Technical

Official Number: 125373
Yard Number: 542
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Tonnage: 199dw
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

1918: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.542) (“Admiralty” drifter) for The Admiralty as HORIZON (Ad.No.3905).
30.8.1918: Completed as a minesweeper (1-6pdr).
1945: Laid up.
1947: Sold to Robert W. Watt & A. Watt, Fraserburgh. Registered at Fraserburgh as HAMNAVOE (FR123)
1949: Sold to The Thule Fishing Co Ltd, Fraserburgh.
1951: Sold to Paul O. Williment, Gorleston. Fraserburgh registry closed. Registered at Yarmouth (YH117).
5/6.1952: Seasonal landing at Fleetwood.
1955: Sold to G. R. Newsom, Gt. Yarmouth & R. Hewett, Winterton. Registered at Yarmouth as AMARANTH (YH117).
1956: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
6.4.1956: Delivered Bruges.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Amaranth YH117

S.D/T. Amaranth YH117

Changelog
31/12/2012: Page published. 3 updates since then.
09/07/2016: Picture added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional material courtesy of Roy Breech and Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 139996
Yard Number: 73
Completed: 1918
Gross Tonnage: 100
Net Tonnage: 42
Length: 89.9 ft
Breadth: 20.0 ft
Depth: 10.0
Engine: T.3-cyl by F. W. Carver & Co, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton-on-tees

History

1918: Ordered by The Admiralty from Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad (“Admiralty drifter”) as “WINDHOWL”.
17.12.1918: Order cancelled.
1919: Launched (Yd.No.73) for East Anglian Red Star Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Norwich as “HARNSER”.
3.12.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT627). John Victor Breech, Lowestoft, manager.
23.12.1919: Struck Lowestoft Pier causing damage.
24.4.1926: Sold to Jack Breech Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft (John Victor Breech, manager).
26.1.1928: Anchored off Buncrana, Co. Donegal, dragged and grounded when steam drifter SHEPHERD LAD (LT7) made fast alongside.
21.1.1933: Off Milford Haven rudder damaged.
1.9.1934: Off Peel, IoM in collision and damaged stem.
6.2.1937: At Lowestoft struck Inner Pier damaging stem.
1930s: Seasonal fishing in the Irish Sea and off west coast of Ireland, occasional landings at Fleetwood taking bunkers.
24.6.1938: At Fleetwood landed 300 small boxes of herring grossed £153.
5.1939: Sold to Bröderene Anda, Stavanger (John & Trygve Anda).
24.5.1939: Sailed Lowestoft for Norway.
1.6.1939: Lowestoft registry closed “Sold to Norwegians”.
1940: Registered at Stavanger as “ANKER I” following conversion.
2.1940: Converted to a purse seiner and cargo vessel.
2.1940: Converted to motor and fitted with 2-cyl Wichmann oil engine, (reconditioned by Haldorsen-Sonner, built 1920).
1.3.1940: Sold to Ola Olsen, Jakob & Konrad Jakobsen, Auklandshamn (Ola Olsen, manager). Registered at Haugesund. Employed as a coaster.
11.1940: Sold to Jacob Lindberg, Kjøpsvik. Registered at Bergen as KJØPSVIK. Employed seasonal fishing and as a coaster.
1964: Re-engined with 180bhp Wichmann oil engine.
1973: Sold to A/S Dyrøgutt, Gibostad. Renamed “DYRØGUTT”.
1973: Re-engined with 3-cyl 220bhp Brunvoll oil engin
197?: Sold to Leif Tøllefsen, Svolvaer.
197?: Sold to Arene Larsen, Henningsvaer.
198?: Sold to Harald Nygård, Hasvik. Renamed “HEIMSUND”.
1985: Condemned and deleted from Norwegian register.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T Harnser LT627

S.D/T Harnser LT627
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham

Read / Leave a Comment

Additional information courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Official Number: 162956
Yard Number: 245
Completed: 1931
Gross Tonnage: 120
Net Tonnage: 53
Length: 94.3 ft
Breadth: 28.7 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft
Built: S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft

History

Note: Last steam drifter built in England

1931: Launched by S. Richards & Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Yd.No.245) for Alan Howard Watson, Lowestoft as MERBREEZE.
9.1931: Completed at a cost of £6,550. (Allan Howard Watson managing owner).
24.9.1931: Registered at Lowestoft (LT253).
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood (William Head, Lowestoft, managing agent).
3.5.1932: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Alan Howard Watson, manager).
21.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY.953) (Hire rate £69.3.6d/month).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Ty/Sk. W. G. A. Thompson RNR).
1.1942: Based Londonderry (Ty/Lieut. H. Wright RNVR).
11.6.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T. Re deployed as a minesweeping drifter.
6.8.1943: Lowestoft registry closed.
10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1946: Transferred to Ministry of Transport.
2.1948: Sold to P. W. Watson & Sons Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, manager).
27.2.1948: Registered at Lowestoft (LT365).
27.7.1955: Sold to The Breeze Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Allan H. Watson, Beccles, manager).
12.10.1955: Inward to Lowestoft, when some three miles off in collision with the Middlesbrough registered steamer NORTHUMBRIAN COAST (1180grt/1935) and sustained damage to stem and bow plating. Slipped at Lowestoft for repair
25.2.1958: Sold to Charles Henry Eastick, Gt. Yarmouth.
2.7.1959: Sold to Merbreeze Ltd, Lowestoft (John George Mitchell, manager).
14.10.1959: Completed conversion to motor by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted with 6-cyl 360bhp 4 stroke oil engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd, Lincoln.
14.10.1959: Surveyed and re measured 122g 42n.
28.10.1959: Trials on completion of conversion to motor.
26.11.1975: Sold to Colne Fishing Co Ltd, Luton (John Leggett, Lowestoft, manager).
18.12.1975: Lowestoft registry (Part I) closed “Vessel no longer fishing”. Stripped of all usable parts including main engine.
1975: Engine removed, rebuilt by L.B.S. Engineering Ltd, Lowestoft and fitted in offshore platform standby safety vessel KINGFISH.
1976: Sold to T. G. Darling, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft for breaking up by East Anglian Reclamation Ltd at Nelson Wharf, Oulton Broad.
13.10.1976: Lowestoft registry (Part IV) closed “Vessel broken up”.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.T. Merbreeze LT365

S.T. Merbreeze LT365
Picture courtesy of Robert Durrant © John Wells

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham
Repairs after collision with NORTHUMBRIAN COAST

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham
Repairs after collision with NORTHUMBRIAN COAST

M.T. Merbreeze LT365

M.T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT253

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT253
Picture courtesy of James Cullen

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365

S.D/T. Merbreeze LT365
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham
Engine for refurbishment and installation in KINGFISH

Changelog
05/10/2012: Page published.
22/06/2014: Picture 2 added.

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 118667
Yard Number: 356
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 92
Net Tonnage: 38
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 8.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by J. Abernethy & Co, Aberdeen
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilders, Aberdeen

History

Note spelling of name with the accented E (MARÉ) is correct. MARE is used to allow the search engine to find the entry.

1911: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilders, Aberdeen (Yd.No.355) for Joseph Johnston & Sons Ltd, Montrose as MARÉ.
6.1911: Completed (William D. Johnston Jnr, manager).
12.6.1911: Registered at Montrose (ME156).
7.1915: Requisitioned for war service as an A/S net drifter.(1-3pdr) (Ad.No.2200).
1918: Based Taranto.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Montrose (J. Johnstone & Sons Ltd, Montrose).
3.1921: Sold to William Widram, Eyemouth (managing owner).
21.3.1921: Montrose registry closed. Registered at Berwick-on-Tweed (BK416).
11.1927: Sold to Frank C. Burton, Lowestoft (managing owner).
11.1927: Berwick-on-Tweed registry closed.
29.11.1927: Registered at Lowestoft (LT362).
22.12.1927: Sold to Provincial Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (Frank C. Burton) (Arthur Gouldby, manager).
22.4.1930: Frank C. Burton died.
22.5.1933: In accordance with terms of Will vessel registered to Edith Clara Burton (16/64), Clement Ernest Burton (16/64), Arthur Gouldby (16/64), George Mitchell (16/64), trading as Provincial Fishing Co Ltd (Arthur Gouldby, manager).
1936: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, managing agents).
13.7.1936: Last landing at Fleetwood, 48 boxes grossed £96. Laid up at Fleetwood.
1.1937: Sailed Fleetwood for Milford.
31.1.1937: Landed at Milford (Sk. Walter Aldridge Jnr).
10.2.1937: Sold to Kenneth Llewellyn, Milford Haven (16/64), Sk. John William Chenery, Lowestoft (16/64), George Mitchell, Lowestoft (16/64), Arthur Claude Mitchell, Lowestoft (16/64) (Arthur Claude Mitchell, manager).
20.8.1938: On a trip from Milford (Sk. Jack Chenery). Responded to distress from Glasgow steam coaster GIRASOL (648grt/1926) off Pembroke coast abandoned with severe list due to cargo shifting and crew picked up by Glasgow steamer SHUNA (1575grt/1937) and Liverpool steamer AGUILA (3255grt/1917). Having stood by and vessel had not foundered, boarded and at 6.20 pm. connected and commenced tow to Milford.
21.8.1934: Delivered Milford at 9.00 am and beached.
28.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as on balloon barrage (P.No.FY1508) (Hire rate £25.0.0d/month).
6.1940: At Dunkirk evacuation (Operation Dynamo).
1940: Fitted out as a minesweeper (Hire rate £26.2.9d/month). Based Lowestoft, Harwich, Felixstowe.
1.1942: Based at Ipswich as Armed Patrol Drifter (2-MGs (1×2)).
12.10.1945: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold for breaking up.
16.1.1947: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Maré LT362

S.D/T. Maré LT362
Picture courtesy of John Clarkson

Read / Leave a Comment

Technical

Official Number: 149248
Yard Number: 1037
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 139
Net Tonnage: 47
Length: 102.5 ft
Breadth: 20.5 ft
Depth: 9. 6ft
Engine:T.3-cyl by Industrieele Maats. “Hera”, Ijmuiden
Built: Gebr. Boot, Leiderdorp, The Netherlands

History

1917: Completed by Gebr. Boot, Leiderdorp, The Netherlands (Yd.No.1037) for N.V. Exploitatie & Administratie Maats “Shamrock I”, IJmuiden (S. Koster, manager) as AMALIA. Registered IJmuiden (IJM324).
12.1930: Sold to Hobsons & Co (Lowestoft) Ltd, Lowestoft (Charles W. Dance, manager) (£2550) to fish from Fleetwood.
12.1930: IJmuiden registry closed.
19.12.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT241).
20.11.1930: Sold to Vigilant Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (J. C. Hayward, manager).
1930: G. F. Spashett appointed manager.
1932: Fishing from Lowestoft, Padstow, Milford and Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent at Fleetwood).
12.4.1933: Sustained damage in collision with HERCULES (FD172).
1936: Fishing from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
13.4.1938: Damaged stern while berthing at Fleetwood.
1.7.1938: Sustained damage in collision with dredger at Fleetwood.
1.7.1938: Sustained broken tailshaft, THRIFTY (LT152) connected and delivered Fleetwood.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No. FY.1502) (Hire rate £33.12.0d/month).
4.1943: Transferred to miscellaneous Naval duties.
3.1945: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Ole Vea, Akrehamn, Haugesund, Norway. Lowestoft registry closed. Registered at Haugesund as EGGÖY.
1949: Re-engined with 2stroke 4-cyl oil engine by Frederikshavns Jernst. & Msk., Frederikshavns.
1949: Re-measured 150g 63n.
1954: Lengthened to 38,46 (126.2) (loa) 191g 84n.
1960: Re-engined with 298kW (460bhp) 2stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Alpha-Diesel A/S, Falkenburg.
Post1963: Owners restyled Ole Vea Partrederi, Akrehamn, Haugesund.
Post 1977: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Amalia LT241

S.T. Amalia LT241
Picture courtesy of Barry Banham

Read / Leave a Comment