Tag Archives: Taylor & Tomlinson

S.T. Arian FD130

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 127866
Yard Number: 466
Completed: 1910
Gross Tonnage: 221
Net Tonnage: 102
Length: 120.4
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.5 ft
Engine: 420ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Gt. Central Co-op Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Selby

History

8.6.1910: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd.No.466) for The Great Central Co-Operative Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby as the ARIAN.
11.8.1910: George Lowe Alward designated manager.
12.8.1910: Registered at Grimsby (GY584).
24.8.1910: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to William Somerville Letten & George Somerville Letten, Grimsby for the sum of £2500 with interest at 51/2% (A).
25.8.1910: Completed.
19.4.1911: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (B).
3.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.1404). Based Lowestoft.
14.1.1916: William Somerville Letten died.
5.2.1916: George Somerville Letten mortgagee (A).
22.4.1918: Discharge of mortgages (A) & (B).
22.4.1918: Sold to John W. Smethurst (64/64), Grimsby.
24.4.1918: John W. Smethurst designated managing owner.
2.5.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
1919: Returned to owner at Grimsby.
19.3.1919: Mortgage (C) discharged.
20.3.1918: Sold to Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood, after drydocking in Belfast.
21.3.1919: Joseph Allen Taylor designated manager.
24.3.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (D).
31.3.1919: Grimsby registry closed.
1.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD130).
18.10.1919: Sold to Tudor Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
1924: James E. Sellars designated manager).
1937: Sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield for breaking up at Preston.
15.7.1938: Fleetwood registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Arian FD20

Lucida passing S.T. Arian FD130
Picture courtesy of The David Slinger Collection

Changelog
18/05/2012: Page published. 9 updates since then.
06/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark.
08/07/2019: Updated information.

S.T. Allenta FD407

Technical

Official Number: 124787
Yard Number: 404
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 289
Net Tonnage: 113
Length: 135.0 ft
Breadth: 22.5 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 520IHP T.3-cyl and boiler by Amos & Smith Ltd, Hull
Built: Cochrane & Sons, Selby

History

25.6.1907: Launched by Cochrane & Sons, Selby (Yd. No.404) for Cargill Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as INDIAN EMPIRE.
18.9.1907: Registered at Hull (H957).
30.9.1907: Completed (Edward B. Cargill, manager).
1.1911: With other Hull trawlers icebound off W coast of Iceland; freed and returned home.
12.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.54” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.798).
1915: Based Queenstown.
7.5.1915: Passenger liner LUSITANIA (30,396grt/1907) on passage New York – Liverpool with 1,959 passengers. At about 2.00 pm. when about 15 miles off Old Head of Kinsale torpedoed by U.boat (U21); sank in 18 minutes in position 51.24N 08.31W. Left Queenstown and arrived on scene just after 3.00 pm. picked up about 100 survivors and assisted others in boats. Landed at Queenstown.
1916: Arthur Cargill appointed manager.
8.1918: Sold to Joseph Robert Elijah Mordaunt, Fred William Miles, Thomas Charles Miles, Harry Newman, Grimsby & George Arthur Newman, Cleethorpes (joint owners).
14.8.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London & Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (A).
2.9.1918: Joseph Robert Elijah Mordaunt appointed manager.
30.8.1918: Hull registry closed.
2.9.1918: Registered at Grimsby (GY1191).
14.10.1918: Mortgage (A) discharged.
14.10.1918: Sold to Morrice Wilkins (64/64), Manchester. Morrice Wilkins appointed managing owner.
14.10.1918: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London & Joint Stock Bank Ltd, London (B).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
2.5.1922: Grimsby registry closed.
4.5.1922: Registered at Fleetwood (FD407).
4.5.1920: Mortgage (B) discharged.
4.5.1920: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to National Provincial and Union Bank of England Ltd, London (C).
1.11.1921: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd, Fleetwood (D).
20.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ALLENTA (FD407).
1923: Sold to Soc. Sirius Ltda, Lisbon, Portugal.
26.10.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
10.1923: Registered at Lisbon as SIRIUS 2.
1928: Sold to Soc.de Pesca a Vapor Invencivel Ltda. Lisbon. Registered at Lisbon as ALBERTOS 2.
2.1.1945: Foundered off Cape St. Vincent following collision with US destroyer. Crew picked up and landed at Gibraltar. Lisbon registry closed.

Changelog
17/05/2012: Page published. 6 updates since then.

S.T. Louise SA50

Technical

Official Number: 124720
Yard Number: 353
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 270
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 125.7 ft
Breadth: 22.1 ft
Depth: 12 ft
Built: Smiths Dock Co. Ltd, North Shields, 1907
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields

History

23.7.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.353) for Crawford Heron, Swansea as the LOUISE.
8.1907: Completed. Registered at Swansea (SA50).
3.9.1907: Registered owners, Mrs Marion L. Ryde, Godalming & Colonel Arthur T. Sloggett, Paignton (Crawford Heron, Swansea, manager).
13.3.1913: Sold to George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven (managing owner).
4.6.1913: Mortgaged to Henry H. Hextall. Eastbourne (A).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service.
6.1.1915: Commissioned (Ad.No.144).
22.1.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted out as a minesweeper (1-6pdr). Fitted as Leader. Admiralty Number became (Ad.No.965).
16.5.1917: Mortgage (A) discharged.
25.5.1917: Sold to Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd, Fleetwood (Ernest Taylor, manager).
25.5.1917: Mortgaged to The London Joint City & Midland Bank, London (B).
31.3.1919: Swansea registry closed.
1.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD120). Based Granton.
1920: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
1920: Mortgage (B) discharged.
1920: Sold to M.J. vander Eb & Dresselhuys, Scheepvaart Maats, Rotterdam (J. Nierinck, Ostend, manager).
3.2.1920: Fleetwood registry closed.
2.1920: Registered at Ostend as BARON L DONNY (O203).
5.10.1922: Sold to Jules H. Nierinck, Blackpool (managing owner).
5.10.1922: Registered at Fleetwood as ALEC NIERINCK (FD414).
1925: Sold to Melling Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Henry Melling, manager).
15.9.1925: Registered at Fleetwood as TOM MELLING (FD414).
1930: Delete manager.
1932: Sold to Alexander Keay, Fleetwood (managing owner).
19.1.1932: Registered at Fleetwood as BAHAMA (FD414).
31.1.1941: Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, manager) for £7500.
4.5.1942: Sold to The Crampin Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Grimsby (H. G. Crampin, manager) for £8600 (Fleetwood based).
3.1945: Sold to Pettit & Youds Ltd (Frank L. Youds, manager), Milford Haven.
11.10.1945: Outside the dock at Milford waiting to proceed to sea, Jack Lyons, fireman fell overboard and drowned.
7.11.1945: On a trip to SW of Ireland grounds (Sk. Cherrington). In bad weather stranded on rocks off Berehaven Island. Refloated on next tide with little damage. Returned to Milford.
16.4.1949: Outward for fishing grounds (Sk W. Reynolds), in thick fog off St. Ann’s Head in collision with steam trawler P & Y (M1). Returned to Milford for repairs.
19.4.1949: Sailed on completion of repairs.
22.8.1956: At Milford Sessions, Sk. Victor Thomas was charged with failing to ‘return to the sea’ 26 stone of undersized haddocks. He was fined £5 and ordered to pay 1gn costs.
24.7.1956: Sold to Brugse Scheepsloperij (Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges) for breaking up.
17.8.1956: Delivered Bruges.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Bahama FD414

S.T. Bahama FD414
Picture Courtesy of David Slinger

S.T. Bahama FD414

S.T. Bahama FD414
Picture Courtesy of David Slinger

Changelog
19/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
10/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.T. G.M. FD103

Additional information courtesy of Peter Bell

Technical

Official Number: 128750
Yard Number: 420
Completed: 1910
Gross Tonnage: 225
Net Tonnage: 89
Length: 120 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.7 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering & Dry Docks Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: J. T. Eltringham & Co, South Shields
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

25.3.1910: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.420) for John H. Dove, Milford Haven (managing owner) as G.M.
7.1910: Completed.
19.7.1910: Registered at Milford (M47).
22.4.1912: Off St.Ann’s Head picked up part crew of steamer ASHANTI (3423grt/1897) Chief Officer and ten men), West Africa-Liverpool, disabled with broken propeller shaft who had left the ship to seek assistance. Landed them at Milford.
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.124).
9.8.1914: Arrived Devonport for Special Trawler Reserve; when stored to sail for Lowestoft. Ad.No. cancelled.
23.1.1915: Arrived Devonport to fit out for Mediterranean as a minesweeper (1-6pdr) (Ad.No.308).
9.2.1915: Sailed. Dardanelles Campaign (Sk. Henry James).
20.12.1915: Dardanelles (Gallipoli) evacuation completed. Redeployed.
Post 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Milford Haven.
29.3.1919: Sold to Taylor & Tomlinson Ltd, Fleetwood.
24.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
29.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD103).
18.10.1919: Sold to The Tudor Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: James E Sellers appointed manager.
30.11.1925: Sold to Frank Thornley, Blackpool (managing owner).
1.2.1927: Registered at Fleetwood as PASADENA (FD103).
3.10.1932: Stranded off Glengad Head, Co. Donegal (Sk. P. Petersen). Twelve crew members taken to Londonderry.
12.1932: Declared CTL.
28.12.1932: Fleetwood registry closed “Total loss 3/10/1932”.

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Pasadena FD103

S.T. Pasadena FD103
Picture courtesy of The John Clarkson Collection

S.T. Pasadena FD103

S.T. Pasadena FD103
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
16/01/2009: Page published. 3 updates since then.
14/09/2015: Information updated.
23/09/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.

S.T. Dinas (1) – FD63

Additional Information courtesy of Barry Banham and Ian Wilson

Technical

Official Number: 128747
Yard number: 399
Completed: 1909
Gross Tonnage: 219
Net Tonnage: 85
Length: 117.4 ft
Breadth: 21.6 ft
Depth: 11.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: Robert Stephenson & Co Ltd, Hebburn
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

7.1.1909: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.399) for Thomas G. Hancock (32/64), Hakin & John D. Harries (32/64), Milford Haven as DINAS.
2.1909: Completed (Thomas G. Hancock managing owner).
23.2.1909: Registered at Milford (M19).
14.10.1910: Arrested for illegal trawling in Bantry Bay.
15.11.1910: At Bantry Petty Sessions, Sk Thomas Salter fined £75 with 5gns costs.
20.8.1911: Stranded on Shingles Bank, refloated without damage and proceeded to Portsmouth.
12.5.1914: Sold to George H. D. Birt, Milford Haven (managing owner).
8.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.155).
18.2.1916: Attached to Unit 117 of Dover Patrol. Recovering kite when band of derrick carried away striking PO Arthur Garden (P.120675) on the head. Removed to Military Hospital, Dover.
26.2.1916: PO Garden died.
26.5.1917: Sold to Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, Fleetwood.
7.7.1917: Sold to Jonathan Uttley, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
By 12.3.1919: Returned to owner at Fleetwood.
7.3.1919: Milford registry closed.
8.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD63).
1920: Sold to Mrs Alice A. Uttley, Blackpool & F. A. Wadsworth, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1921: Sold to Joseph Arthur Marr, Fleetwood (managing owner).
1922: Sold to Dinas Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Marr, manager).
3.10.1936: Mortgaged to William Deacons Bank Ltd, London.
4.12.1936: Stranded at Dunfanaghy, Co. Donegal without loss of life.
14.9.1937: Fleetwood registry closed “Stranded 4/12/36 & became total loss”.
2012: Wreck still visible at some low water springs.

(Note: 23.9.1937: Wreck was being stripped by men working from the steam drifter Honora Evelyn (FD165) which in the course of operations that day stranded on rocks inside Dunfanaghy Bar and also became a total loss).

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Dinas FD63

S.T. Dinas FD63
Picture courtesy of Jim Moore

Changelog
19/12/2008: Page published. 7 updates since then.