Tag Archives: J. Uttley

S.T. Caldy FD66

Additional information courtesy of Barry Johnson Milford Trawlers

Technical

Official Number: 127420
Yard Number: 385
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 222
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 120.5 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: David Rowan, Glasgow

History

9.9.1908: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.385) for Neyland Steam Trawling & Fishing Co, Neyland as CALDY.
10.1908: Completed (Alexander Scott, Llanstadwell, manager).
20.10.1908: Registered at Milford (M228).
7.6.1911: Berthing at pontoon at Neyland collided with BUSH (M227) coaling, striking her amidships.
14.4.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr) (Ad.No.1372). Based Stornoway
6-8.8.1916: Assisted in salvage of Norwegian steamer ARANDA (1838grt/1890) (after-part) in Lough Foyle. ARANDA had been mined 5.8.1916 between Hebrides and North Channel and was towed into Lough Foyle where she settled on bottom (Mines laid by U.boat (U78)).
14.2.1919: Sold to Jonathan Uttley, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
7.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD66).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Sold to Mrs A. A. Uttley & F. A. Wadsworth (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
24.4.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.5.1921: Sold to Joseph Samuel Pettit, Frederick Steer, Walter Edward Wales, Charles Harold Bird, Milford & Joseph Baron Bardsley Huddlestone, Hakin (Joseph S. Pettit managing owner).
10.5.1921: Registered at Milford (M198).
11.1925: At Aran District Court, fined for fishing within the prohibited area. Also in court were the skippers of KEYES (LT580) and PHINEAS BEARD (LO283). Total fines £350.
23.9.1927: Sold to Joseph Baron Bardsley Huddleston, Hakin, Frederick Steer, Joseph Samuel Pettit & Horace Samuel Fiddy (64/64 joint owners), Milford Haven (Joseph S. Pettit, managing owner).
16.4.1937: Sold to Westward Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Edgar Erel Carter & Richard S. Bowen, Port Talbot) (Edgar Erel Carter, manager).
4.1938: Fishing on the Western grounds (Sk. J. Binham). Connected to steam trawler ARACARI (M101)(Sk. W. Parry) which had broken down and commenced tow to Milford.
7.4.1938: Delivered Milford.
27.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service, appointed as a minesweeper (Hire rate £55.10.0d/month).
22.1.1940: Returned.
10.9.1961: Landed her last trip at Milford (Sk. Bruno Linke).
9.1961: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up.
14.10.1961: Delivered Briton Ferry from Milford Haven under own power.
21.10.1961: Milford registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Caldy FD66

S.T. Caldy FD66
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.
25/02/2015: Information updated.
03/12/2018: Added an image.
21/10/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Slebech FD74

Technical

Official Number: 128741
Yard Number: 386
Completed: 1908
Gross Tonnage: 222
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 120.5 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: David Rowan & Co, Glasgow
Built: Smith’s Dock Co, North Shields

History

9.9.1908: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.386) for Neyland Steam Trawling & Fishing Co Ltd, Neyland as SLEBECH.
10.1908: Completed (Alexander Scott, Llanstadwell, manager).
9.11.1908: Registered at Milford (M229).
5.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-3pdr) (Ad.No.1758). Based Penzance.
27.8.1918: David G. Jones appointed manager. Based Falmouth.
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Neyland.
14.2.1919: Sold to Jonathan Uttley, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
7.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD74).
4.1921: Sold to Joseph S. Pettit, Milford Haven (managing owner).
30.4.1921: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.5.1921: Registered at Milford (M199).
1923: Sold to Hakin Steam Trawling Co, Milford Haven (Joseph S. Pettit; Frederick Steer; Horace S. Fiddy, Milford Haven & Joseph B.B. Huddlestone, Hakin) (Joseph S. Pettit, manager).
1927: J. B. B. Huddleston appointed manager.
28.12.1931: Whilst fishing 15 miles S by W of Galley Head sustained rudder damage. Contacted GORDON RICHARDS (M217) (Sk. by radio telephone. At 1.30 pm GORDON RICHARDS connected and at 2.00 pm. commenced tow to Milford.
29.12.1931: At 10.10 am. delivered Milford.
18.9.1932: Arrived Ferrol with port furnace cracked.
24.9.1932: Repairs completed sailed for Milford.
15.3.1937: Sold to Westward Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Edgar E. Carter, Milford Haven & Richard S. Bowen, Port Talbot) (Edgar. E. Carter, manager).
16/17.1.1938: In hurricane force winds and heavy seas lost wheelhouse (Sk. W. Faull, E. Harding, Mate and deckhand W. Davies escaped with minor injuries).
7.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties (Hire rate £55.10.0d/month).
13.1.1940: Returned.
23.2.1940: Requisitioned for war service and appointed for minesweeping duties.
28.2.1940: Returned.
2.11.1941: On Irish grounds (Sk. Harry L. Thompson). About 12 miles off Old Head of Kinsale picked up crew of CALIPH (M234) which foundered after being bombed by German aircraft.
6.1942: Sk. Thompson, Hakin awarded MBE for bravery in rescuing crew of CALIPH.
15.3.1943: Requisitioned for war service and fitted out as a fuel carrier (Esso) (P.No.Y7.28).
1.1944: Fitted out to a water carrier.
21.1.1946: Returned after survey and restoration at Milford Haven.
1959: Sold for breaking up.
21.3.1960: Milford registry closed, breaking up completed.

Annex A

5.1915: Commissioned at Milford. 4.5.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted with Hotchkiss 3pdr and fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.1758).
10.1916: Allocated Unit No.61 – Section A , 1st Division based Penzance (Sk. W. Maunder RNR).
By 1.10.1918: At Penzance (General Patrol and Escort work).

Changelog
05/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.

S.T. Kielder Castle FD40

Technical

Official Number: 113065
Yard Number: 6
Completed: 1900
Gross Tonnage: 129
Net Tonnage: 22
Length: 96.7 ft
Breadth: 19.4 ft
Depth: 10.4 ft
Engine: C.2-cyl by Tweedy Bros, North Shields
Built: Clelands Graving Dock & Slipway Co Ltd, Newcastle

History

16.1.1900: Launched by Clelands Graving Dock & Slipway Co Ltd, Newcastle (Yd.No.6) for The Castle Trawl & Line Fishing Co Ltd, North Shields as KIELDER CASTLE.
6.3.1900: Registered at North Shields (SN63).
3.1900: Completed (Richard Irvin Jnr, manager).
1913: Sold to Richard Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Richard Irvin, North Shields & John H. Irvin, Aberdeen, managers).
2.1.1917: Sold to Jonathan Uttley, Blackpool (Ernest Taylor, Thornton, manager).
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
22.7.1918: Sold to The Garth Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1.1919: Released.
27.2.1919: North Shields registry closed.
28.2.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD40).
1924: Sold for breaking up.
27.6.1924: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
24/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.T. Dinas (1) – FD63

Additional Information courtesy of Barry Banham and Ian Wilson

Technical

Official Number: 128747
Yard number: 399
Completed: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 219
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 117.4 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: Robert Stephenson & Co Ltd, Hebburn

History

7.1.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.399) for Thomas G. Hancock (32/64), Hakin & John D. Harries (32/64), Milford Haven as DINAS.
2.1909: Completed (Thomas G. Hancock managing owner).
23.2.1909: Registered at Milford (M19).
14.10.1910: Arrested for illegal trawling in Bantry Bay.
15.11.1910: At Bantry Petty Sessions, Sk Thomas Salter fined £75 with 5gns costs.
20.8.1911: Stranded on Shingles Bank, refloated without damage and proceeded to Portsmouth.
12.5.1914: Sold to George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven (managing owner).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.155).
18.2.1916: Attached to Unit 117 of Dover Patrol. Recovering kite when band of derrick carried away striking PO Arthur Garden (P.120675) on the head. Removed to Military Hospital, Dover.
26.2.1916: PO Garden died.
26.5.1917: Sold to Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood.
7.7.1917: Sold to Jonathan Uttley, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
7.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD63).
1920: Sold to Mrs Alice A. Uttley, Blackpool & F. A. Wadsworth, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1921: Sold to Joseph Arthur Marr, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1922: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
23.2.1936: In collision in Wyre Channel with steam grab dredger ROSSALL (239grt/120) and steam trawler HERO (FD227).
3.10.1936: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
4.12.1936: Stranded at Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal without loss of life.
14.9.1937: Fleetwood registry closed “Stranded 4/12/36 & became total loss”.
2012: Wreck still visible at some low water springs.

(Note: 23.9.1937: Wreck was being stripped by men working from the steam drifter HONORA EVELYN (FD165) which in the course of operations that day stranded on rocks inside Dunfanaghy Bar and also became a total loss).

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Dinas FD63

S.T. Dinas FD63
Picture courtesy of Jim Moore

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.
22/04/2020: Updated information.