Category Archives: Drifter/Trawler

S.D/T. Feasible LT122 (Seasonal)

Additional material by Barry Banham, Raymond Forward and Andreas Hagevik
Technical

Official Number: 132963
Yard Number: 373
Completed: 1912
Gross Tonnage: 103
Net Tonnage: 46
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 18.6 ft
Depth: 9.1 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by Elliott & Garrood, Beccles
Built: John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen

History

1912: Launched by John Duthie Torry Shipbuilding Co, Aberdeen (Yd.No.373) for William Catchpole, Kessingland as FEASIBLE.
5.1912: Completed ex propulsion machinery. William Catchpole managing owner.
2.6.1912: Registered at Lowestoft (LT1191).
3.6.1912: Arrived Lowestoft in tow for engine and boiler installation.
27.6.1912: William Catchpole (64/64) appointed managing owner.
9.1914: Requisitioned for war service as a patrol drifter and escort (1-6pdr HA) (Ad.No.221).
13.11.1914: Parent ship ATTENTIVE at Dover (Unit 3).
7.1915: W/T fitted.
1.4.1916: Collision between British steamer MACEDONIA (11,120grt/1904) and Norwegian steamer CORRECT off Elbow Buoy. Connected to Correct and commenced tow, but vessel began to settle, tow parted and foundered.
28.8.1916: Sold to Edward Catchpole (16/64), John Utting (16/64), Charles William Dance Jnr (16/64) & Henry Baxter (16/64), Lowestoft.
24.11.1917: At dawn discovered U.boat (U48) aground on Goodwin Sands. Closed and with other drifters opened fire which was returned. U.boat surrendered.
1919: Returned (Edward Catchpole, manager).
14.11.1919: Sold to Robert Kinnear (64/64), Doncaster (Thomas W. Chapman, Ramsgate, manager)
1.1920: Sold to Danum Steam Trawling Co Ltd, Ramsgate (Thomas W. Chapman, manager).
6.2.1920: Lowestoft registry closed.
10.2.1920: Registered at Ramsgate (R157).
11.11.1920: Reported that off North Hinder light-vessel connected to the abandoned German ketch STELLA, cargo pitch. Towed for four hours but vessel started to settle and foundered.
10.1.1930: Sold to John Victor Breach (64/64), Lowestoft.
9.1.1930: Ramsgate registry closed.
10.1.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT122).
11.1.1930: John Victor Breech appointed managing owner.
1.2.1930: Sold to John Victor Breach (43/64). Lowestoft & James S. Bush (21/64), Gorleston.
1.2.1930: At Yarmouth landed 180 crans of herring.
1930s: Seasonal white fish trawling from Padstow and Fleetwood.
31.10.1930: Damaged in collision with Cardiff steamer PENCISELY (3589grt/1916) at IJmuiden.
23.7.1932: Connected to disabled steam drifter STRIVE (LT133) and delivered Fleetwood.
6.8.1933: Broke mainmast at Tobermory.
21.3.1934: Sold to John Victor Breach (43/64), Lowestoft & Alfred James Manthorpe (21/64), Gorleston.
6.5.1934: Stuck and damaged by steam drifter BOY PHILIP (LT137), at Rathmullan, Co. Donegal.
30.7.1935: Sold to John Victor Breach (64/64), Lowestoft.
6.8.1935: John Victor Breech appointed managing owner.
5.1.1936: Damaged and flooded by heavy seas off the Smalls. One crew member Edward Halliday (25), of Lowestoft washed overboard and drowned. Steam trawler GOZO (H545) connected and delivered Milford.
8.2.1938: Sold to Explorator Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft.
9.2.1938: John Victor Breech appointed manager.
12.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No.FY928) (Hire rate £27.0.0d/month). Based Dover.
26.5.1940: At 6.57pm. ‘Operation Dynamo’ (Dunkirk evacuation) put into effect.
31.5.1940: Disabled by gunfire off Dunkirk. Steam drifter BEN & LUCY (LT714) connected.
1.6.1940: Delivered off Ramsgate.
1941: At Gt. Yarmouth (Sk. C. C. Findlay RNR).
1.7.1941: At Gt. Yarmouth (Sk. R. W. Vann RNR).
1.1944: John Victor Breach died.
9.4.1945: Robert Henry Self appointed manager.
19.5.1945: Sold to Pevensey Castle Ltd (64/64), Lowestoft.
17.7.1945: Arrived Lowestoft.
18.7.1945: Sailed for ?? for refurbishment and survey.
21.8.1945: Returned to owner.
24.5.1946: Sold to Engelbert Einarson, Vedavogen, Karmøy.
17.6.1946: Lowestoft registry closed.
22.6.1946: Registered at Haugesund as MELÖY.
1946: Sailed for Karmøy, in company with ROSE. In North Sea, ROSE experienced boiler problems and became disabled. Connected and delivered to Karmøy.
1947: Re-engined with a 3-cyl 2 stroke 220bhp hot bulb oil engine by Brumville, Norway. Converted to dry cargo and remeasured 99grt.
1962: Sold to Rothings Lekterkompani, Haugesund.
1974: Sold to PR Gunnar Daemring & Georg Vik. Based at Stamnes in Hordaland.
1976: Sold to Normann Veland, Eigangervag.
05.1989: Sold to Norvald Lunde, Stamnes.
200?: Laid up in Veafjord, Norway.
2000: Sold to private owners (Arctic Shipping, Cowes (?)) for restoration and live aboard.
5.2000: Re engined by Penzance Dry-Dock & Engineering Co Ltd, Penzance with 8-cyl 4 stroke 280bhp diesel by Rolls-Royce Ltd, Shrewsbury.
1.2008: At Penzance. Registered at Lowestoft as Feasible.
2019: At Lelant Saltings on the Hayle estuary

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Feasible LT1191

S.D/T. Feasible LT1191
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Melöy LT122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122
At Penzance 2007. © Treeve picturepenzance.co.uk

S.D/T. Feasible LH122

S.D/T. Feasible LH122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122
© Treeve - picturepenzance.co.uk 2009

S. D/T. Feasible LT122

S. D/T. Feasible LT122
Picture courtesy of Karel Oosterom

M.V. Feasible

M.V. Feasible
Picture courtesy of Trevor Snowling

S.D/T. Feasible LT122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122
Picture courtesy of Ashley Gardiner

At Dunkirk

S.D/T. Feasible LT122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122
Image courtesy of The Roger Lowry Collection

At Lelant Saltings

S.D/T. Feasible LT122

S.D/T. Feasible LT122
Image courtesy of The Roger Lowry Collection

Changelog
21/10/2010: Page published. 3 revisions since then.
29/08/2014: Picture added.
04/11/2014: Picture added.
24/11/2014: Updated information and added picture.
12/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.
25/06/2019: Added two images and updated information.

S.D/T. Jenny Irvin SN21

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4167
Official Number: 139889
Yard Number: 101
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 95
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.0 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 8.8 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by Pollit & Wigzell Ltd, Sowerby Bridge
Boiler: A. Dodman & Co Ltd, King’s Lynn
Built: Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft

History

1919: Launched by Colby Brothers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.101) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as GULF STREAM (Ad.No.4167).
10.9.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
24.8.1919: Transferred to Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, London and placed on sales list.
3.10.1919: Registered at Lowestoft (LT601).
8.1920: Sold to James Ballard R. L. Dawson, North Shields (Robert Bogle, manager).
25.8.1920: Registered at North Shields (SN42).
31.12.1920: Lowestoft registry closed.
22.1.1921: Sold to R. L. Dawson, North Shields (managing owner).
1921: Sold to John H. Sheldon, Plymouth (George Williams & John Pease, Plymouth, managers) for non fishing purposes.
20.9.1924: North Shields registry closed “Vessel no longer fishing”.
1924: Sold to Joseph D. Irvin & T. T. Irvin, North Shields (Joseph D. Irvin, managing owner).
19.12.1924: Registered at North Shields (SN21).
9.2.1925: Registered at North Shields as JENNY IRVIN (SN21).
1931: Sold to R. Irvin & Sons Ltd, North Shields (Sir John H. Irvin KCB, manager).
29.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeper (P.No.FY.980) (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month). Fitted with LL sweep, based at Dundee.
1.12.1943: Transferred to Ministry of Aircraft Production (MoAP).
12.1943: Sold to Wellvale Trawlers Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
17.4.1945: McCandless & Piggot Ltd, appointed manager for MoAP.
1946: Returned to owner.
1946: Sold to Government of Poland, Warsaw (Ministry of Industry & Commerce) (“Dalmor” Przedsiobiorstwo Polowow DalekomorskichSp.z.ogr.odp, Gdynia, managers) under the UNRRA scheme. North Shields registry closed. Registered at Gdynia as EUSTACHIUSZ (GDY112).
1947-1948: Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth, then laid up until sold.
1.6.1949: Sold to Arthur Walter Eastoe, Ronald Clifford Cook & Richard Henry Colby, Lowestoft and John Odde, East Molesey. Gdynia registry closed.
3.6.1949: Registered at Lowestoft as JENNY IRVIN (LT57).
1955: Sold to Belgium for breaking up.
3.3.1955: Sailed Lowestoft for Antwerp.
16.3.1955: Lowestoft registry closed.

Changelog

16/10/2010: Page published. 2 updates since then.

S.D/T. Norman Wilson LT1158

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4126
Official Number: 140843
Yard Number: 567
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.5 ft
Depth: 9.2 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl and boiler by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
Built: A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen

History

8.3.1919: Launched by A. Hall & Co Ltd, Aberdeen (Yd.No.567) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as TIDAL WAVE (Ad.No.4126).
12.8.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
11.12.1919: Transferred to The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh for disposal.
1919: Sold to J. Slater, Portknockie.
1920: Registered at Banff (BF604).
1920: Sold to A. & J. Summers, Peterhead. Banff registry closed. Registered at Peterhead as SOPHIA S. SUMMERS (PD379).
1920: Re-possessed by The Fishery Board for Scotland, Edinburgh.
1921: Sold to Alexander B. Summers, Peterhead (managing owner).
1923: Sold to William C. Wilson, Whitley Bay & A. J. Gardner (later J. & P. Gardner), Cellardyke (John T. Graham, Anstruther, manager). Peterhead registry closed. Registered at Kirkcaldy as NORMAN WILSON (KY228).
1939: Sold to Mrs L. R. Gardner, Cellardyke.
9.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service and employed on the balloon barrage (Hire rate £32.0.0d/month). Based at Rosyth (Attendance drifter).
194?: Sold to William C. Wilson, North Shields.
1946: Sold to Supreme Fishcuring Co Ltd, Fleetwood (Basil A. Parkes, Cleveleys, manager).
9.1946: Returned to owner.
1946-1949: Trawling from Gt. Yarmouth.
1947: Sold to Neptune Steam Fishing Co Ltd, London (P. Garnett, Epsom, manager).
1.1949: Sold to W. H. Kerr (Ship Chandlers) Ltd, Milford Haven.
12.5.1955: Last landing at Milford.
1955: Fished herring season from Lowestoft.
1956: Sold to Jacques Bakker en Zonen, Bruges for breaking up.
7.3.1956: Sailed Lowestoft for Bruges (Sk. Pye).
7.3.1956: Delivered.
1956: Lowestoft registry closed.

Click to enlarge image

S.D/T. Norman Wilson KY228

S.D/T. Norman Wilson KY228
Picture courtesy of John Stevenson

Changelog

15/10/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
07/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermark from image.

S.D/T. Kindred Star (2) LT177 (Seasonal)

© Barry Banham for FMHT

Technical

Official Number: 149212
Yard Number: 580
Completed: 1930
Gross Tonnage: 115
Net Tonnage: 49
Length: 92.1 ft
Breadth: 20.1 ft
Depth: 9.4 ft
Engine: T.3-cyl by W. Burrell & Co, Gt Yarmouth
Boiler: Riley Bros (Boilermakers) Ltd, Stockton on Tees

History

1930: Launched by John Chambers Ltd, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft (Yd.No.580) for Star Drift Fishing Co Ltd, Lowestoft as KINDRED STAR.
61930: Completed (Frederick E. Catchpole, Lowestoft, manager).
10.6.1930: Registered at Lowestoft (LT177).
1930s: Seasonal trawling from Fleetwood (Alex Keay, managing agent).
24.1.1939: Disabled in North Sea. Steam drifter ADVISABLE (LT168) connected and delivered Lowestoft.
1.12.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (P.No. FY1524) (Hire rate £64.16.7d).
6.1941: Based Portland (Ty/Sk. T. W. Sheridan RNR).
27.2.1946: Returned to owner.
17.10.1950: At Lowestoft landed 210 crans of herring of which 40 crans were iced.
5.1954: Converted by L.B.S. Engineering Co Ltd, Lowestoft, fitted with 300bhp 4 stroke 3-cyl diesel by W. H. Podd Ltd, Lowestoft.
5.1954: Re measured 120.49g 50.33 n.
29.5.1954: Completed successful trials after conversion to diesel propulsion.
29.9.1954: At Lowestoft first landing 7 crans.
22.12.1964: Sold to Leslie John Derrington, Lowestoft & Miriam Ursula Harman (joint owners).
Prior to 9.1965: Arrest warrant for unpaid harbour dues rescinded.
10.1965: Refitted.
19.4.1966: Sold to Leslie John Derrington, Lowestoft & David William Alan Chamberlain, Towcester (joint owners).
19.9.1966: Sailed Lowestoft for Bathurst , NSW, with huts on foredeck.
13.2.1968: Registered owners Kindred Marine Products Ltd, St. Helier, Jersey.
9.12.1974: Mail returned “owners not known”.
16.4.1985: Lowestoft registry closed on advice from Registrar of Shipping & Seamen, Llanishen, Cardiff.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture courtesy of The George Scales Collection

S.D/T Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T Kindred Star LT177
Picture courtesy of Steve Farrow

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture from the Internet

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture from the Internet

HMT Kindred Star

HMT Kindred Star
Picture reproduced under IWM Non-Commercial Licence

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

M.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture courtesy The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177

S.D/T. Kindred Star LT177
Picture from the Internet

Changelog
08/10/2010: Page published.
14/05/2014: Picture 3 added.
17/12/2014: Added another picture.
06/10/2018: Removed FMHT watermarks from images.

S.D/T. Kathleen LT673 (Seasonal)

Additional material courtesy of Barry Banham

Technical

Admiralty Number: 4143
Official Number: 139994
Yard Number: 10
Completed: 1919
Gross Tonnage: 96
Net Tonnage: 41
Length: 86.2 ft
Breadth: 18.55
Depth 9.3 ft
Engine: T. 3-cyl by W. Beardmore & Co Ltd, Coatbridge
Boiler: Gt. Central Co-op Engineering & Ship Repairing Co Ltd, Grimsby

History

1919: Launched by J. W. Brooke & Co Ltd, Oulton Broad (Yd.No.10) (“Admiralty drifter”) for The Admiralty as BREAKER (Ad. No. 4143.)
16.9.1919: Completed as a fishing vessel.
1919: Sold to Edward William Bird, Lowestoft.
10.10.1919: Sold to Head & Wright Ltd, Lowestoft (William J. Head, manager).
31.10.1919: Registered at Lowestoft as KATHLEEN (LT673).
1930s: Seasonal fishing from Padstow and Fleetwood (William J. Head, managing agent).
17.4.1931: At Padstow badly damaged when jammed under berth fendering.
25.5.1935: Off Irish coast, broke mainmast when hauling.
24.4.1938: In fog in Morecambe Bay suffered damage in collision with ASCONA (LT108).
23.8.1938: On Small’s ground damaged gallows after coming fast.
11.11.1939: Requisitioned for war service as a minesweeping drifter (Hire rate £32.16.0d/month) (P.No.FY1828).
6.1940: Based Swansea (Sk. J. W. Chenery RNR). Renamed CLARIBEL.
15.6.1940: Strafed with machine gun fire by two German aircraft but returned safely.
1943: Harold Frank Weeks, Fleetwood appointed manager.
10.1944: Employed on miscellaneous Naval duties.
1945: Returned and reverted to KATHLEEN (LT673).
18.2.1946: Sold to Anglo Continental Fish Traders Ltd, Grimsby (Harry Franklin, manager).
4.3.1946: Lowestoft registry closed.
9.3.1946: Registered at Grimsby (GY219).
1946: Sold to Norwegian owners. Registered at Haugesund as JOTNAFJELL.
1993: Sold to German owners.

Click to enlarge images

S.D/T. Kathleen LT673

S.D/T. Kathleen LT673
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

S.D/T. Kathleen LT673

S.D/T. Kathleen LT673
Picture courtesy of The Barry Banham Maritime Photo Collection

Changelog
08/10/2010: Page published. 3 updates since then.
01/07/2016: Picture added.
05/05/2017: Removed FMHT watermark from images.