Tag Archives: Bay Fisheries Ltd

S.T. Arnold Bennett H259

In Fleetwood ownership. Did not fish from the port

Technical

Official Number: 162185
Yard Number: 1086
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 353
Net Tonnage: 147
Length: 140.0 ft
Breadth: 24.5 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by C.D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull

History

(In 1935 the Hull trawler LEONIDAS (162186) (H267) was lengthened by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. The work involved creating an improved hull form with new bow and stern sections. The design was successful, not only providing increased fish room capacity, but also, as was expected, reducing coal consumption and giving a slightly higher free running speed. Other owners stemmed vessels at Middlesbrough for similar work to be undertaken)

31.5.1930: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.1086) for Newington Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as ARNOLD BENNETT.
22.7.1930: Registered at Hull (H259).
25.7.1930: Completed.
30.5.1939: Completed lengthening by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, Middlesbrough to 156.2 feet (including fitting new bow and stern sections). Re measured 374g 167n.
26.6.1939: Insured value increased from £12,800 to £17,800 following lengthening of vessel.
25.7.1939: Insured value £18,000.
3.6.1940: At Hull last landing before requisitioning. Iceland trip, 17 days – 2,085kits £2,383 gross.
3.6.1940: Requisitioned for war service as an auxiliary patrol vessel (1-12pdr) (P.No.FY1939) (Hire rate £201.10.1d/month).
6.1940: Based Invergordon as auxiliary patrol vessel (Ty/Sk. R. W. Millener RNR).
5.1941: Fitted out as a minesweeper. Based Grimsby with M/S Group 77.
3.7.1945: Returned to owner.
3.7.1945: Sailed Hull for Bear Island (Sk. R. Milliner).
25.7.1945: At Hull landed 2,166 kits grossed £8,226.
30.11.1945: Insured value £34,000; for 1946 proposed £39,000.
2.5.1947: Sold to Partnership (Hull) Ltd, Hull. Kenneth Percival, designated managers.
4.11.1948: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood. Basil Arthur Parkes, designated manager)
23.11.1949: Sold to W.H.D. Dunnett, Bray & Air Cdre A. V. Harvey CBE MP, London. Basil Arthur Parkes designated manager.
11.12.1952: Fishing in the Barents Sea, arrested by Russian gunboat suspected of illegal fishing. At Murmansk court found guilty and fined 500 roubles with gear and catch confiscated.
16.4.1953: Laid up.
23.4.1955: Sold to Saint Andrew’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. Basil Arthur Parkes designated manager.
1955: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Shipbreaking Industries Ltd for breaking up at Charlestown, Fife (Contract No.83D).
22.5.1955: Delivered Charlestown from Hull under own power.
6.1955: Breaking up commenced.
18.11.1955: Hull registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Arnold Bennett H259

S.T. Arnold Bennett H259
Picture courtesy of Hull Trawlers

Changelog

11/09/2010: Page published. 4 updates since then.
24/09/2010: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
17/07/2019: Updated information.

S.D/T. Abiding Star LT451

Technical

Official Number: 138872
Yard Number: 37
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 117
Net Tonnage: 52
Length: 93.8 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 10.0 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Burrell & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees
Wooden built drifter/trawler
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft

History

1917: Completed by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.37) for James Johnson, Scarborough as FLO JOHNSON. Registered at Scarborough (SH325).
7.1917: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.3052). Based Portland.
1919: Returned to owner at Lowestoft.
7.1919: Scarborough registry closed.
10.7.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT451).
17.10.1925: Sold to Florence Johnson, Scarborough (James Johnson, manager).
19.10.1926: Sold to James Johnson, Scarborough.
14.12.1926: Sold to The Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Frederick Ernest Catchpole, manager).
21.3.1927: Registered at Lowestoft as ABIDING STAR (LT451). Seasonal fishing out of Fleetwood.
13.6.1928: Landed 244 boxes of herring.
6.1930: Re engined and boilered by Elliott & Garrood Ltd, Beccles (old engine fitted in KINDRED STAR (LT177).
17.5.1940: Requisitioned for war service on Degaussing Service (P.No.FY.284) (Hire rate £26.0.0d/month).
12.5.1945: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (B. A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1946: Returned to owner.
1947: Engine removed and vessel hulked.
4.12.1947: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Abiding Star LT451

S.D/T. Abiding Star LT451
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Abiding Star LT451

S.D/T. Abiding Star LT451
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Changelog

20/08/2010: Picture published. 8 updates since then.
16/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
02/05/2019: Updated the history.

S.T. Castor GY963

Additional information courtesy of of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 138983
Yard Number: 670
Completed: 1916
Gross Tonnage: 209
Net Tonnage: 91
Length: 115.8 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: 400ihp T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Great Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton-on-Tees

History

22.1.1916: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.670) for John Denton Marsden (64/64), Grimsby as CASTOR.
18.8.1916: Registered at Grimsby (GY963).
1.9.1916: Completed.
6.9.1916: Sold to The Grimsby & North Sea Steam Trawling Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
7.9.1916: John Richardson Mackrill designated manager.
9.1916: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.2960).
9.1916: Fitted with WT, Hotchkiss 12pdr gun and mine-sweep. Fitted as Half Leader. Allocated to Unit No.150 “Trawler Sweepers” based Devonport (Lieut. W. Leitch RNR).
10.1916: Remains with Unit No.150 “Trawler Sweepers” now based Falmouth to replace Unit No.87 transferred to Havre. (Lieut. W. Leitch RNR).
3.1917: Renamed CASTOR II. Based Falmouth.
1.10.1918: At Penzance for General Patrol and Escort work (Lieut. RNR).
7.10.1918: At 10.45pm in collision and sank HM Drifter OCEAN FOAM (Ad.No.1954) (YH970) in Penzance Bay. All crew saved.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby and reverted to CASTOR (GY963).
19.12.1919: Alfred Bannister appointed manager.
5.8.1921: Sold to Lindsey Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby.
15.8.1921: Edwin Bacon Snr appointed manager.
15.4.1931: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Edwin Bacon Snr, Grimsby.
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service designated for minesweeping conversion.
2.12.1939: Returned to owner.
21.5.1940: Mortgage (A) discharged.
22.10.1943: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
27.10.1943: Basil Arthur Parkes appointed manager.
02.05.1946: Grimsby registry closed.
04.05.1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw under the UNRRA scheme; operated by Przedsiebiorstwo Polowow Dalekomorskich i Uslug Rybackich “Dalmor”, Gdynia. Registered at Gdynia as KASTOR (GDY100).
18.05.1946: Arrived at Gdynia and employed in the Baltic Sea training fishermen.
27.07.1949: Taken out of service and temporarily used to supply steam to the training hulk BENIOWSKI (1912grt/1905). Later broken up and Gdynia registry closed.

ANNEX A

9.1916: Fitted with WT and Hotchkiss 12pdr gun and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.2960). Allocated to Unit 150 “Trawler Sweepers” based Devonport (Lieut. W. Leitch RNR).

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Kastor GDY100

S.T. Kastor GDY100
Picture courtesy of The Roger Griffiths Collection

S.T. Castor GY963

S.T. Castor GY963
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow Collection

S.T. Castor GY693

S.T. Castor GY963
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

05/03/2009: Page published. 6 updates since then.
30/06/2016: Picture added.
09/11/2016: Picture added.
07/11/2019: Information updated.

S.D/T. Eager LT1166

Technical

Official Number: 132962
Yard Number: 528
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 102
Net Tonnage: 47
Length: 88 ft
Breadth: 19.1 ft
Depth: 9 ft
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby
Engine: T.3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Great Yarmouth

History

7.3.1912: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.528) for Sidney G. Allerton, Lowestoft (managing owner) as EAGER.
20.6.1912: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1166).
22.6.1912: Completed.
1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter(1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.202).
1933: Half ownership transferred to Frederick Spashett, Lowestoft.
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
15.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £27.13.6d/month).
4.1944: Employed on port duties.
6.1944 Employed on miscellaneous duties in support of Normandy Landings.
10.1944 Continued miscellaneous Naval duties.
1945: Sold to Bay Fisheries Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, manager).
10.1945: Returned to owner.
1947: Sold to Henry B. Roberts, Lowestoft.
1951: Sold to J. W. Burwood, Lowestoft.
1952: Sold to Eager Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (J. W. Burwood, manager). Seasonal white fish trawling from Fleetwood.
1.5.1952: Last landing at Fleetwood.
1953: Sold to W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft.
1954: Transferred to Diesel Trawlers Ltd, Lowestoft (Edward W. Podd, manager).
1954: Converted to motor by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft. Re-engined with 300bhp 3-cyl AKD by W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft.
1963: Sold to Gamashie Fishing & Marketing Co, Accra, Ghana.
1972: Sunk.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Eager LT1166

S.D/T. Eager LT1166
Picture courtesy of The Jutter Collection

S.D/T. Eager LT1166

S.D/T. Eager LT1166
Picture courtesy of The Clione412 Collection

M.D/T. Eager LT1166

M.D/T. Eager LT1166
Picture courtesy of The Clione412 Collection

M.D/T. Eager LT1166

M.D/T Eager LT1166
Picture courtesy of The Robert Durrant Collection

S.D/T. Eager LT1166

S.D/T. Eager LT1166
Picture courtesy of The Owen Corrigan Collection

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published.
11/05/2014: Picture added.
20/11/2014: Picture added.
11/02/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.