Tag Archives: New Docks STC

S.T. Saxon FD159

Technical

Official Number: 127401
Yard Number: 358
Completed: 1907
Gross Tonnage: 239
Net Tonnage: 93
Length: 120.3 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 11.6 ft
Engine: 57hp T.3-cyl by MacColl & Pollock Ltd, Sunderland
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields

History

19.9.1907: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, North Shields (Yd.No.358) for Neale Bros, Milford Haven (Wilfred Neale, Cardiff; Howard K. Neale, Morley H. Neale, Joshua S. Neale & Douglas E. Neale, Penarth) as SAXON.
10.1907: Completed (Morley H. Neale, manager).
29.10.1907: Registered at Milford (M211).
16.9.1909: In Bantry Bay (Sk. H. Hewer?), at about 4.00 am. in collision with Milford trawler CAYLPSO (M168) (Sk.Christopher Masterton). Sustained damage to stem and bow plating.
12.1910: Sold to Neale & West Ltd, Cardiff (Wilfred Neale, Morley H. Neale & Joshua S. Neale, managers).
15.12. 1910: Milford registry closed.
12.1910: Registered at Cardiff (CF31).
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-12pdr, 1-7.5” A/S Howitzer) (Ad.No.627).
1919: Returned to owner.
4.1919: Sold to The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
29.4.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD159).
17.7.1919: Sold to The Saxon Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Joseph A. Taylor, manager).
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
8.1930: Sailed Fleetwood for West of Scotland grounds (Sk. Arthur Christie): twelve crew all told.
21.8.1930: Fishing off Barra Head, decided to change grounds and set course for the Cairns of Coll off Tiree. With the skipper, mate, James Compton and a deckhand Samuel Harringham in the wheelhouse in gale force winds and a blinding rainstorm with visibility reduced, stranded on Hough Skerries, Tiree. Vessel was held amidships on the skerry and despite working the engine was held fast. The mate, with Samuel Harringham and George Stables volunteered to man the boat and lay out a kedge and in the rough seas it proved very difficult and once set took over an hour to pull back the 200yds to the trawler. Shortly after their return the Ch. Eng came on deck and said that the engineroom was flooding and the position was hopeless. The skipper ordered the crew into the boat and they pulled away for the shore which they could barely see through the slanting rain and rough waters. After pulling for five miles they landed on a Tiree beach where there were no rocks and although exhausted started to walk to Kilkenneth.
22 – 25. 8.1930: Broke up in heavy swell. Declared a total loss.
8.9.1930: Fleetwood registry closed “Totally lost 21/8/30”.

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
06/06/2016: Information updated.

S.T. Sapphire FD358

Additional information courtesy of Andy hall

Technical

Official Number: 139320
Yard Number: 676
Completed: 1917
Gross Tonnage: 262
Net Tonnage: 104
Length: 121.8 ft
Breadth: 22.6 ft
Depth: 12.2 ft
Engine: 515ihp T.3-cyl and boiler by Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd, Hull.
Built: Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

History

Class of two vessels Yard Nos 675-676 built to amended design of ONYX (Yd.No.581). Contracts were signed with Cochrane’s to build the vessel and with Charles D. Holmes & Co Ltd to make the engine and boiler. The names chosen were CORNELIAN and SAPPHIRE. In 1919, due to delays and problems beyond the shipyards control, a new total build price of £9,303.6.8d was agreed between Kingston’s, Cochrane’s and Charles D. Holmes. Total cost with all fees, classification and fishing gear £10,166.15.6d.

28.10.1916: Launched by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby (Yd.No.676) for Kingston Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Hull as SAPPHIRE. Building of vessel and machinery delayed by wartime shortage of components.
4.1917: Hull completed and towed to Hull for machinery outfit.
10.9.1917: Registered at Hull (H580).
29.9.1917: Steam raised and engine turned.
4.10.1917: Completed trials and accepted.
9.10.1917: Sailed Hull for North Sea grounds.
10.10.1917: Arthur Taylor designated manager.
17.10.1917: Landed.
5.12.1917: Requisitioned for war service (Ad.No.3077). Fitted with 1-12pdr, W/T and mine-sweep. Renamed SAPLER. Fitted out as Half Leader.
1.10.1918: At Falmouth working with Fleet Mine Sweepers (Asst P.M.S.O.) (Lieut. RNR).
26.02.1919: At Falmouth for refit and restoration by Cox & Co (Engineers) Ltd at Admiralty expense (£1,085).
31.3.1919: Arrived Hull. Taken off hire and returned to owner. Reverted to SAPPHIRE (H580). Work began on fitting out for return to fishing.
4.1919: Work completed (included – fishroom fitted with new boards, all running gear overhauled and new blocks and wires). All work at Admiralty expense.
5.4.1919: Sailed for North Sea grounds.
4.7.1919: Deposit paid by Lawrence Golding Fenner, Twickenham to W. A. Massey & Sons Ltd, Hull shipbrokers (£2,250).
11.7.1919: Sold to Lawrence Golding Fenner, Twickenham en bloc with near sister ship GARNET (H495). Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood, designated manager.
28.7.1919: Balance paid £20,250 giving total for pair £45,000 gross £44,700 net (£150 to shipbroker).
1.8.1919: Sailed Hull for Icelandic grounds under new owners.
28.11.1919: Hull registry closed.
29.11.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD358).
20.4.1920: Sold to Garnet Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor designated manager.
27.7.1920: At Fleetwood Magistrates Court: Deckhand John E. Wharton was fined £3 for disobeying a lawful order.
8.12.1920: At Stornoway Sheriff Court, Sk. Jeffrey Tomlinson, Fleetwood was charged with illegal trawling in the Minch. He pleaded guilty and was fined £50, with the alternative of sixty days’ imprisonment; trawl gear in use when detected was confiscated to the Fishery Board for Scotland.
1922: J. Nierinck designated manager.
28.1.1925: Sold to The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood.
3.1925: Sold to Perihelion Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Grimsby.
3.3.1925: Fleetwood registry closed.
4.3.1925: Herbert George Crampin designated manager.
5.3.1925: Registered at Grimsby (GY254).
16.8.1928: Transferred to fish out of Aberdeen.
12.1928: Sold to Dublin Trawling, Ice & Cold Storage Co Ltd, Dublin.
17.12.1928: Grimsby registry closed.
1.1929: Registered at Dublin (D18). P. Fannon designated manager.
10.3.1929: While fishing off the Isle of Man fouled propeller with trawl and unable to clear. Steam trawler DALBY (GY154) (Sk. Radford) responded to distress, connected and delivered Douglas where propeller was freed.
6.10.1931: Laid off Rockabill Light for 15 hours with boiler blow down pump trouble. Repaired and proceeded.
1.1935: Sold to Alexander Malcolm Morrice, Mary T. Morrice, John Morrice Margaret Morrice and George D. Taylor (joint owners), all Aberdeen.
1.1935: Dublin registry closed.
9.1.1935: Registered at Aberdeen (A248). Alexander Malcolm Morrice designated managing owner.
16.5.1935: Registered at Aberdeen as MARGARET MORRICE (A248) (BoT Minute RG 1153/35).
1936: Sold to David Dryburgh, Leith (Planet Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Edinburgh).
7.1.1936: Aberdeen registry closed.
1.1936: Registered at Granton as INVERCAULD (GN47).
13.4.1936: Sailed Granton for fishing grounds.
14.4.1936: Some sixty miles off Aberdeen in heavy weather, disabled and drifting with propeller shaft problems; unable to rectify. Steam trawler HUNTER (A289) outward for Shetland grounds, responded to distress, connected and commenced tow to Aberdeen.
15.4.1936: Delivered Aberdeen. Although only sixty miles, passage hampered by gale and heavy seas.
1940: Sold to Carnie & Gibb, Newhaven, Edinburgh (W. Carnie Jnr, manager).
16.7.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.1938) (Hire rate £76.8.4d/month).
1.1.1941: Based Belfast with M/S Group 144 (Ty/Sk. J. W. Carter RNR).
1941: Sold to J. Bennett (Wholesale) Ltd, London. William A. Bennett designated manager.
1942: Based Belfast with M/S Group 140 (Ty Lieut. J. H. McVea RNVR).
11.1945: Returned to owner. George Robb & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen, local managers.
2.10.1950: Sailed Aberdeen for Icelandic grounds (Sk. Albert S. H. Robb); twelve crew.
16.10.1950: While fishing experienced boiler trouble, intended to put into Vestmannaeyjar but damage got progressively worse and decided to make for Reykjavik.
18.10.1950: At 2.10 a.m. Skagi Light was abeam and shortly after vessel struck the rocks one mile NW from the Light. Icelandic patrol boat responded to the distress call and took off entire crew. At 7.00 a.m. heavy seas were breaking over the vessel and there was no hope of salvage.
1950: Granton registry closed.
13.5.1951: At BOT Formal Investigation (No.S.418), the Court found that the casualty was due to the default of her skipper, Albert Robb in respect that he left the vessel in charge of two uncertificated members of the crew whilst navigating close to a dangerous coast. Bearing in mind Sk. Robb’s many years of good service at sea his ticket was suspended for six month

(Note. Building instalment costings:
Shipbuilder
1.8.1916: Frames up – £1245
12.9.1916: Plating completed – £1245
30.9.1916: Launch – £1245
27.3.1917: £500
12.6.1917: £500
3.7.1917: Extras – £200
12.10.1917 : Final – £148.6.8d Total – £5,083.6.8d
Engine and boiler maker
25.6.1917: £1055
10.8.1917: £1055
11.9.1917: £1055
12.10.1917: Final – £1055 Total – £4,220

Humber Electrical Engineering Co Ltd, Hull – Electrical installation £291.10s

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Sapphire FD358

S.T. Sapphire FD358
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

Changelog
04/01/2009: Page published. 4 updates since then.
02/07/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
04/04/2018: Significant information update.

S.T. Nettle FD342

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Colin Reed

Technical

Official Number: 121230
Yard Number: 311
Completed: 1905
Gross Tonnage: 173.26
Net Tonnage: 64
Length: 110.4 ft
Breadth: 22 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Built: Mackie J Thomson, Govan
Engine: C.2-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge

History

19.4.1905: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.311) for Charles Finlay Paton, Glasgow (trading as Glasgow Trawling Co Ltd, Glasgow) as NETTLE.
5.1905: Completed.
17.5.1905: Registered at Glasgow (GW11). Charles Finlay Paton designated managing owner. Crewed and operated from Granton.
19.11.1906: On fishing grounds 30 miles E from North Berwick collided with trawler U.S.A. (GN25) sustaining considerable bow damage.
5.9.1907: In Firth of Clyde between Cumbrae and Bute, in collision with and sank bucket dredger CALEDONIAN (249g/1875). Arrived Greenock with severe damage to bow and starboard shell plates.
1912: Sold to Patons’ Trawlers Ltd, Glasgow. Charles F. Paton designated manager.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 69.45net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907.
7.1918: Sold to Port St. Mary Fishing & Curing Co Ltd, London. Charles Jeffs Jnr, Cleveleys designated manager.
25.07.1918: Sailed Fleetwood for Icelandic grounds in company with J. BAELS-MAURICX (FD362) (Sk. George Cooke), senior ship and MANNOFIELD (A526) (Sk. B. Hume, Blackpool).
7.8.1918: Around noon, from a position off Vestmannaeyjar, streamed log and in company set course for home.
9.8.1918: At about 2.30pm. when some 63 miles NW of St. Kilda, sighted a submarine on the surface, which closed and when about 4,500yds away opened fire the shells falling ahead, either side and astern. Sk. George Cook ordered the NETTLE to keep clear, withdrew and laid to ready to respond to any call for assistance (see J. BAELS-MAURICX and MANNOFIELD for action details). After about 3 1/2 hours of shelling by the submarine and the two trawlers, observed the submarine withdrawing; closed J. BAELS-MAURICX and after discussion set course in company for Castlebay, Barra.
10.8.1918: At Castlebay after the wounded had been attended to, it was agreed to sail for Fleetwood, a distance of about 250 miles, keeping inside the islands; sailed for Fleetwood at 9.30pm.
12.8.1918: At 9.00am. passed Lune Buoy and came to anchor, proceeded to Wyre Dock on the afternoon tide and reported incident to Lieut. James A. Robertson OBE RNVR, Port Fishery Commander.
5.9.1918: At the Wyre Dock Cafe a a luncheon was held presided over by Lieut. Robertson in his role as president of the Fleetwood Fishing Vessel Owners’ Association. This was followed by an address and presentation by Cdr Abbott RN of a gold watch and gold albert to each skipper and silver watches, all suitably inscribed, to all crew members of the three trawlers.
8.1919: Granton registry closed.
8.8.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD342).
1919: Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood designated manager.
10.11.1919: Sold to The Nettle Trawler Co Ltd, London. Benjamin Allenby c/o Sam Isaacs Ltd, Aberdeen designated manager.
28.11.1919: Fleetwood registry closed.
14.1.1920: Registered at Aberdeen (A262).
11.1921: The Nettle Trawler Co Ltd in liquidation. Laid up at Pointlaw, Aberdeen.
12.12.1921: Advertised for sale by John Fraser, Liquidator, along with steam trawler Diana (FD135). Last Lloyd’s survey 10.1919. Vessel in good order, recently overhauled and extensive repairs carried out and sold with all gear on board as she lies.
13.1.1922: Sold to Charles Finlay Paton, Glasgow. Charles Finlay Paton designated managing owner.
1925: Sold to Joseph A. Taylor, Fleetwood.
18.9.1925: Aberdeen registry closed.
19.9.1925: Registered at Fleetwood (FD61). Harold Taylor designated manager.
1926: Sold to Bourne Trawling Co Ltd, Fleetwood. Joseph A. Taylor & Harold Taylor designated joint managers.
11.1931: Fishing off the Butt of Lewis caught a strange creature 38ft long, tail 6ft across and weighing about four tons. In attempting to bring it aboard the rigging and stays of the mast were carried away and the verandah under the wheelhouse smashed. The creature was carried for about 30 miles but space was needed on deck and it was thrown overboard further damaging the rigging and mast stays.
1933: Sold for breaking up.
2.11.1933: Fleetwood registry closed “Broken up”.

Changelog
29/12/2008: Page published. 6 updates since then.
21/07/2016: Information updated.
28/06/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.
15/06/2018: Information update.
22/02/2020: Removed incorrect image and text.

S.T. Nancy Hague FD133

Additional information courtesy of Bill Blow

Technical

Official Number: 132406
Yard Number: 470
Completed: 1911
Gross Tonnage: 299
Net Tonnage: 121
Length: 130.5 ft
Breadth: 23 ft
Depth: 13.2 ft
Engine: 525ihp T.3-cyl by Shields Engineering Co Ltd, North Shields
Boiler: Richardsons Westgarth & Co Ltd, Middlesbrough
Built: Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

History

1911: Launched by Smith’s Dock Co Ltd, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough (Yd.No.470) for The New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood as NANCY HAGUE.
6.6.1911: Registered at Fleetwood (FD133).
6.1911: Completed (Ernest Tomlinson, manager).
18.3.1915: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.1360). Based St. Mary’s, Isles of Scilly.
1918: Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson Ltd appointed joint managers.
1919: Returned to owners.
1924: William W. Brierley appointed manager.
1938: Sold to The Clifton Steam Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood.
9.1939: On a trip to St. Kilda ground (Sk. Reginald King).
18. 9.1939: Trawling WNW of St. Kilda. Stopped by U-boat (U.35) in position 58.09N 09.17W; tried to escape and made use of radio to send emergency signals. Examined i.a.w. Prisenordnung (Prize Regulations) Art.54. Seized along with ARLITA (FD188) and LORN MINTO (FD51), as the smallest and oldest and ships boats were not considered safe for crews, allowed to take both crews onboard before they were sunk by gunfire; returned to Fleetwood. At 2047 H M destroyers SOMALI (P.No.F33) and MATABELE (P.No.F26) detached to assist.
10.4.1940: Requisitioned for war service as a boom defence vessel (P.No.Z.166) (Hire rate £74.15.0d/month). Cost of conversion £20,524.
27.8.1942: Sold to Northern Trawlers Ltd, London (William A. Bennett, manager).
23.11.1943: Compulsorily acquired by M.O.W.T.
10.2.1944: Fleetwood registry closed.
1944: Based at Fort William (D. MacBrayne Ltd, Glasgow, agents).
6.1946: Laid up for disposal. Estimated cost of re-conditioning £7,500.
3.1947: Remeasured 284.7g 109.13n.
3.1947: Sold to Kelvin Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Glasgow.
17.3.1947: Registered at Grimsby as KELVINDALE (GY463) (MoT Minute R.G.No.1663/1946 dated 20.11.1946).
7.3.1947: Ian Clarkson Macfarlane appointed manager.
30. 6.1947: Grimsby registry closed.
3.7.1947: Registered at Aberdeen (A371).
1954: Sold to BISCO and allocated to Malcolm Brechin, Granton for breaking up.
26.2.1954: Arrived Granton from Aberdeen under own power.
10.3.1954: Aberdeen registry closed “Vessel broken up”.

Annex A

18.3.1915: Commissioned at Fleetwood.
21.3.1915: Arrived Devonport. Fitted out for minesweeping duties (Ad.No.1360).
26.3.1915: Mounting fitted, gun not available.
30.3.1915: Allocated Unit 85 – Section D based at St. Mary’s, Scilly Islands (Sk. R. Wright).
By 10.1916: 3rd Division based at St. Mary’s, Scilly Islands (Sk. T. Farley RNR ).
By 1.10.1918: At St. Mary’s (General Patrol and Escort work).

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Nancy Hague FD133

S.T. Nancy Hague FD133
Picture courtesy of The Fred Baker Collection

S.T. Kelvindale A371

S.T. Kelvindale A371
Picture from The Internet


Changelog
29/12/2008: Page published. 5 updates since then.
14/04/2015: Picture added.
08/10/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.T. Heather FD101

Additional information courtesy of Andy Hall and Jan Harteveld

Technical

Official Number: 119183
Yard Number: 306
Completed: 1904
Gross Tonnage: 179
Net Tonnage: 51
Length: 110.5 ft
Breadth: 20.9 ft
Depth: 11 ft
Engine: 350ihp T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Built: Mackie & Thomson Ltd, Govan

History

14.10.1904: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan, Glasgow (Yd.No.306) for Hugh Alexander, John Templeton, Roderick Scott and Charles Finlay Paton, Glasgow (trading as Glasgow Trawling Co Ltd, Glasgow) as HEATHER.
11.1904: Completed.
16.11.1904: Registered at Glasgow (GW6). Charles Finlay Paton designated managing owner.
19.10.1907: Noted as arriving alongside East Pier, Greenock.
3.2.1908: While fishing off Fetlar, Shetland and having hauled in trawl boards and hanging, board was inadvertently lowered and jammed the right arm of deckhand Frederick W. Rossetter between the board and ship’s side with elbow and arm severely crushed. Stopped fishing and made best speed for Lerwick where Rossetter was landed for treatment by Dr MacLennan. In the afternoon making ready for sea and stowing the anchor, the anchor was allowed to fall sharply and crushed the second finger of the right hand of James Smythe. Smythe was put ashore to receive attention from Dr MacLennan. Another crewman was shipped before proceeding to the fishing grounds.
9.6.1909: Advertised in Lloyd’s List “Under Owners’ instructions” by Thomas McLaren & Co, Glasgow, the High class Modern steam trawlers, HEATHER (GW6) and BLUEBELL (GW5). Also NETTLE (GW11) and GOWAN (GW9) along with ACTIVE (GN51) and ALERT (GN52).
24.9.1909: In thick fog stranded on Swarth Skerry, Stronsay, Orkney.
24.9.1909: Successfully salved by A. Y. Stirrat, Aberdeen Mutual Steamship & Trawlers’ Insurance Co.
11.1909: Sold to Henry Orde McAllister Lees, Edinburgh. Henry Orde McAllister Lees designated managing owner.
7.4.1910: At Granton (Sk. Stevenson) landed 520 boxes of mixed fish caught about 120 miles E by N of Buchan Ness.
29.10.1911: Arrived Burntisland in tow of German steamer HEDWIG HEIDMANN (2084grt/1903) picked up some 70 miles off the Longstones in distress with broken HP cylinder and short on provisions.
31.10.1911: Arrived Granton in tow of local tug.
15.4.1914: While alongside Mearns Quay, Aberdeen. A carter backing a yoked lorry alongside struck Thomas Ellis, a store keeper, who was standing on the edge of the quay, knocking him into the dock. Seeing what had happened, crewman Allan Douglas (27), Leith, a fisherman, jumped in the water and successfully held Ellis above the surface until a line was cast. A ladder was let down and both men rescued, little the worse for their immersion.
19.5.1915: At Edinburgh Sheriff Court, Sk. Thomas Lees was fined £5 after pleading guilty to having entered the Firth of Forth on 15 May between the hours of 1.00 and 2.00am. when entry was forbidden during the hours of darkness under the Defence of the Realm Act.
25.2.1916: At Aberdeen landed a catch of 29 tons for a 15 day trip making £1,074 gross.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1918: Sold to New Docks Steam Trawling Co (Fleetwood) Ltd, Fleetwood.
1919: Released.
3.1919: Glasgow registry closed.
26.3.1919: Registered at Fleetwood (FD101). Joseph A. Taylor & Ernest Tomlinson, designated managers.
1919: Sold to Archibald Glen Brown, Granton.
4.7.1923: Fleetwood registry closed.
5.7.1923: Registered at Granton (GN98). Archibald Glen Brown designated managing owner.
8.10.1924: At Belford Magistrates Court, Northumberland, Sk. John Lyle was fined £20 with £3.1.6d expenses and trawl gear confiscated after being found guilty of trawling within the legal limit off the Berwickshire coast on 29 August.
1928: Sold to N.V. Reederij Zaanstroom, Ymuiden.
1928: Re measured 169g 61n to Dutch rules.
1928: Granton registry closed. Registered at IJmuiden as ROTTERDAM (IJM105).
1930: Sold to Visscherij Maatschappij Rotterdam, IJmuiden.
4.12.1936: Sold for breaking up.

Click to enlarge image

S.T. Rotterdam IJM105

S.T. Rotterdam IJM105
Picture courtesy of Jan Harteveld

Changelog
22/12/2008: Page published. 2 updates since then.
29/03/2018: Information updated and image added.