LAD (BF204).
20.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on harbour defence patrol duties (P.No.FY.282) (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1944: Sold to Supreme Fishcuring Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
10.11.1945: Returned to owner. Laid up.
1947: Sold Hjalmar Naess, Haugesund, Norway.
1947: Banff registry closed. Registered at Haugesund as STEFFEN NAESS (R-45-H).
By 1949: Converted to dry cargo. 100grt 49net.
By 1949: Converted to motor and fitted with oil engine by Wichmann Mtrf, Rubbestadneset, Norway.
21.04.1961: On passage Moss towards Stavanger with a cargo of barley (Capt Hjalmar Naess). Capsized off Kristiansund when cargo shifted and foundered. Master and his two sons lost. Registry closed.
Click to enlarge images
27/03/2010: Page published. 11 updates since then.
05/07/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
29/08/2020: Updated history.