Tag Archives: Wellvale Trawlers

S.D/T. Jenny Irvin SN21

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4167
Official Number: 139889
Yard Number: 101
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 95
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 8.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Pollit & Wigzell Ltd, Sowerby Bridge
Boiler: A. Dodman & Co Ltd, King’s Lynn
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft

History

1919: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.101) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as GULF STREAM (Ad.No.4167).
10.9.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.8.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and placed on sales list.
3.10.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT601).
8.1920: Sold to James Ballard R. L. Dawson, North Shields (Robert Bogle, manager).
25.8.1920: Registered at North Shields (SN42).
31.12.1920: Lowestoft registry closed.
22.1.1921: Sold to R. L. Dawson, North Shields (managing owner).
1921: Sold to John H. Sheldon, Plymouth (George Williams & John Pease, Plymouth, managers) for non fishing purposes.
20.9.1924: North Shields registry closed “Vessel no longer fishing”.
1924: Sold to Joseph D. Irvin & T. T. Irvin, North Shields (Joseph D. Irvin, managing owner).
19.12.1924: Registered at North Shields (SN21).
9.2.1925: Registered at North Shields as JENNY IRVIN (SN21).
1931: Sold to R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Sir John H. Irvin KCB, manager).
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.980) (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month). Fitted with LL sweep, based at Dundee.
1.12.1943: Transferred to Ministry of Aircraft Production (MoAP).
12.1943: Sold to Wellvale Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
17.4.1945: McCandless & Piggot Ltd, appointed manager for MoAP.
1946: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce) (“Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow DalekomorskichSp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia, managers) under the UNRRA scheme. North Shields registry closed. Registered at Gdynia as EUSTACHIUSZ (GDY112).
1947-1948: Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth, then laid up until sold.
1.6.1949: Sold to Arthur Walter Eastoe, Ronald Clifford Cook & Richard Henry Colby, Lowestoft and John Odde, East Molesey. Gdynia registry closed.
3.6.1949: Registered at Lowestoft as JENNY IRVIN (LT57).
1955: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
3.3.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.
16.3.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog

16/10/2010: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.T. Alonso H887

Additional information courtesy of Mike Thompson

Technical

Official Number: 123260
Yard Number: 319
Completed: 1906
Gross Tonnage: 172.15
Net Tonnage: 50.53
Length: 108.8 ft
Breadth: 21.5 ft
Depth: 11.2 ft
Built: Mackie & Thomson, Govan
Engine: 280ihp T.3-cyl by W. V. V. Lidgerwood, Coatbridge
Boiler: A. & W. Dalglish, Pollockshaws, Glasgow

History

1906: Launched by Mackie & Thomson, Govan (Yd.No.319) for Hellyer’s Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull as ALONSO.
25.6.1906: Registered at Hull (H887).
25.6.1906: Charles Hellyer appointed manager.
6.1906: Completed.
19.7.1906: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The Union of London & Smith’s Bank Ltd, London (A).
25.3.1910: In collision in North Sea with steam trawler BLANCHE (H928) sustaining damage to shell plating on starboard quarter.
1.1.1914: Tonnage altered to 66.36 net under provision of Merchant Shipping Act 1907
30.11.1915: Mortgage (A) discharged.
1919: Released.
29.5.1917: Requisitioned for Fishery Reserve.
1919: Released.
14.2.1919: Sold to Elijah Headspith (64/64), Hull.
14.2.1919: Elijah Headspith designated managing owner.
22.2.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (B).
4.10.1919: Sold to The Mons Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
4.10.1919: Elijah Headspith appointed manager.
25.11.1919: Mortgage (B) discharged.
28.11.1919: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to The London Joint City & Midland Bank Ltd, London (C).
27.11.1923: Mortgagee restyled Midland Bank Ltd, London.
23.6.1933: On a North Sea trip, John Jackson (45), cook, lost overboard and drowned.
8.2.1934: Mortgage (C) discharged.
8.2.1934: Sold to William Claudius Farrow (32/64), and Stephen Nowell (32/64), both Hull.
9.2.1934: William Claudius Farrow & Stephen Nowell designated joint managing owners.
16.3.1934: Sold to Ocean Steam Fishing Co Ltd (64/64), Hull.
16.3.1934: Leonard Hopwood Tutcher appointed manager.
20.4.1934: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (D).
13.12.1935: Mortgage (D) discharged.
14.9.1935: Sold to Colin Henry Brand, Milford Haven.
27.9.1935: Colin Henry Brand designated managing owner.
2.6.1936: Vessel mortgaged to Barclays Bank Ltd, London (E).
14.12.1937: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Robert Parcell Lewis, Fishguard for the sum of £313 with interest at 5% (F).
4.1938: With GOZO (H545) converted for Spanish pareja trawling method.
4.1938: Newspaper clipping: “ J. F. Gwyther has been favoured with instructions to offer for sale at the Conservative Club, on Friday 15th September, the steam trawlers ALONSO, CAIRO and GOZO.
3.8.1938: Mortgage (E) discharged.
3.12.1938: Vessel mortgaged (64/64) to Ruth Brand, Johnston and Lillian Gertrude Brand, Burton (joint mortgagees) (G).
3.2.1939: Last landing at Milford. Laid up.
7.7.1939: Colin H. Brand filed for bankruptcy.
7.10.1939: Mortgage (G) discharged.
12.10.1939: Sold by order of the mortgagee under mortgage (F) to The Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Co Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
30.10.1935: Basil Arthur Parkes, Thornton-le-Fylde appointed manager.
8.11.1939: Sold to Fred Parkes and Charles Lucas Wilbraham (64/64 joint owners), both Blackpool.
19.11.1939: Charles Lucas Wilbraham designated managing owner.
25.7.1940: Sold to Wellvale Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Fleetwood.
15.8.1940: Charles Lucas Wilbraham appointed manager.
26.8.1942: Sold to Hull Merchants Amalgamated Trawlers Ltd (64/64), Hull
1.9.1942: Archibald Hudson appointed manager.
10.1.1944: Sailed Hull on a North Sea trip (Sk. George Underhill); thirteen crew all told.
13.1.1944: Last seen approximately 5 miles ENE off No.62F buoy, Hornsea. The joint Arbitration Committee adjudged the loss to be by unknown war causes.
16.6.1944: Hull registry closed. “Ship missing since sailing for North Sea fishing grounds on 10th January 1944.”

(Crew: Skipper George Underhill (68); William Abbott (39), Mate; Joseph Marr (52), Third Hand; John H. Chapman (54), Bosun; Harold Coultas (34), Ch Eng; Eric Smitth (30), 2nd Eng; Arthur Albert Stevens (28), deckhand; Robert H. Easter (29), Charles E. Osborne (44) and Arthur E. Smith (36), Spare Hands; Charles W. Gibson, Fireman/trimmer; George E. Croft (43), Trimmer and James F. Coull (71), Cook)

Click to enlarge images

S.T. Alonso H887

S.T. Alonso H887
Picture courtesy of The Bill Blow collection

S.T. Alonso H887

S.T. Alonso H887
Picture courtesy of The Alan Hirst collection

Changelog
10/08/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
04/08/2016: Significant information update.
09/09/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
23/06/2019: Updated information.

S.D/T. Pilot Star KY84

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4150
Official Number: 145554
Yard Number: 501
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.3 ft
Engine: T-3-cyl by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt Yarmouth
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft

History

1919: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.501) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as DRIZZLE (Ad.No.4150).
10.2.1920: Completed as a fishing vessel.
8.5.1920: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1920: Sold to John Hackland, Newhaven, Edinburgh (Arthur A. W. Smith, Leith, manager).
1921: Registered at Leith (LH290).
4.1923: Sold to Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (George Catchpole, manager).
4.1923: Leith registry closed.
11.4.1923: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1060).
25.4.1923: Registered at Lowestoft as PILOT STAR (LT1060).
1.1925: Sold to D. Smith, Willam W. Carstairs, Cellardyke, John T. Graham, Anstruther & W. C. Wilson, North Shields (John T. Graham, manager).
10.1.1925: Lowestoft registry closed.
1.1925: Registered at Kirkcaldy (KY48).
1939: Sold to Mrs Margaret C. Smith, Cellardyke.
23.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on miscellaneous Naval duties (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month).
1945: Sold to Wellvale Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
1946: Returned to owner. Laid up.
1948: Sold to Drifters (Peterhead) Ltd, Peterhead (Caledonian Fishselling Co Ltd & Others) (R. Foreman, manager).
1948: Kirkcaldy registry closed.
1948: Registered at Fraserburgh (FR106).
1951: Sold to John A. Buchan & William Buchan, Peterhead.
1951: Fraserburgh registry closed.
1951: Registered at Peterhead (PD200).
Late 1953: Sold for breaking up. Peterhead registry closed.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Pilot Star PD200

S.D/T. Pilot Star PD200
Picture courtesy of The Ally Collection

S.D. Pilot Star FR106

S.D. Pilot Star FR106
Picture courtesy of The Scratcher Collection

Changelog

27/03/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
04/07/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.