Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham and Barry Johnson
Official Number: 149226
Yard Number: 578
Gross Tonnage: 138
Net Tonnage: 59
Length: 98.0 ft
Breadth: 20.6 ft
Depth: 10.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Crabtree & Co Ltd, Gt. Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Brothers (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees (foreside firing)
Built: John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft
1929: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.578) for Nelson George Utting (32/64) & William George Utting (32/64), Lowestoft as ASCONA.
12.2.1930: Registered at Lowestoft as (LT108).
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow and Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
17.3.1934: At Padstow damaged in collision with OCEAN SUNLIGHT (YH29).
24.4.1938: In fog in Morecambe Bay suffered damage in collision with KATHLEEN (LT673).
30.8.1938: At Bangor Magistrates Court, Sk. Noah Ayres fined £50 for trawling within the three mile limit in Caernarvon Bay (First summons under the Sea Fishery Act of June 1938).
20.9.1938: Suffered damage to propeller off Fleetwood.
13.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY949) (Hire rate £77.15.11d/month).
1.6.1940: Based at Harwich.
4.1945: Transferred to miscellaneous Naval duties.
1.1.1946: Sold to Vigilant Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft (David F. Cartwright, MBE MC, manager).
4.1946: Returned to owner.
26.4.1948: Damaged gallows when trawl came fast.
25.10.1948: At Lowestoft landed 216 crans of herring.
29.3.1949: Damaged gallows when trawl came fast.
12.11.1952: At Lowestoft landed 217 crans.
16.4.1953: Sold to Norrard Trawlers Ltd, Milford Haven (Frederick William Ingram, manager).
16.6.1953: Returned to Milford (Sk. Jack Chenery) with mast fractured when lifting haul of jellyfish. Landed 59kits grossed £311 (3 days).
25.10.1957: Sailed Milford for Lowestoft to be converted to diesel propulsion.
14.2.1958: Completed trials after conversion by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft fitted with 402bhp 4 stroke 6-cyl oil engine by Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day Ltd, Stockport (engine made 1947).
1958: Re measured 146g 60n.
7.3.1958: Returned to Milford.
19.5.1965: Fishing off the Smalls (Sk. Charles Manthorpe), deckhand Billy Owen injured in face when slip hook flew off gallows. Returned to Milford.
11.1968: Sustained damage to stem and bow plating in a collision at Milford dockhead.
12.12.1968: Arrived Gloucester for dry docking and repair.
6.1.1970: Laid up at Milford.
5.1970: Sold to Hughes Bolckow Ltd, Blyth for breaking up.
3.6.1970: Sailed Milford (Sk. Jack Utting) for Blyth in company with LORD COLLINGWOOD (M42) (Sk. Walter Robson) also sold for breaking.
8.6.1970: Delivered Blyth.
26.6.1972: Lowestoft registry closed. (16.7.1974: Mortgage to W.F.A. discharged).
Click to enlarge images
05/11/2010: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
18/08/2014: Picture added.
03/06/2016: Minor information update.
20/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
18/07/2019: Updated information.