Tag Archives: Smack

s.v. Robert and Ann FD98

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 68617
Completed: 1873
Net Tonnage: 24
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Plymouth

History

1873: Completed by ??, Plymouth as ROBERT and ANN.
1873: Owned by William Leach, Fleetwood.
28.2.1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD98).
1.1.1880: Owned by James Hodge, Fleetwood.
1.1.1883: Owned by John Bradshaw, Fleetwood.
1891: Owner James Stone, Fleetwood.
1893: Sold to Thomas Rigby, Fleetwood.
6.2.1895: In severe weather conditions of gale force winds, driving snow in the Irish Sea (Sk. David Herbert). At night in total darkness, driven ashore on the Cumberland coast in Bootle Bay, between Ravenglass and Black Combe and quickly filled with water. Crew took to rigging but skipper remained on deck trying to keep the punt clear of water but was washed overboard and spent five to six minutes in the water until washed back onboard. Helped by crewman John Smith he crawled into the rigging in a very poor state.
7.2.1894: In the morning the wreck was observed by farmers, the crew were all in a benumbed, helpless state and helped ashore, the skipper was cut from the rigging and carried from the wreck suffering from frostbite and hypothermia.
!0.2.1895: Crew returned to Fleetwood having been looked after for two days by the farmers. Vessel became a total loss.
1895: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published.
07/12/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Prince Charlie FD151

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 68625
Completed: 1873
Net Tonnage: 24
Rig: Smack
Built: ?? Fleetwood

History

1873: Completed by ??. Fleetwood for Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood as PRINCE CHARLIE.
1873: Registered at Fleetwood (FD157).
1874: Sold to Philip Turner, Fleetwood.
1876: Sold to Charles W. Pater, Fleetwood.
By 1.1.1880: Sold to Richard Leadbetter, Fleetwood.
1881: Census at Fleetwood – Henry Leadbetter (27), b-Fleetwood, skipper; Isaac Leadbetter (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; William Wright (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman; Nathan Cowell (25), b-Fleetwood, fisherman.
18.11.1892: Returning to Fleetwood from a trip, five hands all told, in thick fog ran into Barrow registered iron steamer GALGORM CASTLE (181grt/1879) which had been at anchor near the Wyre Light. Crew taken off onto the steamer but line to smack cut and drifted off towards Morecambe Bay Light vessel and subsequently foundered 13 miles away.
12.1893: Fleetwood registry closed.
1894: Owners and others brought a case in the Admiralty Division of the High Court against the owners of the GALGORM CASTLE, claiming £750 for loss of the smack, fish and effects. It was stated that the master of the steamer, which suffered no damage in the collision, would give no assistance to tow the smack to Fleetwood and cut the line causing the smack to drift away and subsequently founder. The judge found in favour of the defendant with costs, attributing the collision to the improper speed of the Prince Charlie considering the weather conditions.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.
27/11/2015: Information updated.

s.v. Oyster Girl FD115

Technical

Official Number: 70157
Completed: 1874
Net Tonnage: 25
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Plymouth

History

Smack – trawling & drifting

1874: Completed by ??. Plymouth as OYSTER GIRL.
1874: Owned by William Poole, Fleetwood. Registered at Fleetwood (FD115).
1.1.1880: Owned by William Coulburn, Fleetwood.).
10.3.1888: Sold to Thomas Leadbetter, Victoria Street, Fleetwood.
10.8.1905: Fleetwood registry closed. Broken up.

Changelog
23/02/2009: Page published. 2 updates since then.

s.v. Mary Ann FD61

Technical

Official Number: 44268
Completed: 1862
Net Tonnage: 22
Rig: Smack
Built: ??, Grimsby

History

1862: Completed by ??, Grimsby as MARY ANN. Registered at Grimsby on the Shipping Register.
1.1.1875: Owned by J. & S. Oates,Victoria Street, Grimsby.
1.1.1880: Owned by S. Oates, Victoria Street, Grimsby.
18??: Registered at Fleetwood (FD61).
1891: Owned by Alfred Frederick Gee, New Clee, Grimsby.
10.5.1893: Sold to ??.
1894: Fleetwood registry closed.

Changelog

23/02/2009: Page published.

s.v. May Flower FD8

Additional information courtesy of Geoff Davidson

Technical

Official Number: 15210
Completed: 1852
Net Tonnage: 35
Rig: Smack – trawling
Built: Gibbs, Galhampton

History

1852: Completed by Gibbs, Galhampton as MAY FLOWER. Registered at Dartmouth (DH225)?
1.1.1870: Owned by Thomas Whiteway, Brixham.
1.1.1875: Owned by Mrs Elizabeth Whiteway, 9 Rockingham Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool.
1885: Sold to ??, Ramsey, IoM.
1885: Registered at Ramsey(RY??).
2.1886: Remeasured 32reg tons.
1886: Re-registered at Ramsey (RY??) after vessel remeasured.
11.1887: Sold to Charles H. Saunby, Fleetwood.
17.11.1887: Ramsey registry closed.
1887: Registered at Fleetwood (FD8).
21.1.1893: Sold to ??, Fleetwood.
31.7.1893: Advertised for hire, by day or week; accommodation for eight persons; fishing gear found.
21-22.12.1894: After a day of severe weather, in the early evening the NW wind strengthened and during the night in storm force conditions (100 – 120mph) foundered in the vicinity of Shell Wharf. Wreckage found at Norbreck.
1894: Fleetwood registry closed.
28.6.1895: Body of James Ball recovered at St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea.

Lost* – Skipper John Roskell, Robert Roskell. ? Leadbetter and James Ball.

Changelog
22/02/2009: Page published.
11/12/2014: Crew information added.
28/12/2014: Added Thomas Whiteway as owner.
30/12/2015: Information updated.
07/07/2017: Information updated.